Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

If anything it runs lean from the factory, and the timing maps suck for our 91 octane fuel. Here's a stock pull:

Click here for the full 871x1198 image.

notice how the thing runs 14:1 until after 4000rpm?

And here's a nice stock plot showing how much the ECU loves to use the knock sensor:

Click here for the full 851x642 image.

and people wonder why ringlands are blowing up left and right.

What the gently caress is going on, because that just does not happen here. Plus, it's beaten into you with a stick to only use the best (ie 98 or your 93) or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

oRenj9 posted:

You post is exactly what I felt today. My 07 WRX is probably going to be totaled ( :'( ). So I was out shopping for a replacement. I went to a dealership, initially looking at a Legacy wagon, but decided to take a 09 WRX for a drive. And wow. It feels like the same car, just with every little thing fixed. As you said, the engine no longer stutters < 2k RPMs, the seat material is nicer, the climate control knobs are superb, etc. The amount that they refined the engine was absolutely stunning.

However, I took an 08 LGT out for a drive, and drat was it nice too. Neither cars had the umph of my old one down low (it has intake, OS tune, & turbo-back), but damned if they didn't both haul more rear end on the freeway. I'm sure they are both substantially more aerodynamic.

Now I'm torn, the LGT is substantially cheaper -- 19k list versus 25k for the WRX -- but I like the feel of the WRX better. Someone has to explain to me why the LGT isn't at all a compromise. All these talks of 300WHP on the stock turbo are certainly helping.

Personally after my WRX was totaled I was torn between the STI and the LGT. If I were only to be able to choose between WRX and LGT, I would have selected the LGT without a doubt.

I drove the 2010 LGT personally so maybe this isn't relevant to a 2008. The LGT having the same amount of power (as the WRX) combined with its mod friendly nature, comfort and quiet was very appealing to me. The LGT isn't going to have the transmission howl that the WRX has which is very nice (that really got on my nerves with my 08 WRX).

allonblack fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 17, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cat Terrist posted:

Plus, it's beaten into you with a stick to only use the best (ie 98 or your 93) or else.

93 isn't available in a lot of states, they only have 91.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Cat Terrist posted:

What the gently caress is going on, because that just does not happen here. Plus, it's beaten into you with a stick to only use the best (ie 98 or your 93) or else.

It's because you can't get anything over 91 in california. It's the 91 throwing a wrench in poo poo.

edit: Note: You can get over 91 but it's usually insanely rare and inordinately expensive

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I also only have access to 91 unless I buy drums of race gas. There's some mumbo jumbo about how at my elevation they can only offer 91 or something, but I think it's just laziness.

I can get 94 octane E10 but it does a number on my fuel economy - at least 5% worse.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bull3964 posted:

Those plots are from STIs though aren't they? Are the regular WRX stock tunes the same way?

regular wrx has a less aggressive timing map, so you generally end up with a smoother curve and more power, out here with 91 anyway. In the states with 93 at the pump an sti plot doesn't look so bad.

But hey from that second plot just look at what a tune does to these things.

Speaking of subaru dyno plots, here's what our time attack car makes:

picture of said car:

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 17, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it makes me happy that the default premium fuel in PA is 93 with an occasional 92.

Sunoco pisses me off though. Up until recently, their top fuel was 94 with 93 being the step below. They changed that two years ago and the top fuel is 93 and the one below that is 91 (all without changing the price of course).

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
wtf? It's almost universally 87, 89, 91 here in Seattle. (or is it 92? I can't remember)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

syphon posted:

wtf? It's almost universally 87, 89, 91 here in Seattle. (or is it 92? I can't remember)

In western PA, the grades are nearly always 87, 89, 93. Occasionally, you'll see 92 instead of 93.

Sunoco used to do 87,89,93,94 but now they just do 87,89,91,93.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Sunoco pisses me off though. Up until recently, their top fuel was 94 with 93 being the step below. They changed that two years ago and the top fuel is 93 and the one below that is 91 (all without changing the price of course).

Sunoco was bought out by Petro-Canadaa little while back. All of our stations in Canada have been switched over from Sunoco to Petro-Cans, but they still had Sunoco94 at the pumps under the new Petro-Can name.

EDIT:

quote:

Petro-Canada offers three grades of gasoline across Canada, and a fourth grade in selected areas:

Super premium - 94 octane - SuperClean 94, available in Montréal

We have it in Sarnia too, but it probably has something to do with..

quote:

Following World War II, Sun expanded internationally. Its first Canadian refinery was built in 1953 in Sarnia, Ontario, home to a burgeoning new petrochemical industry

Sockington fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 17, 2010

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

c355n4 posted:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

:psyduck:

This is why I hate what Subaru has become in recent years. Subaru was a completely different world back in 2001. I don't go to any meets and don't plan on it. Who the heck buys a $25k car and buys suspension that costs $400.

Sorry for the rant; but, I hate the Subaru crowd sometimes and it hurts me.

There are idiots in pretty much every car community. Just be glad that most of the people (from reading the first couple of pages, anyway) realize what a bad idea $400 coilovers are.

Although I do admit this is pretty bad..

quote:

wow this great. I was looking into getting raceland coilovers for my e36 325is few months back, then just had a MK3 jetta, samething raceland coilovers for 288 shippied. Now for wrx DAM! lol Event ho it says for gen 2, this will work on my GC8?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dphi posted:

There are idiots in pretty much every car community. Just be glad that most of the people (from reading the first couple of pages, anyway) realize what a bad idea $400 coilovers are.

Although I do admit this is pretty bad..

NASIOC is truly the rear end end of the Subaru community tho.

Jamal - thanks for the info re: fuels. I had no idea 98 equivalent wasnt actually readily availible like it is here - I honesty get concerned if I'm forced to run 95 (highly rare now), I *know* that's not good enough so now I can see why a tune would be a good idea.

But why the hell is it like that? I would have thought 98 equivalent would have been popular and widely availible.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

My mum has an '03 Forester (non turbo) that will need a new clutch in a few thousand km, should I advise her to get a new stock clutch or would an aftermarket one be a better choice?

The car is stock and rarely, if ever, gets driven hard.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

open24hours posted:

My mum has an '03 Forester (non turbo) that will need a new clutch in a few thousand km, should I advise her to get a new stock clutch or would an aftermarket one be a better choice?

I went with an aftermarket Exedy OEM replacement. Was cheaper than the stock clutch from Subaru. Amazingly, amazon.com had the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KSB04-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5EMS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1284726718&sr=1-1

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 17, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

But why the hell is it like that? I would have thought 98 equivalent would have been popular and widely availible.

Part of the reason is distribution. Most of the Midwest is at a much higher altitude and so the octane is bumped downward to match the lower air density. Cars with forced induction can, of course, compensate for altitude but they are few and far enough between that they aren't taken into account.

The other is environmental regulations. MTBE, the octane enhancer, has been phased out in CA (and I believe NY) due to environmental concerns so 93 was bumped down to 91 as a result. It likely won't be long until other states follow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

open24hours posted:

Aftermarket replacements are cheaper, but look out - my Exedy organic replacement was defined as "stock feel" but is significantly heavier than a stock (pull-type) 06. It's nothing I didn't get used to eventually but it was a bit of a shocker compared to other cars that I test drove without a replacement clutch installed. I was walking a bit peg legged for the first couple days.

That said, the Forester clutch is already quite a bit of effort to work if I remember correctly - I've seen guys swap in whatever parts the Impreza has in order to make it easier to work.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The organic clutches from Exedy are Stage 1 replacement parts. :x

He should be fine with the normal Exedy OEM Replacement part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aren't the stock clutches already Exedy in subaru?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In that case, it might all be in my head that it's heavier than a stock 06 - but the clutch in my 06 is seriously heavier than a Chevy S-15, and it is aftermarket, installed by the previous owner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In that case, it might all be in my head that it's heavier than a stock 06 - but the clutch in my 06 is seriously heavier than a Chevy S-15, and it is aftermarket, installed by the previous owner.

First thing that happens whenever I try to drive a manual transmission that isn't a subaru is I end up putting my foot through the floor.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

bull3964 posted:

First thing that happens whenever I try to drive a manual transmission that isn't a subaru is I end up putting my foot through the floor.

My Mini's clutch was way heavier than my GC8's is.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

I think I can see a turbo spooling up there...

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

When I was trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my STi, I ran the gas to empty and then some. Worked the pump more than what was good to dump the rest of the gas until only race amounts of gas was left and then poured in 5 gallons of MS100 Unleaded race gas (100 Octane). I reset the ecu and then drove around for 40 miles. No noticable difference.

I'd like to give a non-North-American market STi a spin to see what a non-horrible factory map is like. I think the NA market maps are simply built by retards. Running on the stage 2 AccessPort map, my fuel MPG went up on top of putting 280 to the wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Non-US ecus don't even like to run on our 93 from what I've heard.

bull3964 posted:

Aren't the stock clutches already Exedy in subaru?

They make an OEM replacement exedy, stage 1, and stage 1 HD. I think the only difference is the clamp load.

Oh, and try a 2010+ sti. I think they must have changed the MC because I couldn't believe how light the clutch is now.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

jamal posted:

If 98 RON is premium elsewhere, 93 MON+RON/2 is like 97.5 RON.

edit:
On the case of gas, if I have 93 available there's no reason not to look for a tune or Accessport correct?

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 17, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

ssjonizuka posted:

I know the VF46 (which is stock on mine) has slightly different flow curves due to the housing, and I already have a catless UP stock. So maybe I just go with the TMIC, DP and tune. Then if the turbo does go, I can do the upgrade down the line. It would be cheaper short term.

You're in MA/NH aren't you? Where did you get it tuned? A bunch of people up here go to EFI - is that where Mike from formerly TDC went?

Yeah I am in MA, I have heard EFI was good, Mike from TDC was the guy who initially tuned my car.

I would recommend DSG for tuning needs, they were awesome when I had my LGT and WRX, and everyone else seems to love them too.

That was my plan too, push the stock snail as far as I could go, and replace it when/if it blows. Also, might want to pull the screens in the banjo bolts on the oil lines while you are at it for some peace of mind.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Syd posted:

If 98 RON is premium elsewhere, 93 MON+RON/2 is like 97.5 RON.

edit:
On the case of gas, if I have 93 available there's no reason not to look for a tune or Accessport correct?

If you don't have 93 available, it's an even better reason to look into getting a tune. A properly tuned ECU for lovely CA gas will protect the motor from detonation and popping.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

In the general case, 1993-95 JDM WRXes (and especially STIs) that come here start having tantrums unless you tune them basically immediately. It doesn't help that almost all of them have damaged coilpacks and need an 02+ conversion.

It's also the case with other JDM imports - some (like Skylines) are a little more robust, but the majority of them get finicky and pull timing until they basically feel like American-made 15-year-old cars.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I just spent a few minutes reviewing the first 10 pages or so of the thread, what a long strange trip it's been.

Now onto the issue, I got some clunk in my trunk. I see the Tiens and something else are poo poo struts, so, where do I get some new Tonka like struts for my 04 STis sweet sweet rear end?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

burtonos posted:

I just spent a few minutes reviewing the first 10 pages or so of the thread, what a long strange trip it's been.

Now onto the issue, I got some clunk in my trunk. I see the Tiens and something else are poo poo struts, so, where do I get some new Tonka like struts for my 04 STis sweet sweet rear end?

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_259_42_132_1066&products_id=544

Right there. $600

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Excellent, I shall order them post-haste!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, those are cheaper than Koni Yellow inserts. I think a few guys in the club have them, I should bug them and see what their single adjustables are like for ride quality.

Also, I know amandyke asked about this earlier, but I didn't see any replies - are there any firmer springs that keep the car pretty close to the stock height? I'm considering reinstalling my stock springs so I can have an extra 22mm to clear snow, but it would be ideal if I could put in some stiffer ones while I'm at it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 17, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Has anyone heard anything about 2011 WRX aftermarket exhausts?

I'm about to order mine and am sitting on the fence between the SPT and rolling the dice that a better aftermarket model will be available by the time I take delivery in 4-7 weeks.

I'm not sure that the SPT is that much of a performance gain for the price vs. most aftermarket ones, but I'm also worrying about being one of the pioneers that gets an aftermarket one that fits like poo poo and burns down my car in 2 months. I called my local shops and they were all kind of clueless on the subject.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
If it's anything like the 2010 WRX, the SPT exhaust will get you practically NO performance gains (maybe a tiny bit more down-low power, but it's very hard to tell), but sounds WAY better. I LOVE how my SPT exhaust sounds, but the car doesn't really feel any faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SPT exhaust is just a cat-back exhaust, and I don't think ANY cat-backs provide performance gain. I think you need to change out the downpipe or cats to actually get any gain (which usually requires a new cat-back as well). However, just swapping out the cat-back isn't really going to gain you any power... just noise. :)

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 17, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm going full catless as well. I mainly am concerned because I'm going straight from the dealership on delivery to my local shop for a tune. I want to have the full exhaust picked out one way or the other so I don't have to keep spending money on tuning it over and over. I'm going to be budgeting around ~2500 to do this.

Accessport, up pipe, Turboback exhaust.

Edit: I suppose I should've mentioned that in the first place but I guess I have now!

Edit^2: A salesman is claiming all the 08+ Exhaust is confirmed to fit without issues on the 2011's. Can anyone else confirm this for me? I've done business with the guy before and he's been legit but he's suggesting a full Invidia setup and I have this strange notion in my head about that brand not really being a quality choice.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 17, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, those are cheaper than Koni Yellow inserts. I think a few guys in the club have them, I should bug them and see what their single adjustables are like for ride quality.

Also, I know amandyke asked about this earlier, but I didn't see any replies - are there any firmer springs that keep the car pretty close to the stock height? I'm considering reinstalling my stock springs so I can have an extra 22mm to clear snow, but it would be ideal if I could put in some stiffer ones while I'm at it.

d-specs are good but I would rather have the konis.

racecomp black springs are stiff and don't lower much. they make wagon and sedan versions and you need STI struts or better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bob Log posted:

I'm going full catless as well. I mainly am concerned because I'm going straight from the dealership on delivery to my local shop for a tune. I want to have the full exhaust picked out one way or the other so I don't have to keep spending money on tuning it over and over. I'm going to be budgeting around ~2500 to do this.

Accessport, up pipe, Turboback exhaust.

Edit: I suppose I should've mentioned that in the first place but I guess I have now!

Edit^2: A salesman is claiming all the 08+ Exhaust is confirmed to fit without issues on the 2011's. Can anyone else confirm this for me? I've done business with the guy before and he's been legit but he's suggesting a full Invidia setup and I have this strange notion in my head about that brand not really being a quality choice.

skip the up-pipe and get an intake instead (also we have them in stock). There shouldn't be any change on exhaust fitment for the 2011 wrx and Invidia exhausts seem to be pretty nice. We make downpipes for everything but the only catback we have is for the sti hatch.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just threw a set of 215-65/16 Geolandar ATS' on my Forester. When I get back from my trip I'm gonna throw on a 1" strut lift and finally have what Subaru should have built in the first place for a proper dual use car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bob Log posted:

I was strongly steered towards Invidia for a turboback setup by the tuner shop I went to; I see no real problem in passing along that recommendation since they had one for me to take a peer at. They're really well done (around the standards of a Tomei exhaust).

From what I can see on YouTube it also sounds pretty nice without being too loud. I'm also considering a Maddad setup since a bunch of guys in the club have them and they sound just right to my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

In western PA, the grades are nearly always 87, 89, 93. Occasionally, you'll see 92 instead of 93.

Sunoco used to do 87,89,93,94 but now they just do 87,89,91,93.

Yeah gently caress Sheetz and their "Super 92." They offer 87, 89, and 92... it was like "Well we don't want to do 91 and 93, so let's compromise!"