Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

If it's a "real" show, you'll have enough lighting that you won't need a flash. I'd use the 70-200 and maybe a monopod. Shoot the models as they come down the runway, not when they pose at the end. Thats about it. It's not really hard, once you get the settings figured out it's all exactly the same.

If it is too dark, you'll have to use a flash and wait till they come down the runway, but if you can avoid flash at all, that's best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Monopod! Great idea.

I'm off, will post pictures later.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunkman posted:

100mm Macro too in case the 24-70 isn't long enough?

Wow! Look at the stitching on that dress!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Ugh. I didn't know what I was getting in to. It was in a "burlesque themed club." With only LED lights, and half of them were red, and the other half were white.

Also the catwalk was perpendicular to the crowd, and there was no platform for photographers. I hope that none of the models were wearing shoes, because I definitely wouldn't have been able to tell.

Here's a preview of one of the better shots.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I feel your pain. I've shot in plenty of clubs like that. Looks like you probably should have taken that monopod, put your camera on it, hoisted it up and taken a few Hail Mary shots.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Penpal posted:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I read your lighting blog a bunch, too! I usually click on it every couple of days but you don't update very often. I think one of the reasons why I feel that way is because I'm very saturated with photographers my age who are doing the "million strobes" thing to make a photo more dynamic, when you can achieve dynamism other ways. I'm thinking of band photos, portraits, that sort of thing... sometimes with HDR or high-pass cranked way up. With rim lights so hot it's like there are three suns pointed at the person, whether or not they're in a car park, in a forest, or any other setting.

I didn't really say that "only one light looks good", but I should clarify my ignorant opinion a bit: I haven't seen many photos that use more than one flash in a forest setting while maintaining a naturalistic look. Not that there aren't any good ones, I just haven't seen many. Any links and lighting tutorials would be awesome.

Check the strobist blog. He does a lot of stuff with 2 lights that looks pretty natural, though I do agree that often times it's harder to get something natural looking with 2+ lights. I think people love to use a multitude of lights because it sets them apart from amateur photogs that exclusively use available light or worse- pop-up flash.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 17, 2010

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, the strobist blog is one that I know I should make daily checkups on but never do. Also that sucks about the fashion show, I haven't been to one (locally) that was either too dark, or lit horribly (giant deep yellow and red lights). Seems like if you frame it tighter you can get a 'swarm of adoring people' type of photo. I would bump the exposure and cut the fat on the left.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Have rented an 130cm Octabox for the weekend for £10, I have two shoots to do - poets and wrestlers, in that order. Never used an Octabox before. I just set it up now and I like :) :) :) :)

Will throw up some results on here next week when all is done.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

AtomicManiac posted:

...amateur photogs that exclusively use available light...

<:mad:>

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

McMadCow posted:

Except your results are way better than plenty of professionals, and almost all of the strobist advocates I've seen (I'm kind of one of them).

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Gazmachine posted:

That first picture is unfeasibly cute. Not only that, but you've brought some interest and character out in a child portrait, which so many people never, ever, ever do, because all they need is one fairly well exposed snap on their kid and 99% of parents will be happy with it. You've actually bothered to go further than that and make it interesting to people who aren't the child's parents. Post is lovely, too - is there a spot of yellow split toning going on?

Arinel posted:

I really love these, and I thought they were yours before I saw your name. I think the 2nd one is the best, and the dark greens really frame the child. The 3rd one is just adorable.

Penpal posted:

this would be an excellent triptych to hang in a home if the last picture was vertical as well. They're really good mono photos.

Thanks guys. Yes there is a little bit of yellow there. I think kids are like cartoon characters and I try to capture them that way. I just want to capture a bit of personality and something unique about anyone I shoot.

AtomicManiac posted:

I think people love to use a multitude of lights because it sets them apart from amateur photogs that exclusively use available light or worse- pop-up flash.

So only an amateur photographer would exclusively use available light?

McMadCow posted:

Amateur.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 17, 2010

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

AtomicManiac posted:

... or worse- pop-up flash.

Honestly I think sometimes one can use pop up flash and it makes things look nice. But you have to know what you're doing. But I wouldn't say that it's always bad. (Not that that's what you said, I'm just sayin'.)

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

McMadCow posted:

Don't you know that photogs should only use artificial light? CHRIST.

Order your Profoto Artificial Sun now!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

properly planned natural light is the best.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've definitely come full circle. I used to be afraid of lights, shooting au naturale, then picked up some lights and used them more and more to the point where they were almost a crutch, and now I'm back to trying to use as much natural light as possible when it makes sense. A reflector is a wonderful tool!

e: This is obviously a ridiculously stupid generalization but I think you know what I mean.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I've definitely come full circle. I used to be afraid of lights, shooting au naturale, then picked up some lights and used them more and more to the point where they were almost a crutch, and now I'm back to trying to use as much natural light as possible when it makes sense. A reflector is a wonderful tool!

e: This is obviously a ridiculously stupid generalization but I think you know what I mean.

I absolutely agree with you. I assist some ridiculously good photographers who almost exclusively use natural light (Hell I know more than they do about strobes) and because they are able to pick and choose when and where they shoot they can produce spectacular results.

So I've gone from natural -> strobist -> studio -> natural again.

For example this cover was shot on a shoot I was assisting on - all natural light, no reflector even.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Yea, I didn't mean the available light thing as an insult. There's a pretty big difference between the people that just take pictures with whatever light is around without thinking about it and the people that know about lighting and position their models and/or scout spots that use the available light to their advantage.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 17, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

AtomicManiac posted:

Yea, I didn't mean the available light thing as an insult. There's a pretty big difference between the people that just take pictures with whatever light is around without thinking about it and the people that know about lighting and position their models and/or scout spots that use the available light to their advantage.

Quick, back peddle your way out and completely contradict what you said!

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

My shoot are all tomorrow but I thought I'd better get some practice in with the Octabox. Soon found that it's too fooking large for my front room - ceilings are too low. I've got a real range of stuff to capture tomorrow for various reasons, so I'm hoping to milk as much potential out of the thing as possible.

Seeing as my pops was visiting today, I thought I'd nab him for a practice session. Any regular Octaboxers got advice / little tricks / nuggets of knowledge to pass on to me? How are these looking?

First I tried camera right, fairly level with subject:

dad1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Then I tried it farther behind the subject's face, camera right:

Dad2 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Then I went with a more direct setup, above subject but not dramatically so and slightly to right, but only really so I could fit in the gap:

dad3 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Messed with the post in various ways, too, as you can see.

Anything glaringly wrong that I'm not spotting off the bat? Anything you spot would be most appreciated, or at least it will be if it reaches me before my shoots tomorrow!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A reflector would go a long way on these. Still I like them and your pops is a good model 8)

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Sure - I think for tomorrow's stuff I might take a smaller softbox to act as fill light, as (a) I'll be doing a variety of shots, many of them full body or 3/4 and (b) I doubt anyone will be available to hold poo poo for me. Thanks for the feedback :) and oh my god I love Octaboxes.

Pipe Merchant
Apr 5, 2009
I haven't had much direction in my photography before, but recently I've discovered that I really enjoy taking portraits! I think I have a lot of work ahead of me though...

20100731-DSC_0296.jpg by Pipe Merchant, on Flickr

20100731-DSC_0281.jpg by Pipe Merchant, on Flickr

20100801-DSC_0368.jpg by Pipe Merchant, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Pipe Merchant posted:

I haven't had much direction in my photography before, but recently I've discovered that I really enjoy taking portraits! I think I have a lot of work ahead of me though...

20100801-DSC_0368.jpg by Pipe Merchant, on Flickr

This is nice, interesting composition.

p.s. - I like wrestling and I don't care if you know.

Dominator1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

Paragon8 posted:

For example this cover was shot on a shoot I was assisting on - all natural light, no reflector even.

How the hell. I would love to know more about how the guy who shot this achieved that without a reflector. I'm impressed!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cannister posted:

How the hell. I would love to know more about how the guy who shot this achieved that without a reflector. I'm impressed!

Looks like one of those dreary cloudy days much like Vancouver 90% of the time. Light bounces everywhere because the clouds act like a giant softbox.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cannister posted:

Where is it you think the reflector would have been, had this been shot with the aid of one?

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

HPL posted:

Looks like one of those dreary cloudy days much like Vancouver 90% of the time. Light bounces everywhere because the clouds act like a giant softbox.

Yeah but overcast clouds are above you, in the sky. It just seemed like there was light coming in from in front of her face. I supposed I wasn't thinking about magic hour and how light can come in more laterally at that time.

poopinmymouth posted:

Where is it you think the reflector would have been, had this been shot with the aid of one?

More or less straight in front of her face, just to the left of the frame of the shot, about 10 feet back? The highlight on her lips look like a light source other than the sky, I don't know.

I suppose that would put some more light on her neck, which is pretty well in shadow. I'm not the best in the world at reading back photos to what the lighting setup was.

Cannister fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 20, 2010

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cannister posted:

Yeah but overcast clouds are above you, in the sky. It just seemed like there was light coming in from in front of her face. I supposed I wasn't thinking about magic hour and how light can come in more laterally at that time.

More or less straight in front of her face, just to the left of the frame of the shot, about 10 feet back? The highlight on her lips look like a light source other than the sky, I don't know.

I suppose that would put some more light on her neck, which is pretty well in shadow. I'm not the best in the world at reading back photos to what the lighting setup was.

Keep in mind there was probably at least a little post lifting up the face. Also just because it's without dedicated lighting equipment, doesn't mean the photographer is in the middle of a field. Could easily have been taken between two buildings designed to block out some side light while only allowing it in from above. Or any other structure, trees, etc.

But either way, it would be very very difficult to get this kind of soft even lighting with a reflector.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Cannister posted:

Yeah it's just a properly exposed shot is all. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but it's really simple.. light source (probably the sun behind some clouds or something like that) is directly above the model casting that shadow on her neck and lower cheeks as such. I think the eyes have been touched up, they don't seem consistent with anything else.

I could be wrong!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

10 months out of the year I'll be shooting under a giant, sky-sized softbox in San Francisco. PIMM's suggestion that landscape or buildings could be close by is probably true, I've got plenty of shots with dynamic lighting on the model simply because they had a wall to one side and the sky to the other.
The biggest thing I have to look out for is shadows over the eyes. If the pose allows it, I'll generally tell the model to keep their chin up and treat the sky as their light source. Reflectors work great for filling in shadows in deep-set eyes but there's always the possibility that light will also ruin the natural sculpting you're getting from the sky.

Diamond Duck
Sep 17, 2010

Duck. Duck! DUCK! God damnit.
Children tend to be the most fun potrait shooting for me. Most are too young to feel shy or embarrassed. As long as you can make them laugh they tend to just ham it up and have fun.

Thumb! om nom nom

Click here for the full 800x640 image.

Bright eyes.

Click here for the full 800x640 image.

Pensive.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Gazmachine posted:

p.s. - I like wrestling and I don't care if you know.

Dominator1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr
This is awesome.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Thankyou, you are most kind.

I'm shamelessly cross-posting, but here's some posed Octabox lit stuff from the same evening:

William Gáylord 1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

William Gáylord 3 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Parliament1logo by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

full set

Right, that's me done hammering all the threads - just wanted to share the love.

Oh, and it's pronounced "Gah-lord", so stop sniggering.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Oh, and it's pronounced "Gah-lord", so stop sniggering.
We know that, but somehow I doubt the intended audience does. Perhaps add some phonetic symbols to the name tag :-P

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Haha, that'd be good actually.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think you've got the wrong accent on the "a". Isn't it supposed to be going the other way? Otherwise it's gay like happy.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
A friend of mine got sponsored by a drum company, and needed some promo shots.

Click

Click

Click

Click

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Anti_Social posted:

Click

Click

Click

Click

I really really love what you did with the first two. They're creative and very well executed.
I don't like the second two equally as much. Your lighting just isn't working on his face at all for me. In the second of the pair, I'd go as far as to say it looks like his right side is deformed. The shadow by the dridge of his nose up to his right eye makes it look like the eye is drooping.

Am I crazy? Is anyone else seeing that?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

HPL posted:

I think you've got the wrong accent on the "a". Isn't it supposed to be going the other way? Otherwise it's gay like happy.

Hm, you may be correct, although I doubt any of the fanbase will point that out! It really is a gift of a gimmick for a bad guy - good ol' homophobia!

Anti_Social posted:

Click

Click

Click

Click

Can I ask a quick question? What order did you take these shots in? Did you take the drum shots or the straight up portraits first?

He looks more relaxed in the pics with his kit, for sure. Did you put a light inside the drum, or is that all post?

I love the lighting setup on the drumkit shots, but I wonder if you could've got him playing something to music - something he's really fond of? Obviously it'd be on one drum only, but I think it might've brought out a bit more character in him.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for a critique and I'm really nitpicking at this point, but I'm only nitpicking because I really like those drum shots, and I think a bit more movement would make them even better.

Would like to see close up headshots / head and shoulder with him holding some branded drumsticks, head down a touch, eyes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I did the drum shots first, then the portraits real quick afterwards. I strapped a gelled flash to the snare stand with bongo ties below - I actually had to photoshop some of it out because I am retarded and didn't hide it very well.

It wasn't possible to get him really playing something. After one snare hit, most of the water was already on the ground. The company that sponsored him is Respira, and they currently only make snares - I wanted something that would still very clearly show the logo on his shirt, but still look cool.

I also cheated with the lighting. The snare itself was a composite; I just don't have enough lights to cover everything I needed it to.