Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Looking for any and all quality music from Italia whether it is in English or Italian or no vocals at all. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Redkist posted:

Looking for any and all quality music from Italia whether it is in English or Italian or no vocals at all. Thanks!

If you like progressive rock, try Premiata Forneria Marconi. Their early to mid-'70s stuff is the best, and I particularly recommend L'Isola Di Niente.

In a similar vein but more recent are Deus ex Machina. I've only heard their album Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, but I think it's pretty fantastic. I think they sing in a mixture of Italian and Latin.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Redkist posted:

La Quiete is an Italian screamo band and they loving own.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Thanks for the suggestions, I have been listened to all of them on youtube today, although Deus Ex Machina is difficult to find because there seems to be 2 more popular bands from Singapore and Greece with the same name :/

Let me make a new, separate, but similar request. I'm looking for Italian music with no vocals at all, whether it be instrumental rock/metal, trip-hop, orchestral, whatever. Thanks!

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Check out Ennio Morricone for Italian film music.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

I'm looking for something simple yet chaotic, mostly along the lines of this: http://www.myspace.com/pivixki

Preferably an artist with some easily accessible stuff, where I don't need to import it from a foreign country for a lot of money. Thanks in advance.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Urban Wizard posted:

I'm actually posting for a specific request this time! I recently discovered the song Bird's Eye which is a collaboration by Serj Tankian and Mike Patton, and something about this song really catches me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG92w4_aAZM

Does anyone know of any songs similar to this one? I don't really care about the vocals (if there are any) being similar to theirs in this song, but I like how the background combines strings with drums and has a vaguely Arabic?/Armenian?/Something sound to it. Any ideas?

Anyone? I guess what I'm looking for is Arabian-sounding strings, or something like that. It can have vocals or not, I just need suggestions of places to start. The beat is a bit more African, so a fusion of the two would also be really nice.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm looking for some beats. Not techno, more like crunchy electronica. Think something around Peaches, Daft Punk, NIN, Gorillaz, with a bit of Kele thrown in. Can anyone help?

This is hard since all the artists you listed are nothing alike, but, Plump DJ's, Mint Royale, Breakbot, Digitalism, Mr. Oizo, Evil Nine.

Redkist posted:

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but Mike Patton released his album Mondo Cane that was a bunch of covers of Italian film songs, also seconding Ennio Morricone.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's some really good, relaxing hip-hop? Slower stuff with awesome beats.

Like Jay Electronica, Madvillain, some of J Dilla's stuff.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

I'm looking for some hip-hop in a similar vain to Aesop Rock, Saul Williams and Sage Francis. Any recommendations would be muchly appreciated, thanks!

If you haven't heard of Non-Prophets, it was a duo that Sage Francis did with a guy named Joe Beats. They had one album, Hope, and it's loving amazing.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Way different than my last request, but I'm looking for something along the lines of DDAA or Renaldo & The Loaf. It can be free form/jam poo poo like DDAA or weird tape experiments like Renaldo & the Loaf.

something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3MbVoLYns

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX3bmTjDG8

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm looking for some beats. Not techno, more like crunchy electronica. Think something around Peaches, Daft Punk, NIN, Gorillaz, with a bit of Kele thrown in. Can anyone help?

You might like this album, I'm still obsessed with the instrumental NIN album and was thinking this was sorta similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65deATBoSFw
(please make sure you listen in high quality)

Achozen posted:

I'm looking for something simple yet chaotic, mostly along the lines of this: http://www.myspace.com/pivixki

Preferably an artist with some easily accessible stuff, where I don't need to import it from a foreign country for a lot of money. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYVYNj8dYc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6o4vq2ldU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWiO5SFoh8g

similar composition principals to PIVIXKI can be found in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iD_LQiv9wE

The Consultant fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 19, 2010

Handsomeharald
May 7, 2009
I'm looking for some relaxing, melodic instrumental stuff. Preferably with an acoustic guitar or piano. Vocals are ok too, as long as they're non-english, like Sigur Ros.

Thanks.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Anyone have any suggestions for bands that sound like the kind of music that Stewart Copeland makes, or The Police's early albums? Basically, music that is backed by complex yet extremely catchy syncopated rhythms.

Really, anything that sounds exactly like Stewart Copeland is perfect.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What volume is the best Desert Session album?

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I'm looking for some recommendations in the field of doom/stoner metal, particularly like Electric Wizard. I bought the latest Bongripper album and loved it, if that helps at all.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Just in case you haven't noticed, there's a stoner/sludge/doom thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512135

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

rargphlam posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations in the field of doom/stoner metal, particularly like Electric Wizard. I bought the latest Bongripper album and loved it, if that helps at all.

EDIT:
whoops, just realized this isn't the punk thread...

The Body, Bongzilla, Sourvein, Weedeater, Buzzov*en, Sleep, Bad Dream, Deadmeadows, Acid King, etc

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 21, 2010

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What volume is the best Desert Session album?

Not really a fan of the early ones, 9 is really good if just for the song with PJ Harvey.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Elder posted:

I really like the vibraphone, but I don't have any music that features it. Any suggestions? I like a little of pretty much every genre, but I'm not looking for solo vibraphone stuff (unless it's mindblowingly awesome or something!), thanks.
I know I'm late on this, but check out Walt Dickerson for some amazing vibraphone playing. He's seldom anything short of fantastic.

You might also like Khan Jamal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHegNm1ffCE

Steve Nelson's a little more traditional, but really great too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_dSZkz_GB4

Chaos Theory
Jan 18, 2010
Looking for some good punk/hardcore. I'm trying to find something like the Dead Kennedys or Jawbreaker on Unfun. I also liked End of a Year's latest release and a lot of Dropkick Murphy's stuff (just not looking for folk-punk at the moment).

Anyone got any ideas?
I'd imagine I'm not really out there musically.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I have a different kind of request. I'm not looking for a band or song or anything, but I don't think this warrants its own thread. So instead, I'm looking for a recommendation on how to keep track of my favorite bands.

When Ping came out for iTunes, it sounded like an interesting way to keep up with my favorite bands, but it just seems like another Facebook/MySpace type of thing that's only good for fandom. I don't care to see daily photos from the tour, and I don't care what the drummer has to say about Bangkok.

I just want a simple way to know when the bands I listen to are gonna release a new album, and when they'll be on tour near my area. Some bands that I follow religiously, like Metallica, that isn't really necissary. I've got a psychic-type thing going where, when they say they're coming to Tampa yet, I'll loving know it. (Or, it's just easier to follow them because I'm that big of a fan.)

But a lot of bands I don't follow that closely, or I'm not as familiar with, or I just started listening to, or are much smaller acts that can be hard to follow. I don't want to add Company of Thieves and Protest the Hero and so on to my Facebook.. and even if I did, I barely use it anyways.

I'd just like a website (or two) that I can go to, create a profile, and give a list of bands that I want to follow. Then it can say "Band A is releasing an album on this date, Band F is coming near you on this date" and so on. If I have to use one site for albums and another for tours, that's fine. I've done some searching of a site for the latter, but I'm not sure which is the best to use.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Revol posted:

I have a different kind of request. I'm not looking for a band or song or anything, but I don't think this warrants its own thread. So instead, I'm looking for a recommendation on how to keep track of my favorite bands.

When Ping came out for iTunes, it sounded like an interesting way to keep up with my favorite bands, but it just seems like another Facebook/MySpace type of thing that's only good for fandom. I don't care to see daily photos from the tour, and I don't care what the drummer has to say about Bangkok.

I just want a simple way to know when the bands I listen to are gonna release a new album, and when they'll be on tour near my area. Some bands that I follow religiously, like Metallica, that isn't really necissary. I've got a psychic-type thing going where, when they say they're coming to Tampa yet, I'll loving know it. (Or, it's just easier to follow them because I'm that big of a fan.)

But a lot of bands I don't follow that closely, or I'm not as familiar with, or I just started listening to, or are much smaller acts that can be hard to follow. I don't want to add Company of Thieves and Protest the Hero and so on to my Facebook.. and even if I did, I barely use it anyways.

I'd just like a website (or two) that I can go to, create a profile, and give a list of bands that I want to follow. Then it can say "Band A is releasing an album on this date, Band F is coming near you on this date" and so on. If I have to use one site for albums and another for tours, that's fine. I've done some searching of a site for the latter, but I'm not sure which is the best to use.

Last.FM does tours quite well, although it will be some extra effort to add in all your artists.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

PoisonedV posted:

Last.FM does tours quite well, although it will be some extra effort to add in all your artists.

Really? Doesn't last.fm just kinda suck all of your play histories into it's brain and after loading, it immediately knows who your most played/etc are?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

KY Labia Majoris posted:

Really? Doesn't last.fm just kinda suck all of your play histories into it's brain and after loading, it immediately knows who your most played/etc are?

Well, I guess it depends on what you use. I use foobar which doesn't keep a running history, whereas iTunes does actually have its own history, although actually getting those stats off an iPod is poor as it only keeps them for one week.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

swampland posted:

Hey, not exactly what I was looking for yeah, but it's still awesome finding new bands anyway, sounds good. I only had really heard "Where Eagles Dare" by the Misfits, looks like it's worth digging a bit deeper into this guy's catalogue.

I'm a huge King Crimson fan, good call recommending Elephant Talk, Discipline would definately be my favourite album by them.

If you're a King Crimson fan, you might appreciate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cdykchyoy0

Some Wovenhand. They also have more standard stuff (and, in fact, a version of that song that plays through less post/proggy).

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

Chaos Theory posted:

Looking for some good punk/hardcore. I'm trying to find something like the Dead Kennedys or Jawbreaker on Unfun. I also liked End of a Year's latest release and a lot of Dropkick Murphy's stuff (just not looking for folk-punk at the moment).

Anyone got any ideas?
I'd imagine I'm not really out there musically.
Check out the Feederz.

Get their classic, Ever Feel Like Killing Your Boss?. Pretty sure you can download it for free on their website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps38sclBtdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Mh5SUupnA

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for really minimal music. Electronic or instrumental or, well, maybe vocal, but I can't imagine it. I love the Boards of Canada, and any atmospheric music- I know there's a lot of it- would be good, but good bedtime sounds would be terrific. :)

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

aude omnia posted:

I'm looking for really minimal music. Electronic or instrumental or, well, maybe vocal, but I can't imagine it. I love the Boards of Canada, and any atmospheric music- I know there's a lot of it- would be good, but good bedtime sounds would be terrific. :)

This is pretty much all I listen to now (well, ambient music, but that seems to be kinda what you're going for)! I'm not into the instrumental side (alot of Krautrock is really minimal, hypnotic, chillout stuff though) much but I do listen to alot of the electronic. Freescha is really good, there is obviously Brian Eno, Circular (a bit experimental, though), Aphex Twin's SAW albums too, and maybe early Luke Vibert/ Wagon Christ. (I guess this may be obvious but I don't know how into this stuff you are)

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I'm searching for some new music, and I need some help navigating the jungle of genres. I like melodic music with a focus on instruments rather than vocals, unless the vocals are really good or are used in an instrument-like way (death/black metal). Most instrumental music I find though is either pretty boring or repetitive, so I listen to mostly death metal (:sweden:). Though I'd like some calmer music to listen to sometimes.

I'll give some examples of what I like. This is pretty much my favorite piece of music ever:
Bach, "Little" Fugue (G minor, BWV 578)

Recently I've been listening to the albums Firestorm by Tvangeste and All Shall Fall by Immortal, and am looking closer at the black metal genre.
Tvangeste - Under the Black Raven's Wings

While I like metal I listen pretty much exclusively to european metal for some reason. There's something about most american metal I can't stand.

I'm looking for tips of genres of music to explore. Though if someone can analyze my tastes enough to recommend a band it wouldn't hurt ofcourse.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 24, 2010

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

aude omnia posted:

Here's a wide range of minimalist stuff I highly suggest. Not all of it is sleepy Boards of Canada, electronic type stuff...

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Arvo Pärt - Für Alina
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
Philip Glass - Solo Piano
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
Boris - Flood
Glenn Branca - The World Upside Down
La Monte Young - A Well Tuned Piano

... but if that's the kind of stuff you want just invest some time into Brian Eno. There are actually 4 albums that are part of the Ambient series, three of them he plays on, the other one he only produced.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is pretty much my favorite band right now:
New Radicals

Can goons recommend me similar bands with intelligent lyrics,perferably those that include social commentary.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
I'm in love with Propagandhi's latest album Supporting Caste, and I'm looking for more bands with a similar "progressive punk" style. (Not sure if that is the right term for this type of music, so feel free to correct me!)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Eh, just call it Punk. It might be slightly more technical, but it's still Punk. Anyway... try A Wilhelm Scream, Strung Out, No Trigger, and Strike Anywhere. If you pop into the Punk thread here, I'm sure some dudes there will be able to give you a much more comprehensive list.

Lacuna
Nov 19, 2005

Holding out for a hero.
I am in love with Florence and the Machine right now and was wondering if anyone knew of any bands/artists with a similar sound.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Lacuna posted:

I am in love with Florence and the Machine right now and was wondering if anyone knew of any bands/artists with a similar sound.

Marina and the Diamonds.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

after hearing this in the favela on blast trailer, I just google searched who it was, and came up with this link:

http://soundcloud.com/dj_woody/dj-woody-explosion

turns out the guy posted it on this here site to download. I recommend it to anyone who likes baile funk

edit: welp, read the OP. this works anyway, because I need some more baile funk. anybody got any?

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 27, 2010

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Goons!

Taking base in BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix with MYLO (10-04-2005), I'm on the lookout for something similiar. Although it's age, this mix surprised me, it's very neat and very groovy.

Can anyone point me in a direction of same consistency?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

aude omnia posted:

http://www.bluemars.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm on the hunt for a few more deep cuts to round out this album. I'm looking for some catchy adult contemporary lite-rock hits from the late 80s early 90s.

Stuff like:

Go West - "King of Wishful Thinking"
Maxi Priest - "Close to You"

Basically those tracks that weren't HUGE, but you go "Oh yeahhh, I remember that song" when you hear it, and the refrain still gets stuck in your head for a few hours.