Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

Faerunner posted:

Heavy foot driving, top down, mix of city and highway, pulling about 22MPG with 93 octane.

Expensively worth it. Mmm.

How does everyone get worse mileage than I do? I'm pulling ~28 for an average, and I usually just feed my 93 91; it's about all we have and the 2 octane doesn't make a lot of difference at this elevation. That said, I don't think a heavy foot needs apply (hurr) - I've yet to find one that won't idle over the speed limit - no matter what the speed limit is.

chia posted:

'00 Wagon, I've only had it for less than a year or some 7000km so just one oil change. This being Finland it's also going to be nice and expensive to fix it (1100-1500 euros). Have to say it's probably my favorite car yet, though. And I had an V6 Alfa before this one. :unsmith:

I saw it before several times in this thread, but make sure you have that pcv update; it will fix/aid the oil flow to help you not get sludged in the future. I would suggest changing your oil about every 8000km; I don't care about the official reccomendations - anything 1999 through 2004 for the 9-5, and 2000-2003 9-3 (and 1999 Viggen 2.3) has a really nasty habit of getting expensive when not being paid attention to. Note that this directly affects the crankcase ventilation; it's best to just do both as one shot - might as well do the crankcase vent updates even if you do have PCV#6 with your current tab for repairs I doubt you'll notice any difference in the cost.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
For everyone with an aging 9-5 (1998-2005), don't forget that Saabs generally have parts that are considered replacible after 100,000 miles (or even 10,000 miles :ohdear: )

If your trunk light doesn't go on, the popper isn't working, or you're getting random 'BRAKE LIGHT FAILURE' messages on the SID, this is a likely culprit.

Pull the rubber cover off of the plastic clasp that contains the wires that runs to the rear lighting cluster; it's located at the top left of your trunk when open, near the strut. It is quite mallable, even after a decade - you can gently push it in with a flat screwdriver or gently tug it off.

Pull that off and pull the rubber covering the wires down from it, and search for broken wires.

Chances are you'll see the above. (Picture not mine, I've already repaired it).

You can either Buy a replacement for about $100 US, or buy $2 worth of butt splices and some 16 gauge wire, and fix it yourself in about half an hour.

Repair is left as an exercise to the viewer - I just cut the wires and spliced each one, ensuring I could get them to fit back into the elbow, after giving them more than enough 'wiggle room' beyond the plastic - up within the trunk lid. That should hold for at least another decade.

Edit: Dumb spell checking, it's not a 'butt splicer' v:v:v

SaabFanatic fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 30, 2010

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
Just bought this one. Sludged and seized. May just use to steal parts off of. '99 9-3 SE w/ good top, OK parts, and most of the parts. Guy wanted $200 for the IDM, so he can keep it (I didn't have the heart to tell him he was storing it upside down :v:). I'll take the rest, even though the interior is thrashed.

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :iiam:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
How's the exterior rear window trim? I've got a piece warping a bit and it's $texas anywhere I've looked.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

Faerunner posted:

How's the exterior rear window trim? I've got a piece warping a bit and it's $texas anywhere I've looked.

Disintegrating, same as the 2001, but it's not as bad as I thought for a 1999, honestly. Doesn't really help that noise, anyhow. It just sounds like wind when you drive. Give it 10 minutes and you're entirely oblivious to it.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

SaabFanatic posted:

Disintegrating, same as the 2001, but it's not as bad as I thought for a 1999, honestly. Doesn't really help that noise, anyhow. It just sounds like wind when you drive. Give it 10 minutes and you're entirely oblivious to it.

Do you have a picture of yours? I thought I was a bit more helpful than above. The problem with the stripping and most of the trim is that it's still OES only, and thus, expensive as hell. Is the seal failing due to it, or is it just a bit bendy? Have the same exact problem on the 01, and now the 99.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

SaabFanatic posted:

Just bought this one. Sludged and seized. May just use to steal parts off of. '99 9-3 SE w/ good top, OK parts, and most of the parts. Guy wanted $200 for the IDM, so he can keep it (I didn't have the heart to tell him he was storing it upside down :v:). I'll take the rest, even though the interior is thrashed.

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :iiam:

That's your 4th Saab then? drat you americans and your low vehicle taxes :argh:

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That's your 4th Saab then? drat you americans and your low vehicle taxes :argh:

:ssh: This is a parts car only, I swear.

The engine is hopeless, the IDM is missing, it's only 92k on the odo, but virtually everything in it is ruined. It never got a PCV update - he blew the head for a second time, and it was oozing from places that didn't even have holes. It's been sitting for a few months, so field mice already started tearing into the wiring, too.

He offered the G17 (it's not a B205R, it's a B205L), but it had plenty of shaft play and he wanted more to include it, ditto (cost wise) for the IDM.

I just want this one just to cherrypick parts in my own yard, then I'll have it hauled off. If I end up repairing this thrashed-pile-of-poo poo, I think it's time to get in the happy huggy room with those sweaters that make sure you stay nice and warm and don't move too much.

My state recently started taxing based upon the INITIAL PRICE of the car, instead of the current value. You save maybe $50 between a new car, and a used one for yearly registration.

I just talked to the guy I bought the 2K 9-5 from in '08 - he started repairing the sludged beast before I got it, then just gave up because it was such a pain in the rear end. He's a 9K freak. He just bought another 9K. He's now up to 3 that he owns w/ registration, and it's SAAB number 17 for him. Guy's barely 30.

I think it's time we escalate SAAB obsessive collecting to a recognized "disorder" status.

SaabFanatic fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 2, 2010

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Sooooo I am looking at a 1999 9-5 with the 2.3 four banger and a 5 speed transmission.

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1999-Saab-9-5-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ229176730

this is the add. Am I an idiot for buying this for DD duty?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Four Banger posted:

Sooooo I am looking at a 1999 9-5 with the 2.3 four banger and a 5 speed transmission.

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1999-Saab-9-5-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ229176730

this is the add. Am I an idiot for buying this for DD duty?

No. Grab it fast.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Faerunner posted:

No. Grab it fast.

that's what I want to hear.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm considering a 99' 9-3 Turbo. Going back and forth right now with the seller and it seems it needs a clutch job and something is wrong with a power steering line leaking making it "hard to steer". I understand the clutch is a $1000 job because of the complexity but I'm not sure about the power steering line. How deep in there is the line?

I called up the local ex Saab-Saturn dealer and asked them for a ballpark on a clutch and was quote around $800 for just the clutch. He said clutch, pressure plate, etc all in would be about $1000. Does that seem realistic?

I've seen a lot of Saabs up for sale recently needing a clutch. Likely the owners deciding to sell once they realize its an expensive job. I'm thinking that if I could get the car cheap I can roll the clutch job into the cost of the car.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Well I did it...

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
First thoughts?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Faerunner posted:

First thoughts?

Well I really only got to take it for a test drive, but in that time I've noticed that the clutch is amazingly smooth; no slip at all in it, it sounds beautiful, putting it in reverse when you park will take some getting used to. Anf the FASTEN SEATBELT light made me laugh.

I wish the DMV was open so I could register and drive it though. in Nova Scotia (I'm not in NS, but the Previous Owner is) you keep your plates when you sell a vehicle, they follow you not the vehicle. So I can't drive it until monday morning.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Haha, your logo is silver as well. Someone has got to sell those - I hate that mine is worn away.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Hi Guys.

Saw this thread when searching on another forum; someone said they went there forum after reading this thread. This place is a lot more busy, even for this thread.

Here's my Viggen:

Picture is not mine, it was from former owner.

It's still new to me, and I love the car despite it's quirks (dead pixels in the center console display, the ignition in the center, etc. It is pretty drat fast, too.

Four Banger posted:

Well I did it...

You're missing a passenger side foglamp.

Try to find a used one, because they're not cheap.

Karl Barks posted:

Haha, your logo is silver as well. Someone has got to sell those - I hate that mine is worn away.

I got one for my car here: State of Nine.

It's really simple to change - gently pry off with a screwdriver wrapped up with tape to not damage your paint, then scrub off the leftover tape, wipe it down, align, and press it on.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you came here from a search, please please please read the forums rules when you get a chance. It's fairly easy to get banned or probated on the SA forums (for a reason- to hold at bay the stupidity of the Internet).

Then stick around. This is by far the best automotive forum on the Internet (mostly because there's no bullshit tolerated)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Jackshaft posted:

If you came here from a search, please please please read the forums rules when you get a chance. It's fairly easy to get banned or probated on the SA forums (for a reason- to hold at bay the stupidity of the Internet).

I have just read them, thank you. One thing that I don't see is regarding links to other forums. Sometimes I find useful information elsewhere and don't mind using those as reference links. One forum I frequent has a strange rule of 'do not link to another forum, ever' rule. I don't see that listed so I guess it does not apply as long as it's in context?

It's surprising how many different saab forums there are, and how.. quiet they all are.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
We maintain quite a few links to other forums / resources - I'm not sure why anyone would make a rule like that, but there you go.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

http://speedparts.se/shop/prod/res_dekaler_och_emblem.shtml

Site is based in Sweden but I think they ship internationally.

Four Banger posted:

Well I did it...

Congratulations, hope you'll like it :neckbeard:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

sigtrap posted:

We maintain quite a few links to other forums / resources - I'm not sure why anyone would make a rule like that, but there you go.

There are a lot of paranoid, insular forums that absolutely shriek with rage at any sort of competition.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Is there some sort of magic place to get a 99-02' Saab 9-3 high pressure power steering line? I've looked around and they're apparently the rarest part on earth right now. I'm still considering a Saab with a leaky high pressure hose and I'm starting to think it might just be easier to go out to the local hydraulic shop and get some sort of universal kit.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Ok, guys. I need your help. Ironically, I started this thread with a silver 900 and then sold it. Now I'm back on the chopping block in the market for another one. I'll give you the info on this, and some pics, then I need you to tell me whether to buy or not. Surprisingly, I already have the wife's go ahead. :hawaaaafap: The stipulation? This is to be my last gently caress-around car. Like, ever.

It's a 1988 SAAB 900 S sedan. I know, the hatches are cooler, but there's something endearing about a car shaped like a bowler hat. At least it's a manual. She's silver with red interior, got alloy rims and about 165k on the clock. He put on an aftermarket cd player, magnaflow exhaust and some wacky cold air intake mod. Total cost: $500 USD.

The bad: he says it uses some oil (I thought all 900s did for rustproofing, amirite?), needs either a new wheel bearing or cv joint, has literally 2 spots of rust (to be pictured) and also needs a new alternator. Whelp, at least I saved some parts from my old 900, including an alternator. I'm going to take it in to get tested. I also have a replacement antenna mast, heater core, some random hoses and a few air mass meters. I would have to get there early and replace the alternator on the spot to have a chance of driving it home an hour and 15 minutes away.

Here's some pictures (please note, sorta big images):

Face shot.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Angle shot.

'Ello, what's this? A whale tail?

Pretty nice interior.

drat ricers all doing poo poo...

Oh poo poo, cancer.

There you have it. Now I'll wait for some semi-anonymous internet dudes to tell me how to spend my money.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 13, 2010

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Yeah, some forums actually BAN you for even linking to another forum. It's insane. I usually try to walk the tightrope since we have so few useful resources that aren't expensive or impossible to attain as a work-on-it-yourselfer.

8ender posted:

Is there some sort of magic place to get a 99-02' Saab 9-3 high pressure power steering line?

Check here for your part number. You should be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. I don't know about finding them local to you, but they can be found relatively easily if you can wait a week.

Francis Baconator posted:

There you have it. Now I'll wait for some semi-anonymous internet dudes to tell me how to spend my money.

I probably should not offer advice on this as a new guy, but I've also looked at 900s because of their relative cheapness, and more than a few 900S in my day :).

I'd keep looking.

The manual transmission is nice, but when it takes a crap, it's going to cost you at least that $500 to rebuild it. Check it to see if it wants to grab onto the key when you turn it off - if you have to go R-N-R to get the key out, that's a common issue, but the fix is pretty expensive.

That has decent mileage, but the aftermarket air will negate registering it in different states (this affects registration in California, at least). I've seen cars in better shape with lower mileage for about the same price.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Viggen posted:

I probably should not offer advice on this as a new guy, but I've also looked at 900s because of their relative cheapness, and more than a few 900S in my day :).

I'd keep looking.

The manual transmission is nice, but when it takes a crap, it's going to cost you at least that $500 to rebuild it. Check it to see if it wants to grab onto the key when you turn it off - if you have to go R-N-R to get the key out, that's a common issue, but the fix is pretty expensive.

That has decent mileage, but the aftermarket air will negate registering it in different states (this affects registration in California, at least). I've seen cars in better shape with lower mileage for about the same price.
Yeah, I wasn't totally sure on what to do, yet. The jury is still out, actually. The poo poo of it is, I won't know how it runs until I get my alternator on, which is sort of a point of no return. Though the guy said he would be interested in buying my part off of me. Also, I live in ND, so I could drive around a 2 stroke SAAB with impunity if I wanted. :haw:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Also, I live in ND, so I could drive around a 2 stroke SAAB with impunity if I wanted. :haw:

So, you can't even jump it/get it running until you do work on it? Sounds like a great investment. Run, dammit!

If you end up with a herd of angry bees - say a 96, you drat well better post it here! :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

AI respects knowledge, not postcount or reg date. That might sound rather conceited, but if you know what you're talking about, no-one's going to call you out for just wading right in.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

So its looking like the 99' 9-3 is more likely now. The guy has agreed to sell it for $900, which means that I have a $1500-2000 budget for the clutch, power steering line, and other improvements.

A couple questions:

Since this is a 99' I'm assuming it has the B204 and doesn't suffer from the sludging problems?

How bad would it be to run it out of power steering fluid attempting to get it home? The seller mentions its "hard to turn" right now.

Anything else I should really look out for?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

8ender posted:

Since this is a 99' I'm assuming it has the B204 and doesn't suffer from the sludging problems?

As far as I understand it, no. You lucky bastard.

8ender posted:

Anything else I should really look out for?

If it's anything like my 2000 9-3 then the lamp control box might be prone to glitches which may cause your highbeams not to function properly (one or both may not work), though that should be easily fixed with some simple soldering. And I assume your SID is dead or dying?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So joy of joys, today when I was out driving the airbag warning light randomly came on. This better not be expensive.

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So joy of joys, today when I was out driving the airbag warning light randomly came on. This better not be expensive.

I bet you good money it's the driver side airbag, and it's just the stupid 'ring' coupling that the buttons for the radio, horn, and the airbag uses to get power from the column to the steering wheel.

I just ignore it... The message will go away with time if the ring "fixes" itself (something like 5 or 10 start/stops without the error again).

If you really want to clear it you have to find someone with a TECH-2, I'm going to take the wheel off and explore fixing it someday.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Alright, I'll be tooling around a bit for the next few days and see what happens. Fingers are crossed, I kinda panicked when the warning light came on since I won't be able to pony up for any major repairs on my brittle student loan economy.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Problem 1:
I own a 2000 Viggen with 108k on her. I purchased the car in 06 with 86k, soon after I had the PCV ver.3 installed, the headgasket replaced, and checked out for sludge. Everything is a-ok. It currently has a Genuine Saab 3" DP and a cone style air filter (not my idea). I change the oil every 3-4k with Mobil 1 0-40. I know its too frequent, but I barely drive it, especially now that I bike to work and I thought oil has a usable life(?).

To the 'problem'. Since I've owned the car it's made a particular noise. When I'm off the accelerator and the car is in gear it makes a whining sound, kind of like a spinning chain. I thought it was the timing chain but it doesn't make the sound at idle at start up and never really goes away as the car warms up, both things people say that happen with an old chain. Could it be something else in the car?

I plan on checking the chain guide within the month, the 2.3 is the same procedure and tolerance as the 2.0, correct? The plug and tensioner is right behind the accessory belt on the passenger side of the engine bay?

Problem 2:
Theres about 3/4 inch of play in the clutch pedal before there is any resistance. The grip point is therefore pretty close to the floor. I'm used to this, as its been that way since I've owned it but I have access to a garage for next month and I want to make good use of it. From what I understand the clutch and brake system are one, so I should bleed the brakes (need to install new rotors anyways so it would be a good time to do it) and then find the clutch bleeder and do that too, or is this a problem in the clutch cable that, as far as I know, has never been replaced? IIRC the clutch cable is auto adjusting?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mcqueen posted:

Problem 1:
I own a 2000 Viggen with 108k on her. I purchased the car in 06 with 86k, soon after I had the PCV ver.3 installed, the headgasket replaced, and checked out for sludge. Everything is a-ok. It currently has a Genuine Saab 3" DP and a cone style air filter (not my idea). I change the oil every 3-4k with Mobil 1 0-40. I know its too frequent, but I barely drive it, especially now that I bike to work and I thought oil has a usable life(?).

V3 is known to suck oil right out of the crankcase. They did get up to revision 6, which would have been around 2005/2006. I'd suggest checking that, since v3 did more harm than good to several folks - but the viggen is not as prone to sludging as say, a 235E.

quote:

To the 'problem'. Since I've owned the car it's made a particular noise. When I'm off the accelerator and the car is in gear it makes a whining sound, kind of like a spinning chain.

Mine does this too. I just ignore it.

quote:

I plan on checking the chain guide within the month, the 2.3 is the same procedure and tolerance as the 2.0, correct? The plug and tensioner is right behind the accessory belt on the passenger side of the engine bay?

I don't have an answer for this. I believe so, but I'm not sure. Going to go look at a car over the weekend that's junked up so maybe I'll be able to look inside.

quote:

Problem 2:
Theres about 3/4 inch of play in the clutch pedal before there is any resistance. The grip point is therefore pretty close to the floor. I'm used to this, as its been that way since I've owned it but I have access to a garage for next month and I want to make good use of it. From what I understand the clutch and brake system are one, so I should bleed the brakes (need to install new rotors anyways so it would be a good time to do it) and then find the clutch bleeder and do that too, or is this a problem in the clutch cable that, as far as I know, has never been replaced? IIRC the clutch cable is auto adjusting?

The stock is auto-adjusting. It may just be worn out. I've known people who have blown their OEM at 45k. It's kind of difficult to diagnose over the internet. Worst case, I'd get a new kit, but not without playing with it first.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Mcqueen posted:

Problem 1:
Since I've owned the car it's made a particular noise. When I'm off the accelerator and the car is in gear it makes a whining sound, kind of like a spinning chain. I thought it was the timing chain but it doesn't make the sound at idle at start up and never really goes away as the car warms up, both things people say that happen with an old chain. Could it be something else in the car?
Is it only in certain gear(s) or all gears? I have a whine from the transmission in 4th gear which I think is from a worn bearing due to low fluid level at some point. Check the fluid level and check for leaks around the output shafts. If it is a more irregular sound though, then I doubt this is it.

Mcqueen posted:

Problem 2:
You mention bleeding but also cable adjustments. The clutch is hydraulic, so there is no cable involved. Try bleeding it to see if it improves.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Problem 2:

First of all, jealous to the core - you own my dream car. Secondly, I'm not 100% up on 9-3's but judging from your description it sounds like you have air in your hydraulic clutch system. As long as it's not getting worse and you're not grinding gears as they're engaged then the only damage this can do is general annoyance. If the grip point is so far down the peddle that you're grinding gears, you need a clutch bleed asap. As Mario pointed out, there is no cable involved here. I've bleed the clutch on my 9000 Aero a few times and if your 9-3 is similar at all which I suspect it would be, the clutch and the brakes do share a reservoir but are separate systems from there onwards, meaning you won't have to bleed your brakes at all. Just hook up a pressure bleeder to the reservoir and open your clutch master bleed nipple. If you don't have a pressure bleeder there are a few Macgyver home-rigs you can make instead, for instance out a bicycle tyre. Let me know if you want more information on that.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Wow, great info, thanks.

I was unaware they changed to hydro clutch systems so early. Do you know where that nipple might be hiding? I have one of those motive power bleeders, can I just hook that up to the reservoir and bleed away?

As far as engine noises go, its in all the gears. The rear main seal is weeping a bit but I didn't want to gently caress with that if i didn't absolutely need to. I'll check the level when I start work on it. Considering it's been singing away for the last 20k I figured it was A-OK.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Now I don't know if it because of the turbo, or if the PO upgraded the exhaust, but my God my 9-5 has the most beautiful sound I've ever heard from a four banger. It's throaty and deep, I'd even say it's sexy. Is this something with all 9-5s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Four Banger posted:

Now I don't know if it because of the turbo, or if the PO upgraded the exhaust, but my God my 9-5 has the most beautiful sound I've ever heard from a four banger. It's throaty and deep, I'd even say it's sexy. Is this something with all 9-5s?

It's likely the exhaust. I've heard 9-5s that sound like whistles (not whistletips) from their tiny turbos with stock exhaust - these I've found tend not to have the turbo pressure gauge. I assume they did this because of the difference between the turbos offered at the time, and being too lazy(?) to reprogram for them. I've also heard some that sound like 'pony eaters.' You can actually get a pretty good rumble from the 9-3s, too, with a proper setup. I heard a Turbo X once (v6) and man, it was like sex. :)

I finally got my replacement SID. Now I can see the 'tens' in the minutes, and I'm no longer making MF'G.