Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Viggen posted:

poo poo, indeed. Sure looks like you kept it in beautiful shape.

Shouldn't you have my avatar? Are you my doppleganger!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I trimmed my fleet of cars down today. Gave the Mazda truck away to a friend. Also, got a key cut for the Bronco in order to try and get both doors to unlock consistently, but the new key is worse than the stock one.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

onezero posted:

Shouldn't you have my avatar? Are you my doppleganger!?

It did not give me the option of doing so when I signed up. :( Yeah, I posted mine and they were pretty close, down to the same color code.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Slapped this sucker on. Living in the South, I cannot wait for the hate and vandalism.

I live in the south too but the liberals in my town outnumber the rednecks. It's odd.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Changed my brakes for the first time and it only took about 5x as long as I hoped, rather than the usual 10. Three of the pads still had a few mm material left but the 4th was all the way down to the metal in one spot, I think the caliper had seized up slightly so I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

In related news, I now have a 9mm socket stuck on a formerly 10mm bleed screw. :ughh:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You Are A Elf posted:

Towed it to my sister's house :( + no spark stuff

Wasn't the cap or rotor, but they needed replacement anyway so that's a good maintenance deed done. Tested the coil and distributor module which both checked out, then saw that one of the two leads coming from the pick-up coil broke off. $20 later and only an hour of work and the engine fired right up, but I noticed that it was running just a little rough. Then I noticed I had disconnected the #1 spark plug wire to check for spark and forgot to put it back on :downs: Hooked it back up, adjusted the timing and I have never heard this car purr so smooth before at idle. It's now back home in its cozy carport.

I'm surprised the wires coming off the pick-up coil lasted for 31 years, what with the constant moving back and forth with the vacuum advance and the Arizona heat. They don't make parts like that anymore.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

jammyozzy posted:

I think the caliper had seized up slightly so I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Unless you own something really exotic, the caliper is probably not very expensive, nor hard to replace, shoulda just replaced it while you were at it and had the car jacked up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Completely failed to diagnose why the '92 Jimmy I bought last May is making a loud clunk when turning the wheel to full lock. There's no play in the tie rods, and the half shaft on the side that's making the noise looks almost brand new.

Oh, and I replaced the radiator cap. Go me!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

thelightguy posted:

Completely failed to diagnose why the '92 Jimmy I bought last May is making a loud clunk when turning the wheel to full lock. There's no play in the tie rods, and the half shaft on the side that's making the noise looks almost brand new.

Forward/backward play in one of the control arm bushings?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The sprinkler system at my condo complex has been spraying shitwater all over my car, leaving a residue that will not come off. I've washed it numerous times, nothing has worked.

Click here for the full 1600x957 image.

So I got some scratch remover/polish. I did the windows by hand, now I can see properly. I'll take it to my dad's at some point and get the rest of the car with a buffer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FogHelmut posted:

The sprinkler system at my condo complex has been spraying shitwater all over my car, leaving a residue that will not come off. I've washed it numerous times, nothing has worked.

Click here for the full 1600x957 image.

So I got some scratch remover/polish. I did the windows by hand, now I can see properly. I'll take it to my dad's at some point and get the rest of the car with a buffer.

Try Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Make sure it's wet. You'll be amazed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I did, actually. Did nothing. I don't know what this stuff is. I've used car wash, windex, 409, Kaboom!, magic eraser. I don't know what CLR would do to my paint, so I'm not attempting that. The only thing to work is the scratch remover. I guess it needs something abrasive to get it off.

edit - vvvvvvvvv Vinegar, there's an idea.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

meatpimp posted:

Magic Erasers are abrasive, like micro-Comet. Definitely try in an inconspicuous spot first. I wash my car with a cup of vinegar in a gallon of water to get rid of thick water spots. It even takes off the thick ones that catch a fingernail.

I always soap wash then wax afterwards.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
CLR diluted 8:1 with distilled water in a spraybottle and OOOO steel wool is marvelous for taking off water spots.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I did, actually. Did nothing. I don't know what this stuff is. I've used car wash, windex, 409, Kaboom!, magic eraser. I don't know what CLR would do to my paint, so I'm not attempting that. The only thing to work is the scratch remover. I guess it needs something abrasive to get it off.

Why haven't you bottled some and gotten it tested? There's no way it's healthy if it's this crazy on glass and clearcoat. I think the condo people owe you on this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

I think the condo people owe you on this.

"You shouldn't have parked your car so close to the sprinkler system."

They're either running the sprinklers off of a really bad well (bad as in there's some chemical plant/gas well/mine nearby leeching poo poo into the water table) or they have some kind of automatic fertilizer injection system plugged into it.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 18, 2010

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

zamin posted:

Ordered a new and bigger carb for my '88 Accord LX. Been having gasket issues, choke issues, vacuum issues, etc, so I figure if I'm going to spend all this time and money fixing a lovely carb that's old enough to drink, I might as well use that time and money and get some more power and a lot more reliability. Upgrading to the Weber 32/36 DGEV from the OEM Keihin ~22/~30. Can't wait for it to get here so I can install it and play around with it. :dance:

This is my first "upgrade" on the car (well, any car). I'm hoping it doesn't get addicting, but I'm sure it will.

Finally got the time to install it, and goddamn is this thing a lot better than the stock one. I've still gotta properly tune it and make some adjustments to my throttle linkage, but it got dark and I have to work in the morning.

I also left part of my old carb in there because the top hat's connected to a coolant line that I have no way to plug until tomorrow. Once I get the time, I can now remove about 20 pounds of poo poo from inside the engine bay.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Why haven't you bottled some and gotten it tested? There's no way it's healthy if it's this crazy on glass and clearcoat. I think the condo people owe you on this.

To be honest, I should have, but it hasn't happened since the beginning of August. I completely missed the opportunity to get a sample. It's come off the windshield where the wipers go, but not anywhere else.

Geoj posted:

"You shouldn't have parked your car so close to the sprinkler system."

They're either running the sprinklers off of a really bad well (bad as in there's some chemical plant/gas well/mine nearby leeching poo poo into the water table) or they have some kind of automatic fertilizer injection system plugged into it.

Right, these people are notoriously difficult to get any information out of. I'll be on it if it happens again. I'm not even sure why they ran those sprinklers in the first place. There's no grass or flowers or anything there, it's a mulch area with nothing but trees.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

loving hell. First time replacing the alternator and power steering pump on a car. Five hours later, I finally got them both out. It was getting dark so I had to call it quits until next weekend.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I gave it that new car smell
[i am a moron]Construction Adhesive to fix my door card[/i am a moron]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Drove it to work today to find out that I either screwed up the gasket job between my intake manifold and carb adapter plate or I just didn't seal the coolant hole well enough and it's leaking a decent amount (enough to where I can smell it and see it burning off after driving 2 or so miles). So now I get to take the carb off and try it again, this time without having to rush it because I've got tomorrow off.

The good thing about this is that I can see the color of it is almost orange. I'm guessing it's my car's way of telling me that it desperately wants a coolant flush.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Swapped the alternator to see if that was the cause of my lack of starting and still nothing. Just a dull whirring sound. Starting to get annoyed.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

zamin posted:

Drove it to work today to find out that I either screwed up the gasket job between my intake manifold and carb adapter plate or I just didn't seal the coolant hole well enough and it's leaking a decent amount (enough to where I can smell it and see it burning off after driving 2 or so miles). So now I get to take the carb off and try it again, this time without having to rush it because I've got tomorrow off.

After removing a ton of crap that my car didn't need, and then taking off my carb, found out my gasket job and sealing job were both good. Could have came from a lot of other places, don't know where, but everything is sealed up and just took it for a ~10 mile test drive and there are no leaks anywhere. The barrels sound kind of asthmatic when I give it throttle, like it's running too lean, but that's more than likely a problem in tuning and something I can deal with.

I've got maybe 20-25lbs of junk now sitting in my back seat waiting to be thrown away. It's amazing how much space there actually is in the engine bay once you get rid of all of the vacuum lines. The only thing I have to do now is toy around with my throttle linkage since the pedal's a bit loose and I'm not getting the kind of response I want, delete the charcoal canister by routing the line into my air cleaner, and figure out what in the hell I'm going to do with the tube coming off my exhaust manifold that used to be for my TAC valve on the old airbox.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Replaced my dead (dying) SID finally. Oil change. Pad check.. maybe 8k left on the rears.. not that I really need those. :downs:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Waffleimages is working for me again, so here's that picture of my camera mount I put together last week.

Yesterday was my first autocross, that is, track-day on pavement rather than ice or dirt. So I guess what I did to my ride was abuse it, for much fun.
I used the camera mount for my crappy video camera, and took some vids. Here's run 3, notable for the understeering and unheeded wisdom from Yoda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DbDwsFYhW8

There were 15 racers yesterday, and I was the slowest - consistently. Not only did I post the slowest time of the day (about 1:46) on my second run (first run I went off course :downs: ), but mine was the slowest time in run 3 and run 4, despite my improvement of nearly 5 seconds from run 2 to run 4.

Other vehicles of note yesterday included this tire-smoking Chevy Malibu

a Nissan 240sx with some fun body roll

an Isuzu Impulse (it'd been ages since I'd seen one)

and my personal favourite, a 1982 Toyota Corolla that beat me by 0.5 second on the final (and fastest for both of us) run.

After we got started, this very nice Skyline (GTR) showed up, owned by the ball-cap-wearing douchebag I've highlighted. When asked about his plans for the car, he replied "Nothing mechanical, yet. I want to really rice it up first. Body kit, lights, and yeah, that black cherry paint." I don't really mind the paint, but he's the first person I've ever met who actually wants to make a car more rice-y. :smugissar:

So, I suck, but I had a blast and figured out what needs doing on my car next (tires).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ExecuDork posted:

After we got started, this very nice Skyline (GTR) showed up, owned by the ball-cap-wearing douchebag I've highlighted. When asked about his plans for the car, he replied "Nothing mechanical, yet. I want to really rice it up first. Body kit, lights, and yeah, that black cherry paint." I don't really mind the paint, but he's the first person I've ever met who actually wants to make a car more rice-y. :smugissar:
Nice image name, and yes what a giant fuckhead. That car looks perfect. Give it some tint and a wash and thats it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

Nice image name, and yes what a giant fuckhead. That car looks perfect. Give it some tint and a wash and thats it.

He's got 276bhp and he couldn't make it to the track on time. Gaaah!!!

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
The brick got some new strut bearings and a lower steering joint, I had been putting it off for months and now finally my car doesn't wander around the interstate like a wino.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Washed and waxed the Bimmer this evening. Can't wait to see her in the morning light, I'm such an obsessive waxer that I had to finish up in the garage. I promise pictures tomorrow.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Beach Bum posted:

Washed and waxed the Bimmer this evening. Can't wait to see her in the morning light, I'm such an obsessive waxer that I had to finish up in the garage. I promise pictures tomorrow.

I wax in the garage all the time. It's just too hot to wax a black car in the sun, but I have to use a big worklight or I miss spots.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ordered a new set of wheels (that will sit in the garage until spring) and traded my current wheels for a full detail and some touch-up work.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

onezero posted:

Today, I did nothing to my car...but the '96 Jetta that t-boned me sure did a number.

poo poo.

That is the most depressing thin I have seen all week. I hope you can get it fixed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The bottom swaybar linkage bushing melted off on the same side of the car as the loose inner tierod, in the dark, halfway through my delivery route. Every time the shock unloaded, BANG WHUNCH. Scared the loving poo poo out of me the next couple hours until I could park it in a gas station to investigate. I figured whatever it was, I'd just keep driving and if the rack disconnected I'd get good story out of it. :shobon:

To keep it relevant with the thread, I drove my ride like an idiot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

And a photo from work. From left, RB20 S14, SR20 S14, M20B25 E30 (me).

All taken with a Droid X, no snazzy DSLRs here (I loving wish).

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 23, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got another member of the fleet ready for imminent sale. The 93 325iS got its state inspection today, and the sale is supposed to take place on Saturday. 279k miles and it passes inspection with flying colours. This sale will bring the fleet down to a manageable 4 vehicles.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beach Bum posted:

You don't belong in this picture, it's clearly a "silly wheels" picture and you are out of place.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Last weekend I put some new mufflers on the car. These combined with my off-road h-pipe makes it a little too loud I think. I had trouble getting the band clamp as tight as I wanted to so I think there's a small leak contributing to the noise.

Click here for the full 800x598 image.

Saved a decent amount of weight.

Click here for the full 799x743 image.

Gonna take it to the strip this Friday and see if they make any performance difference. Seat of the pants says maybe a little but who knows. I'm hoping IOwnCalculus shows up so I can see his truck.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Didn't take any photos, but tossed some tyte JDMu modzzzz on my LGT. Specifically the ZeroSports Cool Action II. It's so tyte :rice:, the instructions weren't even in english! It's probably going to give not much more than a placebo effect, but it was a gift and, hey if it gives a benefit, so be it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Looks like I sold it, the 1997 accord sedan that is. I'm now halfway to buying toaster pastry's 240d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Beach Bum posted:

Every time I see a picture of an awesome E30 in AI I die a little inside because I want one so badly! Amazing!