Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Andrigaar posted:

Because of this thread I got cracking the first ASoIaF book finally.

70/670 pages in and so far it was tame with lots and lots of internal feelings and thought processes. Like Dune actually. I was thinking this book wouldn't go anywhere as treacherous as Berserk until page 72 and the line "The things I do for love" appeared. What followed made me go :aaaaa:

Now to wait for it to get rapetastic since this will be my main distraction while the current arc of Berserk takes its sweet time.

Good job, you've managed to find a distraction for a series that is barely creeping along with a series that will literally never be finished. You must have lost your head, how blind can you be???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Scoobi posted:

Good job, you've managed to find a distraction for a series that is barely creeping along with a series that will literally never be finished. You must have lost your head, how blind can you be???

I see the, err I guess irony, behind it all has escaped you. Still, both are good reads in development hell.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Can someone please tell me what the non-acronym title is for that manga? I like berserk and need something else to read. I tried google..

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They're talking about A Song of Ice and Fire, which is a terrible series for colossal neckbeards.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Wow, sure does look like it... I know the type. Sorry I thought it was a manga. Can I take this opportunity to request other manga titles that are enjoyable if you enjoyed Berserk?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you want swordfights and fantastic art try Vagabond. Not full of demon-cleaving though.

If you want monster cleaving with giant swords and kind of weird art that gets better as it goes, try Claymore.

If you want a guy with an incredibly tragic backstory fighting unbeatable monsters that have taken over the land try Shin Angyo Onshi.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004

Sindai posted:

If you want swordfights and fantastic art try Vagabond. Not full of demon-cleaving though.

If you want monster cleaving with giant swords and kind of weird art that gets better as it goes, try Claymore.

If you want a guy with an incredibly tragic backstory fighting unbeatable monsters that have taken over the land try Shin Angyo Onshi.

Hmm, well the only one on there that I haven't read is the last one. Sounds pretty good, I'll be checking that out and see how it looks and reads.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
Ahahaha

"Yeah people who read series X are god damned neck beard nerds"

-posts in Anime subforum on an Online forum that you have to pay for- -Is also mod of said subforum-

Just sayin' bro. Pots, kettles, etc.

Gotta say though, if the war time relationships and eventual mind fucks of Berserk are what drew you in, you could do worse than a Song of Ice and Fire. There are some pretty real similarities. Otherwise I'd agree with the Claymore recommendation, especially as it finally it might finally be coming to a conclusion.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
No way man, fantasy books are for huge nerds, I only read manga :smugbert:

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
If you want more cute girls doing cute things might I recommend K-ON. It's better paced, too!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RipVTide posted:

Just sayin' bro. Pots, kettles, etc.

You misunderstand; I'm not saying that fantasy novels and those that read them are neckbeards.

I'm saying that A Song of Ice and Fire is. Because it's bad.

But oh wait, apparently I can't think a series is shoddy trash because of manga ~ lol ~

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

They're talking about A Song of Ice and Fire, which is a terrible series for colossal neckbeards.

It is? :smith:

I was just looking for a modern fantasy series after I finished reading The Black Company.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nah, it's pretty good for modern fantasy. Not like it's the Greatest Series Ever or anything.

Though if you liked the Black Company you should probably just read the rest of Glen Cook's fantasy. He's done a couple of other series and they're all basically in the same style.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

I was just looking for a modern fantasy series after I finished reading The Black Company.

Goon stereotype cause it's kind of the GBS version of Twilight or Harry Potter. I think the last book barn thread on it was well into the hundreds. Nothing wrong with liking it or anything, but a lot of people on SA can't shut up about it!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
ASoFaI is good and interesting, but the author blows and is a fat poo poo. No denying the books own, tho they are on a larger scale than Berserk. Its the same interesting stuff, with a fairly fleshed out world, blah blah blah.

Its becoming an HBO show so go ahead and read it.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I would like to go ahead and recommend Eden: It's an Endless World! as well. Its a strange blend of Ghost In The Shell, The Godfather, and Code Geass with all of the rape, gore, and nihilism you expect from Berserk.

It's also published by Dark Horse although you can probably only order online due to its low sales :(

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Funny someone mentioned the Black Company because I love that series for its darkness and low/high hybrid magic setting. Maybe reading the Black Company is why I like Berserk so much.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Vinland Saga rules but it is monthly so that kinda sucks. The art is amazing though. There is some short American comic about Vikings that was pretty good but I don't remember the name.

aping the west
Jun 7, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vinland Saga rules but it is monthly so that kinda sucks. The art is amazing though. There is some short American comic about Vikings that was pretty good but I don't remember the name.

Are you talking about Northlanders? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northlanders Love that comic.

aping the west fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 3, 2010

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah that poo poo rules.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Zorak posted:

You misunderstand; I'm not saying that fantasy novels and those that read them are neckbeards.

I'm saying that A Song of Ice and Fire is. Because it's bad.

But oh wait, apparently I can't think a series is shoddy trash because of manga ~ lol ~

Well, I'm pretty much an anti-otaku and hate anime. The only anime I've ever liked was Berserk, and, obviously it's the only manga I've ever bothered to read.

I loved the first three books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Haven't gotten around to reading the fourth.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

So it does look like it's going on break again, for a little bit anyway.

I think every "indefinite" break (i.e no date for next chapter at all) he's taken in the last few years has been at least 3 months if not usually longer.

There was a point where every so often the date for the next chapter would be given but 1-2 months away. That was cool, because at least then you knew when to expect a chapter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think every "indefinite" break (i.e no date for next chapter at all) he's taken in the last few years has been at least 3 months if not usually longer.

There was a point where every so often the date for the next chapter would be given but 1-2 months away. That was cool, because at least then you knew when to expect a chapter.

Actually, it's weird, sometimes not giving a date = see you next issue. When he gave a date, it's just when it's two issues away instead of one.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

Actually, it's weird, sometimes not giving a date = see you next issue. When he gave a date, it's just when it's two issues away instead of one.

Find me more than one example in the last 5 years where there's no date and Beserk is next issue and I'll believe that one.

I do recall one time recently but the next chapter box wasnt there at all, there was no comment.

Whenever it says "See you next time" or whatever in recent years it's always a long rear end break.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

Find me more than one example in the last 5 years where there's no date and Beserk is next issue and I'll believe that one.

I do recall one time recently but the next chapter box wasnt there at all, there was no comment.

Literally the first chapter of the past chain they didn't announce the date.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well, I just finished the first book of that Song of Ice and Fire series. It was sorely lacking in foreground rape and murder, entertaining as it was. Most of the pillaging of women and town was observed from afar, instead of Berserk style eyes bursting from exploding heads and crossing panels.

There was lots of rape and death on the sides of the story, but here's hoping the next three books can sate my urge for gruesome fantasy violence on horseback while Berserk takes another vacation... or just gets too artistically complicated to be drawn more than 1 page a week.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Andrigaar posted:

Well, I just finished the first book of that Song of Ice and Fire series. It was sorely lacking in foreground rape and murder, entertaining as it was. Most of the pillaging of women and town was observed from afar, instead of Berserk style eyes bursting from exploding heads and crossing panels.

There was lots of rape and death on the sides of the story, but here's hoping the next three books can sate my urge for gruesome fantasy violence on horseback while Berserk takes another vacation... or just gets too artistically complicated to be drawn more than 1 page a week.

The things I do for love.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Andrigaar posted:

There's plenty of murder and pillaging in the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (or the excellent comics adaptation from Dark Horse) and of course the inspiration for Berserk, Guin Saga. :eng101:

Haydin
Apr 15, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson should be what you're looking for. Erikson and Glen Cook (Black Company author) kind of have a thing going where they have long quotes on the back of each other's books insisting that the other author is a way better writer than them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Haydin posted:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson should be what you're looking for. Erikson and Glen Cook (Black Company author) kind of have a thing going where they have long quotes on the back of each other's books insisting that the other author is a way better writer than them.

Caveat: It's gonna be a while before you really know what's going on

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
For a second there I thought this was a Berserk thread in TBB and got really excited.

drat :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hung Yuri posted:

For a second there I thought this was a Berserk thread in TBB and got really excited.

drat :(

What, you got a problem with us looking for consoling in other books?

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Great. Thanks Namco Bandai, for announcing another Idolmaster during TGS, and to further crush our hopes and dreams.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-the-idolmaster/704852

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

quote:

Watch these moe maidens dance just for you!

Ugh.

Also thanks for making me thing there was actual Berserk news.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

YodaTFK posted:

Ugh.

Also thanks for making me thing there was actual Berserk news.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Here is some actual Berserk news. :black101:

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
:black101: Guts in the Underworld go.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if it will have another anime original ending, I'm not really a fan of the claymore anime ending.

Now that I think about it remember those "leaked" berserk anime remake pictures, maybe that was a legitimate leak?

Reminder:

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2009/08/18/ask-john-is-new-berserk-anime-in-production/

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if it will have another anime original ending, I'm not really a fan of the claymore anime ending.

They could easily end it at the Eclipse again, or at the end of the Tower arc.

Or just set up an OVA format that goes almost as slowly as Miura. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
^That is what I am dreading. Reminds me of Hellsing Ultimate. So loving slow.

This should be awesome, and I am getting my hopes up. I really hope we get all of volumes 1-3, and 15 to the newest stuff included. I'm not hopeful for a good ending, but I'd love to see it stay faithful to the manga for as long as possible.