Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The soldier is the only person you're allowed to talk to at the commie union english teacher internment camp, staging ground for deportations to list 2 countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It looks like a leftover past from a different e-mail because the original quote is: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this IN ENGLISH thank a Soldier (or Marine etc depending on who's t-shirt it's on)."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Miss Fats posted:

It looks like a leftover past from a different e-mail because the original quote is: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this IN ENGLISH thank a Soldier (or Marine etc depending on who's t-shirt it's on)."

If I can read this in English, thank a Chaucer.

After months of reading Fox News Comments, I really wish there was a thread for crazy news site comments. I just don't know how it wouldn't boil down to constant idiocy, though.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

Burrito posted:

After months of reading Fox News Comments, I really wish there was a thread for crazy news site comments. I just don't know how it wouldn't boil down to constant idiocy, though.

That's pretty much what this thread is, right? I say go for it. I love laughing at idiots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iLurk posted:

I got this at work. I made the person apoligize for fowarding it to me.

Some people actually believe in that and think it is a a great idea.

Wrap your head around that one. There are people who want that speech to happen. :psyduck:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Burrito posted:

You could try the Free Republic thread over in LF. The old one was pretty much the only good thread there before LF got quarantined.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wouldn't mind it as long as we keep in mind the general level of craziness and stupidity for a web comment (re: pretty fuckin' high) and look for the real gems.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Batshit stupid 'policy' email posted:

You creeps have tens of thousands of unpaid tickets.

I've heard a lot of arguments calling for the UN to be dismantled, but the parking ticket angle is a new one to me.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I still don't get why people want to dismantle NAFTA in the US. It has been a massive boon to both our and Canada's economy, while just essentially raping Mexico's agricultural industry. Canada is great! Why are they on list 2 :smith:?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

I still don't get why people want to dismantle NAFTA in the US.

New World Order.

No, really. Ask someone that's really far-right why they are against NAFTA or the UN and I guarantee you the conversation will steer towards conspiracy theory bullshit about the NWO.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Blarghalt posted:

New World Order.

No, really. Ask someone that's really far-right why they are against NAFTA or the UN and I guarantee you the conversation will steer towards conspiracy theory bullshit about the NWO.

I don't even understand that, because it would be our world order! We would control everything! It would be paradise on earth (for Americans)!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

the yellow dart posted:

I don't even understand that, because it would be our world order! We would control everything! It would be paradise on earth (for Americans)!

Well no one claimed logic was a strong suit of far right conspiracy nuts.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if these are old news. I just got these at work, I share them here without additional comment:

quote:

Subject: Was George Bush really an idiot?
Bush bashers won't like reading this.

If George W. Bush had doubled the national debt, in one year, (which took more than two hundred years to accumulate), would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt AGAIN within 10 years, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had criticized a State law that he admitted he never even read, (Arizonas’ Immigation Law), would you think that he is just an ignorant hot head? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush joined the country of Mexico, and sued a State in the United States (Arizona) to force that State to continue to allow illegal immigration, would you question his patriotism and wonder who's side he was on? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had put 87,000 workers out of work by arbitrarily placing a moratorium on offshore oil drilling on companies that have one of the best safety records of any industry because one company had an accident would you have agreed? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a TelePrompTer installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes? That’s what Obama has done!

If George W. Bush had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take his wife to a play in NYC, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had reduced the retirement plan of GM employees by 90% and gave the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly narcissistic and tacky? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had stated that there were 57 States in theUnited States, would you have said that he is clueless. That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush would have flown all the way to Denmark to make a five minute speech about how the Olympics would benefit him walking out his front door in Texas, would you have thought he was a self important, conceited, egotistical jerk. That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on Earth Day, would you have concluded he's a hypocrite? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had created the position of 32 Czars who report directly to him, bypassing the House and Senate on much of what is happening in America, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved? That’s what Obama did!

So, tell me again, what is it about Obama that makes him so ‘brilliant and impressive’? Can't think of anything? He's done all this in 21 months -- so you'll have little over two years to come up with an answer.

Every statement in this email is factual and directly attributable to Barrack Hussein Obama. Every bumble is a matter of record and completely verifiable.

...and there was also this:

quote:

The Time Has Indeed Come!

Governors of 35 states have already filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

An idea whose time has come!

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest was to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform ... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law.

I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

A Constitutional Convention - this is a good way to do that. It is an idea whose time has come. And, with the advent of modern communication, the process can be moved along with incredible speed. There is talk out there that the "government" doesn't care what the people think. That is irrelevant. It is incumbent on the population to address elected officials to the wrongs afflicted against the populace...you and me. Think about this...
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971...before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.

I'm asking each addressee to forward this Email to a minimum of twenty people on their Address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

You are one of my 20+.
Please, Keep it going.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

quote:

That's what Obama did!

After a while I just started hearing "No springs! whoo-whoo!" in my head.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Emphasis mine.

I replied to her with this

I received that today too from my Grandpa. My response was this (I replied to all): "However, this article misses one heavy point, which is why I avoid these emotionally charged political e-mails: we've flocked to accuse the Muslims and marginalized them to the title of a "great evil" because of a terrorist attack, stemming from a media witch hunt to blame foreign looking for people to blame for America's problems. Yes, Saudis who happened to be Muslims DID bomb the WTC. But when did we pat down whites and look shifty eyed at them after Timothy McVeigh and Oklahoma? We should bring those to blame for terrorism to justice, but when we concentrate on religion instead of the fact a mental illness exists, we put ourselves in danger of ignoring the signs that another attack may take place."

My aunts and uncles were pretty peeved by that response "THERE IS AN OUTCRY AGAINST CHRISTIANS DURR", but Gramps had enough logic to get my point and at least mostly agree.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

Canada is great! Why are they on list 2 :smith:?

For not participating in the Iraq war. Canada did participate in the Afghan war though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

When driving to, from, and through Frankenmuth, Michigan, I'm always intrigued with the many small simple crosses in the front yards of the homes we pass by.

Those crosses are a statement of support for Frankenmuth's Christian foundation.

Two years ago an atheist living there complained about two crosses on a bridge in town. He requested that they be removed, and the town removed them.

He then decided that, since he was so successful with that, the city shield should also be changed since it had on it, along with other symbols, a heart with a cross inside signifying the city's Lutheran beginnings.

At that point, the residents decided they had had enough. Hundreds of residents made their opinions known by placing small crosses in their front yards.

Seeing this quiet but powerful statement from the community, the man removed his complaint. Those simple crosses remain in those front yards today.

After passing those crosses for two years, it finally hit me that a small cross in millions of front yards across our country could provide a powerful and inspiring message for all Americans passing them every day.

I think it might be time to take this idea across America. We have an administration that says "we are not a Christian nation", and everywhere you look, the ACLU and others are trying to remove from our history and current lives any reference to God, prayer, or the fact that our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles.

Our administration can't bring themselves to talk about "radical Muslims or Islamic terrorists" for fear of offending them, but they can talk about Americans "clinging to their guns and their religion", or insinuate that our own military troops coming home from service overseas might turn into terrorists.

The majority of Americans are Christians; why are we letting this happen to us?

IT'S TIME TO STAND UP AND MAKE A STATEMENT, A SMALL, QUIET BUT POWERFUL STATEMENT.

IF YOU AGREE, PLACE A SMALL WHITE CROSS IN YOUR FRONT YARD OR GARDEN FOR ALL TO SEE THAT THEY ARE NOT ALONE.

I wanna set fire to every one of those loving crosses.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

If someone doesn't have a front yard to display their cross do they have to move to a country on the second list?

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

TheSpookyDanger posted:

If someone doesn't have a front yard to display their cross do they have to move to a country on the second list?

I answer that by saying, 'darn tootin.'

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

I like how no one wants to think that a person in the American military might come home and be a terrorist when the perpetrator of the most deadly act of terrorism on American soil previous to 9/11, Timothy McVeigh, was exactly that.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

the yellow dart posted:

I like how no one wants to think that a person in the American military might come home and be a terrorist when the perpetrator of the most deadly act of terrorism on American soil previous to 9/11, Timothy McVeigh, was exactly that.

Uh lots of people are thinking about it, and the possibility was a huge story last year. Where have you been?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/14/homeland-security-report_n_186834.html

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Uh lots of people are thinking about it, and the possibility was a huge story last year. Where have you been?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/14/homeland-security-report_n_186834.html

Sorry, I meant conservatives specifically when they got in an uproar about DHS saying veterans might be radicalized, despite the fact that there is evidence for it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

iLurk posted:

I got this at work. I made the person apoligize for fowarding it to me.

Article posted:

A special note to
our neighbors: Canada is on List 2. Since we are likely to be seeing a lot more
of each other, you folks might want to try not pissing us off for a change.

So how is Canada pissing off right-minded Americans these days?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Universal health care, doesn't blow all its income on the military?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Anosmoman posted:

By being Canada.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Didn't the US right freak out after Zapatero took Spain out of Iraq? And yet their on list one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Anosmoman posted:

[/quote]

Probably by not having a massive depression because they aren't in thrall to oligarchs like we are.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wanna set fire to every one of those loving crosses.

Frankenmuth is extremely conservative, so it's no surprise. However, don't let that stop you from going there. It's got the only year round Christmas store, tons of great food, and a great shopping district. Every time I'm in Michigan I love going there.

However, if you're not of Bavarian descent/weren't part of the founding families of the city, you're not welcome to live there. Just saying.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry if these are old news. I just got these at work, I share them here without additional comment:
Wait--didn't Bush deplete the Clinton-era surplus then run us into a huge deficit? :psyduck:

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Childlike Empress posted:

Wait--didn't Bush deplete the Clinton-era surplus then run us into a huge deficit? :psyduck:

You don't understand surpluses, deficits, and debts.

A surplus is when we're projected to take in more money than we spend.
A deficit is when we're projected to spend more money than we take in.
A debt is how much money you owe.

Think of it like this:

If I get paid $1000 per week, but I spend only $800 a week, I am running a surplus. That means I have an extra $200 a week to put towards my $5000 credit card debt.

If I get paid $1000 per week but I spend $1200 a week I am running a deficit, that means I am probably adding $200 a week to my $5000 credit card debt.

Clinton balanced the budget and brought us a budget surplus. We should have taken in more money than we spent which meant we could have started putting that money towards sustaining Social Security or paying down the National Debt.

Bush started spending more and ran us into a budget deficit which added to the debt and left no money over for anything else.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Ah, my fault for confusing terms. Thanks for explanation.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I know how stupid this is going to sound, but what's the point of national debt? I know we owe our asses to China, but what does that entail? What happens when we're indebted to another country? What forces do they exert on us because of it? I hear about all this debt and it's never going to get better and etc etc.

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

I know how stupid this is going to sound, but what's the point of national debt? I know we owe our asses to China, but what does that entail? What happens when we're indebted to another country? What forces do they exert on us because of it? I hear about all this debt and it's never going to get better and etc etc.

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm dredging up memories from classes long past. Basically the government allows people to invest in it through the buying of bonds. When a person or country buys a bond they are giving money to the US and are entitled to a certain pay out after a certain amount of time elapses. Once that time elapses they are allowed to collect the money they are owed or hold onto the bond and allow interest to pile up before claiming their money. If we can't pay back the money we owe nobody will buy anymore bonds from us, creditors will no longer loan money to us, and the value the dollar will plummet because investing in us will no longer be viewed as a safe bet financially.

Please rip me to shreds if I'm wrong, since I'd rather be corrected than allow what I learned from a football coach turned economics teacher to color what I know about stuff.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So we go broke eventually? Makes sense to me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
More likely we would print money to pay the debt if necessary, and the value of our money would drop due more to dilution than a loss of faith in repayment. (Not all that different, really.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Doomclown posted:

More likely we would print money to pay the debt if necessary, and the value of our money would drop due more to dilution than a loss of faith in repayment. (Not all that different, really.)

Incidentally, this "print our way out of debt" was tried before, and we know how that worked out...

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Clearly the solution is to go back to the gold standard!

:downs:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So we go broke eventually? Makes sense to me.

Kinda.

A country can really only go broke if nobody wants to buy their debt. A rather large amount of the national debt is actually held by the government (The so-called raiding of the Social Security Bank) and the return on US Government Bonds right now is stupid low, which means that it's in high demand.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jabor posted:

Incidentally, this "print our way out of debt" was tried before, and we know how that worked out...
Yeah, I don't know how likely it is that we'd be in such terrible shape as to cause inflation quite that high, but I guess that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The national debt is the total of all bond payments to be made on all outstanding bonds. The government sells bonds to leverage it's considerable cashflow and get money now so that we can do stuff that will better the economy, improve people's live, cover ourselves in martial valor, or whatever the hell it is we want to do with it. The idea is that the value of doing something now is worth the extra paid later on down the line, and we actually borrow money at an extremely cheap rate. In building something like a much needed freeway the economy might be improved enough that the borrowing pays for its self. Any company worth a drat operates on the same principal.

Defaulting on the debt would simply mean not paying out some portion of matured bonds. The biggest consequence would be people not trusting the US to pay as much as they did and requiring a better payout before they start buying its debt again. Well OK, there would be some major economic efects as well, but it's not like the Chinese get to move into the Whitehouse or somethnig.