Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

syphon posted:

Shut your dirty mouth. My car begs to differ. In the right like, it looks AMAZING. In the wrong light, it just looks white.

And in PA it just looks dirty. All.The.Time.

No thanks on the white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm looking at 2011's as well bull, I'm trying to make a deal 500 under invoice, we'll see if it happens but they guaranteed me they'd be under invoice. Dark Gray is my choice as well.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Here in the land of 10-months-of-rain-a-year, I have a similar problem. It looks fantastic in the summer though, and looks WAY better than a black car would.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Plasma Blue is available on Canadian WRXes, though it wouldn't be the first time Subaru Canada offers weird colour combinations (like WRB 2.5is). We also don't necessarily get the BBS wheels with the hatch WRX, though.

Sup.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sockington posted:

Sup.

What's with the junk side yard?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I don't suppose anyone is selling a v2 Access Port for an '05 WRX? ;)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Amandyke posted:

What's with the junk side yard?

Neighbours. :haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Sup.
Is that WRB? It looks like that darker blue colour they had on the bugeyes through to '07. I think the Canadian WRB 2.5i started in 2008.

(Now if you want Canadian exclusive bugeyes, the Spec R1 in Sonic - not Blaze - Yellow is where it's at.)

edit: it's Blue Ridge Pearl. I drool over the Savanna Green Metallic OBS.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 15, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Is that WRB? It looks like that darker blue colour they had on the bugeyes through to '07. I think the Canadian WRB 2.5i started in 2008.

(Now if you want Canadian exclusive bugeyes, the Spec R1 is where it's at.)

Ooops. Yup, you're right. Mine is WAY darker than WRB. Silly me (I even have a poster of a WRB impreza in the garage).

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 15, 2010

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Watommi posted:

So glad to find a Subaru thread here in AI.

Me and the wife are considering a move from San Diego to Maine within the next year. I already have a 4wd, but we're thinking her Toyota Matrix has to go. I've been looking at 2-3 year old Foresters and Outbacks, Carmax seems to have plenty of low mileage cars in that range for $15k-$19k. I've always heard these cars have great AWD systems and are good for the snow, but how good/bad are they? Can we buy a base model and put decent tires on and be good, or should we spring for a certain trim level? Any tips/warnings for someone who's never before owned a Subaru?

Now if I could just talk her into learning stick so we could buy a manual.

My car followed my parent's jeep liberty renegade up some snowy hills back in February when I got it:

Also,
This was posted earlier in the thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bob Log posted:

I'm looking at 2011's as well bull, I'm trying to make a deal 500 under invoice, we'll see if it happens but they guaranteed me they'd be under invoice. Dark Gray is my choice as well.

I'm sure I could probably get them down a bit more if I played some more, but it seems like $500 over invoice is about the national average right now so I'm content with being below that.

On another note, thank goodness some dealerships "get" the idea of internet sales. I point blank told one of the dealerships what I wanted down to body code and option package codes and asked for pricing. I did this twice. Each time they tiptoed around, said they didn't know when they were coming in, and invited me to call to "educate" me on my decision and to avoid any miscommunication.

No, you see, that's the whole point of me sending you an email. I tell you exactly what I want. You provide me with the pricing. I tell you whether or not I want to buy for that price.

Meanwhile, I got one dealership to send me one quote over web request and I was able to send that quote to a different dealership and they immediately fired back a better one.

Oh well, that dealership loses out. They were one of the first I contacted and if they would have cut through the bullshit and just named a price they would still be in the game. I'm sure I'll get a follow up email from them at some point and I'm going to be sure to tell them why (in a non-dickish way) they lost out. This is the information age. A quick search tells me what the invoice is, what the MSRP is, and what other people are paying. You can't hide anymore. The only way is to be upfront and cut the games.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Would it be possible to put 18x8.5 Rotas with a 5x100 pattern and +44 offset on a stock 2011? I'm pretty sure they should fit but I dunno if it'd clear the wheel wells without rolling. I figure they will since it's the same as the STI body now.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
They will easily fit if in fact it's the same as the GR STI's. Stock GR STI wheels are 18x8.5 +55 and guys are running some crazy wide fitments with little to no modification.

Also I was running 18x9 +44's on my 08 WRX with zero issues (lowered even).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumb question: I see the Impreza is coming as a sedan for the 2011 MY. Will they still be available as a hatch? A wagon?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bolind posted:

Dumb question: I see the Impreza is coming as a sedan for the 2011 MY. Will they still be available as a hatch? A wagon?

Hatch, yes

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bob Log posted:

Would it be possible to put 18x8.5 Rotas with a 5x100 pattern and +44 offset on a stock 2011? I'm pretty sure they should fit but I dunno if it'd clear the wheel wells without rolling. I figure they will since it's the same as the STI body now.

I don't know why you would buy 18x8.5s when you could buy 18x9s. or even a 9.5. A 265 tire fits pretty easy.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Finally hungry for fixing your car? :) I don't see used, unmarried, APs go for enough under the cost of new to justify it.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

FormulaXFD posted:

Finally hungry for fixing your car? :) I don't see used, unmarried, APs go for enough under the cost of new to justify it.

I bought a used v1 '05 AccessPort for $250 on eBay recently. If you don't 'need' the v2 features, it's a good way to go.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

jamal posted:

I don't know why you would buy 18x8.5s when you could buy 18x9s. or even a 9.5. A 265 tire fits pretty easy.

It's just that I would be getting them for free and would look better than stocks. Wouldn't be a choice.

Edit: And according to this: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html#impreza

Says they're all 5x114.3 now

WRX, WRX Premium - 17x8jj, offset 53 (2.09), P.C.D 114.3 (4.50), for those too lazy to click.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 15, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

ssjonizuka posted:

Why would I want to return oil? gently caress opec! I'm keeping it for myself!

Content:

Long term planning for my LGT (08 5mt for reference).

It's my DD, and I love it. But, I'm thinking I'd like to get it to the 300hp mark.
After getting a raise at work, I think I can start slowly sourcing parts over the next year or so. Current "power mods" are basically limited to a K&N panel filter and a cat-back.

You can hit almost 300whp on the VF40, you don't need a VF52. Mine made 289whp/297wtq with stock injectors, Perrin intercooler, catless up, catless bellmouth DP and a protune.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

TurboLuvah posted:

You can hit almost 300whp on the VF40, you don't need a VF52. Mine made 289whp/297wtq with stock injectors, Perrin intercooler, catless up, catless bellmouth DP and a protune.

I know the VF46 (which is stock on mine) has slightly different flow curves due to the housing, and I already have a catless UP stock. So maybe I just go with the TMIC, DP and tune. Then if the turbo does go, I can do the upgrade down the line. It would be cheaper short term.

You're in MA/NH aren't you? Where did you get it tuned? A bunch of people up here go to EFI - is that where Mike from formerly TDC went?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Parker Lewis posted:

I bought a used v1 '05 AccessPort for $250 on eBay recently. If you don't 'need' the v2 features, it's a good way to go.
$250?! I have a v1 Accessport for my '06 and I was going to ask $100 for it from the local Subaru club. Maybe I should put it on eBay.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bob Log posted:

It's just that I would be getting them for free and would look better than stocks. Wouldn't be a choice.

Edit: And according to this: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html#impreza

WRX, WRX Premium - 17x8jj, offset 53 (2.09), P.C.D 114.3 (4.50), for those too lazy to click.

well that's interesting

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bob Log posted:

Ugh, that better be a typo.

Everyone on NASIOC who has taken delivery on the car says it's unchanged. 5x100. Though, maybe. I'm not 100% sure.

That will sure hit me in the wallet hard on delivery if it is 114.3

This guy selling his stock 2011 wheels says they are 5x100. Since he got replacement wheels already, I think he likely knows what the bolt pattern is.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31870268

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 15, 2010

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

$250?! I have a v1 Accessport for my '06 and I was going to ask $100 for it from the local Subaru club. Maybe I should put it on eBay.

$200-$250 was the low range for the v1 APs at the time, maybe that's changed by now but I was under the impression that if all you want to do is flash a base map and forget about it (like I did), there's no need to get a v2 instead of just picking up a cheap v1, so there should still be demand for the older models.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I don't know your situation, but why bother? I just did an OTS tactrix map and it's fantastic and FREE.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Not according to what I have, the WRX is still PCD 100

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a decent Subaru performance shop in north NJ? I'd like to just throw a trustworthy shop a few hundred to have them install the basic mods like swaybars/ALK, performance alignment, and kartboy short throw with rear bushings, (all the stuff you need a lift for) as I don't have the room to work on my car anymore.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Blaise posted:

I don't know your situation, but why bother? I just did an OTS tactrix map and it's fantastic and FREE.

Can you link me to more information about this?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

blargle posted:

Is there a decent Subaru performance shop in north NJ? I'd like to just throw a trustworthy shop a few hundred to have them install the basic mods like swaybars/ALK, performance alignment, and kartboy short throw with rear bushings, (all the stuff you need a lift for) as I don't have the room to work on my car anymore.

I googled around and found Akuma Motorsports, they have a currently active thread over on IWSTI, if nobody here has personal experience just google it out some more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And car is ORDERED. 2011 WRX 5 Door Premium. Dark Gray Metallic. Only a handful of options (auto-dimming rear view mirror with homelink, armrest extension, cargo net). $100 over invoice. They weren't quite as pessimistic as other dealers and said probably 30-40 days which is a drat slight better than 8-10 weeks.

While I was there, I took the white one they had on the lot for a spin. Keep in mind, I have never driven any WRX newer than 2002 (I have driven a few that weren't mine, but they were all '02s).

Holy crap, it makes mine feel like an oxcart. Granted, this is 9 year old car vs car with under 10 miles on it. However, they really did a good job of refining the car. It was a ton more quiet inside (without feeling isolated.) I had more room despite it having a sunroof. The ride was both comfortable and sharp. The steering was so much more precise and quicker than what I'm normally used to.

I really didn't get a chance to make the engine growl because I wasn't going to rag on a new car, but it still managed to impress the hell out of me. The 'whoa' moment was when I was puttering along at 40mph in 5 gear at 1500 RPM and the car basically said "Yeah, what of it?" Anything below 2000 is lug city on my car.

The transmission was a dream. I know it's basically the same unit (with revised gears and synchros after 08) but it felt completely different. Shifts were smooth and had a nice positive snick when they went into place. It no longer felt like stirring a box of rocks with wooden stick.

I only managed to notice the hill assist once on the drive and it wasn't intrusive at all.

ALL that said though, getting behind the wheel of that car was like putting on a well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt so familiar. I instantly settled in and took off as if I've been driving it instead of my own for the past 9 years. That basically took the experience over the top. I wasn't just driving a new car, I was driving my car as if it were designed and built brand new in 2011.

I just can't wait to get mine now and get past the 1000 mile break in to REALLY see what that new engine can do.

I also envision dumping a good chunk of money into my old one now to try to bring its ride and handling close to the new one so there isn't such a huge difference when I switch back and forth.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 16, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

Akuma Motorsports is in Morganville, NJ. They actually replaced my engine for me. Great guys. I do track events with the owner John. If you end up going to them, tell them Chris says hi. http://akumamotorsports.com/

They also do alignments and corner-balancing.

There is also Broken Motorsports in Union City, NJ. I had them do a little suspension work on my car before Akuma opened up. (Akuma is like 10 minutes from my house). They do not do alignments last I checked. http://www.brokenmotorsports.com/

Another one is AZP Installs. I've never been; but, they've been around for awhile. http://www.azpinstalls.com/

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

bull3964 posted:

getting behind the wheel of that car was like putting on a well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt so familiar. I instantly settled in and took off as if I've been driving it instead of my own for the past 9 years. That basically took the experience over the top. I wasn't just driving a new car, I was driving my car as if it were designed and built brand new in 2011.

I completely agree, although I only drove a 2009 with 10k miles on it, coming from an 02 it was absolutely sick. I did get to thrash the engine a bit because I wasn't too afraid of breakin issues and it sang all the way up to 100 rather quickly. The salesman said "Be careful you can end up doing 80 very quickly!" I pointed out we had been doing 100 and he laughed. It felt very much like driving an old familiar car, it was magnificent.

I wonder if anyone else notices this, but when I test drive other brands of cars (Mercedes and similar luxury brands excluded) and roll down both or one rear window there is this crazy airflow buffeting that occurs. In subarus I have yet to experience this. Is it poor aerodynamic design? Why wouldn't a Subaru do it though? I can't imagine they're the only ones avoiding making that happen.

Edit: Jamal can you weigh in on this? I was speaking to EQ Tuning and Fine Line Imports, they both say I should bring in the 2011 for a tune IMMEDIATELY after I take delivery. They said there are issues with the pistons cracking and other engine issues that can occur from the poor stock tune. Are they exaggerating? I haven't found a large portion of evidence supporting catastrophic engine failure due to stock Subaru tunes. I trust the guys at both of these shops and don't think they'd be blowing smoke up my rear end, but maybe you can elaborate? I'm sure Bull would be interested to hear what you have to say as well.

Edit^2: If nobody wants the Chassis of my car after I'm done with it I'm just sending it off to the junkyard after stripping all the important/valuable stuff I can think of. I'm selling everything though, here's pics: http://krogoth.org/Sale/

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Log posted:

Edit: Jamal can you weigh in on this? I was speaking to EQ Tuning and Fine Line Imports, they both say I should bring in the 2011 for a tune IMMEDIATELY after I take delivery. They said there are issues with the pistons cracking and other engine issues that can occur from the poor stock tune. Are they exaggerating? I haven't found a large portion of evidence supporting catastrophic engine failure due to stock Subaru tunes. I trust the guys at both of these shops and don't think they'd be blowing smoke up my rear end, but maybe you can elaborate? I'm sure Bull would be interested to hear what you have to say as well.

You wont because there isnt. If anything, Subaru tends to run the out of factory somewhat rich, which is why a simple re-tune can gain a resonable amount.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

c355n4 posted:

Akuma Motorsports is in Morganville, NJ. They actually replaced my engine for me. Great guys. I do track events with the owner John. If you end up going to them, tell them Chris says hi. http://akumamotorsports.com/

They also do alignments and corner-balancing.

There is also Broken Motorsports in Union City, NJ. I had them do a little suspension work on my car before Akuma opened up. (Akuma is like 10 minutes from my house). They do not do alignments last I checked. http://www.brokenmotorsports.com/

Another one is AZP Installs. I've never been; but, they've been around for awhile. http://www.azpinstalls.com/

Vouching for Akuma Motorsports. They did literally everything to my 2002 WRX and it was all hassle free.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Holy crap, it makes mine feel like an oxcart. Granted, this is 9 year old car vs car with under 10 miles on it. However, they really did a good job of refining the car. It was a ton more quiet inside (without feeling isolated.) I had more room despite it having a sunroof. The ride was both comfortable and sharp. The steering was so much more precise and quicker than what I'm normally used to.

I really didn't get a chance to make the engine growl because I wasn't going to rag on a new car, but it still managed to impress the hell out of me. The 'whoa' moment was when I was puttering along at 40mph in 5 gear at 1500 RPM and the car basically said "Yeah, what of it?" Anything below 2000 is lug city on my car.

The transmission was a dream. I know it's basically the same unit (with revised gears and synchros after 08) but it felt completely different. Shifts were smooth and had a nice positive snick when they went into place. It no longer felt like stirring a box of rocks with wooden stick.

I only managed to notice the hill assist once on the drive and it wasn't intrusive at all.
It was very interesting to read your review. I bought my '10 WRX 5-door back in April, but I've never owned a WRX before then (just various NA and 2.2t Subarus).

For me, the road noise is a bit excessive, but something to put up with. I get lots of wind noise from my roof rack and the JDM rain gutter things, so I just have to crank my stereo up while on the freeway. I guess I'm comparing the road noise to some of my friends' Lexus' or BMWs... which isn't really fair to my car.

Also, I really don't like the transmission. I have the short-throw shifter option, and it feels really 'notchy' and very occasionally doesn't go into 3rd smoothly. Also, the tranny really really doesn't like going in reverse. Some mornings I can't get the car to go into reverse to save my life (even after that trick of putting it into 1st first). I hear none of these problems exist on the 6spd, and I really really wish Subaru would put the 6spd in the WRXs (but understand why they dont).

Lastly, the hill-assist is only intrusive maybe 1 out of 100 starts. I can't quite figure out why it does it, but occasionally it holds the brakes when I try to pull forward (when not on a hill), so my car kinda revs for a second and then lurches forward. It happens so infrequently it's difficult to tell what could be causing it though.

Either way, those are pretty minor complaints. I love everything else about the car, and it's so much fun to drive.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

:psyduck:

This is why I hate what Subaru has become in recent years. Subaru was a completely different world back in 2001. I don't go to any meets and don't plan on it. Who the heck buys a $25k car and buys suspension that costs $400.

Sorry for the rant; but, I hate the Subaru crowd sometimes and it hurts me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

You wont because there isnt. If anything, Subaru tends to run the out of factory somewhat rich, which is why a simple re-tune can gain a resonable amount.

If anything it runs lean from the factory, and the timing maps suck for our 91 octane fuel. Here's a stock pull:

Click here for the full 871x1198 image.

notice how the thing runs 14:1 until after 4000rpm?

And here's a nice stock plot showing how much the ECU loves to use the knock sensor:

Click here for the full 851x642 image.

and people wonder why ringlands are blowing up left and right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those plots are from STIs though aren't they? Are the regular WRX stock tunes the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

ALL that said though, getting behind the wheel of that car was like putting on a well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt so familiar. I instantly settled in and took off as if I've been driving it instead of my own for the past 9 years. That basically took the experience over the top. I wasn't just driving a new car, I was driving my car as if it were designed and built brand new in 2011.

You post is exactly what I felt today. My 07 WRX is probably going to be totaled ( :'( ). So I was out shopping for a replacement. I went to a dealership, initially looking at a Legacy wagon, but decided to take a 09 WRX for a drive. And wow. It feels like the same car, just with every little thing fixed. As you said, the engine no longer stutters < 2k RPMs, the seat material is nicer, the climate control knobs are superb, etc. The amount that they refined the engine was absolutely stunning.

However, I took an 08 LGT out for a drive, and drat was it nice too. Neither cars had the umph of my old one down low (it has intake, OS tune, & turbo-back), but damned if they didn't both haul more rear end on the freeway. I'm sure they are both substantially more aerodynamic.

Now I'm torn, the LGT is substantially cheaper -- 19k list versus 25k for the WRX -- but I like the feel of the WRX better. Someone has to explain to me why the LGT isn't at all a compromise. All these talks of 300WHP on the stock turbo are certainly helping.