Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. George Kaplan, watch Amadeus. I can't speak for the play, but the film is awesome.

Finally (and I mean finally) watched The Rules of the Game. It's no Grand Illusion, but I can appreciate its biting critique of an abominable society perfumed in etiquette and "class." The characters were pretty much universally despicable. Wonderfully constructed.

My updated list:
Fanny and Alexander — Determined to watch more Bergman, I've come to this lofty masterpiece. There are probably other Bergman films I'd enjoy more, but I kind of want to see this one the most.

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Passion of Joan of Arc — Gotta get some silent lovin' on my list. I think I skipped this film when I was in college.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

Predator — Someone in the Predators thread told me I needed to see the original in order to truly understand how bad the most recent one is. Is this the one where Arnold tells people to get to the chopper?

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Tokyo StoryGood Morning was all right, but I don't think it went anywhere interesting. Ozu is shaping up to be another great director I'll never understand; hopefully this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker; The Rules of the Game

Still watching Berlin Alexanderplatz. My friend is out of town so the conclusion will have to wait another week or so...

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming you get Fanny and Alexander it's great. How much of Berlin Alexanderplatz do you have left?

Pursued is a really good movie. The concept is great, the performances are solid and it's pretty fun to watch. It's lacking something I can't put my finger on, something that keeps from being a film that wows me. I think it's the awkward use of flashbacks, but on the whole I still really liked it.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Stroszek Been a while since I've seen some Herzog, I think this is the most well regarded of the ones I haven't seen.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Brink of Life Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet a month ago I realized I haven't seen a film of his in over a year. I still haven't done anything about it so maybe this thread can help.

Kanal I've seen one Wajda film, Ashes and Diamonds, and thought it was great. Then nothing for like 3 years and I don't really have a reason why.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

What's the right version to watch again?

I can't remember what episode I'm on. More than halfway through... it takes very long when you have to coordinate viewings with someone else.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

What's the right version to watch again?

The long one, the miniseries.

I don't think I could coordinate with someone to watch a miniseries like that. It'd drive me crazy.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The long one, the miniseries.

I don't think I could coordinate with someone to watch a miniseries like that. It'd drive me crazy.

I'd never finish it if I didn't have someone else to be accountable for.

We assumed we'd have more time and be able to finish a long time ago....

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 14, 2010

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Dune was ... interesting. I never read the book, and had some difficulty understanding what was going on at the begginning, but I started getting interested after Paul and Jessica crash landed on Arrakis. Makes me want to read the book and see what may have been cut out/changed.

My List:
1 - M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

2 - Double Indemnity

3 - Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

Dune
4 - The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

5 - Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

6 - Amadeus

7 Samurai
7 - Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

8 - Singin' in the Rain - Heard it was the best musical ever

9- Ed Wood

10- 12 Angry Men

Peaceful Anarchy, Never saw any on your list, but Max Von Sydow was in Dune, which I just saw, and he was great in the Seventh Seal. And he was also in Pelle the Conqueror I understand, so you get that.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
The Rules of the Game - Really glad this was recommended, it's fantastic. There's something quite enthralling in the way Renoir weaves satire, melodrama and comedy together to create characters and a narrative that seem to fit perfectly. Nothing's ever overbearing or on-the-nose, and the characters are all vibrant and the intrigue surrounding their relationships is immensely satisfying to watch for some reason. Also, it has Jean Renoir in a bear suit, which is a brilliant thing.

Dmitri Russkie - You heard right about Singin' in the Rain. Go watch it.

Le List:
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've been moving slowly through 1970s American cinema over the past few years, and this remains an egregious omission on my behalf. A friend keeps recommending it to me, but I never get around to it.

2. A Fistful of Dollars - Brick, Yojimbo and Miller's Crossing are all favourites of mine, and another film adapted from that source material (by way of adapting from Yojimbo) seems like something I should be seeing.

3. Sunrise - Everyone around me who knows film has been praising this since I can remember. Plus, it's up there on the They Shoot Pictures list.

4. The Apartment - My Billy Wilder viewing extends to the brilliant Double Indemnity...and that's it. Makes no sense that I'm not seeing his films.

5. Sunset Boulevard - See above.

6. Raising Arizona - Currently the only Coen brothers film I have not yet seen. I am in love with those two, so this is unforgivable.

7. It's A Wonderful Life - Outside of One Flew Over, this is the highest film in the IMDB Top 250 that I haven't seen. Plus, I think James Stewart's amazing.

8. The Housemaid - I'm a massive fan of South Korean cinema, and the remake of this 1960s melodrama is probably one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year. That the film isn't available on DVD in New Zealand (to my knowledge) is probably the biggest thing standing in the way of my seeing it.

9. An Actor's Revenge - I'm going through that East Asian cinema phase every film student worth their salt goes through, and I've seen nothing by Kon Ichikawa, which is outrageous.

10. The Hidden Fortress - Arguably one of Kurosawa's most influential works, and it remains unseen by me.

What I've watched so far:
The Rules of the Game (4.5/5)

Pigeon Shamus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 14, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Pigeon Shamus posted:

4. The Apartment - My Billy Wilder viewing extends to the brilliant Double Indemnity...and that's it. Makes no sense that I'm not seeing his films.

Wilder is awesome; for the sake of my namesake, see this!

Empire of Passion was gorgeous and spellbinding. The story surprised me only because I've seen it done so many times before-- a Postman Rings Twice with ghosts sort of deal-- but here it's done with so much color and creepiness that it sneaks up on you. Oshima really gets a lot of mileage out of equating sexuality and violence, as well, and some of the sex scenes in this movie are creepier than I ever dared imagine.

I'm going to dig into the supplements in a bit, but here's my updated list anyway.

Sheldrake posted:

1. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

2. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

3. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

4. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

5. Applause - I have my 'to watch' list, and this is the oldest title on there. I love Rouben Mamoulian, and I should finally be getting a copy soon.

6. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting. AND IT'S MOTM!

7. Blood Orgy of the She Devils - It, uh, sounds interesting. And, come on, where else in this thread are you going to be able to make someone watch a movie with this ludicrous of a title?

8. The Last Laugh - It's on a lot of great movies lists, and I like Murnau from what I've seen. I don't have a copy, but I can track one down if need be.

9. Design for Living - Lubitsch! I guess I'm afraid I'll run out of his movies to watch at some point, and I've been wanting to see this for ages.

10. Voyage of the Rock Aliens - Yes, I will give you another chance to make me watch a (possibly) terrible Pia Zadora film. I'm just that nice.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10, Cornered - 8/10, The Gypsy Moths - 6/10, Empire of Passion - 8/10

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The French Connection ruled in all kinds of ways. I always like these kinds of complex crime films where you're not quite sure what's going on, but it doesn't really matter, and then later you go back and kind of piece it together. It's disorienting in a way that puts you in the shoes of the pursuers and then exciting when it finally builds up and you start to get a hold on what's happening and who's who. There are so many incredibly memorable moments that I don't think I could list them all, though besides, obviously, the car chase segment I'd have to say that the scene where they take apart the car is incredible. The suspension keeps mounting and mounting and then...on that note, the beginning of the rooftop-sniper segment (which leads into the car/train chase) is pretty shocking. It's also a little weird to think that when this came out, if you lived in New York you could see this in the afternoon then amble on down to Broadway to catch one of two of the greatest musicals ever produced. I kept thinking about that for some reason. Whenever a film features a lot of on-location shooting those kinds of things occur to me.

Sheldrake posted:

6. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting. AND IT'S MOTM!

And that's why I'm picking this one!

수치!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Where The Wild Things Are - I was so unbelievably excited about this when the ads started rolling out, and then...I didn't see it. I don't know why. It looks good and Spike Jonze is a pretty excellent director.

4) Les Enfants Du Paradis - Hello, TSPDT #29! This is long and old and French. I'll probably love it!

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Ordet - I'll play your games, TSPDT. This actually looks kind of interesting, like a Bergman film almost (and it probably is, I still haven't worked my way through a good deal of his work). I've only seen one other Dreyer, Vampyr, which in fact I own and desperately need to see again.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

STANDBY: Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Das Boot

Watch list!

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection (total: 17)

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching The Graduate. So many more things make sense now. Like several episodes of The Simpsons and those scenes in Wayne's World. I thought it was a really great film though with an almost unnerving ending. According to some imdb trivia, the director hadn't intended on having the characters look as they did towards the end but he kept it in the final film because he thought it was better than his intended plan on having them just laughing. The look on Elaine's face almost makes it all seem a waste. It really felt like she was thinking of the future and whether she'd made the right decision. One thing that did bother me was how they ended up in love so fast. One minute he's banging her mum and the next minute he wants to marry her daughter.

Magic Hate Ball go and watch The Leopard.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

Heat - Pretty amazed I haven't seen this.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I think I vaguely know the story. It seems everyone else was made to read this in school apart from me.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest The Graduate

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

mikewozere posted:

It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

Yes. Yes you do. See this, you won't regret it.

Finally got to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and once again loved the Newman/Redford/Hill team. The final shootout is terrific and sad and funny, and the dialogue throughout the whole movie has this wonderful breezy feel to it. "Who ARE those guys?"

Updated list:

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this. Have it recorded.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
meanmikhail you shall watch The Apartment for I too love Billy Wilder.

Blazing Saddles, I thought was just OK. I didn't like Young Frankenstein much either so I guess I just don't like Brooks. I did appreciate the pioneering racial humor and the constant breaking of the fourth wall, though.

My list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. The Best Years of Our Lives - this seems like an unusually dark film for its time period, so that interests me
8. Days of Heaven - Badlands is one of my favorite movies. Why not?
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You get Days of Heaven

My list:

Goodfellas - Not sure why I haven't seen this yet.

King of Comedy - Don't hear much about this but the premise seems interesting.

Paprika - Seems like a fun starting point for Kon.

Dog Day Afternoon - Got the dvd for cheap a long time ago, never got around to it.

Bringing out the Dead - Nicholas Cage and Scorsese, seems like a crazy combination.

The Wrestler - Just never got around to it.

Synedoche New York - Adaptation is one of my favorite movies, this seems a bit intimidating though.

Rashomon - Seems like a fun starting point for Kurosawa.

The Aviator - I enjoyed The Departed and Shutter Island quite a bit, keep forgetting about this one.

Chinatown - all I know about this is "It's Chinatown!"

Mr. Unlucky fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Chinatown - all I know about this is "It's Chinatown!"

That exclamation point at the end makes it sound like there's a musical number involved.*

* - other hits from Chinatown include "Oil Makes the World Go Around," "Oh No My Nose," and a rather disturbing retelling of the Oedpius story accompanied by a chorus of tiny children singing "I'm A Little Teapot."

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I was going to post later but, Mr. Unlucky, dammit, go watch Goodfellas. Are you kidding me?

Bonnie and Clyde was awesome; I wish I'd been around when it was first made, because it must've been something completely different and unexpected. The violence looks far too realistic to be something that came from a time when Warren Beatty was that young, and the action scenes are really good looking (great Blu Ray). I'd like to thank this thread.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3. Bullitt- Honestly, the only reason I've avoided watching this is because I'm not a big Mustang fan...

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

6. To Be Or Not To Be- Highest on the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list that I haven't seen AND is on Netflix.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

NEW 8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Brian, you have an interesting list there, but I'm going to pick Bullitt for you so you can witness the greatest parrallel park ever captured on film.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a mixed bag. It ranges from a visually inventive exploration of the fears we hold in our youth, particular an irrational distrust of our parents, to poorly performed and exploitative shlock. The be honest, it didn't sit well with me and I really hated the ending too.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind

Any Werner Herzog apart from Bad Lieutenant.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Rio Bravo I've never really been a fan of Joh Wayne, but I've always wanted to see this one.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ProfessorClumsy posted:

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

For what its worth, I'd probably start with Badlands. If nothing else, it is shorter, and if you end up really not liking Malick, might as well not subject yourself to 3 hours of him.

Also, I'm happy to announce I should get to What Time Is It There this weekend. I'll be back home in Los Angeles, fiance will be on her Bachelorette, and just me and my dog can get down to my assigned movie, a long overdue rewatch of Morvern Callar, and maybe squeeze in In the Bedroom off my list as well (already snuck in The Sweet Hereafter from my list earlier).

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Arturo Ui posted:

Blazing Saddles, I thought was just OK. I didn't like Young Frankenstein much either so I guess I just don't like Brooks. I did appreciate the pioneering racial humor and the constant breaking of the fourth wall, though.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you disliked about the films? I know Brooks isn't for everyone, but it's comedy. Is it too slapstick? Too ridiculous? The jokes too ribald? I'm genuinely curious as to what turns people off Brooks films.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you disliked about the films? I know Brooks isn't for everyone, but it's comedy. Is it too slapstick? Too ridiculous? The jokes too ribald? I'm genuinely curious as to what turns people off Brooks films.

Though this isn't directed at me, I've never been a huge Mel Brooks fan either. I tried getting into Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs, and while I find them mildly amusing, they never strike me as hilarious or rewatchable. I'd rather rewatch The Jerk or some Monty Python.

As it is comedy, and it is so subjective, I guess all I can say is the jokes in his movies are too obvious and/or unoriginal. Pizza the Hut? FrankenSHTEEN? Farting around the campfire? No thanks.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I don't think it's too slapstick; in fact, one of my biggest laugh-out-loud moments was when Mongo punches out the horse. I think it's more that Brooks tries to pack in too many jokes into his scenes, and probably over half of them fall flat for me. I'd rather see a movie with more quality over quantity. There were also long stretches of the movie where I didn't find anything funny at all (mostly the scenes with Madeleine Kahn...it seemed like her scenes were trying to parody something but I don't know what). Gene Wilder also seemed underutilized, as his character was mostly one joke that wasn't all that funny anyway.

I also agree with the guy above me that a lot of jokes were obvious in that I was saying the punchline to myself before it actually happened, but this might be more due to the huge influence the movie has had over the years.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Arturo Ui posted:

(mostly the scenes with Madeleine Kahn...it seemed like her scenes were trying to parody something but I don't know what).

Marlene Dietrich.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Just watched episode one of Fanny and Alexander. It's pretty different than most of the Bergman I've seen, but his fingerprints are pretty obvious. I'm interested to see how it progresses, though I can't say I'm really attracted to any of the characters.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

ProfessorClumsy, you should watch Friday the 13th. It's actually a fun and interesting horror movie.

I finally saw Bridge on the River Kwai and I liked it, though it did drag on in parts for me. I appreciate the detail in Lean's scenes, and William Holden plays William Holden really well! I didn't realize the "Madness!" quote came from this movie, and I had already seen the ending sequence in film school (minus the "Madness!") as an example of excellent sound design to heighten tension. It was hard to get into, because the cause Guiness was fighting for seemed so absurd, but the fact Holden mentions it later in the film as a sign of "Madness!" highlighted the absurdity of trying to participate in a fair and honest war.

I also watched a handful of films on my shame list, while waiting for Bridge on the River Kwai to come in from Netflix:

Flesh+Blood - it's hard for me to figure out if I liked the film or not. It's essentially a rape fantasy gone awesome = dude nails a virgin who falls for him, he gets to rule a castle with his minions and he escapes in the end without catching the plague. It was bloody, sexual, graphic and hard to watch, which I guess I expected from Verhoeven. I still have RoboCop on blu-ray to watch in my stack.

Shaft - I didn't expect the across-the-board racism, but I liked his one-liners and his random sex scenes with the ladies. It was an entertaining film, and such a time capsule of New York. I also have Dolemite to watch in my stack.

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Moon - I have been trying to avoid getting spoiled on the plot twists, and I adore Sam Rockwell.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's 3+ hours long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft

Still to watch: RoboCop, Dolemite, Once Upon A Time In The West

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

VorpalBunny posted:

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's 3+ hours long.

To be fair, you really only know the first, because the movie is only about 2:40. Still long, but not as long.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

To be fair, you really only know the first, because the movie is only about 2:40. Still long, but not as long.

Fair enough, but I have been told it feels like a very long movie which is why I assumed it was 3+ hours. Considering I just finished KWAI at 2:47, I think I can handle a 2:40 film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

VorpalBunny posted:

1) Casablanca

Lots of good stuff on your list, but this is the best.

Rules of the Game - I wish I had a little more cultural context, but it still works as a general satire of the landed class. I'm looking forward to seeing more by Renoir.

The revised list:

Lawrence of Arabia - I don't typically like period epics, and this is the one most people think of when you say "period epic."

The Searchers - I kind of lumped this in with classic westerns, which I tend to dislike for the most part. That's also why I haven't seen High Noon. I do like a lot of revisionist Westerns, so I should probably watch more of the all-time greats.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Have caught most of it on TV at various points, so it's low on the priority list

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Same as To Kill
The Rules of the Game - May as well start at the top of the TSPDT 1000.
Tokyo Story - Next on the list.

Bonnie and Clyde - No reason, really. I've heard its reputation is greater its actual quality, so it didn't seem pressing.

Mean Streets - I'm pretty much working through Scorsese in reverse chronological order, and this is his last "great" movie I've yet to watch

Bicycle Thieves - For whatever reason, I've never seen any Italian neo-realist movies. I guess Fellini just filled my Italian movie quota.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Heard conflicting things about it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 17, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Arturo Ui posted:

Gene Wilder also seemed underutilized, as his character was mostly one joke that wasn't all that funny anyway.

He was a late replacement for Gig Young who had to be replaced due to alcohol withdrawal.

My favorite has always been History of the World: Part I.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

morestuff posted:

Mean Streets - I'm pretty much working through Scorsese in reverse chronological order, and this is his last "great" movie I've yet to watch

Haven't seen anything on your list so I picked this completely randomly. Yay!

Citizen Kane was of course nearly flawless, the only flaw possibly being that the story wasn't as strong as the technical aspects of the movie. At some points I was thinking more about what the camera was doing more than the dialogue, which has never happened before. The story was still very interesting, with Welles playing both a young, brash Kane and the old, crazy egomaniac perfectly. There is something about Welles' voice that just hypnotizes me. If he had made a movie of him just sitting in a chair, reading a dictionary out loud I would probably watch it.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Atheistdeals.com, go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's a movie I can watch over and over again and always find something new. I hope you love it as much as I did.

I just finished Casablanca on blu-ray and it was gorgeous, entertaining, moving and just as good as I was told it would be. I once took a class taught by Leonard Maltin, and when asked what his favorite movie was he replied "Casablanca" without hesitation. He called it a perfect movie, and I have to agree with him. The cinematography is gorgeous, with Bergman's eyes constantly on the verge of tears, or with that lone teardrop falling down her left cheek. We only ever see her happy in Paris with Sam and Rick. The characters are all well-developed and engaging, the dialogue is snappy and fun (even if I've heard half of it quoted out of context before) and that ending. What an ending! "Round up the usual suspects." I am so glad I finally saw this movie.

My (still) shameful list:

1) A Serious Man - it's the only movie nominated for Best Picture from last year that I didn't see. I have an Academy screener of it sitting next to my TV, I just heard it was long and really depressing.

2) Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I really know nothing about this film, except it stars Bogie, and I have seen too little of his work.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Moon - I have been trying to avoid getting spoiled on the plot twists, and I adore Sam Rockwell.

10) There Will Be Blood - All I know is "I drink your milkshake!" and it's long.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver, Vertigo, City of God, Fistful of Dollars, Bridge on the River Kwai, Flesh+Blood, Shaft, Casablanca

Still to watch: RoboCop, Dolemite, Once Upon A Time In The West

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 16, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

A Serious Man is an hour and 46 mins.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The Lucas posted:

A Serious Man is an hour and 46 mins.

Yeah, I know. I have the screener. I was told it was long, as in it feels like 3 hours. I was also told it's very "Jew-y", not that it matters.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It is incredibly Jewy but it's not long or depressing.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Halfway through F & A and I think it's official: I like Bergman.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Haven't seen Motorcycle Diaries but am interested in it. Any good?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Cjones posted:

Haven't seen Motorcycle Diaries but am interested in it. Any good?

Perhaps you could make an entire list and someone will tell you to watch it and then you'd find out. The OP explains it all...

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've wanted to do this thread for a while, hoping I'm following the OP so... I guess I am on VorpalBunny. I didn't really like a Serious Man and Modern Times is amazing, so you may have that.

And for my list:

1.) Seventh Seal - Never seen Bergmen. This is supposed to be a good one to start on.

2.) Stalker - Okay maybe this one isnt' that long. But I still preceive it as being ridiculously long.

3.) Pyscho - I've only seen North by NorthWest and Vertigo. They were both amazing and I need to see more Hitchcock.

4.) Lawarence of Arabia - I have no idea how/why I have not seen this yet.

5.) Once Upon a Time in the West - I like westerns, just haven't seen this one.

6.) Chinatown - Nicholson is cool. I like Noir a bit, but I really like variations on Noir, so I'll probably like this a lot.

7.) Ragin Bull - As far as I'm concerned Rocky is the only boxing movie ever made, so I've never even given this a chance. (But I did watch Million Dollar baby.)

8.) Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck is my favorite author, and I've puprosefully avoided any movies from his books lest they taint his image.

9.) Come and See - I watched the first half and it was quite horrifying, not sure if I really should finish it or not.

10.) And the most shameful movie on my list, Casablanca - Yeah...

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

2.) Stalker - This movie is so long you could probably unravel the reel around the world at least twice. I want to see it, but... eww.

It's not even 3 hours. LoA and OUaTitW are both longer.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

10.) And the most shameful movie on my list, Casablanca - Yeah...

You get to watch Casablanca. Enjoy.

Andrei Rublev - Could have been shorter. I've got nothing against longer and/or slower films, but this one managed to grate on me just a bit. And this is coming from someone who loved Tarkovsky's Solaris. That said, it was certainly beautiful and decently thought provoking. It's one I wouldn't mind revisiting in the future, but it may be a while before I get back to it.

I also managed to watch The Seventh Seal a couple days earlier, so I swapped that one on the list for another Bergman.

Updated list:

L'Age D'Or - I've seen quite a bit of Bunuel, but not this. Caught Un Chien Andalou on Netflix Instant the other day and enjoyed it so this made the list.

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

Wild Strawberries - I need more Bergman in my life.

Breathless - I should probably see some Godard at some point .

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

Stagecoach - Been digging Westerns lately and the new Criterion release has this one fresh in my mind.

Finally Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Ben Hur, Taxi Driver, Andrei Rublev

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Dog Day Afternoon was fantastic; I loved Al Pacino's performance, especially the two conversations on the phone with his wives. I was also really surprised by how maturely transgenderism was handled in a movie made in the 70s.

FancyMike, go see Breathless.

My updated list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get Badlands, one of my favorite movies.

I'm coming late to the party but here's my list:

1) Bonnie and Clyde- one of the last new Hollywood films I've yet to see
2) Alien- no excuse because I've seen the rest
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Blade Runner- once again no excuse
6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) Seven Samurai- it's the length that always holds me back
8) Lawrence of Arabia- see above
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) The Searchers- never seen a John Ford western

Thanks.