Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

McMadCow posted:

Months of incessant bitching about misfiring engine and rough idle.

Well I took my E36 325i to the mechanic last week in the hopes of getting my engine troubles figured out before a road trip I was supposed to take. Turns out there's a short or a bad connection somewhere in my wiring harness that is not running the #1 fuel injector properly. He wasn't able to fix it right away and now he's researching on whether or not I need a new harness or if there's some sort of workaround involving wiring that inector straight to the computer. Hopefully I'll know in a few days, because the car is getting to the point where I can barely get it out to highway speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Well, we've added a new toy to the stable. I tried to talk my wife into a nice Range Rover Sport Supercharged but she wanted a sedan and for some reason she thinks 4 Rovers in our driveway is enough.

She decided on an extremely clean '05 E60 545i. Loaded to the gills. Nav, sat, HUD, power everything, heated seats, and more than I know what to do with. I'm happy when my Rovers lights work. This much electronics scares the hell out of me. She looked at Infiniti G53Ss, Audi A4s, Volvo S80s, and came back to the E60.

Only pic I've got of it right now but I'll post more later.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
They're still awkward compared to BMW standards but for some reason the E60 has really grown on me. Car looks ridiculously clean. I'd love a sedan.

Do moonroofs still break in 2005? I wouldn't be too afraid of the car but for some reason moonroofs love breaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VibrioCholera posted:

They're still awkward compared to BMW standards but for some reason the E60 has really grown on me. Car looks ridiculously clean. I'd love a sedan.

Do moonroofs still break in 2005? I wouldn't be too afraid of the car but for some reason moonroofs love breaking.

You can always handcrank them shut and then leave them alone.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

I didn't like the E60s when they first came out either, in fact i thought they were ugly, but they've also grown on me. This one is so clean if I didn't know better I'd say it was stuffed in storage somewhere for 5 years. It has 60K miles on it but it looks more like 20K. I talked to the local dealer before I bought and he pulled up the service history. It was babied its whole life and the previous owner brought it in for even the slightest issues.

I'll need to get it some new brakes before the end of the year but other than that I found zero issues with it. Oh, and the window tint is nowhere near dark enough for my liking. If you can hold your hands up to the windows and see in it's not dark enough. :)

Never thought I'd own a BMW but after looking at all the cars in the same class/price range nothing else was close. G35 Sport almost got us but the Nav/Sat/HUD in the E60 sealed the deal. The only/biggest complaint from my wife? It's an automatic. After 25 years of driving, it's the first auto she's ever owned. She's said she'll be borrowing my Rovers more just to keep the skills sharp until we find her a 60's Mustang project car. I :h: my wife.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

The only/biggest complaint from my wife? It's an automatic. After 25 years of driving, it's the first auto she's ever owned. She's said she'll be borrowing my Rovers more just to keep the skills sharp until we find her a 60's Mustang project car. I :h: my wife.

I think everyone in AI wants to loving kill you right now. Myself included.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So I finally bought in..

2008 135i 6MT w/ 30000 miles. Sport & premium package. Still under factory warranty for another 20k including free oil changes and brake pad replacement. $24000US

I went and drove it on Saturday and it really is a nice car. I've been looking for a few months now for a cheap BMW in the states and flip flopping back and forth between a 335i and a 135i and I think the price got me onto this. I would have thought it was harder to import into Canada but it looks like a relatively pain free experience. Tax + 6.2% duty + exchange and it's yours. Came in over 10k cheaper then what cars equipped with similar equipment go for here.

I pick it up on Monday and can't wait :)

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 10, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I know very little about any BMW that's not a 2002, so I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of this car for sale?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/1945811210.html

quote:

1992 BMW 5 Series New Engine, New Clutch - $2900 (Bonita/ Chula Vista)
Date: 2010-09-09, 6:44PM PDT

525i - 5 speed stick shift
New engine, new clutch, new hoses
Black paint, black rims
Nice tan leather interior

$2900 or reasonable offer

I bought this beautiful car for my father last year. He recently purchased a brand new car so he gave me back this one. Unfortunately I can't drive stick shift so I'm selling it so that I can buy an automatic. My father's close friend is a BMW mechanic so he's been workin on the car for the past year so it has a new engine, new clutch and i recently put some new hoses in as well. It's a great and reliable car and I just want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
So I have been looking for 1987-1991 325is's all over the US to replace my 318is. Does anyone know of any decent examples in your area? I am thinking of about $4500 as my budget.

Ive already scoured craigslist using crazedlist.org for mass searches and already check the E30 message boards. Autotrader and those kinds are pretty useless.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dyscrasia posted:

So I have been looking for 1987-1991 325is's all over the US to replace my 318is. Does anyone know of any decent examples in your area? I am thinking of about $4500 as my budget.

Ive already scoured craigslist using crazedlist.org for mass searches and already check the E30 message boards. Autotrader and those kinds are pretty useless.

Ebay. There's a few on there, but I'd stick CL/Local Ads and just wait.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

I think everyone in AI wants to loving kill you right now. Myself included.

I think I'll keep her.

She went out and took pictures of her new ride today she wanted to share. She's really started to like it and is no longer upset at selling the Mustang.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That front plate is horrible. Do you have to have it in your state?

Love the car though.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

revmoo posted:

That front plate is horrible. Do you have to have it in your state?

Love the car though.

In Texas we're supposed to have a front plate though our old Mustang never ran with one. Only were ever asked about it once and were just told 'put it on when you get a chance.' I planned on doing the same with this one. I removed the ugly plate holder yesterday only to find previous owners turned the bumper to swiss cheese under that. Why the gently caress they needed 7 holes to do what 1 or some good double stick tape could do I'll never understand.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kill-9 posted:

In Texas we're supposed to have a front plate though our old Mustang never ran with one. Only were ever asked about it once and were just told 'put it on when you get a chance.' I planned on doing the same with this one. I removed the ugly plate holder yesterday only to find previous owners turned the bumper to swiss cheese under that. Why the gently caress they needed 7 holes to do what 1 or some good double stick tape could do I'll never understand.

European plates look infinitely and are even more visible. Woe is the USA.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I work at a carwash, one of just a few good full-service ones where there are actually people and not a large console in my area. Consequently, we get everything from cars that were made 20 years before I was born to brand new BMWs, which is really my question: are BMW owners just lazy or is there something about their breaks/rims that can explain the huge amounts of break dust? Every beamer that comes through, old or new, has loads of this stuff covering their rims, and I find all sorts of funny answers with google, was hoping someone here could give me a not-utter bullshit answer.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

InstantInfidel posted:

I work at a carwash, one of just a few good full-service ones where there are actually people and not a large console in my area. Consequently, we get everything from cars that were made 20 years before I was born to brand new BMWs, which is really my question: are BMW owners just lazy or is there something about their breaks/rims that can explain the huge amounts of break dust? Every beamer that comes through, old or new, has loads of this stuff covering their rims, and I find all sorts of funny answers with google, was hoping someone here could give me a not-utter bullshit answer.

Bullshit answer: Don't go breaking those RIMZ

Real answer: It's probably just something you think, there's nothing special to BMWs and their brake dust/wheels.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

InstantInfidel posted:

Hopefully youre using some of dat wheel cleaner by meguiars that smells like cinnamon. :unsmith:

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.
As I understand it, OEM BMW pads dust quite a bit. The tradeoff? Better braking performance (than a lot of OEM pads). I switched to Performance Friction Z-Rated all around, and I have roughly the same or better braking performance on the street, but far less dust.

also: BRAKES, NOT BREAKS, YOU UNEDUCATED MACAQUE.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My base-model Mini Cooper had the worst brake dust I've ever seen. The wheels were black within days of washing them. Looking around on the internet it was normal, and a lot of people replace the pads as soon as they can to alleviate the dust problem.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I don't work at a car wash, or own a BMW, but I've noticed the "incredibly dirty front wheels" phenomenon on BMWs for a while now. Never thought to post about it.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
BMW pads have amazing initial bite, but I'll give it up if it means less dust.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I don't work at a car wash, or own a BMW, but I've noticed the "incredibly dirty front wheels" phenomenon on BMWs for a while now. Never thought to post about it.

It's incredibly obnoxious and I'm on a lease so I'm stuck with OEM pads.

My wheels currently look like they're powdercoated gunmetal. They're silver. I just haven't had time to even wipe them off with a rag.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

InstantInfidel posted:

the huge amounts of break dust...not-utter bullshit answer.

BMW specs an aggressive pad compound which dusts a lot.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

My sister's Mini's OEM brakes were awful at dusting. You couldn't keep her wheels clean for more than a day or two.

Brakes are the first thing I need to do on this new car. It can't be any worse than front brakes/rotors on a Defender. *shudder*

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My wheels currently look like they're powdercoated gunmetal. They're silver. I just haven't had time to even wipe them off with a rag.
Huh. I was wondering why I could never get my M3's rims to stay pretty for more than a day or two. Guess that explains it.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What? Why? You can replace the pads with performance ones. There is no way that would void a warranty.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

gigButt posted:

What? Why? You can replace the pads with performance ones. There is no way that would void a warranty.

Yeah. You can absolutely change your brake pads. Unless you try to warranty your brake rotors for early wear or something. Basically unless you have a problem that can be tied to your performance brake pads, they can't void/deny your warranty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gigButt posted:

Well yeah, I could. I could also accept the free ones that BMW puts on my car for me as part of no-cost scheduled maintenance and wear items.

The dust is annoying. It's not spend time money and effort on something that's free annoying.

edit: If I was spending money on OE pads, yes, I would not purchase them. But OE pads + dust are not worse than IAM pads + time + money.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
After months of regretting about getting rid of my 99 540i Sport years back, I started my search for a 335i and finally came across the one.

07 CPO 335i Sedan - 40k miles, Sport, Premium, and Courtesy Packages.

Car is an absolute dream to drive and fast when needed.

I haven't been able to hold back on modifications yet, already have a BMS DCI and JB+ on the way, as well as BT Scan Tool. Future wise probably PROcede, DPs, Exhaust etc.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
You mind saying how much you paid? I'm also on the prowl for a newer 3 series (either 335i or 328) and I'm just curious.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
$27k with CPO in the southeast.

Most 07s with CPO will be around that to $30k. I would not get 335 without CPO due to HPFP issues, it's BMWs new motor, direct injection etc. Too much new stuff to not have warranty.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
One of the local BMW dealerships has an '03 Z8 Alpina in the show room. I never paid a great deal of attention to these before, but what a fantastic looking car. I do seem to recall hearing they weren't especially worthwhile though.

What's the skinny?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

routenull0 posted:

$27k with CPO in the southeast.

Most 07s with CPO will be around that to $30k. I would not get 335 without CPO due to HPFP issues, it's BMWs new motor, direct injection etc. Too much new stuff to not have warranty.

HPFP is now on 100,000 mile warranty.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

OrangeFurious posted:

One of the local BMW dealerships has an '03 Z8 Alpina in the show room. I never paid a great deal of attention to these before, but what a fantastic looking car. I do seem to recall hearing they weren't especially worthwhile though.

What's the skinny?

$150,000 car. Alpina version is more of a grand touring setup. Factory BMW Z8 would be more sporty.

Wiki has a good amount of info on the car.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
So I'm in a market for a new car again and I've been looking at used e9x 335i. I'm very well aware of the HPFP issue and that it comes with a specific warranty on that part. But would it be crazy to buy a used e9x without a CPO? If so, should I buy the extended warranty if I decide to buy a car that does not have CPO? Never owned a bimmer before at this point.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

washow posted:

So I'm in a market for a new car again and I've been looking at used e9x 335i. I'm very well aware of the HPFP issue and that it comes with a specific warranty on that part. But would it be crazy to buy a used e9x without a CPO? If so, should I buy the extended warranty if I decide to buy a car that does not have CPO? Never owned a bimmer before at this point.

How much is the extended warranty and for how many years?

You would have to weigh it against how much youre probably going to spend on repairs in those X years. If the warranty is like $2k it is worth it... $3k, maybe not so much.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

washow posted:

For a new BMW owner, I'd recommend a CPO car. You'll get to witness the repair bills without paying them, then you can decide if the marque is for you. :). DO NOT get any aftermarket warranty. Most of them try and weasel out of paying for repairs any way they can. Get a true CPO car from BMW. The good news is the warranty follows the car, so you can buy one from an individual and still have the warranty.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Continuing my adventures looking at the cheapest, shittiest sad sack excuses for BMWs across Ontario I've now come across a 1993 525i with 100k miles. Its owned by a girl who apparently was given it by her father. Her father sent her this to send on to me:

quote:

1993 BMW 525 i, we bought the car about 6-7 years ago with 95,000 km, has now about 160,000 km. Car got hit (2006) on the right rear, no structural damage at all, was professional fixed total damage about $ 3,000. There is rust on the lower doors which can be easily fixed (a used perfect set of doors can be bought for $ 400). To make the car perfect the blower resistor should be replaced ($40) and the check engine light is on, oxygen sensor was diagnosed ($ 60). A/C is in great condition, engine is perfect, oil change every 5000 km latest. should be no problem to get certified and etest. New clutch throw bearing, new front shocks and lower ball joinst were installed last year. the car has 17 inch BMW M5 rims. At the right price ($3300) we will include winter tires on aluminum rims. Interior is perfect. it is a 5 speed, which shifts like butter, 6 pack CD changer in trunk. Sunroof. Its not a perfect car but for this price an unbeatable daily driver.

So what are these like? My research concludes that they are built like battleships. Are they at all fun to drive? I honestly wasn't really looking at the 5 series cars but this one jumped out.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

Omegaslast posted:

How much is the extended warranty and for how many years?

You would have to weigh it against how much youre probably going to spend on repairs in those X years. If the warranty is like $2k it is worth it... $3k, maybe not so much.

I've been searching around and it seems like it's about ~2k for 6yr/100k extended maintenance. Not exactly sure how much it covers though!

Brock Landers posted:

For a new BMW owner, I'd recommend a CPO car. You'll get to witness the repair bills without paying them, then you can decide if the marque is for you. :). DO NOT get any aftermarket warranty. Most of them try and weasel out of paying for repairs any way they can. Get a true CPO car from BMW. The good news is the warranty follows the car, so you can buy one from an individual and still have the warranty.

Yeah this was what I was thinking.. but there aren't that many CPO vehicles available haha. I know all about the 3rd party warranty being bullshit so you don't have to tell me that

E: posted in bimmerforums too but here goes. If I'm definitely going to buy the extended maintenance warranty, it's okay to just ignore CPO right? Since it kicks in right after the original factory warranty ends + I'm trying to buy a car that's still under the factory warranty. There aren't that many CPO e92s out there let alone regular e92s...

E: god drat. After searching some more, it seems like a lot of people are saying the extended service warranty is too expensive and thus not worth it, as it is not even a bumper to bumper cover. Man buying a used car is hard

washow fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

Is it a retarded idea to buy this m3? I currently have a 135i as my DD. I talked him down to 4000, I'm pretty sure that is as low as he will go.