Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the next Rifftrax Live, House on Haunted Hill, has a date now. October 28th. Broadcasting out of Nashville now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Laugh at me because I can't remember: are these events live? I wouldn't see the crew if I made it to Nashville, would I?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prof. Numbers posted:

Laugh at me because I can't remember: are these events live? I wouldn't see the crew if I made it to Nashville, would I?

If you go to the theater they're broadcasting the show from, yes, you will probably see them there.

Anywhere else, obviously not. It will be sent all over from that one theater.

edit: Ha Ha!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Prof. Numbers posted:

If you went to the specific theater you would. Sadly I don't see getting a ticket to be a problem as the last event's seating looked a little empty from all the audience shots.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

muscles like this? posted:

If you went to the specific theater you would. Sadly I don't see getting a ticket to be a problem as the last event's seating looked a little empty from all the audience shots.

The Belcourt isn't all that huge, so it might sell out. But yes, the crew will be in Nashville. I don't think the tickets have gone on sale yet, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I think Mike wants us all to have a brain seizure:

High School Musical is the next victim (or are we?).

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think Mike wants us all to have a brain seizure:

High School Musical is the next victim (or are we?).
I saw the Tweet about this and my immediate reaction was "gently caress, I'm gonna have to watch High School Musical now."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cams posted:

I saw the Tweet about this and my immediate reaction was "gently caress, I'm gonna have to watch High School Musical now."

At least I don't have to face the laughing clerks at the video store thanks to Netflix.

I haven't been the same since the Crossroads incident.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
This has divided my house. I'm happy about it, but the prospect of watching such a movie caused my significant other to turn away in disgust. I have been instructed that if I want to watch it, I have to do it on my own...

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
My sister has her own copy of the movie in our basement, so it will be nice to watch a riffed movie without having to spend time or money getting the movie. It's a "Redux" version according to the cover, though, so I don't know if it's an extended/director's cut or if it's just referring to special features.

Frong
Jul 1, 2007

heh
I'm a bit worried they'll get gimmicky with the songs and it'll end up more annoying and unfunny than anything else like how the sex scene riffs in The Room are totally skippable because of the disembaudio stuff.

Edit: That isn't to say the sex scenes in The Room weren't completely awful and stomach turning, but the riffs don't improve those scenes like they do the rest of the movie.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Don't forget that Kevin is a great singer, so he'll probably be singing counter-lines. I wouldn't worry about another incident like Disembaudio-gate.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
High School Musical?

Those bastards are doing great at getting me to watch lovely movies. Almost everyone I know (including a few good looking women) has been trying to get me to watch Titanic for the last 8 years and I have refused, because the movie looked incredibly stupid and was also about 12 hours too long.

So when do I watch it? Alone on an Friday night.

However, afterward I watched a few Star Wars Rifftrax clips and I've decided that Colt 45 references with Lando will never not be funny. Especially the one in Empire where all 4 guys in the studio stumble over each other to make the obvious reference. But my favorite will always be, "I hope the Death Star shield does not work everytime. Unlike Colt 45. Which, as we all know, does. Work every time, that is."

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Locutus Of Bored posted:

However, afterward I watched a few Star Wars Rifftrax clips and I've decided that Colt 45 references with Lando will never not be funny.

I'm the same way with the 'Magneto?' 'Cerebro' in the X-Men movies and 'Spoooooock' in the Star Trek ones.

Maybe I'm just easily amused but I laugh every time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

I'm the same way with the 'Magneto?' 'Cerebro' in the X-Men movies and 'Spoooooock' in the Star Trek ones.

Cerebro/Magneto is always funny.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Hunterhr posted:

Spooooooock goes all the way back to the early MST3K episodes.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Can someone explain this Disembaudio thing? Is that the robot voice that appears every once in a while? I feel like there's a joke I'm not getting here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Traxus IV posted:

Can someone explain this Disembaudio thing? Is that the robot voice that appears every once in a while? I feel like there's a joke I'm not getting here.

Yeah, it's there to make sure the movie is synced up to the riff. When a character in the movie utters a line of dialogue, Disembaudio does the same so you can tell whether you're on track or not as far as the syncing goes. This happens only a few times per riff at most.

But in some riffs, The Room for example, Disembaudio gets a good amount of lines and basically becomes one of the riffers, in addition to checking the sync.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

His cousin was in Transformers!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

IUG posted:

Cerebro/Magneto is always funny.

I like how Kevin tried to poach the joke and Mike and Bill shot him down. "No! OUR joke! Not for Kevin!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vicissitude posted:

I like how Kevin tried to poach the joke and Mike and Bill shot him down. "No! OUR joke! Not for Kevin!"

Which was this from? I can't remember.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Which was this from? I can't remember.
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, it's there to make sure the movie is synced up to the riff. When a character in the movie utters a line of dialogue, Disembaudio does the same so you can tell whether you're on track or not as far as the syncing goes. This happens only a few times per riff at most.

But in some riffs, The Room for example, Disembaudio gets a good amount of lines and basically becomes one of the riffers, in addition to checking the sync.

That makes pretty good sense, actually. I just thought they were making fun of bad acting with the robot voice or something. Thanks for the explanation!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They just announced that Paul F Tompkins will be a special guest at the next Live event.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

They just announced that Paul F Tompkins will be a special guest at the next Live event.
Well goddamn, as if I didn't already have an incentive to go- I was just re-listening to his podcast today where he goes through the "Gathering of the Juggalos" ad line by line and riffs on it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Well goddamn, as if I didn't already have an incentive to go- I was just re-listening to his podcast today where he goes through the "Gathering of the Juggalos" ad line by line and riffs on it.

Which podcast is that? It's not on the Pod F Tompkast, right?

Yeah, I was waffling on going to this, but with Tompkins being there, now I have to. I don't know if I can get him to Nashville any other way - I think the Nashville 300 thing is stalled out. :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

1. Am I an idiot for not knowing who this guy is?
2. Who this guy is?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IUG posted:

1. Am I an idiot for not knowing who this guy is?
2. Who this guy is?

This guy:

He's a funny comedian. You might recognize him from Mr Show.

Edit: His website: http://www.paulftompkins.com/

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

This guy:

He's a funny comedian. You might recognize him from Mr Show.

Edit: His website: http://www.paulftompkins.com/

He was also the MC in both the Tenacious D show and the movie.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

Which podcast is that? It's not on the Pod F Tompkast, right?
Actually, apparently it was on a radio show with Tom Scharpling. Anyway, link: http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

Starts about an hour and 27 minutes in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On the subject of Paul F. Tompkins podcasts, he's also a regular guest on the very funny Comedy Death Ray Radio, hosted by Scott Aukerman (also of Mr. Show fame). He usually does impressions and I don't think I've ever not been floored by one, he's a very funny man.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

On the subject of Paul F. Tompkins podcasts, he's also a regular guest on the very funny Comedy Death Ray Radio, hosted by Scott Aukerman (also of Mr. Show fame). He usually does impressions and I don't think I've ever not been floored by one, he's a very funny man.
Paul F Tompkins was one of my favorites from Mr Show and I loved his Comedy Central Presents, but he became one of my favorite comedians in the world with his Comedy Death Ray Radio appearances. His Ice T, John C Reilly, Cake Boss, Andrew Lloyd Weber... all his impressions are hilarious. And he is very funny on his own. If anyone wasn't sure about going, I highly recommend it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

Paul F Tompkins was one of my favorites from Mr Show and I loved his Comedy Central Presents, but he became one of my favorite comedians in the world with his Comedy Death Ray Radio appearances. His Ice T, John C Reilly, Cake Boss, Andrew Lloyd Weber... all his impressions are hilarious. And he is very funny on his own. If anyone wasn't sure about going, I highly recommend it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know his John C. Reilly was an impersonation for a while, I thought it was actually John C. Reilly. I also didn't know Paul was doing the Ice T impressions (though I did know it wasn't the real Ice T).

Cooter Libby
Jul 30, 2004

by angerbot
I watched the High School Musical riff and it was especially painful. The jokes were top notch though, especially the ones about the creepy brother and sister. It was a real fun experience watching this with my younger brother since he's been exposed to the Disney Channel stuff through school. I would only recommend this one if you're die hard into Rifftrax. Great riff, but this was a one time watch for me.

Also, I heard on twitter that sometime next month a riff of the awful Clash of the Titans remake might be coming. The jokes practically write themselves with that one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cooter Libby posted:

Also, I heard on twitter that sometime next month a riff of the awful Clash of the Titans remake might be coming. The jokes practically write themselves with that one.

That's some really low hanging fruit there. That loving movie. :barf:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Less Clash, more Airbender.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Less Clash, more Airbender.

It's not on DVD yet, but I hope they do it and throw in lots of Happening callbacks.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Cooter Libby posted:

I watched the High School Musical riff and it was especially painful. The jokes were top notch though, especially the ones about the creepy brother and sister. It was a real fun experience watching this with my younger brother since he's been exposed to the Disney Channel stuff through school. I would only recommend this one if you're die hard into Rifftrax. Great riff, but this was a one time watch for me.

You weren't lying. Just started watching the Riff and the movie is painfully, painfully terrible. The riffing, however, is top notch.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Anyone going to the Nashville showing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studded Innards
Dec 3, 2007
Sick...
Just did Transformers out of despise for Michael Bay. Meh.

• Locked thread