Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

jeremiah johnson posted:

http://www.pima.gov/deq/waste/householdhaz.html

First result for "pima county hazardous waste disposal"

Sir, we are in your debt and stand humbled by your googgling. Though I wonder if the gas I expend driving all the way out there is worth throwing a printer and scanner in that heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wyatt posted:

As for what to look for, the lighter the frame the better, and the skinnier the tires the better.

This is true, but only if you only ride on nice paved roads. Any dirt-tracks will be uncomfortable with a skinny tire bike. Just keep that in mind.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

ProperCoochie posted:

Can someone explain this quote to me?

"Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears."

I guess it's kind of saying that regardless of the talent, skill, or sheer fortitude of the men, in war, the actions of those greatest minds combined is nothing more than an attempt the prevent the things that they fear most.

Surely the most prestigious air force pilot would be deathly afraid of an enemy dropping a nuclear weapon on his country if he spent his years as a pilot patrolling enemy territory, waiting for a signal to do exactly that.

I'm no Churchhill expert, mind you.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What are the rules to use a credit card? My boss rotinely gives his credit card to his junior manager for him to go to the store and buy stuff for meetings. How can he use his credit card? aren't they supposed to ask for ID?

My aunt wants me to go to the store and buy stuff for her, she gives me her ID and the credit card. So if they ask for ID I show them her card?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

b0nes posted:

What are the rules to use a credit card? My boss rotinely gives his credit card to his junior manager for him to go to the store and buy stuff for meetings. How can he use his credit card? aren't they supposed to ask for ID?

My aunt wants me to go to the store and buy stuff for her, she gives me her ID and the credit card. So if they ask for ID I show them her card?

Generally, you are not required to show ID by virtue of the merchant's agreement with the credit card company. In practicality, you only need to authorize the charges, you don't have to make them. Usually, credit card companies like to see multiple people put on the account though.

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

The kind of fortune that never misses.
I've never had a 'real' interview in my life.

I'm 99% sure my job interviewer said he was going to call *me* yesterday about setting up an interview for next week. I'm certain he said September 14, but since I didn't hear a peep, I'm starting to wonder if I misheard and maybe I should have called him. It might just be paranoia, since I really want a shot at this job.

I don't want to seem too desperate for this job or seem like creeper, so should I just give him one more day to call me, or risk looking too looking unprofessional and call him toward the end of the day today, just to make sure I'm still on the interview list?

Even if I should call, I have absolutely no idea what to say to make it sound less awkward. He already knows I'll have to drive about two hours one way just for the interview, so should I use that as a segue into calling him? One friend suggested I use the whole 'I'm setting up my schedule next week and was wondering...' spiel.

That sounded a bit pompous to me, but like I said, I don't know the protocol here, at all.

tl;dr: Should I call my interviewer at all to make sure I'm on the short list? Even if I do, what should I say is my reasoning for calling so I don't look like a buffoon?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Where I live, the people who call the employers back are generally the ones who get the job. I have no idea why it takes a lot of calling on the future-employee's part, but it does. It's worked for me several times, in fact. So my vote is for you to call. You don't have to give any spiel at all if you don't want to; you can just say something like "I was hoping to speak with you about setting up the interview..." and go from there. Your friend's method isn't pompous, though. It's totally doable. Also, he may "know" that you have to drive 2 hours to see him because you said it, but that doesn't mean he remembers it, especially if you're not the only candidate for the job and he's been speaking to a bunch of people.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

MissFortune posted:

tl;dr: Should I call my interviewer at all to make sure I'm on the short list? Even if I do, what should I say is my reasoning for calling so I don't look like a buffoon?

If you have an email address, use that instead of a call.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MissFortune posted:

I don't want to seem too desperate for this job or seem like creeper
If someone says they'll call you in a professional capacity and they don't, there's nothing wrong with calling them to see what's what. It's not like you were setting up a date!

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks, guys/gals, all good points. Maybe I just needed some reassurance.

Unfortunately, I do not have an email. But, I've decided I will be giving a call by the end of the day.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

MissFortune posted:

Thanks, guys/gals, all good points. Maybe I just needed some reassurance.

Unfortunately, I do not have an email. But, I've decided I will be giving a call by the end of the day.

How did you sign up for the forums without an email account? :raise:

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

sc4rs posted:

He doesn't have the address of the person he's trying to contact. Context clues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sc4rs posted:

I assume she means the email address of the contact for the interview.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Loopyface posted:

He doesn't have the address of the person he's trying to contact. Context clues.

He is probably a she with a name like Missfortune. Context clues.

also I'm an idiot

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

sc4rs posted:

He is probably a she with a name like Missfortune. Context clues.

also I'm an idiot

Haha, no biggie. Yeah, I was talking about the interviewer's email.

Edit: Regardless, I called and got the machine. More waiting, hooray.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Whats a good way to estimate the average wattage used by my PC? I have a 500 watt power supply with a core2 duo processor and a modern ATI video card. I know the 500 watts is a maximum and that I likely never hit it even when playing games, but I'm wondering what fraction of that I'm actually using while browsing the internet, or playing a graphically intense game.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wyatt posted:

As for what to look for, the lighter the frame the better, and the skinnier the tires the better. These two factors will have the greatest impact on your speed, and the greatest overall impact on how much you enjoy riding the bike. If you're shopping hybrids, they obviously won't be as nimble as a road bike. But you can still steer clear of beach cruiser style bikes that are just painfully heavy and slow.

What's the point of cruisers anyways? They're big, heavy, ugly and slow.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

The Bramble posted:

Whats a good way to estimate the average wattage used by my PC? I have a 500 watt power supply with a core2 duo processor and a modern ATI video card. I know the 500 watts is a maximum and that I likely never hit it even when playing games, but I'm wondering what fraction of that I'm actually using while browsing the internet, or playing a graphically intense game.

Most reliable way is with a "kill a watt" - a ~$20 device that you plug into the wall, then plug your PC into. If you're not looking to spend any money, I guess you could try to eyeball it from your electricity meter, but that's significantly more prone to error.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

What's the point of cruisers anyways? They're big, heavy, ugly and slow.

They are also comfortable, and bulletproof, and extremely practical. There is a reason they are called beach cruisers. Other bikes fall apart in harsh weather. cruisers with no cabling and a much heavier chain will run for decades without manintenance, even in salt water environment.

Crusier are extremely practical. Big tires mean no pinch flats. And it's very easy to hang five bags of groceries from the handlebars. Never met a cruiser that did not have a built into the frame kickstand. Bikes without kickstand are just toys, like snow skis.

People who use bikes as toys, and people who use bikes as tools are rarely going to agree on bikes. It's like a Lambourghini versus a Sentra. Which one will lose parts driving over a speed bump, and which one do people who don't even want to have tothink about having a car will drive?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2010

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are kickstands not usually found on "real" bikes? When I got mine the guy at the shop put one on.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

Are kickstands not usually found on "real" bikes? When I got mine the guy at the shop put one on.

Point is put on, means can fall off or get loose. Cruiser have the built into the frame kind which are way way more durable.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Question for people familiar with Indonesian stuff (or where I may find them): Is there a difference between regular Kecap Manis and Kecap Manis Rasa Mantaap, and if so, what does Rasa Mantaap mean?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
How do I figure out what generation a Kindle is?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eyeball posted:

How do I figure out what generation a Kindle is?

If it's all angular and wedge-shaped it's first generation.

Otherwise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Goddamn posted:

Question for people familiar with Indonesian stuff (or where I may find them): Is there a difference between regular Kecap Manis and Kecap Manis Rasa Mantaap, and if so, what does Rasa Mantaap mean?

It's been a long time, but from a drive-by stay in Malaysia I remember Manis is sweet, and Rasa should be smell/taste. Can't help you with the Mantaap part. So you'd have ?-flavoured sweet kechap. Maybe a Dutch user can help. They import a lot of Indonesian stuff.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 16, 2010

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

If it's any help, this is what's on the bottle:

(different bottle design though, taken off some photo site)

The stuff to the left of the balls is wheat crops, and the text on the bottom (just noticed it, should've mentioned before) is "Gurih & Kental"

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Goddamn posted:

If it's any help, this is what's on the bottle:

(different bottle design though, taken off some photo site)

The stuff to the left of the balls is wheat crops, and the text on the bottom (just noticed it, should've mentioned before) is "Gurih & Kental"

Best I can come up with for your original phrase is 'strong sweet tasting kecup', where 'mantap' is strong. But like I said, a Dutch user should know, 'cause they've got Indonesian restaurants all over the place.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does anyone know where I could get some good fingerless gloves? Not the hipster crap that doesn't actually provide any warmth. Almost all of what I'm finding is either motorcycle gloves (not very warm, too much padding) or work gloves (same issue). I need gloves that will keep my hands warm but still allow me to type. It's pretty cold and I have mediocre blood circulation. I want them to not go far up my wrist. So I pretty much want these but warm. A lot of the knitted gloves get pulls and wear out really quickly, especially if I'm wearing them often.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know where I could get some good fingerless gloves? Not the hipster crap that doesn't actually provide any warmth. Almost all of what I'm finding is either motorcycle gloves (not very warm, too much padding) or work gloves (same issue). I need gloves that will keep my hands warm but still allow me to type. It's pretty cold and I have mediocre blood circulation. I want them to not go far up my wrist. So I pretty much want these but warm. A lot of the knitted gloves get pulls and wear out really quickly, especially if I'm wearing them often.

Use weight lifting gloves! You can get them sorta padded or sorta warm and going as high or low on your wrist as you want, with or without padding.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Does anybody know who this piece is by?

I used to know, and it's killing me. I'm pretty sure I got it off of a lit theory blog or something a few years ago, so my gut says it's from, like, early 20th century Germany? The BB kinda suggests Brecht but that didn't turn up anything on google.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Archyduke posted:

Does anybody know who this piece is by?

I used to know, and it's killing me. I'm pretty sure I got it off of a lit theory blog or something a few years ago, so my gut says it's from, like, early 20th century Germany? The BB kinda suggests Brecht but that didn't turn up anything on google.

Anya Triestram

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

stubblyhead posted:

Anya Triestram

Oh man, thanks so much. First google image result and everything.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

chachu posted:

Use weight lifting gloves! You can get them sorta padded or sorta warm and going as high or low on your wrist as you want, with or without padding.
I'm actually using weight lifting gloves right now! An issue is that it's hard to tell how warm they'd be because they don't really advertise warmth as a selling point, as far as I can tell. Most of them are quite the opposite; they advertise that they are airy and stuff.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Any recommendations for permanent hair dyes of non-traditional colors?

My friend is going to dye theirs soon. I know hot topic carries dyes, but I don't really trust them to carry the best quality stuff.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Illusive Man posted:

My friend is going to dye theirs soon. I know hot topic carries dyes, but I don't really trust them to carry the best quality stuff.

How permanent? I think Manic Panic is pretty good stuff.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

How permanent? I think Manic Panic is pretty good stuff.

That's actually semi-permanent, it only lasts about a month and then starts to fade horribly.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

The Illusive Man posted:

There's a hair thread in W&W with at least one professional stylist in it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whats the name of the song that plays during the credits of this video. Fast forward to the last minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOSUqgYGrM&feature=related

\/\/\/ Thanks! :respek:

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

zVxTeflon posted:

Whats the name of the song that plays during the credits of this video. Fast forward to the last minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOSUqgYGrM&feature=related

The pixies - Where is my mind