Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
How should I go about promoting music shows on LastFM?

I make events, and the performing acts have a link appear on their respective pages, but I'm unsure where to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone have any good resources for learning to play by ear? I've been trying to learn some David Lee Roth tracks, but I can never find any tabs for the ones I want to do.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 15, 2010

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby
I'm JUST learning the basics of guitar right now, so please bear with me...

I have some confusion pertaining to capos and how exactly they effect the music that you're playing. I always thought of capos as being these things that take whatever you're doing on the fretboard and bumping it up a few octaves, while leaving the actual notes/chords you're playing the same (I realize this is probably a wrong assertion). I then realized however that an F# chord is simply an E chord with the first fret barred and that an Ab chord is simply a G chord with the first fret barred...so wouldn't capos, essentially doing the exact same thing your index finger would do in say an F# chord, change whatever chords you're playing? Like if I put a capo on the first fret wouldn't me trying to play a song that goes "E, G" come out as "F#, Ab"? And if I put a capo on the first fret then play an "F#" by barring the first fret that comes after the capo what the hell am I playing then? I'm confused.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

I'm JUST learning the basics of guitar right now, so please bear with me...

(stuff)...so wouldn't capos, essentially doing the exact same thing your index finger would do in say an F# chord, change whatever chords you're playing? Like if I put a capo on the first fret wouldn't me trying to play a song that goes "E, G" come out as "F#, Ab"?

You are close here. If you capo'd the first fret, you'd raise everything by a half step, so E G would be F, G#...F# is a whole step from E so you probably just mistyped this.

There's two ways I can think of to figure out what is going on. Relative and absolute (I just made these up). See if either of these make sense to you.
Relative - pretend that the capo is the nut. If you're supposed to play E, do 022100 where 0 means "where the capo is". Basically figure out the chord relative to the capo instead of the nut. To find out what the chord actually is (sounds like), just add a half step for every fret you've capo'd, i.e., your fingers are making an E, but you've put a capo on the third fret, so what comes out is E + half + half + half = G.

Absolute - pretend that the capo doesn't exist. This is easier to work out with barre chords because with barre chords, you have no open strings at all so the capo effectively doesn't exist (if you fret at the 5th fret, you can do whatever you want on frets 1-4 and it has no effect on the sound at all). If you play 577655, that's an A barre chord and it doesn't matter if there's a capo on fret 1 or fret 3 or no capo at all. If you're playing a chord with open strings, then a bit of theory or knowledge can help you. For example, the open G chord is _3_20003. The root of this chord is a G and it's played on the 3rd fret of your lowest string (I put _ around it). Now lets say you've got a capo on the 5th fret and you're playing an open G shape. Forget about the capo and look at the absolute fret numbers. In this case it would be _8_75558. We know that 8 on the 6th string is a C and since we know that in this chord shape that note is the root of the chord, we must be playing a C chord.

I hope I didn't just make things worse.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I trying to learn Piano, and I don't have money/space for a real one. I'm looking for a no-frills keyboard that has a USB interface and can produce sound either via software on the PC, or through built in speakers. Preferably under $250. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about something like the M-Audio Keyrig 61, but I don't produce music; I just want to learn to play.

I'm either going to need a digital piano or some high end sound equipment for my PC, aren't I?

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

I trying to learn Piano, and I don't have money/space for a real one. I'm looking for a no-frills keyboard that has a USB interface and can produce sound either via software on the PC, or through built in speakers. Preferably under $250. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about something like the M-Audio Keyrig 61, but I don't produce music; I just want to learn to play.

I'm either going to need a digital piano or some high end sound equipment for my PC, aren't I?

Speaking from experience, if you want to learn to play the piano you need 88 weighted keys. Some flimsy plastic 61-key MIDI-controller from M-Audio won't cut it. Trust me.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Arashikage posted:

Speaking from experience, if you want to learn to play the piano you need 88 weighted keys. Some flimsy plastic 61-key MIDI-controller from M-Audio won't cut it. Trust me.

Well It's as I said the real deal literally will not fit in my tiny apartment. I get what you are saying and I understand, and if circumstances were different I wouldn't even be asking but I really need a substitute. I plan on taking lessons where I will be using a real piano, but for practice at home I need something that is serviceable given the restrictions at hand.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

Well It's as I said the real deal literally will not fit in my tiny apartment. I get what you are saying and I understand, and if circumstances were different I wouldn't even be asking but I really need a substitute. I plan on taking lessons where I will be using a real piano, but for practice at home I need something that is serviceable given the restrictions at hand.

Have you actually measured? my 88 key stage piano is 135 cm and my 61 key WK2 is 105, not an extreme difference. In any case, if you absolutely cannot fit an 88 key weighted keyboard then at least make sure that the 61 (or better 76) key solution you choose at least has a weighted action if you want your practise to transfer to 'the real thing'.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You can find Midi Keyboards that are over 61 keys that will be cheaper than a keyboard with its own sound samples/synthesizer, that you can plug into your computer via USB to control Virtual Synthesizers. You can store this keyboard standing up on its side in a closet, or under a bed when not in use.

For the computer the keyboard may come with a "lite' version of some kind of software where you can use virtual instruments (if it doesn't come with a 'Grand Piano' or similar, there are bound to be free VST's that sound decent enough to learn on). If not I'm pretty sure there are some free DAWs (dont ask me) that can take VST's.

Whats your price range?

fake edit;
I can't attest to the quality of this keyboard but its 88 keys, and includes 'studio software' and is $220 bucks. Strictly for learning I don't see why this wouldn't cut it, and as you grow into/out of the software you can upgrade. I've got an M-audio 25 and I like it for what it is (MIDI controller), sure I have to cycle through octaves but I'm not playing piano in a traditional style.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
My budget is around $250-300. No, I haven't actually measured yet. I will but I just know my place is pretty cramped (studio apartment).

Something like that M-Audio is what I was looking in to. I know it doesn't have true weighted keys, but at least I could finagle it into the corner where my computer desk sits. I also found the Yamaha NP-30 in my searches, anyone have first hand experience?

Bear in mind that I am not, nor ever will be a professional musician. Thanks for the advice thus far, at least now I know that I don't need anything beyond a USB connection for that M-Audio to work.

SouvlakiPlaystation
Jan 7, 2006

Ave Lucifer, baby

havelock posted:

You are close here. If you capo'd the first fret, you'd raise everything by a half step, so E G would be F, G#...F# is a whole step from E so you probably just mistyped this.

There's two ways I can think of to figure out what is going on. Relative and absolute (I just made these up). See if either of these make sense to you.
Relative - pretend that the capo is the nut. If you're supposed to play E, do 022100 where 0 means "where the capo is". Basically figure out the chord relative to the capo instead of the nut. To find out what the chord actually is (sounds like), just add a half step for every fret you've capo'd, i.e., your fingers are making an E, but you've put a capo on the third fret, so what comes out is E + half + half + half = G.

Absolute - pretend that the capo doesn't exist. This is easier to work out with barre chords because with barre chords, you have no open strings at all so the capo effectively doesn't exist (if you fret at the 5th fret, you can do whatever you want on frets 1-4 and it has no effect on the sound at all). If you play 577655, that's an A barre chord and it doesn't matter if there's a capo on fret 1 or fret 3 or no capo at all. If you're playing a chord with open strings, then a bit of theory or knowledge can help you. For example, the open G chord is _3_20003. The root of this chord is a G and it's played on the 3rd fret of your lowest string (I put _ around it). Now lets say you've got a capo on the 5th fret and you're playing an open G shape. Forget about the capo and look at the absolute fret numbers. In this case it would be _8_75558. We know that 8 on the 6th string is a C and since we know that in this chord shape that note is the root of the chord, we must be playing a C chord.

I hope I didn't just make things worse.

This actually made a good bit of sense. Thanks.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
If I'm mixing in a regular home bedroom, are 8" monitors overkill?

EDIT: I think this room is 12' x 12'.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 16, 2010

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Does anyone have any good recommendations for sites or lessons on how to improve my fingerpicking style? I remember there was a thread in here but I've searched and I think it must be lost to the archives.

At the moment I've just been sticking my guitar in some open tunings and sort of half-assedly arpeggiating things, but I need some focus to help me improve, as well as being able to co-ordinate my fingers to play seperately from my thumb

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

My budget is around $250-300. No, I haven't actually measured yet. I will but I just know my place is pretty cramped (studio apartment).

Something like that M-Audio is what I was looking in to. I know it doesn't have true weighted keys, but at least I could finagle it into the corner where my computer desk sits. I also found the Yamaha NP-30 in my searches, anyone have first hand experience?

Bear in mind that I am not, nor ever will be a professional musician. Thanks for the advice thus far, at least now I know that I don't need anything beyond a USB connection for that M-Audio to work.

If you can fit the NP30 you can probably fit the 3 inch wider Yamaha P85, which is a pretty standard sized stage piano. You could maybe find one used within your budget range too. IMO, the P85 is the cheapest digital piano that's still OK to play if your goal is to learn to play piano in some capacity. You can find cheaper Casios, but personally I think they're poo poo. YMMV though, so my best piece of advice is to hit up a music store with a wide selection of DPs and try them out and see what you like, but I repeat, if you are ready to invest a decent amount of time into playing, trying to save $100 by going for some inferior product is a really bad idea. You're in the price range where the law of diminishing returns is very much not in play.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I agree with the other poster in that if you want to learn to play piano you need a keyboard with weighted (as opposed to synth) action. In your piano lessons your teacher is going to be asking you to think about the rate that you depress the key and rounding the note and without the proper equipment this is just going to be impossible to hear in practice.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I guess the question should be refined a bit more, unless i misunderstood.

Are you trying to learn keyboard, as in music theory, notes and scales, finger positioning etc

Or are you trying to learn piano specifically, as an instrument.

I think if you're just trying to get the theory and learn to play music, (since you're taking lessons I assume yes) then I really don't see a problem with a cheaper, non-weighted keyboard to practice on.

But it all comes down to preference, we use both weighted and non weighted keys in our band, and I really don't have a preference either way...but you should go to a store and try them out first, and see if its something you care about.

But I'm by no means a great instrumentalist, and certainly can't play the keyboard as well as most people, so take what I say as you will, these other guys are more experienced, I know my brother (the real keyboardist/instrumentalist) really loves the weighted keys on his Motif, but unweighted doesn't effect his performance at all either...

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Sorry, when I said I was learning "piano" I didn't mean specifically an acoustic piano. Yes, I want to broaden my understanding of music theory and learn pieces, and perhaps even do some of my own arrangements in the future. I play guitar as well and I think it would be fun to have something I can record with and overdub the two (just for shits and giggles, really.)

As far as actually playing, my goals are just to learn scales and chords, develop my ambidexterity, and maybe learn to play things by ear a little better. Plus I just love piano and I've always wanted to learn more. I know I will never be a concert pianist, but it's simply for my own leisure.

That said, I am looking into something thats still somewhat small and affordable with at least semi weighted keys. If I ever was to sit down in front of an acoustic piano, I think I would want to be able to play it somewhat properly. I guess it's time to head down to the music store.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 16, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

screaden posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for sites or lessons on how to improve my fingerpicking style?

Yes. Yes I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFNO3yqO9Kg

That video and its second part should keep you busy for a little while at least. Once you get the basic thumb pattern solid, the complexity of what you can do will depend mostly on the independence of your other fingers and of course your left hand technique.

On the subject of the piano/keyboard thing:

I don't think you need a fully weighted keyboard to start learning piano. Partially weighted action should be okay. I would say that you want the full 88 keys though, and there is one more thing that I think is the most important of all: You need to be able to set your keyboard up so that you can play it seated and have it at the correct height. I normally have lovely posture when I play, but for a while I had my keyboard set up so I could only play it standing, and it was too low in relation to my arms. This is a recipe for disaster- bad habits and possible repetitive stress injuries. If you want to do more good than harm by starting out on a keyboard, find a way to be seated properly when you practice.

If you do that, there is plenty you can learn that will be very helpful to you- scale and chord shapes, reading, and to an extent repertoire. There will be a discrepancy between the technique you learn in lessons and what you are able to do at home but I imagine you're smart enough to navigate that.

Finally, since your budget is rock bottom, I recommend buying used. This Yamaha is pretty close to your budget as-is. It also has midi I/O, which means if you get nicer software sounds down the line you can use it to control them. Find a display or rental model in a store and see if they'll sell it to you cheaper. L&M and Tom Lee always have when I've asked.

There are other things you'll need to buy- hopefully a sustain pedal, a stand, some decent headphones. I suspect you'll go over budget, but if you find a decent deal on the keyboard itself it doesn't need to be by much.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
I'm sure its been Asked, Answered and Discussed in numerous threads,

But what are the best strap locks to use on a guitar/bass?

Id like something thats not too big but that seems kinda impossible.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Spikeness posted:

I'm sure its been Asked, Answered and Discussed in numerous threads,

But what are the best strap locks to use on a guitar/bass?

Id like something thats not too big but that seems kinda impossible.

I use the Dunlop Straplok things, they're only a bit larger than normal strap buttons. Are they too big for you?

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

Boz0r posted:

I use the Dunlop Straplok things, they're only a bit larger than normal strap buttons. Are they too big for you?

No, those are a nice size from what I've seen, I was going to get some but I figured I'd ask around first.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Spikeness posted:

No, those are a nice size from what I've seen, I was going to get some but I figured I'd ask around first.

I have some generic thing I got from guitar center that has a small button on the guitar, virtually the same size as the default. The connector has a U shape to it though, so in case the latch bit fails the guitar is still cradled in the U bit.

They seem to work pretty well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I posted this in the Effects/Pedal thread but I figured I'd post it here too:

I think I just broke my Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. I dropped it yesterday and something came loose and then when I opened up the back to see what I think I made it worse and now the foot switch doesn't work. I might have just put the spring back in wrong. Any advice as to what I should do? I'm not in love with the pedal and I've been beginning to think I like my Russian Muff more, but it was like $90 bucks and I don't want to throw that away, nor do I want to piss much more money at it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I have a PreSonus FireBox recording interface, but I only have one mic. It's currently recording stereo but with only one mic it's only recording a left channel. Obviously this isn't great - if I'm recording in Cubase it's fine because I can open the track as a new mono audio track, but if I'm using other programs it's not working for me, especially if I'm using video editing software that won't let me manipulate the sound separately.

Is there any way to get the box to record in mono?

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I think that the recording settings are generally set in whichever program you are using to record. By choosing mono it should know to use the left input (usually channel 1.)

Edit: oh, you knew that. The only other option I could think of would be to fake stereo by getting a splitter and plugging your one mic into both channels 1 and 2.

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010

Boz0r posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for learning to play by ear? I've been trying to learn some David Lee Roth tracks, but I can never find any tabs for the ones I want to do.

Get Guitar Pro. It's a way to hear AND see what's going on in a song. Learn your intervals, and be able to identify them when you hear them and see them on a fretboard. Learn the major scale and all the modes of it, and the blues scale, since it's so important in rock music. When you get your scales down you can often dissect riffs by ear without an instrument. Learn to associate a particular interval with part of a riff. For example, the main riff to Botnus by Buckethead is based around a fifth, and whenever I want to hear a fifth in my head I remember that riff. Whenever I want to hear a minor third I think of Big Red Rocket of Love by The Reverend Horton Heat, and so on. That makes it easier for me, and it makes transcribing kinda like copy and paste work.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Complete guitar beginner here. Can anyone tell me what chord(s) are being played for this specific segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_p-EzfJRIk#t=2m20s

Many thanks.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sad Mammal posted:

Complete guitar beginner here. Can anyone tell me what chord(s) are being played for this specific segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_p-EzfJRIk#t=2m20s

Many thanks.

For the chord, it's a F major chord (F-A-C) arpeggiated with the rhythm of the riff/rhythm/whatever. Tabbing it WITHOUT A CAPO (because it's easier for me) it's

code:
E------------------------
B--------1---------------
G----------2----------2--
D-----------------------3
A--1-1-------------------
E---------------1-1------
The beginning bass run (Bb-F) is run through an octave pedal to blend the guitar signal and the signal an octave lower.

Hope this helps.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
What's the easiest/most economical way to record video which I can sync to audio recorded on my DAW?

I'd like to record some video clips in my studio, and then be able to go in and tweak/remix the audio later if necessary, with the end result of something I could stick up on youtube.

Right now my video recording tech consists of a Panasonic Lumix point & shoot cam with a video mode, and the camera on my Droid. I wouldn't mind picking up a modest video cam (and it would be sort of nice being able to shoot at 720p) but I want to do this basically as inexpensively as possible.

On the DAW end there's a FireFace 400, which can basically handle any kind of timecode sync and digital IO you can think of.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've got something of a ridiculous question. I want to get a toy piano to do sort of a copycat Pascal Comelade thing – are there any toy pianos that are better than others? I mean, I also don't want to spend more than, say, $50, but I'd be quite interested in really any information on that niche of instrument.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
What are those screens that so many artists use on stage(especially those with large repertoires) that scroll the lyrics by in time with the music?

I assume they're like TelePrompTers that work off of MIDI? Anyone know the name of the software they use and how it works?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Why can't I open wavs in Reason? I'm sure I used to be able to, but when I go to the sample browser in Redrum or other instruments, it only shows .aif files. It's driving me nuts.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I am a decent guitarist but only just starting to learn my true musical love - the theremin. I don't know what songs to learn though. I plan to make backing tracks either with guitar or with FL Studios for some basic classical songs and such, but I don't know where to start with them. Any suggestions?

I've a lot of jazz backing tracks, but after dabbling I've decided my best course of action is to take some very basic pieces and master the poo poo out of them with dynamic articulation and such rather than trying to play more advanced and complicated music like jazz.

Edit: alternatively, does anyone know anywhere where I can find free backing tracks for baroque or classical/romantic music? I don't have any spare money to pay for a backing CD. Especially handy would be the two staples of the theremin repertoire, Le Cygne (Saint-Saëns) and Clair de Lune.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2010

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

h_double posted:

What's the easiest/most economical way to record video which I can sync to audio recorded on my DAW?
You mean recording both at the same time? Do it like they did it back in the day:

You know the cliche cartoon scene where the guy runs out with the slate in front of the camera and says "Scene 4, Take 20 aaaaaaaaaan ACTION!" and claps the thing shut? That was used to sync everything before timecode. Once all the tape and film was up to proper speed, the stage manager would run out and clap the slate. In post, multiple cameras would be sync'd to the first frame where the slate appeared closed. That point would be lined up with any audio recordings based on the impulse of the thing slamming shut.

Nowadays the slate is a part of the timecode process in that it visually shows the timecode and clapping it shut often starts the code rolling at a particular predetermined point.

So basically, you can sync everything with a clap, or if you're recording MIDI or something, hit a drum pad obviously and sync the first frame where you're touching it to the triggering of the sample. Lower budget concert DVDs with no timecode sync to the first snare hit in a song and sync cameras with photo camera flashes or strobing lights after they change tapes.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Paramemetic posted:

I've a lot of jazz backing tracks, but after dabbling I've decided my best course of action is to take some very basic pieces and master the poo poo out of them with dynamic articulation and such rather than trying to play more advanced and complicated music like jazz.

Many jazz standards have very simple tunes, so I wouldn't discount them all. Pamelia Kurstin's rendition of Autumn Leaves for her Ted talk gets technical further in, but the beginning variations are relatively straightforward. As for classical, I bet that a book of exercises for female voice would have reasonably attainable material. Of course later on you can specialize in adapting completely unsuitable music for the theramin, like that guy on youtube who only plays marching band music.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Many jazz standards have very simple tunes, so I wouldn't discount them all. Pamelia Kurstin's rendition of Autumn Leaves for her Ted talk gets technical further in, but the beginning variations are relatively straightforward. As for classical, I bet that a book of exercises for female voice would have reasonably attainable material. Of course later on you can specialize in adapting completely unsuitable music for the theramin, like that guy on youtube who only plays marching band music.

But you also need to do this too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyF_UN8g9f0

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I might possibly want to run through an Avatar 4x12. Will anything blow up?

a baby anime
Aug 14, 2010

by Ozma
does anyone know anything about labels? like what would be considered proper behavior, the reason I ask is because I got signed to a small label in france and I had to negotiate with them about royalties, I guess they dont pay royalties until two years/a year after a single is released because its easier to pay them in huge lump sums to the artists I guess, I've already asked around and talked to people on the label so I know they arent loving me around or anything, I negotiated them to pay me royalties twice a year, does this sound reasonable?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Ireneo Funes posted:

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I might possibly want to run through an Avatar 4x12. Will anything blow up?

Not if you match impedances. Check your manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

a baby anime posted:

does anyone know anything about labels? like what would be considered proper behavior, the reason I ask is because I got signed to a small label in france and I had to negotiate with them about royalties, I guess they dont pay royalties until two years/a year after a single is released because its easier to pay them in huge lump sums to the artists I guess, I've already asked around and talked to people on the label so I know they arent loving me around or anything, I negotiated them to pay me royalties twice a year, does this sound reasonable?

If you signed already it's a bit too late now, but make sure you always have a lawyer with experience in the entertainment business examine anything you sign in the future. A record label is a company like any other, and will try to hold on to money as long as possible. Getting paid twice a year isn't bad at all, though. Just make sure you keep an eye on your affairs, incl. SACEM payments, publishing, etc. Unless you have a manager, in which case that's the person to keep a very close eye on... SACEM money, if any, should flow directly to you, though.

Also, there may be all sorts of details covered by actual law now, 'cause of (I think) the intermittents du spectacle thing a few years back.