Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the new Dodge Durango is unwrapped. (probably)3 rows of seats, based on the new Grand Cherokee/Mercedes GL floorplan, Pentastar V6 or 5.7l Hemi with VVT, RWD or AWD.

Click here for the full 808x402 image.

Chrysler has been hitting it out of the park with their new trucks. This really beats the hell out of basically anything on the market right now, since the new Explorer and GM Lambdas are all FWD. 3 row seating with a big pushrod V8 and RWD? Yes please.

quote:

September 2, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -
Buckle in and hold tight. Dodge is jumping back into the sport utility (SUV) segment with the 2011 Dodge Durango, a three-row vehicle spacious enough to carry the entire crew and performance-tuned to thrill anyone who truly loves to drive. Durango will lead the Dodge brand’s new product onslaught for 2011.

From its sleek exterior design to its modern, spacious interior, and intelligent, fuel-efficient and powerful powertrain options, the 2011 Dodge Durango is all-new from the inside out. And the changes are more than skin deep. The Durango’s stiffened unibody structure is engineered with the driving enthusiast in mind. The end result is a vehicle that delivers premium driving performance combined with SUV capability and crossover versatility.

The all-new Durango features two engine options: the standard fuel-efficient 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine and the available 5.7-liter HEMI engine with fuel-saving, Multi-displacement system (MDS) four-cylinder mode. Both engines feature variable-valve timing (VVT) and are available with all-wheel drive. In addition to great efficiency, the engines provide exceptional V-6 and V-8 towing capability with standard trailer sway control (V-8 - 7,400 lbs. and Best-in-class V-6 – 6,200 lbs.). When equipped with the HEMI® V-8, the all-new Durango can tow more weight than a 24-foot boat and trailer.

The Durango’s all-new interior is a surprise owners always deserved but never expected. Created by the same interior design studio that designed the much-lauded interior in the Ram trucks and the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Durango’s luxurious interior materials and thoughtful touches will make owners and their crews want to jump in, hunker down and thoroughly enjoy even the longest drive. Everywhere they touch, Durango passengers will feel materials that are refined and soft to the touch. Not only is it a pleasure to behold, it is extremely functional and gives owners a first-class experience, regardless of the trim level. Durango’s interior is also extremely comfortable for all three rows of passengers, and there’s a surprising amount of interior flexibility. With 22 different seating configurations, there’s plenty of room to store and move plenty of people and their gear.

The all-new 2011 Dodge Durango also offers consumers 45 safety and security features, including standard front seat-mounted side air bags and standard side-curtain air bags that cover passengers in all three rows, as well as all-new standard active head restraints. Electronic Stability Control also is standard. Other available safety and security technologies include Blind-spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path detection, Forward Collision Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control and Keyless Enter-n’ Go.

The best part is, consumers will get all of the all-new Durango’s capability, functionality and flexibility and still get excellent fuel efficiency. In fact, drivers can go more than 500 miles, that’s the distance from San Diego to San Francisco or from Detroit to New York City, without having to stop for fuel.

Built at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, Mich., the new 2011 Dodge Durango arrives in showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

In fact, drivers can go more than 500 miles*

*With the optional 100-gallon fuel tank :haw:

Why don't they stop beating around the bush and just tell people the MPG outright? 500 miles means nothing when you don't know the size of the tank.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

*With the optional 100-gallon fuel tank :haw:

Why don't they stop beating around the bush and just tell people the MPG outright? 500 miles means nothing when you don't know the size of the tank.

No poo poo; we could do Phoenix to LA in our Suburban, generally flogging the hell out of the 350 most of the way, without a single fuel stop. It had nothing to do with the absurdly dismal mileage and everything to do with a 40 gallon tank. I can't do the same in a Camry or my Mazdaspeed3, just because they carry about a third of the fuel.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My Camry has a 17 gallon tank, and I've eked 500 miles out of the thing between road trip fillups. :colbert:

During my last move, was still over 1/2 tank when our big rear end Budget truck had to stop for fuel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

My Camry has a 17 gallon tank, and I've eked 500 miles out of the thing between road trip fillups. :colbert:

During my last move, was still over 1/2 tank when our big rear end Budget truck had to stop for fuel.

It was my mother-in-law's Camry, with a V6, my lead foot, and I'm sure the thing is still rolling on original sparkplugs (and probably still had the original gear oil in the transmission at the time, too).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrKatharsis posted:

35 litres and about 800km with a bit of effort :colbert:

(9.25 gallons and 500 miles if anyone cares)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New SSC to beat Veyron SS:

http://jalopnik.com/5630025/ssc-ultimate-aero-ii-first-photos-of-americas-bugatti-fighter

Wonder how this will progress.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
This is the culmination of the horsepower arms race:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A5H posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5630025/ssc-ultimate-aero-ii-first-photos-of-americas-bugatti-fighter

flaming fireball of death.

My money is on the SSC to hold that title.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

A5H posted:

Oh hey a pagani gallardo 458.

Dog Paddle
May 1, 2007

by Ozma

That grill looks like a Lincoln.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Audi TT RS is inbound by the third quarter of 2011. No pricing info yet; an Audi USA source told me that they're hoping for "significantly under" $70K. My fingers are crossed.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Click here for the full 1280x518 image.

Spartan-V, Australian track special. $80k, Ducati 1198 engine in a 300kg space frame and carbon fiber tub. Atom, X-Bow, Caterham 7, and now this, the bantamweight segment is growing.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2010

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Less than 700 lbs? Would that make it weigh less than the bike the engine came from?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Left Ventricle posted:

Less than 700 lbs? Would that make it weigh less than the bike the engine came from?

That ducati engine is probably around 400 lbs. So ~1300 lbs curb weight (conservative estimate).

Also it looks like a TVR to me. Maybe I've been playing Forza too much...

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

DogDodger posted:

Audi TT RS is inbound by the third quarter of 2011. No pricing info yet; an Audi USA source told me that they're hoping for "significantly under" $70K. My fingers are crossed.

gently caress time for another 5 cyl thread.

A MIRACLE posted:

That ducati engine is probably around 400 lbs. So ~1300 lbs curb weight (conservative estimate).

Everything you know about motorcycles comes from pictures, doesn't it.

Left Ventricle posted:

The 1198 weighs in at 372lbs, the engine is probably ~150. Most FSAE cars weigh in close to 500ish even with a 4cyl bike engine, so this probably uses a similar design.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Also it looks like a TVR to me. Maybe I've been playing Forza too much...

A entire Ducati 1198 weighs less than 400 pounds, how would the engine weigh more than the bike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Muffinpox posted:

Everything you know about motorcycles comes from pictures, doesn't it.

yep

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

bidikyoopi posted:

Click here for the full 1280x518 image.

Spartan-V, Australian track special. $80k, Ducati 1198 engine in a 300kg space frame and carbon fiber tub. Atom, X-Bow, Caterham 7, and now this, the bantamweight segment is growing.

Pretty sure the 300kg includes the engine. This thing weighs barely 3x as much as my old 5.5hp go kart.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There are people that weigh more than that car. Awesome.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bidikyoopi posted:

Australian track special. $80k, Ducati 1198 engine in a 300kg space frame and carbon fiber tub. Atom, X-Bow, Caterham 7, and now this, the bantamweight segment is growing.

It pisses me off how overpriced some of those cars in that segment are. Ariel and Caterham I'm looking at you.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new Dodge Durango is unwrapped. (probably)3 rows of seats, based on the new Grand Cherokee/Mercedes GL floorplan, Pentastar V6 or 5.7l Hemi with VVT, RWD or AWD.

Click here for the full 808x402 image.

Chrysler has been hitting it out of the park with their new trucks. This really beats the hell out of basically anything on the market right now, since the new Explorer and GM Lambdas are all FWD. 3 row seating with a big pushrod V8 and RWD? Yes please.

That looks really good. I liked the looks of the original Durango, and then the second iteration was barf-inducing. I'm not (and probably never will be) in the market for a full-size SUV but if I was, I'd definitely test-drive one of these.

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

Has there been any news about the fiat 500 getting the abarth treatment in the states. I'd guess that's pretty unlikely.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

frozenphil posted:

Looks like we really are getting the new Focus RS.

Looks like I'm delaying my purchase of a new Fiesta. I can't believe Ford might be bringing the RS to the states.

edit

Swordfish posted:

Has there been any news about the fiat 500 getting the abarth treatment in the states. I'd guess that's pretty unlikely.

I think they might if the RS sells. I just watched the Top Gear where Jeremy takes out the Abarth and goddamn does it look awesome.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 16, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You're cross shopping between a fiesta and a focus RS? :crossarms:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Swordfish posted:

They'll be using the 1.4 MultiAir 135HP engine on the 500 Sport or whatever they're going to call it. There will be an equivalent to the base Abarth but it probably won't be Abarth-branded and we almost definitely won't get the EsseEsse.

Sir Tonk, the Focus RS and the Fiat 500 have literally nothing to do with each other and we'll see a 135HP Fiat before the upcoming RS even goes in to series production.

edit: Fiat 500 Sport courtesy of AB http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/chrysler-shows-off-fiat-500-sport-for-north-america/
My main question is about suspension tuning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2010

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

A5H posted:

You're cross shopping between a fiesta and a focus RS? :crossarms:

I don't think he's cross-shopping poo poo. He was going to get a Fiesta, but since there's a chance he can get an RS, he's waiting.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
More upbeat news from Chrysler, apparently they've got a :aaa:9 speed automatic transmission in the pipeline that will come after the 8 speed comes out next year. Considering that they're still putting 4 speeds in Chrysler 300s, it would be a huge technical leap.

The best pic from that post:

Also the Viper's back for 2012.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Throatwarbler posted:

Assuming you can't actually go from 5th to 1st, and with some kind of lockout for reverse, that would be pretty cool. Just kinda roll the shifter around, then up though the center for N.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Throatwarbler posted:

More upbeat news from Chrysler, apparently they've got a :aaa:9 speed automatic transmission in the pipeline that will come after the 8 speed comes out next year. Considering that they're still putting 4 speeds in Chrysler 300s, it would be a huge technical leap.

This is pretty cool. I hadn't heard anything about this, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for them now.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep i can see shifting from 1st to 7th many times before getting used to that.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Delivery McGee posted:

Assuming you can't actually go from 5th to 1st, and with some kind of lockout for reverse, that would be pretty cool. Just kinda roll the shifter around, then up though the center for N.

autophreak posted:

Yep i can see shifting from 1st to 7th many times before getting used to that.

It's an automatic, there would be no direct connection between your hand and the servos/hydraulics that actuate the gear shifts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bidikyoopi posted:

It's an automatic, there would be no direct connection between your hand and the servos/hydraulics that actuate the gear shifts.

It's not real, just a lovely PS someone posted making fun of Chrysler.

Sorry, I got probated before I could make that clear. :sweatdrop:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I got bored and started looking around to see if there was any word for US pricing for the Fiat 500s yet, anyone know anything? I haven't found anything concrete in my five seconds of googling.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New 6 series interior is amazing.
Not very keen on the exterior though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's at least an improvement over the last generation.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a minute here:

"The Dodge Viper hot-rod will be back in 2012. The concept vehicle displayed at the meeting had been painted more than 25 times with a candy-apple red to give it a sleek appeal. The vehicle is more upscale and has moved away from its race car image."

Oh my god. As an autobody painter, my mind is blown with the poor writing.

- Painted more than 25 times to get the color perfect? If so, why bother even mentioning it? Color experimentation is nothing new, though I question why they had to paint an entire vehicle instead of a metal loving panel.
- Painted with over 25 coats of candy coat? If so, how is the paint NOT falling off in huge chunks?

Also, upscale exactly how? The Viper's a loving luxury car now? The Viper's always been about raw uncompromising power and handling. You will be uncomfortable and your rear end will be sore, but you'll have a giant poo poo eating grin on your face anyway.The kind of people that would buy a Viper for daily driving luxury and power for prestige are probably more likely to buy an SLK for the MB brand and image it gives over any Dodge product, much less the Viper. Once you reach the 6 digit car pricing segment, I don't really think it matters if you throw an extra 100k onto the price tag so saying that it's cheaper is still not much of an argument either.

I'm pretty confused about the reasoning behind these things...

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Naky posted:

The Viper's always been about raw uncompromising power and handling.

what?

Naky posted:

You will be uncomfortable and your rear end will be sore.

This market doesn't exist for good reason. Nobody wants to pay that kind of money and get half a car when they can get just as fast of a car that does more.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Morphix posted:

what?

This market doesn't exist for good reason. Nobody wants to pay that kind of money and get half a car when they can get just as fast of a car that does more.

Are you just trolling? Do you even know what a Viper is?

quote:

Once you reach the 6 digit car pricing segment, I don't really think it matters if you throw an extra 100k onto the price tag so saying that it's cheaper is still not much of an argument either.

Which one of the cars you mentioned is a "6 digit car"? Do you realize 100k is 6 digits? What the christ are you babbling about?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

Are you just trolling? Do you even know what a Viper is?

Which one of the cars you mentioned is a "6 digit car"? Do you realize 100k is 6 digits? What the christ are you babbling about?

In Canada, a brand new Viper and the SLK are both six digit cars. What their prices are in the US or whatever I don't know and don't really care because honestly, gently caress US car pricing.