Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Wax On posted:

Wouldn't a vibrating mouse cause your cursor to jitter every time it went off?

Yeah, I am pretty sure its not really a huge issue, or even something that most pc gamers would want.

Personally I would find it really really really annoying, and they have already had mice that rumbled, and they sucked (the only game that did much was Black & White).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.
I love my Logitech MX1000. Bought it 5 years ago for around $100 IIRC. When the battery died, I bought a replacement battery on eBay and now it's better than ever. When I got an iMac at home, I bought another MX1000 used (they discontinued it some time ago) and they're still kinda spendy.

Next time I need a mouse, I'll probably go for the G700. I just gotta have all those buttons, laser, long life battery, and wireless connectivity.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Man, I kind of wish they still had the MX300 kicking around. I still am using one that's god knows how old, the paint's worn on the buttons and the rubber looks like a grody mess, but the only thing that's wrong with it now is the mousewheel, which is starting to scroll up sometimes after flicking it downward. If there's a cheap way to fix this, I'm all ears.

It's crazy how the MX300 has literally disappeared. You can't even find these things on eBay anymore, I've tried. Someday archaeologists will uncover records from the bombed-out shell of Logitech's corporate offices with the mysterious model number 'MX300' and no-one will be able to locate a sample.

... probably because some hoarder went ahead and hoarded every one he could find to prepare for a lifetime of post-apocalyptic web browsing, I guess. :argh:

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

isnoop posted:

Next time I need a mouse, I'll probably go for the G700. I just gotta have all those buttons, laser, long life battery, and wireless connectivity.

Don't get the G700 if you need long battery life. That is not its strong suit. In fact it's pretty loving annoying. It'd be my favorite mouse of all time were it not for the crap rear end battery life.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
High DPI in newer mice really piss me off, especially on Laptops.

The packages boast that higher DPI improves accuracy. I don't notice any improved accuracy. In fact, it makes less accurate to me. Higher DPI = mouse pointer shoots across the screen with the slightest tap.

On a Desktop, I can turn the mouse acceleration all the way down and things work better.

But on Laptop? Under Windows, the touchpad or ThinkPad nubby also get turned way down if I turn down the mouse acceleration.
Windows has a single control for *ALL* mouse-like devices. Turning down the high DPI mouse makes it work fine, but if I'm out somewhere without the mouse, I'll find the nubby no longer makes the cursor budge, so I have turn the acceleration back up. When I get home and plug the mouse back in, the cursor shoots across the screen until I turn acceleration back down.

My MacBook Pro has separate acceleration settings for the TrackPad and Mouse. The TrackPad always works fine - but the mouse speed control settings are either "too slow" or (just one notch up), "way too fast". There is no in-between.

I've avoided high DPI in the past by getting cheap mice, but now Logitech's cheapest crap boasts "1000 dpi".

Is there a way to better configure things??

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 15, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a way to better configure things??

A lot of higher end mice these days come with both multiple DPI sensitivity buttons for on the fly adjustments, and software that makes each setting fully customizable.

Don't worry about mice that boast about insane settings like 5600 DPI. You'll most likely be able to easily adjust them down to like 800-1000 DPI with pretty much no problems. I use a Logitech G5 that's capable of 2,000 DPI, but I've never even adjusted the highest sensitivity setting past like 1,600, and even that's pushing it.

Anyway, I think you'll find it a lot easier to use a modern, more sensitive mouse with whatever OS you're using, just because of how adjustable they are. Even the most senstive mice with 5 million DPI ratings can usually be adjusted to as low as like 400. Set the OS mouse input to a really low sensitivity and the mouse itself to a high sensitivity and vice versa. See which way feels the best to you and just go from there. The more controls you have to work with, the finer the level of detail you'll be able to adjust to will be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 15, 2010

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Gigabyte GM-M6880, it feels a little cheap, but for $20, you get rubber grips on the sides and a rubber scroll wheel, designed with at least a minimal amount of effort. It's got a DPI switch right on top that works without drivers (worked on my Mac) that switches between high and low DPI.

I'm cheap and insanely picky and I went into a spiraling depression when my ancient USB Dexxa finally kicked it and in denial I used my laptop's trackpad for a month since I've never managed to use anything as comfortable as the Dexxa, but I've managed to move on WITHOUT buying a 100 dollar mouse.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It really blows that mice are marketed by their DPI, as though anything over 800 will good or useful at all. It's like how displays are marketed with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios.

apheleon
Sep 6, 2007
sofresh

nftyw posted:

Man, I kind of wish they still had the MX300 kicking around. I still am using one that's god knows how old, the paint's worn on the buttons and the rubber looks like a grody mess, but the only thing that's wrong with it now is the mousewheel, which is starting to scroll up sometimes after flicking it downward. If there's a cheap way to fix this, I'm all ears.

It's crazy how the MX300 has literally disappeared. You can't even find these things on eBay anymore, I've tried. Someday archaeologists will uncover records from the bombed-out shell of Logitech's corporate offices with the mysterious model number 'MX300' and no-one will be able to locate a sample.

... probably because some hoarder went ahead and hoarded every one he could find to prepare for a lifetime of post-apocalyptic web browsing, I guess. :argh:

I would HIGHLY recommend you investigate the Logitech M100. I just got one on newegg and it is very very similar to the mx300 in shape. The wire isn't quite as nice, and the mouse feet are poor quality, but the shape is excellent and the sensor is 1000dpi. Lastly, the M100 is much much lighter than the mx300, which adds to the "cheap" feeling. I believe you can also get a M110, which has tilt scrolling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104365

I would also suggest that you open up your mx300 - the things are very easy to maintain and the wheel is pretty trivial - you probably just have some dirt or something near the wheel sensor that might be causing the issue.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm looking into getting a new mouse. I've heard great things about the Logitech MX518, should I look at getting a G500 though? I heard that was the new generation of the MX518

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm looking into getting a new mouse. I've heard great things about the Logitech MX518, should I look at getting a G500 though? I heard that was the new generation of the MX518

The G500 is a really solid product all around. The weighted free-scroll is a feature that I wouldn't give up. The texture, materials, and adjustable weight are also nice.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Am I the only one waiting for the Cyborg R.A.T 9?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

fleshweasel posted:

as though anything over 800 will good or useful at all

To each his own -- I use 1800 DPI on my Xai for general computing, RTS, and MMOs and I have a switch to toggle to 650 DPI if I'm playing a FPS.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Back to the DPI thing for a minute, I use an MS Habu set to 2000dpi on my laptop with 1366*768 resolution display and a SidewinderX8 with buttons preset for 1000-2000-4000dpi on my desktop with two monitors. One 1920*1080 the other 1280*1024. It took a while to get used to but now I find it much more comfortable trying to map 1/2" mouse movement = 1*screen width.

When playing FPS games using a sniper rifle or trying to draw anything in an art package I switch down to 1000dpi. A semi-auto pistol with iron sights is ok on 2000dpi and shotguns/machine guns get the full 4000dpi because it's much more important being able to turn 180 by twitching my thumb and third finger a tiny bit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gothmog1065 posted:

Laser mice are poo poo, weights are a complete gimmick, and the free scrolling thing is a gimmick for retarded people who don't realize you can click the middle mouse button. Get an MX518 or some other optical. If you want to spend more money maybe buy a deathadder, they look better to hold than an MX518.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 19, 2010

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Laser mice are poo poo, weights are a complete gimmick, and the free scrolling thing is a gimmick for retarded people who don't realize you can click the middle mouse button. Get an MX518 or some other optical. If you want to spend more money maybe buy a deathadder, they look better to hold than an MX518.
It's obvious that you've never used free-scroll for any period of time. It's wonderful for web pages and documents. Middle-click scroll is awful in comparison. My 518 is collecting dust now that I have a G500.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

K8.0 posted:

I used a 518 for years, but always just wished it was a little heavier. I also quickly wore out the teflon pads, which pissed me off. They actually came unglued. That is not going to happen on the G500.

I had no idea what free scroll was when I bought the G500, but it blows middle click out of the water.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I can't believe anyone could actually use middle click scroll and then prefer something that is slower, less precise, requires more finger gymnastics, and renders your middle button useless for anything else you might want to do with it. What exactly do you like about it?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

K8.0 posted:

I can't believe anyone could actually use middle click scroll and then prefer something that is slower, less precise, requires more finger gymnastics, and renders your middle button useless for anything else you might want to do with it. What exactly do you like about it?

Considering I don't agree with any of your comparisons, it's probably not worth discussing. A tiny flick of a single finger sends the page scrolling at a measured pace (as fast or slow as I flick it), which I can stop on a dime. This is not gymnastics.

When you keep your finger on the wheel it acts like a normal wheel, and is easy to fine tune. Also it doesn't put the mouse in a different mode, which takes away all other functionality.

Adjusting the scroll acceleration by moving the entire mouse away from the arbitrary point where you clicked, careful not to move off the page or move it past a threshold that goes way too fast. That is gymnastics.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I don't like free scroll because it means I can't use middle click to open new tabs in browsers.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

I don't like free scroll because it means I can't use middle click to open new tabs in browsers.
Yes you can. In free scroll mode, the wheel still acts as a button.

GosuProbe
Apr 14, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Absolutely not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GosuProbe posted:

Absolutely not.

Yeah. I already have two mice and want this one. It's the same as the 7 just wireless, right? Is it bluetooth or does it need some wireless usb dongle or something? Is the non-wireless version popular?

Also I got the Razer vespula mouse pad because I wanted something that was big with wrist support. It's not obnoxiously large, has two side, and the wrist support is quite small and unobtrusive. I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Vespula-RZ02-00320100-R3U1-Dual-Sided-Gaming/dp/B0036WTBFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284932081&sr=8-1

I can take photos if you guys would like to see the size.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

bunky posted:

Yes you can. In free scroll mode, the wheel still acts as a button.

Well I tried it on a friend's MX Revolution and I couldn't. :shobon:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

Well I tried it on a friend's MX Revolution and I couldn't. :shobon:
Well, if you have the middle button mapped to anything other than 'default' it won't work. It works on my G500.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

headcase posted:

Considering I don't agree with any of your comparisons, it's probably not worth discussing. A tiny flick of a single finger sends the page scrolling at a measured pace (as fast or slow as I flick it), which I can stop on a dime. This is not gymnastics.

When you keep your finger on the wheel it acts like a normal wheel, and is easy to fine tune. Also it doesn't put the mouse in a different mode, which takes away all other functionality.

Adjusting the scroll acceleration by moving the entire mouse away from the arbitrary point where you clicked, careful not to move off the page or move it past a threshold that goes way too fast. That is gymnastics.

If flicking a round thing with your finger is faster and more precise than using a mouse, why aren't you using a trackball?

Your last paragraph makes it pretty obvious you are using mouse acceleration and/or far too many DPI.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Seeing as this has turned in to a love/hate relationship with free scroll, I have to ask: What is free scroll?

It sounds kind of like what my phone does when I flick my finger down it through a long list (The phone actually slows down after a bit unless you keep doing it). Is it similar to this or something completely different. I never use my middle click scroll, I think it's a mildly retarded feature.

Phangor
Apr 22, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gothmog1065 posted:

Seeing as this has turned in to a love/hate relationship with free scroll, I have to ask: What is free scroll?

It sounds kind of like what my phone does when I flick my finger down it through a long list (The phone actually slows down after a bit unless you keep doing it). Is it similar to this or something completely different. I never use my middle click scroll, I think it's a mildly retarded feature.

Most mice wheels have what feels like little notches when you scroll. Definite increments that it clicks through.

Free scroll takes that away, the mouse wheel can just spin with no clicking one by one. Kinda hard to describe. It is nice being able to switch between the two

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Phangor posted:

Free scroll takes that away, the mouse wheel can just spin with no clicking one by one. Kinda hard to describe. It is nice being able to switch between the two
Oooh, okay. That's actually pretty interesting. Does the G500 have the ability to switch or am I reading the last bit wrong?

Phangor
Apr 22, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gothmog1065 posted:

Oooh, okay. That's actually pretty interesting. Does the G500 have the ability to switch or am I reading the last bit wrong?

Yes, it has a button right under the scroll wheel that lets you switch between the two. Pretty neat button, has a nice mechanical thunk to it, really feels like its doing something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Yeah, you can switch between the smooth scroll and the notchy scroll. There's a button below the mouse wheel for it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if I could do it over I'd buy something that fit my hand better than the G9x, but I love freescrolling. Middle-click scrolling bothers me somehow, and it still feels a little slow. Free scrolling is especially great for really long PDFs, especially ones that are shoddily bookmarked: I can just flick a finger, watch the pages skim by until I see the one I need, and stop it.

I noticed someone earlier posting that 800dpi is all you need, which seems a little weird to me, but I guess it's down to personal preferences. My mouse goes all the way to 5600 or so, but it's true that that level is completely ridiculous and I can't think of any reason to go that high. But I spend a reasonable amount of time in Word and Eclipse, and I use 2000dpi as my standard, sometimes 2500. But I like to be able to move my mouse from one end of the screen to the other without moving it more than a centimeter or two from the center of my mousepad.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm still eagerly awaiting. Supposedly, it's supposed to start shipping approximately now :v:

GosuProbe
Apr 14, 2008

Christoff posted:

Yeah. I already have two mice and want this one. It's the same as the 7 just wireless, right? Is it bluetooth or does it need some wireless usb dongle or something? Is the non-wireless version popular?

The tech specs say 2.4ghz wireless, so no bluetooth. The non-wireless version is apparently the best gaming mouse out there (or so I've read).. I don't know if it's selling well, but it drat well should be.

I can't find any info on availability but /\/\/\ says it's supposed to start shipping roughly now so who knows!

Edit: I asked for the release date and got this back:

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the R.A.T.9. All I can say at the moment is
"before the end of the year" but keep an eye on the blog where we will
announce it's availability as and when it happens.

Best Regards
Richard Neville
Gaming Category Manager
Mad Catz Europe R&D

GosuProbe fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 21, 2010

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't think Mac OS X needed it, but in order to "tame" my new 1000dpi mouse, I had to download the Logitech software.

It still doesn't feel as normal as the Trackpad or an old 400dpi mouse, but at least I have more control rather than just two settings of "way too slow" and "way too fast".

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Just bought the G500. So far I like it, it's definitely good for gaming.

Only thing I dislike are the 3 thumb buttons that are way too close to eachother.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Does anyone have a problem when using their R.A.T 7 on a mac and the mac won't even recognize mouse hover-overs?

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

K8.0 posted:

If flicking a round thing with your finger is faster and more precise than using a mouse, why aren't you using a trackball?

Your last paragraph makes it pretty obvious you are using mouse acceleration and/or far too many DPI.

I use all three modes depending on circumstances. Pretty much, the whole loving point of a mouse wheel is the convenience. Using the middle click is far less convenient and only has benefit if you are moving either small amounts or doing large jumps.

How you can't understand something that is objectively faster (the free scroll is faster to activate and to actually utilize) and is equally precise as middle click is beyond me. Actually, middle click is less precise since you accelerate and decelerate from and to neutral, versus the scroll wheel which matches your movement exactly.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 23, 2010

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Luminous posted:

I use all three modes depending on circumstances. Pretty much, the whole loving point of a mouse wheel is the convenience. Using the middle click is far less convenient and only has benefit if you are moving either small amounts or doing large jumps.

How you can't understand something that is objectively faster (the free scroll is faster to activate and to actually utilize) and is equally precise as middle click is beyond me. Actually, middle click is less precise since you accelerate and decelerate from and to neutral, versus the scroll wheel which matches your movement exactly.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but I basically disagree with everything you just said. It is not at all objectively faster or more precise. Plus, speed and precision aren't the only factors to consider. Using middle click could be more comfortable than reaching your finger back behind the scroll wheel and then flicking. Or vice versa, of course.

I recently bought a G500 and don't much care for free scrolling, after trying to get used to it for a while. I feel that middle-click scrolling is more precise as I can manage the speed more easily. Not sure about speed, though. They seem about equal in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arroze
Sep 23, 2010

right, so don't enter?
Not quite a $100 mouse, but in the caliber of pricey mice:

I really love my "Razer DeathAdder", it's simple, corded, precise and light weight. Plus I like the pulsing glow of the Razer emblem on the top of it. It's around $50-60.

I won't touch a cordless mouse anymore; they're just not worth the hassle. Untimely battery deaths, battery strength weakening over time, forgot to put it in the cradle, link loss. And... more parts to worry about: the mouse, the cradle, and the power supply. I went through several styles of cordless mice though, before I reached this opinion; others really stand by wireless/bluetooth.

I also use a Kensington Pro Mouse (trackball) at work, just for some variety in hand/finger movements. Carpel tunnels == bad. I'd really not care to game with this "mouse" though, as I can't make sweeping movements while accurately stopping. But again, for work type stuff: programming, documentation, forums, *cough*, etc it's great.