Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It does kinda suck but thems the breaks in computer stuff I guess.

To be honest I'd like to see some kind of rating system, my girlfriend wasted some money buying lovely ports on the device. I guess then every dev would say "works well on all" or something.

Maybe if people just started making their games scalable like low/medium/high settings and the like. Maybe that's a bit too hardcore for iphone game development though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Hamburglar posted:

That's cool then. But how do you explain teacup's experience with Angry Birds and Plants v Zombies? I also meant RAM should be a requirement.

"Incompatible" means "won't run at all." If it runs like poo poo but works, it's technically compatible and that's all they're liable for. This is why you should always do your research before buying a new game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Let me make one thing perfectly clear: the 2nd gen Touch absolutely annihilates the 3G iPhone in doing everything non-phone/camera related.

Never, ever assume that because someone had a bad iPhone gaming experience that you will have the same on your Touch. If you've got a 2nd gen or higher Touch, you're going to be having the best experience possible on all but a few titles.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Crotch Bat posted:

Never, ever assume that because someone had a bad iPhone gaming experience that you will have the same on your Touch.
Good point.

quote:

If you've got a 2nd gen or higher Touch, you're going to be having the best experience possible on all but a few titles.
You're saying there's no noticeable performance increase in a 3G over a 2G?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Good point.

You're saying there's no noticeable performance increase in a 3G over a 2G?

They ran a series of tests way back when the 3rd gen/3GS got released and no, there wasn't much of a difference. It does offer some shader options that make games look a bit better but as far as pure performance, the 2nd gen Touch was right behind the 3rd gen.

I'm also fairly certain(wish I could find those results but this was a year ago) that the 2nd gen outperformed the 3GS iPhone as a gaming device, too.

2nd gen Touch is a beastly little device and outside of a select group of titles, it will run anything and do it smoothly. There's little to nothing in my 16+ months I've run across that just hurts my Touch to run, certainly not Angry Birds or PvZ.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Crotch Bat posted:

They ran a series of tests way back when the 3rd gen/3GS got released and no, there wasn't much of a difference.

What about this? (Not snarky, I have lots of experience with 1G and 3G, but skipped the 2G).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What about this? (Not snarky, I have lots of experience with 1G and 3G, but skipped the 2G).

Of course its going to boot faster and load games faster, that's not really what is at discussion here. Its about game performance.

e: basically there was no real performance boost by the 3rd gen in comparison to the 2nd and only a handful of games that have been released in recent months have been "too much" for the 2nd gen(mostly those shmups from Cave). Point being you can basically put a 3rd gen and 2nd gen together, play the same game and not be able to tell the difference, far different from the results you'd see if you compared those devices to a 1st gen Touch or either of the first 2 gens of phones.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 14, 2010

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Sorry if I misled you there- I was under the impression that 2g touch = 3g Iphone, 3g touch = 3gs iphone, 4=4 phone/touch

If it's a lost faster you might be in luck considering you could get one on the cheap.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

teacup posted:

Sorry if I misled you there- I was under the impression that 2g touch = 3g Iphone, 3g touch = 3gs iphone, 4=4 phone/touch

If it's a lost faster you might be in luck considering you could get one on the cheap.

The 2G touch's processor runs at 533 MHz while the iPhone 3G's runs at 412 MHz. They both have 128 MB of RAM. The 3G touch is identical to the iPhone 3GS in terms of performance, and the 4G touch has the same processor as the iPhone 4 but half the RAM (256 MB vs 512 MB).

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

… 4G touch has the same processor as the iPhone 4 but half the RAM (256 MB vs 512 MB).

I read the the processor used in the iPhone is clocked at 800MHz and the one in the iPad is 1GHz and that the iPod touch has the exact same processor (model number) as the iPad. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

drabk
Aug 15, 2001

This is possibly a foolish question, but the iPT 4th gen is my first ipod - how do you scrub or jump to a certain time within a track in the music player? For example inside a long podcast, I don't want to hold the FF button for forever to get 40 minutes into the podcast.

edit- nevermind, found by googling for different search terms... the answer is 'tap once on the album artwork that has no indication of being a button' :haw:

drabk fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 15, 2010

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

teacup posted:

Hamburglar I have limited experience as I have only seen the 4g Ipod touch (I bought one yesterday), and the 3g (not 3gs) Iphone in action (my partners) BUT

Don't do it. If you really want to get one for on the go gaming, get the new ipod touch or at least a 3gs version. My girlfriend has the 3g iphone and she can't do poo poo on it. A game like plants vs. Zombies literally takes almost a minute to load, and chunks up when too much gets on screen- which is literally every level about 50% of the way through. Some games just flat out don't work properly at all, and it shuts down and freezes during a lot of quite intensive ones. Even farmville is chunky on it since the IOS4 update. It's pathetic.

From someone that had the 2G and 3G, don't get the 2G!

The jump in speed alone for gaming makes it worth it. Games like Rolando had load times cut in half at start up. I'm talking from 50 seconds down to 25. Also, battery life... 3D games eat up this things battey like crazy. Get the latest and greatest and not have to worry about it as much.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

drabk posted:

This is possibly a foolish question, but the iPT 4th gen is my first ipod - how do you scrub or jump to a certain time within a track in the music player? For example inside a long podcast, I don't want to hold the FF button for forever to get 40 minutes into the podcast.

edit- nevermind, found by googling for different search terms... the answer is 'tap once on the album artwork that has no indication of being a button' :haw:

Yeah there are a lot of secret functions they dont bother to tell you about. Double click on the home button when it's locked and you're playing music!

Then press home and lock at the same time while it's not locked!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good and relatively cheap pair of earbuds I can get for my touch? I lost my apple ones and I'm not looking for some in ear poo poo because that stuff frightens me. Something like the stock apple headphones but with better sound quality around 20-30 dollars is what I'm looking for.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

What's a good and relatively cheap pair of earbuds I can get for my touch? I lost my apple ones and I'm not looking for some in ear poo poo because that stuff frightens me. Something like the stock apple headphones but with better sound quality around 20-30 dollars is what I'm looking for.

I had an older version of these that were decent. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-Q22L...84533672&sr=8-1

Generally though, earbuds that dont go in-ear have been awful all around in my experience.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

From someone that had the 2G and 3G, don't get the 2G!

The jump in speed alone for gaming makes it worth it. Games like Rolando had load times cut in half at start up. I'm talking from 50 seconds down to 25. Also, battery life... 3D games eat up this things battey like crazy. Get the latest and greatest and not have to worry about it as much.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably get the 4g then, as I look forward to the retina display (as long as it doesn't make non-retina games look worse the way HDTVs make old games look horrible).

Edit: Why is the 4G iPod Touch only 256MB of RAM and the iPhone 4G has 512? Why would a phone need double the RAM? Makes me nervous to jump on the 4G touch.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ninja Toast! posted:

I had an older version of these that were decent. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-Q22L...84533672&sr=8-1

Generally though, earbuds that dont go in-ear have been awful all around in my experience.
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant earbuds that go in ear, but aren't the total in ear canal buds like shure e2cs or what have you.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I think I understand, but I was saying that most of those kind tend to sound "tinny" and aren't worth not getting the stock ones (which too are tinny) that at least have a mic and controls.

Maybe you're more flexible than I think though, are the ones that go in but not deeply ok? Cause I like these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-Fontopia-Headphones-Black/dp/B000092YQW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284614089&sr=8-16

And I've heard Vmoda brand are good and they go in similarly.

If those go in too far for you though I have no experience with the ones that don't go in aside from pairs that came stock with stuff. :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there a way to scrobble tracks from my ipod touch to last.fm using foobar?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I just bought my housemate's 8Gb iPod Touch (it's my first Apple product in my entire life so far) and despite all my constant scoffing over the last three or four years about how impractical they are, what a status gadget they are, etc., I am very happy to eat my words and admit that I LOVE my Touch. Jesus Christ. This thing does everything I want! I've had it for less than 4 hours and I've already got it reminding me to brush my teeth and take my vitamins daily, and the music player blows all of my other MP3 players out of the water. Surfing the wifi on the couch without my heavy, hot laptop in my lap? YES PLEASE.

This thing is pure sex. My mind is blown. :psyduck:

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
Can someone explain how the multitasking works for iOS 4, on this beautiful new iPod touch 4g?

What's the difference between clicking the home button once and double clicking the home button when I'm using an App or a program like Safari? Just say I'm using Safari, and then I click home once, and then start another App.. is Safari still using RAM? By hitting the home button once, am I effectively "shutting down" an app/program? And by double clicking home, does this keep that program active, allowing me to start another app?

I know there's nothing worse than a newb coming in and asking stupid questions that can probably be searched for, but if you google "ipod tips and tricks" you really get NOTHING useful.

Does someone want to rhyme off a couple of helpful tips real quick in a post?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

No End to Gulps posted:

Can someone explain how the multitasking works for iOS 4, on this beautiful new iPod touch 4g?

What's the difference between clicking the home button once and double clicking the home button when I'm using an App or a program like Safari? Just say I'm using Safari, and then I click home once, and then start another App.. is Safari still using RAM? By hitting the home button once, am I effectively "shutting down" an app/program? And by double clicking home, does this keep that program active, allowing me to start another app?

I know there's nothing worse than a newb coming in and asking stupid questions that can probably be searched for, but if you google "ipod tips and tricks" you really get NOTHING useful.

If an app supports multitasking it will stay resident in RAM after you exit no matter what. The only thing double-tapping does is bring up the task manager so you can kill apps manually.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

No End to Gulps posted:

From my understanding...

The only way that you manually "quit" an app is if you hold down the app icons in the multi-task bar until they jiggle, then hit the minus symbol on the corner. The way the system works is that apps that are compatible with iOS 4.0 at least have "freeze-dry," which just pauses their state until you come back to the app. Certain apps that stream music or voice or download things in the background are allowed to do that when you're in another app. Once the RAM is all taken up, the device ends the furthest back app you were running (and freeze-dries it).

You shouldn't really have to worry at all about multi-tasking, unless you're running radio apps and you want to stop the music. The multi-task bar really mostly serves as a "recently used apps" list. It's definitely handy to have in that regard.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Okay, I'll stop worry about RAM usage and just double tap to bring up the Apps that I want. I guess I was more concerned about Apps using more battery charge then I necessary.

Is it alright if I ask an iTunes question then?

I'm finding that iTunes is surprisingly stupid with getting certain album cover art? I know next to nothing about mp3 ID Tagging or whatever its called .. are there any easy hints on how to select, maybe, multiple songs in my playlist, that will TELL iTunes that its FROM THIS GODDAMN ALBUM, ffs. ?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

No End to Gulps posted:

Okay, I'll stop worry about RAM usage and just double tap to bring up the Apps that I want. I guess I was more concerned about Apps using more battery charge then I necessary.

I'm finding that iTunes is surprisingly stupid with getting certain album cover art? I know next to nothing about mp3 ID Tagging or whatever its called .. are there any easy hints on how to select, maybe, multiple songs in my playlist, that will TELL iTunes that its FROM THIS GODDAMN ALBUM, ffs. ?

If it doesn't get it the problem is it either doesn't have it or it doesn't recognize the album title. Make sure you have the title exactly correct. Worst case, pop open Amazon or Wikipedia, bring up the album and right-click ->Copy Image and then just Shift+click the songs you want and paste the album in that way. Won't take you 10 seconds to do that if it just refuses to find the album art.

If you're especially OCD like me, there's a nifty trick to make sure all your songs have the artwork. Create a smart playlist, select "Has Artwork" as the qualification and then change the setting from true to false and it'll pull up every song that doesn't have artwork.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

No End to Gulps posted:

You said a Gen4? That should be fine, it really does hog more battery than it's worth on a gen3 though. Most stuff doesn't even really "go in the background" as it restarts when you bring it back up anyways, it just sits there eating battery.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

thanks folks!! Yup, it is a 4th gen -- ^ Thanks again!

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Speaking of which, i'm glad to see that a handful of music apps, aside from pandora can now run in the background. Slacker radio, Last FM, and DI, got running in the background while I grind out my character in FF Chaos Rings, or play a texas holdem tourney.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Can anyone recommend a decent dock that will fit the Touch 4G? All I need is a cradle to stick it in to charge/sync. Apple's universal dock thing is crazy expensive for what is basically a piece of weighted plastic with a dock connector passthrough.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Got the cheap Stealth Guard mentioned a few pages ago, and didn't even bother applying it to the iPod because it looked kind of terrible. Are we still waiting for decent cases to be released?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

teacup posted:

In general, I think this is true, although the 2nd gen iPod Touch got a notably faster processor than its iphone counterpart.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I have the first generation ipod touch. I wish I could have the new one. I'm so jealous of all the improvements. I sometimes wish apple had a trade in deal like nintendo does for the old DS models.

Carebear fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 20, 2010

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there a regular iPod thread? I only see another thread for the iPad. I'm just looking for some impressions on the new touch screen Nano.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a regular iPod thread? I only see another thread for the iPad. I'm just looking for some impressions on the new touch screen Nano.

It's in the A/V Arena, for some reason.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks, I just found it and nobody has posted in like 2 weeks. Nobody cares about the classic ipod anymore, not even Apple since they are phasing out the click wheel interface.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Mu Zeta posted:

Thanks, I just found it and nobody has posted in like 2 weeks. Nobody cares about the classic ipod anymore, not even Apple since they are phasing out the click wheel interface.

That's true, but I'd be surprised to see them discontinue the Classic entirely until they can sell a 128GB touch for $300, if even then.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Got the cheap Stealth Guard mentioned a few pages ago, and didn't even bother applying it to the iPod because it looked kind of terrible. Are we still waiting for decent cases to be released?

I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail. Hearing you say this sucks though. what's so bad about it? It sounds pretty "state of the art".. do you think it will leave a residue on the iPod? It's just a piece of re-placeable plastic right? How bad could it be??

I just got this in the mail yesterday

http://www.hardcandycases.com/ - the one with the rugged padded grip

And I slipped it on the touch 4g just like a slipper. It gives it a tiny bit of bulk, so it doesn't feel like such a fragile piece of tech. Highly recommend so far.

Another question though.. can casing harm an iPod or any kind of smart phone type of device? Do these cases allow for proper heat distribution? Will that affect performance/battery life?

No End to Gulps fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 21, 2010

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

No End to Gulps posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail. Hearing you say this sucks though. what's so bad about it? It sounds pretty "state of the art".. do you think it will leave a residue on the iPod? It's just a piece of re-placeable plastic right? How bad could it be??

I just got this in the mail yesterday

http://www.hardcandycases.com/ - the one with the rugged padded grip

And I slipped it on the touch 4g just like a slipper. It gives it a tiny bit of bulk, so it doesn't feel like such a fragile piece of tech. Highly recommend so far.

Another question though.. can casing harm an iPod or any kind of smart phone type of device? Do these cases allow for proper heat distribution? Will that affect performance/battery life?

Are you talking about the street skin? If so, does it slide out easily (as in too easily/accidentally)? How much is a tiny amount of bulk? Does it grip in your hand really well or is it more gel-like?

Thanks in advance!

Fatsquirrel
Apr 10, 2003

Remember, 'evil' spelled bacwards is 'live' and we all want to do that!

Raere posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent dock that will fit the Touch 4G? All I need is a cradle to stick it in to charge/sync. Apple's universal dock thing is crazy expensive for what is basically a piece of weighted plastic with a dock connector passthrough.

I bought this for my older iPod Touch and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U9WU0O/ref=oss_product

I just got the new Touch yesterday and I'm using this cradle right now -- still works perfectly.

It comes with the cradle and a wall outlet so it's really like two chargers in one purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
I'm going to spend six months walking across India and Southeast Asia carrying an iPod Touch. I'd like to shoot photos, video, geotag and upload both, update my blog and generally keep in touch with people while I'm away.

I'm primarily looking for anyone else that has done this or is currently doing this but I'd also appreciate any tips, suggestions, recommended apps or best-practices for using an iPod Touch in this situation. Thanks!

• Locked thread