Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Since WordPress 3.0 added in the MU multisite stuff, it would be very easy for you to have basically multiple blogs out of just one WordPress 3 installation. With one WordPress installation, you could basically spit out as many unique/individual blogs as you want, a blog for every high school you cover.

From a maintenance/security point of view, this is a dream, since you only have to update one WordPress installation.

quote:

We want each school page to have the school logo/helmet/whatever in the top right, and optionally but preferably the ability to set the team colors as the theme for that page, though I don't even begin to know how to do that. An added bonus would be a user-editable score ticker for each school.
This is easy as hell nowadays. There has been a feature added where you can change the header automatically based on the page and so literally every page can have a different header image. The tennis page could have a picture of the school's tennis team, etc.

I also mentioned this plugin earlier:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-custom-field-widget/

This would allow you to have a specialized menu or content in the sidebar (say at the top of the sidebar) that is contingent upon whatever that page or post is about. You could even have it display a logo or other image in the sidebar depending on what page is being shown.

They've done a good job of adding in little stuff like being able to change the header depending on the page, and then with the custom field stuff + the plugin I mentioned allowing you to have an easily customized sidebar.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

tonelok posted:

Since WordPress 3.0 added in the MU multisite stuff, it would be very easy for you to have basically multiple blogs out of just one WordPress 3 installation. With one WordPress installation, you could basically spit out as many unique/individual blogs as you want, a blog for every high school you cover.

Holy crap they have updated the hell out of this since I used it last. Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into this. I didn't know they had integrated MU into the main WP install either, that is pretty awesome and I always wondered why they didn't do that to begin with.

I may also look into replacing vbulletin as well, does anyone have experience with BuddyPress and how user-friendly is it?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Lareous posted:

Holy crap they have updated the hell out of this since I used it last. Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into this. I didn't know they had integrated MU into the main WP install either, that is pretty awesome and I always wondered why they didn't do that to begin with.
Yeah in your situation it would be perfect, since you would only be dealing with one actual installation and not having to track individual installs, and yet everything would be separate/unique depending on the high school.

quote:

I may also look into replacing vbulletin as well, does anyone have experience with BuddyPress and how user-friendly is it?
BuddyPress is not a forum so much as it's more of a social-networking add-on.

There is the Simple:Press plugin which is a pretty solid forum so far, but for what you want, if you can push off messing with the forum aspect for a few months, you might want to go with the BuddyPress/bbPress route. bbPress is finally going to get an overhaul from some of the core WordPress team and it's going to be a plugin as well, and it's going to feature tight integration with BuddyPress/WordPress. It's a few months off though as they work things out, although beta testing for the bbPress plugin is supposed to be starting within the next week.

A combination of WordPress/BuddyPress/bbPress seems to be perfect for what you want. Just around a month ago, the WP team posted this:

quote:

If you haven’t heard the word, there is a fury of activity going on at this very moment in the WordPress community. For the first time in over 8 years, the core development team is not working on the next version of WordPress, but rather on an initiative that’s been dubbed “3.org.”

3.org is a very appropriately named project that is focused on building and polishing the surrounding elements of WordPress rather than on WordPress itself. Part of this initiative is the conversion of bbPress from a standalone platform into a neat little WordPress plugin. I’ve volunteered to lead that initiative, and wanted to take a moment to explain what that means for BuddyPress, bbPress, and what you can expect for the next few months.

Since BuddyPress 1.1, bbPress has come bundled in the package to help make the installation as smooth and easy as possible. Through a little bit of massaging we successfully integrated bbPress into a dedicated forum component to allow for group discussion, and we included a central discussion directory to help put all of these topics in one easy place. All of these ideas were great on paper but have had mixed feedback and results in practice. Making bbPress a standalone plugin will help allow for more customizable installations which is great news for anyone that’s currently using BuddyPress for the forum component, or has been holding off because of the complexity of it all.

Our goal with me giving some attention to the bbPress plugin project is to keep it tightly integrated with BuddyPress, but have them act totally independently or alone if necessary. This means in a future version of BuddyPress, bbPress will no longer come packaged in the download, and both plugins will be aware of each other being activated. When that happens, additional features will be available to you to help create the kind of community that you’d like to have, instead of forcing forums to be tucked away into BuddyPress discussion groups.

The end result will be two plugins working harmoniously together, to easily enable setups where bbPress forums can be created for any other kind of object, component, or plugin. This is particularly awesome for BuddyPress developers because it will allow them to internally extend bbPress to fit the specific needs of their own custom BuddyPress components as they see fit.

With all this going on, the loose expectation is for BuddyPress 1.2.6 to roll out asap with a few bug fixes and maybe even a small new enhancement or two, with 1.3 to follow by the end of the year. bbPress 1.2 (the plugin) should be stable enough to start testing as soon as September 15 (give or take a few days and/or missing features) with a full release due around the same time as BuddyPress 1.3.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

tonelok posted:

A combination of WordPress/BuddyPress/bbPress seems to be perfect for what you want. Just around a month ago, the WP team posted this:

That sounds pretty awesome. Glad I decided to check back into Wordpress again, it seems to have pretty much everything I want but the ticker and I can probably find one or make one myself.

TheMarsVoltaire
Jun 16, 2008
I am currently setting up a new wordpress site for my local chamber of commerce and one of the features they would like to have is a business directory. I have tried nearly every plugin that comes up under a search for "business directory" in the Plugin Directory but none so far have had the right combination of features.

The directory would need to have:
1. A form on a page, available to the public, that would allow businesses to submit their information.
2. Submitted profiles would have to to be approved by the site admin before being visible in the public directory.
3. Custom categories that can be assigned to profiles.
4. Custom profile fields the admin can set. Many of the plugins I've already tried only allow a default set of fields.

Are there any plugins that anyone knows of that are that customizable?

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Gravity Forms supports most of your requirements. I'm pretty sure that if you don't want the directory to be a custom post type it will cover them all. I bought a developer license for Gravity Forms since I use it so much, and highly recommend it.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Is there a way I can change the order of my pages as they appear on the navigation menu? or am I going to have to re-add them all in the correct order? :ohdear:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Changing page order is explained here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/page-attributes/

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Thanks dude! Exactly what I needed :cheers:

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
I'm ignorant.

I've only ever done some small modifications to my blogger about 4 years ago, but I'm willing to learn. I want to have a professional looking site with a front page, blog, photo gallery, and order form, that will eventually be able to take payments through it. Is this something that I could teach myself to do, or how much can I expect to pay to have this sort of thing done? And what's the best way to learn this kind of stuff?

I have the domain, hosting, and wordpress installed and played with, and I think I could probably maintain it once someone got it designed.

For background, I'm a mechanical engineer that's done some C++, VB, and robot programming, but this stuff is pretty foreign to me.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

iwannabebobdylan posted:

I'm ignorant.

I've only ever done some small modifications to my blogger about 4 years ago, but I'm willing to learn. I want to have a professional looking site with a front page, blog, photo gallery, and order form, that will eventually be able to take payments through it. Is this something that I could teach myself to do, or how much can I expect to pay to have this sort of thing done? And what's the best way to learn this kind of stuff?

I have the domain, hosting, and wordpress installed and played with, and I think I could probably maintain it once someone got it designed.

For background, I'm a mechanical engineer that's done some C++, VB, and robot programming, but this stuff is pretty foreign to me.

Someone with basic technical knowledge should be able to do all of this themselves with at most a little hand-holding. So with your background, it should be a snap. The wordpress codex will walk you through a lot of it and what it can't answer, we can. :)

I'd look at some of the premium themes out there - if you find one you like, the rest is a snap. I'd start with http://graphpaperpress.com/ and http://www.studiopress.com/ . You might even like one of the free themes at http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/08/19/100-free-high-quality-wordpress-themes-for-2010/ .

I should add, if you want a custom design/coding or some sort of fancy e-commerce, it might be worth paying someone to set you up, but in my experience, very few individual blogs need that kind of investment.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

cocteau posted:

:drat:

Hey! Badass! Thanks!

I thought the only themes were the free ones, and I didn't see any I could live with. This will be great, I'd really like to minimize my upfront investment until I can make some dollars from this.

Thanks for the direction!

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Any good guides on how to write a functions.php file which would add custom inputs (like selects, checkboxes ect) into a new post panel?

TheMarsVoltaire
Jun 16, 2008
Continuing from my last post, I have installed Gravity Forms and the plugin "Gravity Forms Directory & Addons" and setup a form. However, the approved checkbox I set doesn't appear to be working. As far as I can tell I have setup the field the way the addon told me to, but for some reason, if I have my directory shortcode set to only display entries that have their approved checkbox field checked, the directory just displays an empty list, regardless of the approved field being checked or not in each entry.

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

What setup/plugins/whatever do you guys use to integrate a photo gallery in your blog ? I don't want to embed galleries into posts, but have a separate section where my galleries are.

I'm currently running a separate ZenPhoto installation and while I do love ZP (mostly because the admin panel is nice and I want hierarchical albums) I'm sick of having two different themes (one for wordpress and one for zenphoto).

I think porting a theme from one to the other is out of my reach, so either I'll have to integrate ZP in WP, or use another method (WP plugin?) which is what I'm asking for recommendations I guess.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Now that Gallery has been completely overhauled from top to bottom, and is nearing the final 3.0 release, I'm looking at it for a project of both displaying photos within WordPress posts, and acting as a stand-alone gallery. There are two plugins for WordPress integration, one is available but barebones, and what looks to be the better one is nearly complete - the developer is waiting for the final Gallery 3.0 release.

e: ehh maybe there are three plugins, this is another and it looks like when you're editing posts, you can insert directly from the gallery through an added toolbar.

e2: That's probably way overkill for what you need. I needed a gallery that could handle a lot of photos and that would be easy to browse by non-techies, and a lot of the photos would not be displayed within WordPress posts.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 12, 2010

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

tonelok posted:

(...) There are two plugins for WordPress integration, one is available but barebones, and what looks to be the better one is nearly complete - the developer is waiting for the final Gallery 3.0 release.

Got links to those two ?

Thanks !

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Alex007 posted:

What setup/plugins/whatever do you guys use to integrate a photo gallery in your blog ? I don't want to embed galleries into posts, but have a separate section where my galleries are.

I'm currently running a separate ZenPhoto installation and while I do love ZP (mostly because the admin panel is nice and I want hierarchical albums) I'm sick of having two different themes (one for wordpress and one for zenphoto).

I think porting a theme from one to the other is out of my reach, so either I'll have to integrate ZP in WP, or use another method (WP plugin?) which is what I'm asking for recommendations I guess.

People in these parts swear by the NextGEN Gallery plugin, and all the various plugins written for it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Is there a working plugin for wordpress that allows you to post to a facebook PAGE or GROUP? There's plenty for posting to a profile and they all work mostly fine but it's such a bitch to post to a page.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Lady Galaga posted:

Is there a working plugin for wordpress that allows you to post to a facebook PAGE or GROUP? There's plenty for posting to a profile and they all work mostly fine but it's such a bitch to post to a page.

i dont have an answer for you, but can you tell me which ones you use to post from wordpress to facebook profile?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

stoops posted:

i dont have an answer for you, but can you tell me which ones you use to post from wordpress to facebook profile?

I use Feedburner for my feeds. I go into my page in Facebook and give it the URL for that feed. That way each of my blog posts shows up on my FB page in the "notes" section.

I wasn't able to get this to work with the regular WordPress feed. And this is the only way I can get anything from my site to show up on Facebook automatically. I'd be very interested in other solutions.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Alex007 posted:

Got links to those two ?

Thanks !
I'm kind of hanging back to see the final release of Gallery 3 and what pops up.

Plugins:
http://www.heiv.fr/projets/plugin-wordpress-gallery-3/
http://www.gallerymodules.com/ (look towards the bottom for WordPress)

Maybe it is only two plugins, with the first one (heiv) being more developed. Both are available. In theory, there should be no problems since Gallery 3 is in a late RC stage, so installing now and then updating later should be okay.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

After messing with Buddypress on Multisite I like the way it works, but I can't find much information on what I want to do.

What I want to do is have Buddypress on it's own blog and not on the main one. i.e. the admin bar at the top is fine but when you hit profile/latest posts/etc I want it to go to mysite.com/social instead of try to use my main blog theme. The idea behind this is that the social side of the site has it's own complete theme distinct from the main site. Is this possible or am I going about this the wrong way?

Wow I looked for hours and then when I posted this I found what I was looking for. Go figure.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 14, 2010

MickTheDuck
Jan 1, 2007

cocteau posted:

I use Feedburner for my feeds..<snip>.. I'd be very interested in other solutions.

Lady Galaga posted:

Is there a working plugin for wordpress that allows you to post to a facebook PAGE or GROUP?

RSS Graffiti is good for posting to walls of profiles and fanpages. It checks your sites RSS feed for entries to post. http://apps.facebook.com/rssgraffiti/

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So I wrote my first function for my theme and I want it to run the first time the theme is loaded so that way the user HAS to select certain options. Whats the best way to do this?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Bleh. I've got a complicated WP question I've been banging my head about for an hour or so. If this isn't the proper place please let me know and I'll head over to the general PHP question thread, but it's WP Specific.

I'm using The Events Calender, which is great. However, I'm creating a feed that will spit out 5 upcoming events from the calender in a <li> format. The issue is that WP normally sorts by the post-date, not the Meta date of the event.

I used a custom field (called event_num) to get around this, setting the event_num value to a YYYYMMDD format.

Here's the code.

php:
<?php $event_date_var the_date('Ymd'); ?>

<?php
$featuredPosts = new WP_Query();
$featuredPosts->query('meta_key=event_num&showposts=5&cat=5&orderby=meta_value_num&order=ASC');
while ($featuredPosts->have_posts()) : $featuredPosts->the_post(); ?>

content stuff below
Now this works great, the only issue it it will display events that have already happened. I can manually delete the old custom fields, but that's a pain.

Is there some sort of comparative argument I can set up? I've tried using the meta_compare function to compare the event_num value to $event_date_var but it doesn't seem to float variables.

I hate coding but it's part of my job. I just want to make pretty pictures. :(

Thanks in advance goons.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
tack on post_status=future to the string and that should work.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I will give that a try. Thanks! :)

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

Lady Galaga posted:

Try twitterfeed. It's a Website and not a pkugin. But it'll will check your rss feed every 30 minutes then push your updates to a number of social media sites. When you link it to facebook you get a drop down to chose either your wall or any page you've got admin on. Works really well for me so far.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
Hi all,

After reviewing a bunch of CMS options - Joomla, Umbraco, Wordpress, DIY, I'm pretty much ready to plan all my future CMS development around WordPress.

Is there a standard set of plugins you guys would recommend to begin using WP as a general CMS?

The "All in One SEO Pack" looks useful, anything else? Is there a recommended plugin for multi-lingual sites?

thanks

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have been using qTranslate for multilingual sites. It is pretty simple.

Most people use Contact Form 7 for their contact page. The caching plugins are good - maybe wc3 total cache is best now? I'm not really sure.

I really like head cleaner. It does some amazing stuff to the head element.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
WordPress really only became great when they introduced custom post types. Leverage this feature and you will be happy!

Admin Menu Editor: Reorder or hide menu items in the admin. Great for when you hand things over and you want make it easier for the user. Works with custom post types, too.

Secure Wordpress: Removes WordPress version info from header and other things

Velvet Blues Update Urls: Updates database urls for attachments, useful for moving from local to staging, and then again from staging to production

Multiple Post Thumbnails: Allows you to give posts (and custom post types) more than a single Featured Image

Postmash: can be used to edit the order of Posts or any Custom Post type using a drag and drop interface. Useful if you don't want to have to manually sort using the Order field.

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2010

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Another question for Multi-Site users; is there a search plugin that only searches blog titles? All the directory plugins I've seen list them but have no A-Z categorical or search-by-name feature.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

RyanNotBrian posted:

Is there a standard set of plugins you guys would recommend to begin using WP as a general CMS?

I could not live without:

Contact Form 7
NextGen Gallery
wpPrettyPhoto
Shopp (ecommerce)
Thematic (theme framework/toolkit)
Kimili Flash Embed
Page Menu Editor (separates page name from menu entry text)

Not all of those are "CMS" things, but thats a selection of plugins for various purposes that (so far) don't seem to tread on anything else's toes (wpPrettyPhoto specifically is the slimbox style thing I found least intrusive/likely to cockup other things)

I failed HARD in a quest to find a really useful GoogleMaps plugin, however. So I built / am building my own.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
For CMS-ifying wordpress, I couldn't live without

XWidgets: "XWidgets lets you choose your widget layouts and settings for each individual page and post, instead of only having one layout applied to the whole site"

and

PBox: "PBox lets you create widgets to display content from pages, posts, and external URLs; you can also display customizable links, text, and images. Easily stylize your presentation box widget with your own custom HTML and CSS."

I use the Carrington theme framework as the foundation of all of my CMS themes. It is so much more powerful than what you can do otherwise.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

RyanNotBrian posted:

In addition to the above:

WP-Table Reloaded Makes it easy to display data in tables in pages or posts (and possibly the sidebar :v:) and makes it easy for you to style the tables within the plugin and not have to mess with .css files.

Similar to a plugin mentioned earlier, Advanced Custom Field Widget makes it easy to change the sidebar area (or footer or header or wherever you have widgets) based on individual posts or pages.

Search Meter = It tracks the searches people do on your website. It shows you the number of results they are getting and it also shows you if they aren't finding anything. If there is a common misspelling or mislabeling of something and people are searching for that, you could go in and add that misspelled term or mislabeled item to relevant pages or posts. If they are searching for information that doesn't exist on your site, you might want to go in and add that information since it maybe relevant.

Spam Magnet This is really new, but really cool. It will give you an easy way to see where you are getting the most spam comments from, both with a listing as well as a nice pie chart. If you have a handful of posts/pages that are generating a large amount of your spam, it's best to turn off comments on those posts/pages. I used it on a site to cut down spam by around 95%. The best thing to do is to not delete your spam queue for a week or two while running the plugin and then check it out, because it needs to actually have spam present to show you the pages/posts that are drawing spam.

WP System Health - run it every now and then to check the system.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2010

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
I've been trying to figure this thing out for quite a while, but have come up with nothing on WP forums, stack overflow et al.
My blog is currently set up to add all of my Twitter updates as posts, and the posts in the twitter category have css rules to style them as unobtrusive, one-liners between blog posts. The problem is that sometimes I tweet way more often than I blog, so at times my front page is nothing but 10 tweets.

What I'm trying to achieve, is to have WP fetch posts for each page until the page has at least 5 non-twitter posts or something, and at most, say, 25 posts total including the tweets.

Is there any, even remotely simple, way of achieving something like this?

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
I just stumbled into this thread, so feel free to kick my rear end if its the wrong place to ask this.

I've built a few Wordpress themes on Carrington JAM, which is a pretty okay framework but getting a little long in the tooth, what with all the lovely new features people are taking advantage of these days (it seems like they've sort of let it languish while they develop Carrington Build, which looks awesome - but not what I'm looking for). I want to start developing some themes to sell to the public, and I don't really want to start by building my own framework - that's a pretty hefty upfront time cost to eat before I even see if there's any hope in the market. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, up-to-date framework to use - particularly one that can be repackaged with commercial themes?

I'm looking at Startbox right now, but it's scary-new and I'm not sure yet if I can repackage it for this sort of use. Has anyone used it yet?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

LittleCat posted:

I just stumbled into this thread, so feel free to kick my rear end if its the wrong place to ask this.

I've built a few Wordpress themes on Carrington JAM, which is a pretty okay framework but getting a little long in the tooth, what with all the lovely new features people are taking advantage of these days (it seems like they've sort of let it languish while they develop Carrington Build, which looks awesome - but not what I'm looking for). I want to start developing some themes to sell to the public, and I don't really want to start by building my own framework - that's a pretty hefty upfront time cost to eat before I even see if there's any hope in the market. Anyone have any recommendations for a good, up-to-date framework to use - particularly one that can be repackaged with commercial themes?

I'm looking at Startbox right now, but it's scary-new and I'm not sure yet if I can repackage it for this sort of use. Has anyone used it yet?

I know some people (including myself) have used Twenty Ten as a basis for development. I've also used Starkers (ugh) and played around with Thematic, but wasn't happy with how it handled a few things. I've also played around with other blank themes as well as modifying existing themes that weren't designed for bottom up development.

A couple people I respect in the WP world have recommended StudioPress' Genesis framework to me, but I haven't made the leap to purchasing it yet. I think I might do so soon, though, because it looks sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I want to use Wordpress as a CMS for a site that is part blog, part static information. Static pages shouldn't have links to blog articles and all that stuff in the widgets but instead may contain other static meta data.

e.g.: An about page has a few paragraphs about the author as its content. On the side bar is dob, home town and email address.

A quick google tells me I can't have specific widgets on specific pages, its all or nothing. So how can I customize my wordpress-powered site in this way?