Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I played it on the Atari ST, so it was most likely available on the Amiga 500 as well.

It was a 3d puzzle game played from inside a vehicle.
I want to say that the vehicle was some form of mining equipment.
The graphics used filled polygons.
There were no NPCs AFAIR.
It's not one of the Mercenary games.
I'm nearly sure there was a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Zakalwe posted:

I played it on the Atari ST, so it was most likely available on the Amiga 500 as well.

It was a 3d puzzle game played from inside a vehicle.
I want to say that the vehicle was some form of mining equipment.
The graphics used filled polygons.
There were no NPCs AFAIR.
It's not one of the Mercenary games.
I'm nearly sure there was a sequel.
Sounds like Driller.

I might be wrong though, I've only played the ZX Spectrum version and that was quite a while ago.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Alligator posted:

Sounds like Driller.

I might be wrong though, I've only played the ZX Spectrum version and that was quite a while ago.

That's it! thank you :)

edit: someone made a complete remake! http://driller.ovine.net/

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 10, 2010

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I remember an old game that was installed on my elementary school computers. It was the late 90s but the game seemed older than that. It was on one of the upright single unit macintosh computers with 16 colors. It was educational and you played as a guy who was trying to get around a top-down level full of walls. I think you were able to open paths by solving math problems which involved carrying numbers or +/- symbols to complete partial math equations. I think you either sometimes or always got to ride on a hover scooter or skateboard or something. I remember you could move around pretty fast. I think there was heavy checkerboarding on the floor texture or something which gave me the impression of a huge carpet.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

I played this PC game around 5 years ago. It was a puzzle game that involved rotating pipes to make the green liquid fill every pipe (I distinctly remember the liquid was green). It wasn't Pipe Dream or Pipe Mania. All of the pipes were on the screen to start with, and you just had to rotate them to make them match up. I remember that the size of the playing field could be adjusted and I could have these huge 100 by 100 tile games that would distract me from work for hours at a time. Any ideas?

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I had this game on the C64. As I recall, it's a weird sort of RPG/combat thing where you pick a character from either China or Japan and wander around trying to kill or compel the other characters. There's a peasant, a general, and some other stuff.

ZenMaster on the forums has it as his avatar and it has driven me insane for months, but I always forget to ask him and I don't have plat. Can anyone identify it by sight?

Squirtle
Oct 14, 2008

Here comes the Squirtle Squad!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It wouldn't be, this then...would it?

YES, THANKYOU. Oh man that thing was the worst game.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Meepo posted:

I played this PC game around 5 years ago. It was a puzzle game that involved rotating pipes to make the green liquid fill every pipe (I distinctly remember the liquid was green). It wasn't Pipe Dream or Pipe Mania. All of the pipes were on the screen to start with, and you just had to rotate them to make them match up. I remember that the size of the playing field could be adjusted and I could have these huge 100 by 100 tile games that would distract me from work for hours at a time. Any ideas?

Could it be:
MacPipes

or Pipe Twister?

E: I also found this link all about Pipedream. It has a clones section too.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 11, 2010

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I faintly remember an inline skating game for the Playstation. Really, the only thing I can remember about it is that it was very colorful. It was definitely not Jet Grind Radio or it's sequel, it wasn't cel shaded and it was long before those games were made. To date, I haven't found any trace of this game's existence, though this may just be because I don't know the name.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Okay, this is a longshot, but, this has been killing me for almost 12 years now.

I was over my friend's house, and his step-sister was there. She brought over her sega genesis, and of course we ate that poo poo up. We played Power Rangers, Ren and Stimpy, Looney Tunes, Sonic, you know, common games that would relate to us somehow.

And then, there was this other game.

All I can remember is that it was a game about a ninja. It was almost certainly a ninja, but not like Ninja Gaiden. He sort-of had a big head, and I'm pretty sure his outfit had a green tint to it.

The other element of the game I can remember is that (at least in the first few levels, I don't know how far I got into the game) the background was candy. Like, giant icecream cones and things like that.

Any help with this would be appreciated, because literally I have been wanting to remember this game for the aforementioned 12 years.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

All I can remember is that it was a game about a ninja. It was almost certainly a ninja, but not like Ninja Gaiden. He sort-of had a big head, and I'm pretty sure his outfit had a green tint to it.

The other element of the game I can remember is that (at least in the first few levels, I don't know how far I got into the game) the background was candy. Like, giant icecream cones and things like that.

Zool, maybe.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

That Rough Beast posted:

I had this game on the C64. As I recall, it's a weird sort of RPG/combat thing where you pick a character from either China or Japan and wander around trying to kill or compel the other characters. There's a peasant, a general, and some other stuff.

ZenMaster on the forums has it as his avatar and it has driven me insane for months, but I always forget to ask him and I don't have plat. Can anyone identify it by sight?

Shogun

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alright, I got one. Probably the only one that has really bothered me through the years.

It was an arcade platformer. Possibly a Japan-only release. Graphically am I reminded of early 90s arcade games like Spinmaster or Hammerin' Harry. Very colourful, with big sprites and Japanese aesthetics, i.e. characters with exaggerated expressions.

Now, your character was a chef or something. I say chef because I remember you starting next to a comically sized Chinese/Japanese diner. I seem to recall you wearing red, but the stand out characteristic of this dude was his arms; they were situated high on his shoulders, making him neckless. Also, they were stretched out to either side, which struck me as a really odd design at the time. So, he wore red, had a large head with a small body, arms spread out full like a cross.

I don't remember much of the gameplay itself, but during the first stage you came across a gigantic dojo that you had to enter from the top. You then went through different levels to eventually exit from the bottom right.

Any guesses?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Keatonguy posted:

I faintly remember an inline skating game for the Playstation. Really, the only thing I can remember about it is that it was very colorful. It was definitely not Jet Grind Radio or it's sequel, it wasn't cel shaded and it was long before those games were made. To date, I haven't found any trace of this game's existence, though this may just be because I don't know the name.

ESPN Extreme Games maybe? It had a collection of 'extreme' sports and rollerblading was one of them.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Keatonguy posted:

Is X-Bladez Inline Skating colorful enough for you? It's the only PSOne game I can find specifically about inline skating.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Saint Septimus posted:

Zool, maybe.

Jesus christ, thank you so much.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

wb posted:

Shogun

Thanks. I looked everywhere for this. I'm surprised it had such a simple title.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

I used to play this game when I was younger (maybe around 1997-2000 roughly). You played the role of a king, and it was a combination of largely text-based situations such as a usurper to the throne, and real-time battles. I remember there was a papal army, which was rather strong and was yellow/gold in colour. I wish I could remember more, other than that one of the choices for an event was to "grovel".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

Alright, I got one. Probably the only one that has really bothered me through the years.

I couldn't find one with all the playable characters to check for sure but this reminds me of Ninja Kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iq8KeTF_9E

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Harrison posted:

I remember an old game that was installed on my elementary school computers. It was the late 90s but the game seemed older than that. It was on one of the upright single unit macintosh computers with 16 colors. It was educational and you played as a guy who was trying to get around a top-down level full of walls. I think you were able to open paths by solving math problems which involved carrying numbers or +/- symbols to complete partial math equations. I think you either sometimes or always got to ride on a hover scooter or skateboard or something. I remember you could move around pretty fast. I think there was heavy checkerboarding on the floor texture or something which gave me the impression of a huge carpet.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the Math Blaster games. If not, it's the space-themed Super Seekers game.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
There was a game I played with my father when I was a little tike. It was (I think) on the original NES and it was a dungeon crawler. Similar to 'Dungeon Master' except I don't remember there being any sort of inventory or group system or even a UI. Just hallways.

I remember specifically there was no map, so we had to make our own with graph paper. If you wanted to go back to 'town' to rest you had to backtrack your steps through your own map.

I don't think it's Dungeon Master cause I'm almost positive there was no cursor. (I can't remember clearly though cause we played it when I was like 4)

Any ideas?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Passing Feeling posted:

I used to play this game when I was younger (maybe around 1997-2000 roughly). You played the role of a king, and it was a combination of largely text-based situations such as a usurper to the throne, and real-time battles. I remember there was a papal army, which was rather strong and was yellow/gold in colour. I wish I could remember more, other than that one of the choices for an event was to "grovel".

King of Dragon Pass fits the 1999 timeline and text-based situations but no real-time battles.

[quote=]There was a game I played with my father when I was a little tike. It was (I think) on the original NES and it was a dungeon crawler. Similar to 'Dungeon Master' except I don't remember there being any sort of inventory or group system or even a UI. Just hallways.

I remember specifically there was no map, so we had to make our own with graph paper. If you wanted to go back to 'town' to rest you had to backtrack your steps through your own map.

I don't think it's Dungeon Master cause I'm almost positive there was no cursor. (I can't remember clearly though cause we played it when I was like 4)

Any ideas? [/quote]

This could be quite a few RPGs. Most of the NES ones had an inventory screen but it was in text which is probably why you can't remember it.

Pool of Radiance (has a map and inventory screen so probably not)
The Bard's Tale (no map, everything in text)
Might and Magic (map, everything in text)
Tombs & Treasure (graphical, includes top down segments)
Dungeon Magic
Swords and Serpents (this is the closest game to the PC Dungeon Master)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Wise fwom yor gwave!

So this just popped in my head out of nowhere and now it's bugging me.

I really have no idea what the game was for, though I'm leaning towards console, possibly PSX or PS2.

Anyway, the game from what I can remember had an old gloomy feel to it, though I don't know if it was an actual horror game or just a suspense action/adventure game. The player character's look was a cross between The Undertaker and an old west cowboy. It was 3D.

I remember it was a game with screens you traveled between, it wasn't a free roam type thing. You hit the edge of the screen and it loaded the next section. The 2 I can remember is a night time scene on a dusty road, cloudy sky and dark in the distance. The road has a sign post or something in the middle with some sort of light source on it. The next screen over (which I think was to the right or bottom) was a town street of some sort. I don't remember if the town was inhabited at all, though I'm guessing not since I'm not remembering any interactions. I also remember you can poke around in at least one of the buildings.

For some reason Eternal Darkness is popping into my head after typing all that. I know you played different characters throughout history, was there one similar to this? Or is it a completely different game?

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Wise fwom yor gwave!

Altered Beast

Is the real answer Darkwatch?

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.

Orgophlax posted:

Wise fwom yor gwave!

Altered Beast..unless that wasn't one of the games you were trying to figure out.

As for the 3D western game...I'm not sure but would it be Darkwatch for the PS2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xPTKfFtONA

EDIT: beaten to it

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

No, the quote wasn't a question.

It's not Darkwatch. The game I'm remembering wasn't an FPS. When I said 3D I meant your character and scenery was 3D. The camera was a more traditional 2D camera, fixed in place for the particular screen you were on. I also remember green magic.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Orgophlax posted:

No, the quote wasn't a question.

It's not Darkwatch. The game I'm remembering wasn't an FPS. When I said 3D I meant your character and scenery was 3D. The camera was a more traditional 2D camera, fixed in place for the particular screen you were on. I also remember green magic.

Altered Beast?

Or: my initial instinct (based mainly on character description) was Van Helsing, but having looked it up it seems it's certainly not a 2D game. Do you mean 3D models on a 2D plane like Oddworld or New Super Mario Bros, or a full 3D world only controllable in 2D like Pandemonium?

e: I suppose Oddworld wasn't really 3D at all, disregard that bit!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The camera was more like the PSX Final Fantasy games. Locked into position but you could freely move about the screen you were on.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
Is it Alone of the Dark: The New Nightmare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VC6bC1m7b0

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I have a game that has been on my mind for ages. I've asked many, but I got nothing out of em.

It's a game, for the Playstation, where it was a bird's eye view run n' gun. You controlled a space marine kind of fella that apparently had a head of a baby. The game was also co-op, and featured a post-apocalyptic setting. What I also recall is that the gun you use shot out bright yellow spheres like the bullets from the Super Scope in the Smash Bros. games.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Thwack! posted:

I have a game that has been on my mind for ages. I've asked many, but I got nothing out of em.

It's a game, for the Playstation, where it was a bird's eye view run n' gun. You controlled a space marine kind of fella that apparently had a head of a baby. The game was also co-op, and featured a post-apocalyptic setting. What I also recall is that the gun you use shot out bright yellow spheres like the bullets from the Super Scope in the Smash Bros. games.

Expendable, maybe?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
That's the one! Now I can die in peace.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

The camera was more like the PSX Final Fantasy games. Locked into position but you could freely move about the screen you were on.

In that case you probably are thinking of Eternal Darkness like you first guessed. The main characters is a blonde girl, but you play as a whole variety of people from different historical periods, you could be thinking of one of them. And there's red, green and blue magic. Someone on the yube has done a walkthrough of the whole game, see if this jogs your memory: http://www.youtube.com/user/Florsch#grid/user/815CC1FB1A2AC3A6

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dregan posted:

In that case you probably are thinking of Eternal Darkness like you first guessed. The main characters is a blonde girl, but you play as a whole variety of people from different historical periods, you could be thinking of one of them.

Yeah, but Eternal Darkness didn't have a wrestler/cowboy protagonist or a scene where you enter a village after travelling along a road, though, I'm pretty sure.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I doubt anyone will get this, but it's worth a try. Game for the Amiga from the early 90's. Text based adventure with static pictures for each new area. I don't have much to go on because I don't remember progressing more than 3 or 4 screens into the game. It started with you on the bus on Endless Street, where you lived. You had to get off at the right stop because if you missed it or got off somewhere else, you just went up and down the endless street for ever and ever and could never progress any further. If you did get off at the right place, you could go to your house. Shortly after arriving the phone rang and someone screamed down it about "things" attacking her, or trashing her house, or something? It may have been your house that was trashed when you went in, actually. And that's it, all I remember. Anyone got any idea?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

Ansob. posted:

Yeah, but Eternal Darkness didn't have a wrestler/cowboy protagonist or a scene where you enter a village after travelling along a road, though, I'm pretty sure.

Apologies, should have said 'possibly' rather than probably. I was thinking of Edwin Lindsey as the hybrid (mostly misremembered because of the hat and beard tbh). And apparently I totally forgot about the long and winding road. Welp v:shobon:v

On the bright side this is making me want to dig out my copy again, wonder would I get away with bringing the Wii into work..

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dregan posted:

On the bright side this is making me want to dig out my copy again, wonder would I get away with bringing the Wii into work..

Eternal Darkness is one of my favouritest games ever and I still regret selling my copy when I sold my first GameCube, so you should do this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

Wise fwom yor gwave!

So this just popped in my head out of nowhere and now it's bugging me.

I really have no idea what the game was for, though I'm leaning towards console, possibly PSX or PS2.

Anyway, the game from what I can remember had an old gloomy feel to it, though I don't know if it was an actual horror game or just a suspense action/adventure game. The player character's look was a cross between The Undertaker and an old west cowboy. It was 3D.

I remember it was a game with screens you traveled between, it wasn't a free roam type thing. You hit the edge of the screen and it loaded the next section. The 2 I can remember is a night time scene on a dusty road, cloudy sky and dark in the distance. The road has a sign post or something in the middle with some sort of light source on it. The next screen over (which I think was to the right or bottom) was a town street of some sort. I don't remember if the town was inhabited at all, though I'm guessing not since I'm not remembering any interactions. I also remember you can poke around in at least one of the buildings.

For some reason Eternal Darkness is popping into my head after typing all that. I know you played different characters throughout history, was there one similar to this? Or is it a completely different game?

Nocturne?

You're a "cowboy" with night vision goggles, it has that clunky style of play like Eternal Darkness, and had a really advanced lighting system for the time.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
I've been looking for this game again for ages...

It was a free clone of Sopwith Camel for windows, except you could chose from a very wide variety of WWII planes and I think beyond, including weird prototypes. It was for windows and came out sometime around the 2000s I believe, I think it may have been a German made game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

al-azad posted:

Nocturne?

You're a "cowboy" with night vision goggles, it has that clunky style of play like Eternal Darkness, and had a really advanced lighting system for the time.
This screenshot is very similar to what I'm seeing in my head, I just don't ever remember playing this game.

Was there a demo or anything released for it on a cover disk for a magazine?