Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

Ride a proper cafe racer. Or age a bit, you'll start to understand. :v:

I'm in my mid to late 30's and I've done 600 miles on my YFZ-R6 in one day without needing a hospital stay. I actually prefer the sport bike crouch now. My standard bike with normal bars feels funny albeit it took like 2,000 miles for me to learn to love the aggressive riding position and clip-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

I'm in my mid to late 30's and I've done 600 miles on my YFZ-R6 in one day without needing a hospital stay. I actually prefer the sport bike crouch now. My standard bike with normal bars feels funny albeit it took like 2,000 miles for me to learn to love the aggressive riding position and clip-ons.

It just fits for some people. My friend did 800 miles in a day on an RC51. I can't ride most ducatis without instant wrist and back pain. The older R6s were ok, but the newer ones are definitely more track focused. I can't live with anything but upright for street use anymore, not just because of the more comfortable position but also because of better visibility.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I usually have a fully loaded commuting backpack (laptop, camera, etc) on when I ride my TL1000S; that really ups the wrist pain quotient. I find that the wind at 70mph+ offsets the weight noticeably.

The 2 miles between the freeway and home are the most tiring part of the ride.

Forking a bit: a coworker of mine is both the best and worst dad ever. He rides an ex-police BMW R1150RTP (which is awesome) and a Bandit 1200S (which is terrifying). When his son (21) expressed interest in riding, dad picked him up a used Bandit 1200 off Craigslist :doh:. He seems to think this is perfectly reasonable as long as the kid is careful.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AnnoyBot posted:

When his son (21) expressed interest in riding, dad picked him up a used Bandit 1200 off Craigslist :doh:. He seems to think this is perfectly reasonable as long as the kid is careful.
Oh dear. I've had months of rider training to get my license and my Bandit 600 definitely has plenty of power for me to royally screw up if I get stupid, plus it's not exactly the lightest bike in the world. I can't even imagine riding a 1200 at my current level :psyduck:

Related: It's my bike

1996 Bandit 600, ~27000km.

Not shown is the carbon Arrow slip-on which amazingly passed inspection with flying colors. It's not stupid loud like the straight pipes a friend has on his Ducati, but still quite a bit louder than stock. Also makes the bike run a bit lean, which I'll be remedying this weekend.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My perception must be completely hosed, a bandit 1200 is just not terrifying. Not a first bike, sure. But power corrupts absolutely...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

My perception must be completely hosed, a bandit 1200 is just not terrifying. Not a first bike, sure. But power corrupts absolutely...

They're <$500 worth of jet-kit and slip-on away from being wheelie hungry monsters though. It is stupidly easy to get stupid power out of that motor and they're quite short for what they are.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

The problem with a B12 for a newbie rider is that it pulls like a freight train. When you get get 80 foot pounds of torque at 2.5k, that's a recipe for disaster for a newb rider with no throttle control. Hell, I looked at a B12 that has 500 miles on it by the first owner and had already been dropped twice, he was a newb too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No sirs, I agree a beginner should have nothing to do with one. I simply mean, once you've flogged something like a S1000RR, what you consider a fast bike is completely warped. Motorcycles are crazy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

The problem with a B12 for a newbie rider is that it pulls like a freight train. When you get get 80 foot pounds of torque at 2.5k, that's a recipe for disaster for a newb rider with no throttle control. Hell, I looked at a B12 that has 500 miles on it by the first owner and had already been dropped twice, he was a newb too.

Considering I think my 600 pulls like a mofo, the 1200 utterly scares me.

Then again, I'm new to this whole thing, I've got years and years ahead of me to make me jaded about power levels ;)

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
OK- the B1200s wasn't actually terrifying. poo poo, I ride a TL, also known as the Widowmaker. But it pulled like a goddamn freight train from idle and I didn't come anywhere near upper RPMs. I just felt like throwing in a little hyperbole.

Back to content:

My R100GS, after a bath:

My dad's Norton 850 in close up (speaking of freight trains...):

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AnnoyBot posted:

My dad has one of these, except it's in pieces right now, and he laughed when I offered to take it off his hands and put it together. :argh:

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
2001 KLR650 picked up for $1200 with 1200mi. The original owner parked it in his yard after a few months, where it stagnated until I grabbed it and started getting things back in shape... now has SW Motech bars and the other standard KLR nonsense.

1971 Honda CL350? Something like that. $700, original, will get some carb attention when time permits.

AnnoyBot posted:

Slim Pickens posted:

My dad has one of these, except it's in pieces right now, and he laughed when I offered to take it off his hands and put it together. :argh:
Norton Commando Dad crew! My dad picked up a mismatched basketcase, had every component disassembled within two nights, and worked 14-hour days until it reemerged from the shop as a proper 1974 Commando Interstate. I believe the one he is doing now is a 1971 Commando Roadster, then a CBX or something similarly silly. Apparently KZ1s are too reliable. He does everything but the chroming himself, so retirement hasn't been too slow.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

OneOverZero posted:

1971 Honda CL350? Something like that. $700, original, will get some carb attention when time permits.

Jesus, that thing is beautiful. :fap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OneOverZero posted:

Holy gently caress I've wanted one of those as an around town beater/loaner for years. That's a gorgeous example.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

OneOverZero posted:

2001 KLR650 picked up for $1200

1971 Honda CL350? Something like that. $700

Are you trapped in a time warp? Quick, check and see if gas is $1.25 a gallon where you are. Let me know, I'll be there in 5 minutes with $2500 for that Commmando.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneOverZero posted:

Wanna ride that thing to Tofino and get run over in the parking lot of Tuff Beans

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

OneOverZero posted:

2001 KLR650 picked up for $1200 with 1200mi. The original owner parked it in his yard after a few months, where it stagnated until I grabbed it and started getting things back in shape... now has SW Motech bars and the other standard KLR nonsense.

That's a drat steal. I paid 2x that for the same bike (year and color!) with a little over 2000 miles on it last year.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OneOverZero posted:

Norton Commando Dad crew!

Whoa, that thing turned out beautiful! I think that's my dad's retirement plan, too. He has around 15 bikes sitting in his pole barn, only 5 fully running.

The best retirement plan, if you ask me.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Just picked up my 04 GSXR 750 yesterday.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

second best sponge posted:

Just picked up my 04 GSXR 750 yesterday.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

How do you plan to transport it from the underwater city of Atlantis?

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
Picked this up yesterday.

1985 Suzuki GS700e

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Such a handsome bike. Looks like it's in pretty good condition, too.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

School commuter. I should really take the ASV Sticker off since I don't actually use ASV levers. Most of the time I feel like I am the only XR650 rider/owner out there.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Chill_Bebop posted:

School commuter. I should really take the ASV Sticker off since I don't actually use ASV levers. Most of the time I feel like I am the only XR650 rider/owner out there.

Thats a really good looking bike.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Picked this up last night, huge difference from my ninja 250!

It's a little rashed but it's only cosmetic damage.

07 GSXR 600, love it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How much did you end up paying for it? Looks good!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill_Bebop posted:

Love it.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Z3n posted:

How much did you end up paying for it? Looks good!

Dropped the guy down to $4300. Still haven't hit the powerband on it but it's nuts compared to my ninja.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Cabledude posted:

Picked this up last night, huge difference from my ninja 250!

It's a little rashed but it's only cosmetic damage.

07 GSXR 600, love it!

That's a really awesome color combo. Awesome buy.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
This thread is fantastic. I have a toddler - almost two - and at least twice a week he puts his hand on my computer and says "motorcycle," which is my cue to load this thread and look at bikes with him. He's learning colors based on paint schemes.

Motorcycle is the most complicated word he can say.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!

Ace944 posted:

Picked this up yesterday.

1985 Suzuki GS700e

'Sup 198x Suzuki GS buddy! I picked this up a couple of weeks ago:

1983 GS750E. Gread mechanical condition, rebuilt faring, pretty good cosmetic condition for a 27 year old bike. Gone around the Vancouver area and to Vanouver Island so far. FUN.

Edit: Red and white bikes are sexy. :canada:

Good Ship Theseus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 16, 2010

varl
Feb 11, 2007
. . .

Last ride of the season for me, around 09 in the morning, sun is on its way up and very foggy for the entire 150 km ride. And cold (~5 degrees Celsius).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That is a top photo mate, love it.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
Any chance of a high rez version of that?

varl
Feb 11, 2007
. . .

Blinken posted:

Any chance of a high rez version of that?

I have a high resolution image, but it's taken with my phone so it's not very sharp. You can grab it from twitpic.

e: Thanks, I like the shot too. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I cropped it to 1920 x 1080 and sharpened it for ya.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Ugh that picture is gorgeous.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh
speed four

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

1986 Suzuki Intruder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I've been riding a VZ800 cruiser for 2 and a half years and lately I've had a sportbike itch, so I threw the car alarm tester up on Craigslist with a "will entertain trades" note. A couple of days later a guy who works at the local Honda dealer texts me and asks if I'm interested in a 2000 R6. Apparently he was getting too many tickets and really wanted a cruiser. Just got it home, gonna take some better non-phone pics tomorrow:

He put on a 2-position lowering link, so I'll be raising it back to its appropriate height. The red windscreen is a little :doh: but I'm really happy with this trade. The ride home was a blast.