Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

doctorfrog posted:

My guess is that it a) isn't that simple, there is still some lawyer work around it, b) if there is the faintest possibility of resuscitating an old, dead IP in a new game, you don't want to chance letting it loose even for a moment, or else face shareholder criticism c) you have to also hunt down all the original folks and give them the $.01 per sale they're due for reselling the old title, which costs you money and resources d) DRM-free digital distribution is still new and scary e) there just aren't that many folks who give a crap about PC titles enough to go through all this trouble.
Oh, I agree. There's probably a huge assortment of financial, legal and licensing issues holding back a lot of the classics. Otherwise, all the Infinity Engine games would have been released by GoG already.

I was more talking specifically about that twitter post, which suggested that publishers were turned off by the DRM issue specifically. It seems a weird sticking point for all these ancient games because as I said, it's not like something they tossed $50 million into last month. These are things where there has been a DRM-free option for years now without giving the owners a cent of profit, so it's not really that much of a risk.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

It seems a weird sticking point for all these ancient games because as I said, it's not like something they tossed $50 million into last month. These are things where there has been a DRM-free option for years now without giving the owners a cent of profit, so it's not really that much of a risk.
And what makes it even crazier and annoying is that publishers are willing to release their older games like Dungeon Keeper 2, Sim City 3000, Startopia, Neverwinter Nights, ect over here in Britain on disc via the budget Sold Out label for about £5 apiece, yet they're totally unwilling to plonk those very same titles onto GOG.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blodskur posted:

And what makes it even crazier and annoying is that publishers are willing to release their older games like Dungeon Keeper 2, Sim City 3000, Startopia, Neverwinter Nights, ect over here in Britain on disc via the budget Sold Out label for about £5 apiece, yet they're totally unwilling to plonk those very same titles onto GOG.

Well it's possible that the exclusive rights to sell those games was signed away before digital distribution became an issue (for exactly the same reasoning: "hey it's not like we'll want to distribute them again") so those titles are stuck.

But I think other than that it's just like Steam and Digital Distribution in general: everyone's cautiously dipping their toes in the water of this new thing and it's just a matter of waiting for corporate intertia to wear off.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I take it GOG hasn't uploaded a manual for Age of Wonders yet? I didn't see one in the download.

Also, since I was asking about it earlier, there's one last thing I want to know about the Disciples games before I totally give up on them; are the Sagas easier than the custom scenarios? I ask because I rarely play campaigns in games like this and sometimes it's the case that scenarios are harder.

If they are, though, then it's time to uninstall Disciples II. It's just so frustrating having to go through hell and high water every single time just to snatch even a small victory from the AI, and I don't think there's any way to change that without hardcore modding.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AG3 posted:

Obviously the best solution for stopping piracy and thus maximizing profit of these old as hell games is to use Ubi's always online DRM :downs:

While I won't buy downloadable things that use DRM I would be willing to pay for a Netflix style service that used that kind of intrusive DRM; the key is always in giving me something (a huge library of play any time I want games) in exchange for the irritation of the structure and keeping the price at something appropriately low.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Random Stranger posted:

While I won't buy downloadable things that use DRM I would be willing to pay for a Netflix style service that used that kind of intrusive DRM; the key is always in giving me something (a huge library of play any time I want games) in exchange for the irritation of the structure and keeping the price at something appropriately low.

I guess what you're saying is that the always-online model is acceptable to you, but only if you can access content that is always-new.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I guess what you're saying is that the always-online model is acceptable to you, but only if you can access content that is always-new.

Heh. I guess. My main point is that if you take from a consumer you have to give something back to make up for that. An exchange of convenience of play time and use for a big selection and price is acceptable to me. I'll pay $10 a month for access to a library that I can only use online; I won't pay $10 to "buy" game that I can't even be certain will be available to me a year down the road.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Random Stranger posted:

What DRM does netflix use, or do you mean that it's streaming and not a download?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Random Stranger posted:

So... you would use Gametap?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

What DRM does netflix use, or do you mean that it's streaming and not a download?

Netflix's "DRM" is essentially the same as Ubisoft's: you have to be connected continually to their servers to use their content. Ubisoft's is a bitch because you've purchased it and have the physical object with no need to talk to them (assuming you've bought the disk instead of a download release); Netflix isn't because it's all tied together with their service.

Drox posted:

So... you would use Gametap?

Yeah, actually Gametap was kind of tempting to me but I decided when I looked at it that it was too expensive for what they offered.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
It's ahh....not a very good service. Good idea, pretty crappy execution. I have a funny feeling that idea will come again in a better package.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overwined posted:

It's ahh....not a very good service. Good idea, pretty crappy execution. I have a funny feeling that idea will come again in a better package.

I don't know what you're talking about it was awesome just for Twinkle Star Sprites.

That's pretty much all I ever played on it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Drox posted:

I don't know what you're talking about it was awesome just for Twinkle Star Sprites.

That's pretty much all I ever played on it.

I don't want to be too hard on the Gametap people. The notion that you could pack a shitload of games that people wouldn't pay for individually on a subscription service makes a lot of sense and it fits retro gaming perfectly. I'm sure contractually it was a nightmare and I did notice that games got pulled quite regularly which sucked.

EDIT: Bust-a-Move > Twinkle Star Sprites

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
http://impulsedriven.com/aowsm

That will be all.

ETA: Agh, it doesn't seem to actually be up. Clicking add to cart just brings up a blank screen.

CURSE YOU IMPUUULSE

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overwined posted:

EDIT: Bust-a-Move > Twinkle Star Sprites

Maybe but I can get a console copy of a BaM game a lot easier than I can TSS. Was TSS ever even released on a console?

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always really wanted to try Dungeon Master. Will they have those?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Malkar posted:

http://impulsedriven.com/aowsm

That will be all.

ETA: Agh, it doesn't seem to actually be up. Clicking add to cart just brings up a blank screen.

CURSE YOU IMPUUULSE

This looks very much like they tried to copy Master of Magic.

Is this accurate? If so did they do it well or is this more of a cult game some here enjoy(ed)?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is an EXCELLENT very MoM-like game. There are differences, but all improvements in my opinion. (I.e. more meaningful tactical combat).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

So, GOG.com is shutting down.

http://www.gog.com

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
It's gone.

I was downloading, then... bam!

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

gog.com posted:

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Jesus, out of nowhere really; was the no DRM their biggest hurdle?

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

I hope they work out some deal to get all their current titles on Steam or something.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Wow. I just popped on thinking "I wonder if GoG has Thief Gold. I've always wanted Thief Gold." I admit to never really buying much, but I finally had my card out and ready to buy something from them.

Maybe the issue was that, that it is kind of hard to specifically sell older games that a lot of people have already played?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting that to happen so suddenly.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Is there a good chance they were paying the publishers money to be able to sell their games, and not making any profit on a lot of them?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I really dont understand why they would do this so suddenly especially considering they just released a new title a few days ago.

Oh well I expected this to happen sooner or later nothing good ever lasts :(.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Massive bummer to have this happen. :(

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

TGLT posted:

Wow. I just popped on thinking "I wonder if GoG has Thief Gold. I've always wanted Thief Gold." I admit to never really buying much, but I finally had my card out and ready to buy something from them.

Maybe the issue was that, that it is kind of hard to specifically sell older games that a lot of people have already played?

Plus it seems like they get a lot of competition from Steam, D2D and Impulse on all the popular titles. Maybe they were waiting to see how well AoW did but again it was available on other download sites, either that or everyone was waiting for Shadow Magic.

BillWh0re fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 19, 2010

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I can't believe this is shutting down. gently caress.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Centipeed posted:

So, GOG.com is shutting down.

http://www.gog.com

Sadly, all I see is "We're overwhelmed by the popularity of our service. ;) Please check back soon!"

What the hell.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
Really sad to see this happen. Honestly I wouldn't have minded if they had adopted a DRM system similar to other sites if it had kept the store alive. I wonder how much that held them back.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

gog.com seems pretty buggered so here's the text:

Edit: nvm, already here

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Only saw the "service unavailable" page. Perhaps it was hacked or something (we can only hope right!)?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thoren posted:

I can't believe this is shutting down. gently caress.

It's not even 'shutting down'. They just shut down without any warning. And I only have one of my 11 or so GoG games downloaded. Am I going to have to switch to piracy because they couldn't shut down gracefully?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Well that sure is sudden. Sad to see it go, but as someone else said, they probably couldn't make much profit with the low prices and competing with bigger DD services.

Was fun while it lasted.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

And here I thought everyone here was crazy for thinking GOG was going to go out of business recently.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Dominic White posted:

It's not even 'shutting down'. They just shut down without any warning. And I only have one of my 11 or so GoG games downloaded. Am I going to have to switch to piracy because they couldn't shut down gracefully?

The original announcement says they will let everyone download purchased games next week... I am in the same boat though with only one game. Not necessarily holding my breath, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Well gently caress. :(