Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I've been driving my 2001 XJ for 4 days now since I did the 3" lift, 31x10.5" tires, and got an alignment done. After seeing how it handles and drives since the lift, I have a couple of questions for people with more experience with lifted vehicles...

The steering now feels extremely sloppy. Is this normal? I can turn the wheel 4 inches in either direction and it doesn't really adjust the steering at all. Also if there is a slight crown in the road I have to turn the wheel against the crown to keep the vehicle straight. This was not a problem before the lift and now seems to be a pretty big problem. The steering just feels overall very sloppy compared to before the lift.

I also noticed that when I hit the brakes fairly hard, the Jeep pulls to the left pretty considerably, almost as if the rear of the truck wants to come around to the passenger side. I am planning on doing new pads and flushing/replacing the brake fluid anyway, but the brakes felt pretty good and at least consistent before the lift.

I also installed an adjustable track bar which the alignment person didn't understand how to use, so I know I need to bring the front axle about half an inch to the driver's side of the car, but I can't imagine that causing the brakes and steering to be so out of whack.

I am assuming this is all because the Jeep is 9 years old and has 130,000 miles on it, and that the problems were probably there before but have been accentuated by the lift. I may be wrong though, and since my only experience modifying cars thus far have been lowering them rather than raising them, I am in new territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
If you noticed a change in steering feel it's probably not due to age alone.

Don't hesitate to bring it to a different shop for an alignment. It wouldn't be the first time that a shop did a lovely job on aligning a lifted 4x4.

The stock drag link and tie rod on the XJ are hollow. Check to make sure that they aren't flexing under the additional stress of larger tires, and especially check the drag link as it's now operating at a steeper angle unless your kit included a drop pitman arm. If you're getting flex on these parts, the easiest way to upgrade is to swap out with ZJ (Grand Cherokee) links, which are solid.

You could probably use a new steering stabilizer on there, that will help a lot with the bump steer, but if your steering gear really is worn out, this will just behave as a band-aid. It's a cheap band-aid though, most stabilizers are about $30-50.

Check your tie rod end joints and ball joints of course.

Check to make sure that one of your rubber brake lines aren't getting hung up, pinched, or too short for the lift. If a line is kinked this could probably cause issues in the proportioning valve or ABS if you have it, resulting in the uneven braking.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input.

The more I think about it, the more I think the alignment was just not done correctly. I read on NAXJA that national chains will put the settings to factory spec instead of what is needed for a lifted truck, and I honestly didn't even think about that. I took it to Firestone for the alignment and I probably should have taken it to a 4x4 specialty shop or something. Well that was an expensive lesson. I don't really see any flex on the drag link or pitman arm, which seems normal for a 3" lift. Especially since this Cherokee had the Up Country package which gave it a 1" higher lift from the factory, so really it's just 2" higher than stock.

Fixing the alignment should help the steering issue hopefully, which just leaves figuring out the brakes. It does have ABS, but the lines all seem free and clear of kinks or being over extended. Hopefully new pads, shoes, and a fluid flush will help out.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Don't know about XJs, but on my YJ I had the same problem and it was fixed after replacing rotors and tightening the steering box. It wasn't so out of whack though, mostly like 2". The ZJ links is also another common mod for XJs.

If this is your first Jeep, welcome! Also welcome to the world of replacing parts with non-stock ones. It's a common joke among Wrangler people where you usually buy more parts that are not from Jeeps than those made for it from parts stores (at least people with older models)

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I don't think I've heard of one person with a lifted Cherokee that hasn't said there is some problem with steering and it being sloppy afterwards. There's lots of info out there about steering braces and basically beefing up every part in the front to make it more bearable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

incredibull posted:

Sorry I assumed that you were looking for a newer used TJ.

I don't know what I'm looking for yet. All I know is that I want a Wrangler. I probably wouldn't seriously consider one with a swapped engine unless I knew the person. I had a Comanche years ago with the 4L and it was plenty for me. Don't think I would want the 2.5L but then I've never driven one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For what it's worth my XJ with 2" lift and 31" tires doesn't have sloppy steering. I do notice a little bit of uneven braking when really slamming on the pedal though, like a small tug to the passenger side. I think it might be related to that caliper being recently replaced when the previous owner locked it up.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

mod sassinator posted:

For what it's worth my XJ with 2" lift and 31" tires doesn't have sloppy steering. I do notice a little bit of uneven braking when really slamming on the pedal though, like a small tug to the passenger side.

Thats how mine is too. 3.5" lift with 31's. It is my first lifted vehicle (or even SUV for that matter) so it feels a bit weird to me anyway. I definitely need an alignment as my steering wheel is about 15 degrees clockwise from where it should be.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
That's just the drag link, you can bust it loose with some vice grips and get it centered in your driveway. Not that getting a professional shop alignment isn't out of the question as you usually need one after a lift anyway.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
For alignments make sure you go to a shop that knows what their doing with lifted vehicles.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Do XJ's have the same caster problem when you lift them that TJ's get?

Also, don't XJ's have a solid front axle, which means all that is adjustable is the toe-in and drag link length? Is he wasting money on adjustments he can make in the driveway? Short of buying new parts, anyway.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EightBit posted:

Do XJ's have the same caster problem when you lift them that TJ's get?

Also, don't XJ's have a solid front axle, which means all that is adjustable is the toe-in and drag link length? Is he wasting money on adjustments he can make in the driveway? Short of buying new parts, anyway.

Yes they have solid front axles. What I am learning (complete 4x4 noob) is that I can adjust toe, drag link, and caster to a limited degree. I also have an adjustable track bar that I can use to move the axle laterally. I'll be fixing everything this weekend myself. I found some good write-ups on doing my own alignment adjustments. example: (http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm) Does this seem sound?

eames
May 9, 2009

I hope this wasn’t posted here before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwF8mdQwlw

Army guys strip down and rebuild a Jeep in 4 minutes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That is amazing.

:911:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What exactly is holding it together if it can be stripped that quickly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EightBit posted:

Velcro.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

EightBit posted:

I'm guessing they used cotters and pins.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

wormil posted:

I don't know what I'm looking for yet. All I know is that I want a Wrangler. I probably wouldn't seriously consider one with a swapped engine unless I knew the person. I had a Comanche years ago with the 4L and it was plenty for me. Don't think I would want the 2.5L but then I've never driven one.

(on preview, sorry if this is a bit long winded)

I own a '91 YJ, and basically what you're getting into is a vehicle that will go forever as long as you maintain it properly. If you have no mechanical aptitude at all, and no interest in learning, don't buy any Jeep unless you want to pay a shop.

poo poo's gonna break, especially if you wheel it. To be perfectly honest, approximately half the fun is replacing and upgrading parts you just broke. If it broke, it wasn't strong enough, so an upgrade is necessary, and once you have that stronger/newer/better part in, you're gonna want to take it out again, and as usual, you'll find the weak link.

Whatever you do, do not purchase a 2.5 liter YJ, unless you're buying it for parts to put on a 4.0 YJ you already own. The axles are particularly useful, but otherwise... meh. I've driven one exactly once, just to see what it would be like, and as hundreds of others have aptly stated: it can't even get out of its own way.

I have been operating on a shoestring budget with my YJ for the last 2 years, and now I finally have a decent paying job so I am going to do all the things I really wnated to before: SYE, 4.10 or 4.56 gears in the axles, hopefully replacing the D35 with a 44 or a 8.25 (whatever is the proper width, don't want to deal with narrowing), and all that jazz.

I never did more than an oil change in my life before I bought my YJ, and since then, I have learned so much. I've torn down most of my engine, I've busted and replaced the spider gears in my rear axle, I've replaced wheel bearings, learned everything about the suspension system, and chased electrical gremlins with a flashlight and a bottle of Scotch at 2:30 in the morning. Never once was I angry about it. :)

Anyway... that brings me to my new dilemma - in my free time I have been working at replacing the timing chain on my YJ, and after I got the radiator and fan out of the way, removed the alternator, loosened the power steering pump, and removed the belt, I got to the harmonic balancer. Due to the grease and grime (despite repeated degreasings and wire brushings), I did not realize there was a 3/8" thick steel washer on the front of the balancer itself, so I got the gear puller on there and went at it with a breaker bar that had an 18" wrench looped on the end of it. It was moving slowly, so I figured I was doing something right, and then -- FUCKIN SNAP! -- I reamed the harmonic balancer a new rear end in a top hat.

I had pics but waffleimages is hosed so I'll post them later. Too lazy to find an alternate. Anyway, the part that slips onto the crankshaft is still very much on the crankshaft, and the whole outer part that the belt rides in is unhappily disconnected from it. It was spectacular, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get the rest of it off of there without severely destroying everything else. :(

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus
I live. I ride a yam.

I'm not sure what to make of Chrysler's Jeep marketing campaign.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The more recent stuff seems to be less offensive to me than the earlier stuff (like that godawful hair salon Wrangler commercial, and the stupid, stupid clocks).

The Grand Cherokee ads, on the other hand, are badass. Every time they're on I feel compelled to run out and buy several new Grand Cherokees. :911:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dorquemada posted:

I live. I ride a yam.

I'm not sure what to make of Chrysler's Jeep marketing campaign.

Basically, every commercial Chrysler makes is them saying

"Yes we RAPED Jeep, but AMC said it was okay :( "

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I really like this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbSNy9jU2U

"It is made here, it is made well". Johnny Cash doesn't hurt sell it either. I kinda believe it too, the new suspension system is supposed to be pretty tricked out for off road, although who would put their new 40k ZJ against that?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

CommieGIR posted:

Basically, every commercial Chrysler makes is them saying

"Yes we RAPED Jeep, but AMC said it was okay :( "

At least Jeeps are still being made. It could have worse. *cough* Like what happened to that other division of AMC.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
A world without Jeeps is a world I don't want to live in. :colbert:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

mod sassinator posted:

They are the only interesting vehicles chrysler makes.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

fordham posted:

They are the only interesting vehicles chrysler makes.

Aw, c'mon. What about that bitchin' PT Cr... ha ha ha ugh, I can't even joke about that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mod sassinator posted:

Jeep is by far the most valuable division of Chrysler. Even if Chrysler went under hard, someone would grab it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Mounted a hitch on my XJ tonight and it wasn't that bad. If anyone is thinking of doing it here are some tips:

- First watch this video to get an idea of the steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dNP8ZISuU

- If you're reusing the factory nut strips get an M12-1.75 tap and put it through the threads to clean out the rust. I think this is required, my XJ has lived in dry climates but two of the unused nuts were loaded with rust and would have stripped threads like crazy.

- Get a friend and some jack stands to help hold and mount the hitch. Mine didn't really line up well at first and had to be coerced in a bit but finally seated itself when the bolts were tightened.

- Pulling bolts and metal through the frame rails isn't that bad. If I had the choice of pulling off the bumper and mounting a nut strip or pulling bolts through the frame I would pull the bolts through. The first one is fiddly and takes time but once you get it down it's quick and easy.

Now I've got good recovery points front (tow hooks) and rear so I can get a little more fearless on the trail. :)

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.undercoverfab.com/32-standard-2-deep-skids-carbon

Got this skid plate for the rubicon yesterday. I'm very impressed with the quality. It's 60 lbs.

I'm going to get it on Friday. I'll have to clean, prime and paint it before it goes on. I'm going with either red or safety yellow.(I'm taking off work to install it) Then I go to uwharrie Saturday.:woop::woop::woop:

I went with the 3/16 skid over 1/4 because the 1/4 was 18 pounds more, and i can imagine where an extra 1/16 will make a difference in the skid plate department. PLus it has that big rear end support across the middle. This thing is awesome, and about half of other skidplates.

SO LONG SHOVEL!

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 15, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

giundy posted:

I really like this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbSNy9jU2U

"It is made here, it is made well". Johnny Cash doesn't hurt sell it either. I kinda believe it too, the new suspension system is supposed to be pretty tricked out for off road, although who would put their new 40k ZJ against that?

Saw a movie with my dad, they played this, he said HURR THAT'S COOL, which was a surprising reaction from him. Chrysler is playing the patriotism thing pretty hard. Too bad like you said nobody will take that thing offroad any time soon and it looks more like a minivan than ever.

Have you seen how low to the ground the new Caravan sits? I guess they gave the GC the old Caravan's ground clearance.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

incredibull posted:

Saw a movie with my dad, they played this, he said HURR THAT'S COOL, which was a surprising reaction from him. Chrysler is playing the patriotism thing pretty hard. Too bad like you said nobody will take that thing offroad any time soon and it looks more like a minivan than ever.

Have you seen how low to the ground the new Caravan sits? I guess they gave the GC the old Caravan's ground clearance.

Not exactly related, but the new zr1 commercial takes the same idea of hurr america and actually makes it cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MaUe3bpRRY

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
beep beep new skid plate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

lots of stuff done. Newest being the basket:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Autoblog reports there's a strong rumor of a Jeep pickup truck in the near future. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/17/report-jeep-pickup-coming-in-2012/

This would likely be based on the badass Gladiator concept:

I'm surprised Chrysler would be interested in making what would likely be a very niche vehicle, but I think it's awesome. Maybe GM will revive plans to bring the ute over. :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Autoblog reports there's a strong rumor of a Jeep pickup truck in the near future. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/17/report-jeep-pickup-coming-in-2012/

This would likely be based on the badass Gladiator concept:

I'm surprised Chrysler would be interested in making what would likely be a very niche vehicle, but I think it's awesome. Maybe GM will revive plans to bring the ute over. :(

If they offer this with a removable roof, I'm totally buying one. Doubly so if they shove a small diesel engine that can be had with a stick in there as well.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

redscare posted:

If they offer this with a removable roof, I'm totally buying one. Doubly so if they shove a small diesel engine that can be had with a stick in there as well.

It'd likely be $40k or more, looking at Jeep's current lineup.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Faerunner posted:

It'd likely be $40k or more, looking at Jeep's current lineup.

Looking at Jeep's current lineup, only one model starts above $25k. I'm not counting the Commander because that's dead. Not sure what lineup you're looking at.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Hur, proofread before hitting enter, I meant 30 v:v:v Guess I've got the stupid today.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My 96 XJ is dead :(

It worked fine Sunday, last time I drove it. Went out to start it yesterday and nothing. Not even a click. I can run the stereo fine, though, and attempting to jump-start it didn't work, so I don't think the battery's the problem. When I turn the key one click past Accessory, I can hear the fuel pump priming, so I don't think that's shot either. Am I looking at replacing the starter? If so, how do-it-yourself friendly is that job to a fairly inexperienced person? It's the 4.0

I love my Jeep, why does it keep hurting me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's like two bolts and a plug.