Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

thethuthinnang posted:

Just saw Adam Green's Frozen. I never imagined a movie about three people stuck on a chairlift could play out so well. Highly recommended.
I just saw it too and felt the same way. I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

InfiniteZero posted:

If you liked "Paranormal Activity" you might like "Rec", "Rec2", or "The Fourth Kind" I guess.

There's a recommendation thread by the way ...

The recommendation thread seems to be full of normal movies, I want horror, but I will que up some of the classics there to watch later.

Already seen Rec, watching Rec2 now, seems they went a very different angle with it, but so far I like it.

And I did find The Fourth Kind to be entertaining, but not really frightening.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Did anyone see The Horde? I'd like to hear some goon opinions on it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

frozenpeas posted:

I walked out of it, camera wouldn't sit still for a second, couldn't tell what the hell was going on so I just walked out.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Scissorfighter posted:

I just watched it, and this is explained in the movie. He for some reason likes to keep someone alive in a box, and the guy in the box said he was "bait."

Yeah but The Collector had repeatedly tried to kill him before then.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

rxcowboy posted:

Hey guys, I know this is a very open request but I'm in the mood for a good "scary" horror movie to watch tonight since I have jack poo poo to do. Movies like the original Exorcist and Paranormal activity creep me out the most, I end up laughing at Friday the 13th and zombie movies. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Lake Mungo. It is a lot like Paranormal Activity but weirder and leaves more things unexplained. Also the characters are much less annoying.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Industrial posted:

Lake Mungo. It is a lot like Paranormal Activity but weirder and leaves more things unexplained. Also the characters are much less annoying.

Also it's incredibly boring and literally nothing happens and it's not in the least bit scary.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Dickeye posted:

Also it's incredibly boring and literally nothing happens and it's not in the least bit scary.

That's what a lot of people said about Paranormal Activity too. If you like one it's likely that you will like the other.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I thought Lake Mungo was entertaining. I hated Paranormal Activity. Neither was particularly scary, but Lake Mungo was at least sort of creepy, and didn't have something retardedly tension-destroying happening every 15 minutes like PA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Industrial posted:

That's what a lot of people said about Paranormal Activity too. If you like one it's likely that you will like the other.

I loved Paranormal Activity and think that Lake Mungo is one of the most boring and least scary movies I've ever seen, on the same level that I despise Blair Witch.

WE SAW HER GHOST and then it was a trick AND THEN WE SAW HER FACE and it was a reflection AND THEN

FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER THIS IS THE MOVIE

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Two things for horror requesters to remember:

(1) "Scary" is subjective. Something that scares the poo poo out of you will do nothing to the person next door and vice versa. Saying "I want to see something actually scary" is like saying "I want to see some art that's actually good".

(2) If a movie that is intended to be scary doesn't scare you, nobody gives a poo poo.

I think part of it too is that you need to remember that people enjoy the genre for different reasons. Some people want to "be scared" - these people tend to want to be absorbed into the movie and 'experience' it. Others (I'm in this category) want to sit back and laugh and have a good time - normally this type of person is disconnected from the screen and reality so they're not often scared because they're always aware either of the film itself and/or the 'experience of' being an audience member (like a circus ride).

TLDR - "scary" is subjective

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't think Lake Mungo was trying to be scary, honestly. I think it was trying to be a "what if there was a ghost story that turned out to be something more?" movie, and I don't think it did that very well. Everything seemed so...dull, lifeless, just pure boring

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!

frozenpeas posted:

Pretty terrible action flick with zombies in it.

For the person who wanted scary movies like The Exorcist and PA, both of those movies terrified me and I found Ju-On The Grudge to be creepy as all get out.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Hey guys, I know this is a very open request but I'm in the mood for a good "scary" horror movie to watch tonight since I have jack poo poo to do. Movies like the original Exorcist and Paranormal activity creep me out the most, I end up laughing at Friday the 13th and zombie movies. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

You've probably seen them, but when someone is looking for a genuinely scary/creepy movie I always bust out these two recommendations: Jacob's Ladder, and The Thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The only 'recent' movie to scare me was Session 9. I'm interested in urbex though and could put myself in that setting.

Plus how can you not watch a movie with this:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Boinks posted:

Caruso deserves an award for that scene. That's amazing.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Apparently there's some fuckery afoot with the trailer on the Paranormal Activity 2 site.

There's a really brief snippet of footage right after the bit where the pans are waving back and forth in the kitchen. Keep cycling back over it. Eventually something ... weird ... happens. Not sure what it means, and I'd love to see it slowed down because I thought I caught some text in there.

And if you do the above then wait for the very end of the trailer, you'll get a very slow, panning zoom into the final shot. You can control it, to an extent.

No idea what to make of it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't believe no one knows what Paranormal Activity 2 is about yet. The only thing anyone knows is that Katie is in it and maybe Micah again too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toaster Beef posted:

Apparently there's some fuckery afoot with the trailer on the Paranormal Activity 2 site.

There's a really brief snippet of footage right after the bit where the pans are waving back and forth in the kitchen. Keep cycling back over it. Eventually something ... weird ... happens. Not sure what it means, and I'd love to see it slowed down because I thought I caught some text in there.

And if you do the above then wait for the very end of the trailer, you'll get a very slow, panning zoom into the final shot. You can control it, to an extent.

No idea what to make of it.

There's definitely something there, I caught it the first time. Just drag the slider back to the flash and hold it there. No idea what the gently caress it is.

e: I was messing with the final shot thing, and the zoom plus the "demon distortion" noises freaked me out too much and I had to stop.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't believe no one knows what Paranormal Activity 2 is about yet. The only thing anyone knows is that Katie is in it and maybe Micah again too.

And the important thing we all want to know is if Katie will spend a lot of time running around in a tight t-shirt.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like there was a screening for Let Me In as reviews have started to come in.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/let-me-2010

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/2230

Dang I was all pumped to hate on this, too. I'll probably check it out if for no other reason than I love the original too much to pass up a remake, regardless of quality.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

It's an 80s movie but I always recommend The Changeling (not the recent movie directed by Clint Eastwood) for someone looking for a good scare.

I love The Changeling!! Along those lines, check out Peter Straub's Ghost Story as well for all your campy 80's spookiness featuring aging British theater actors!

Industrial posted:

Lake Mungo was boring as gently caress. I can't believe you recommended it. It wasn't disturbing or eerie or anything, it was just boring. I see later that someone agrees with me, that's what I get for replying to posts as I read them.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 14, 2010

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Lake Mungo was slow but absolutely fantastic for watching at like two in the morning, so you haters can go hate on something that actually sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If Lake Mungo had been framed a little bit differently and removed the "oh well in these photos" bullshit and just been about a girl vanishing and her fmaily finding out about bits and pieces of a secret life she led, that might be interesting. As it was? Nope.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just saw Frozen as well and am throwing in another recommendation for it. A simple premise executed really, really well. Much better than say, Open Water in my opinion. It helps that all of the actors were pretty solid, especially Emma Bell.

This is coming from someone who hated Hatchet.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

qbert posted:

Just saw Frozen as well and am throwing in another recommendation for it. A simple premise executed really, really well. Much better than say, Open Water in my opinion. It helps that all of the actors were pretty solid, especially Emma Bell.

Good to hear she can act, she's been cast as the lead in Final Destination 5.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

Good to hear she can act, she's been cast as the lead in Final Destination 5.

She's also in the new Walking Dead series!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boinks posted:

The only 'recent' movie to scare me was Session 9. I'm interested in urbex though and could put myself in that setting.

I liked that movie quite a bit, although the really "scary" bit for me was the face-cam stuff with the guy in the dark grabbing all those quarters, and then he starts hearing startling sounds in the dark and stuff. That poo poo had me on the edge of my seat.

I'd never heard of 'Frozen', I think I'll have to check it out.

Recent horror movies I enjoyed:

- The Hitcher (remake). I want to watch the original, although I've seen the final confrontation on youtube. Sean Bean was awesome as the villain, he was menacing as gently caress. And Sophia Bush is really cute.

- Pandorum. I like Dennis Quaid a lot no matter what he's doing, and the movie had a really cool claustrophobic vibe. The set design and general atmosphere reminded me a lot of "Dead Space", and it generally felt a lot like 'Event Horizon' crossed with 'Alien'. I dug the really bleak "this ain't gonna have a happy ending" vibe that carried 90% of the movie, so I was actually a little let down at the very end when it ended up having a really saccharine ending.
v:shobon:v

- Blood Creek. I like wacky occult WWII super-science stuff and the villain was nuts. I liked the siege elements, I liked the ending a lot, although I wish the main character had started asking questions a little earlier into the movie. He gets roped into all this craziness and just goes along with his brother without actually asking what he's doing or why (like taking a shitload of guns and assaulting some random farmhouse. I dunno about other people, but I'd probably stop and ask some questions before I blindly went along with that plan).

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
The biggest problem with Frozen is the lovely writing. It suffers so much from lovely stupid people doing lovely stupid things which never would have put them in that situation it's hard to believe. I mean, the truck is literally right beneath them and NO ONE thinks to throw a drat thing at the truck until it starts moving away and then they just miss it the entire time? The dude who jumps doesn't think to jump to a tree to break the fall? (lynch fears hitting the trees when he tries to climb down) They both sleep far apart through the night instead of huddled for warmth? they don't think to cover her exposed hand? the list goes on
edit: the puppies were really beautiful

Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2010

miffu
Apr 23, 2006
Chip Of Choice

Guilty posted:

The biggest problem with Frozen is the lovely writing. It suffers so much from lovely stupid people doing lovely stupid things which never would have put them in that situation it's hard to believe. I mean, the truck is literally right beneath them and NO ONE thinks to throw a drat thing at the truck until it starts moving away and then they just miss it the entire time? The dude who jumps doesn't think to jump to a tree to break the fall? (lynch fears hitting the trees when he tries to climb down) They both sleep far apart through the night instead of huddled for warmth? they don't think to cover her exposed hand? the list goes on

YES this is what bothered me as well. Climbing along the cable, just let your legs hang! Jumping from the lift, straight legs to the ground! I'm not usually the type to nit pick but this film just had to much going on with me responding ?what?.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

eckoelab posted:

just saw a preview for a new Italian zombie flick called Eaters
http://rue-morgue.com/blog/archives/2010/09/07/new-trailer-for-italian-zombie-flick-eaters/

It does look interesting, but the people behind it don't have such a stellar record as far as story goes. May be just eye candy and nothing more, and it seems to rip off a few films, even in the preview.

UWE BOLL PRESENTS... Is that one of the people behind it, to whom you were referring? Checking the rest of the credits, it doesn't seem like he had anything to do with the production, so he could just be helping with distribution and getting to slap his name on it in return. Looks like some really neat gore FX, mostly a remake of Day of the Dead.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 17, 2010

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Guilty posted:

Given the extreme emotions of the situation I don't think they do anything too stupid. Granted, maybe I should be watching more episodes of Survivorman or something but I'd probably be about as lost as they were in that situation. Some of the things they did may have been stupid, but not necessarily unbelievably stupid.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

Lake Mungo was slow but absolutely fantastic for watching at like two in the morning, so you haters can go hate on something that actually sucks

Yeah I think Lake Mungo was pretty good, though you'll be pretty disappointed if you go into it looking for another Paranormal Activity. It's really more of a slightly eerie drama with one or two scary moments than an actual horror film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guilty posted:

The movie had some huge issues, but they weren't mostly character decision issues as much as writing contrivances to put them in bad situations.

As for the truck, when it pulled up they thought it saw them. Once it started leaving, they realized it didn't, and threw something at it. Made sense in context. Not too much of a problem.

Now as for the jumping guy, yes, that was utterly retarded. Why the hell would he jump straight down on two legs? I don't buy the tree thing since there was nothing that close shown in frame, technically (and it was a kind of "now or never move) - but jumping down and rolling with the impact, or swinging with the snowboard or jumping and falling on your rear end even make a ton of more sense, and go through your head first.

As for cuddling, yeah, stupid...I expected them too but...no idea.

My biggest issue was the wolves though. They were just too obvious of a plot device that existed to remove any feasible way of escape, and were annoying because of that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah I think Lake Mungo was pretty good, though you'll be pretty disappointed if you go into it looking for another Paranormal Activity. It's really more of a slightly eerie drama with one or two scary moments than an actual horror film.

There you go, that's the best way to describe it. The idea of your daughter vanishing without a trace, and learning about her secret life afterwards, that's a little weird, but it's definitely not scary.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

qbert posted:

Given the extreme emotions of the situation I don't think they do anything too stupid. Granted, maybe I should be watching more episodes of Survivorman or something but I'd probably be about as lost as they were in that situation. Some of the things they did may have been stupid, but not necessarily unbelievably stupid.

It really doesn't take watching episodes of survivorman to realize you need to huddle close to a warm body in order to stay warm in the cold, or that even if you think a truck sees you should intentionally throw something AT the vehicle to make sure it sees and recognizes you, or that jumping AT a tree instead of directly down to the ground would be a better idea (they show shots of trees directly underneath lynch when he goes to climb the cable in order to try and establish how high they are, the other guy could have jumped at the trees)

Not even going to get into the sperginess of their situation (the wolves, the frostbite), since you could forgive a lot of it for dramatic effect. Still, I couldn't tell if the acting or anything else was good because of the utter retardedness of the lovely, lovely writing. (the dialog was pretty bad too)

Edit: now that I think about it, Frozen had worse writing and more plot holes than Donkey Punch, and that's saying something.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
About Lake Mungo (which I actually liked): After the ending, did anyone go back and check to see if the daughter was actually present in the original scenes where her image was later revealed?

I remember being pleased when I rewound Timecrimes and spotted a hiding character's arm in the background of the first time travel machine scene after seeing it portrayed from that character's point of view toward the end. I like the idea of a movie playing things fair and betting that you'll miss details like those the first time around.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 16, 2010

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
http://www.paranormalmovie.com/

Another Paranormal Activity 2 teaser. This one might actually turn out to be pretty good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Phantom Goat posted:

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/

Another Paranormal Activity 2 teaser. This one might actually turn out to be pretty good.

I moved the slider forward to skip the dumb jump scare that it starts with only for the entire screen to freak out with stuff flying at the screen.

I do hope that they play up the distortion effect a lot in this one since it seems to have the budget to do so. It's been a while since I saw the first one but I remember the distortion on Katie's voice before the final scene to be pretty bad. Interesting that the entire thing seems to play up the Mother/Son angle a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Stryder posted:

UWE BOLL PRESENTS... Is that one of the people behind it, to whom you were referring?

yes, but I thought he had more involvement. Good to know he is just slapping his name on it, as it might have some saving grace. Regardless, it appears to be a good run-of-the-mill zombie flick.