Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Mail sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Ok, response was better than I thought. All the extra Kodachrome has been claimed. I replied to all the emails so you'll know what's going on.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
E-mail sent as well :3:

edit: f;b.

I mentioned it in the email, but might as well post for all: I shot some K25 (expired in 1993 or something) two summers ago and sat on it for like a year and a half before developing it, looked fine. I'm not sure if the film was ever refrigerated, for most of its time with me it wasn't, and it spent two months rattling around in a saddlebag in tropical heat at that.

High speed film is another story, I bought a bunch of slightly stale Natura 1600 a long time ago and the stuff I shot earlier looks a lot better than the more recent results. Wound up throwing out the last two rolls, although by that time I had mostly switched to B&W.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

email sent from me too!

e: drat, too late I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is what I get for deciding to read my photo threads later in the day :v:

But congrats everyone. Fall is coming and I bet it'll look real nice on the 'chrome.

Captain Briney
Jan 5, 2009

This is my life partner and crappy upholstery.
I've been shooting Tri-X 400 on a Pentax SF10 for about a week and a half now, and I really love it. I started developing two nights ago, and tonight I developed 2 rolls of 36 exposure using Gamma Plus. It's a lot of fun, and now I'm just waiting on the scanner that I got off of amazon so I can scan my film in.

I have a couple idiotic questions. You can't use developer more than once, right? Or is it just certain types? (I think you can use diafine more than once but I'm not sure)

I'm thinking about buying a Pentax K1000 and a meter, because it seems like a really great camera, and I sort of want to toy around with a non-metered camera. I'm also considering buying a 50mm 1.2 with it. I have two newish pentax lenses, a 28-70 f/3.5 and an 80-200 f/3.8. They are both autofocus, and take great pictures. Obviously they won't autofocus on the K1000, but will they mount properly, and would I be able to shoot with them on the K1000?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Ew, don't use developer more than once. :(

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Captain Briney posted:

I'm thinking about buying a Pentax K1000 and a meter, because it seems like a really great camera, and I sort of want to toy around with a non-metered camera. I'm also considering buying a 50mm 1.2 with it. I have two newish pentax lenses, a 28-70 f/3.5 and an 80-200 f/3.8. They are both autofocus, and take great pictures. Obviously they won't autofocus on the K1000, but will they mount properly, and would I be able to shoot with them on the K1000?

If they have actual f-stops they will work. I just did a real life check with a
28-90 FA lens on a K1000 and it works, the lens I have came off of a ZX-60. Focuses and stops down. Metering might be a problem.

Captain Briney
Jan 5, 2009

This is my life partner and crappy upholstery.
That's what I thought about developer. Thanks.

Gnomad posted:

If they have actual f-stops they will work. I just did a real life check with a
28-90 FA lens on a K1000 and it works, the lens I have came off of a ZX-60. Focuses and stops down. Metering might be a problem.

They do, the lenses are (to the best of my knowledge) 17-18 years old. Why would metering be a problem?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

K1000 does have a meter, and in my experience, its a pretty decent one. But it's still all manual exposure, so you don't have to listen to it.

re: reusing developer, IMO its usually fine to do it a few times, but its really hard to tell when it's about to get exhausted. You could do several rolls that turn out great, and then all of a sudden, you end up with one that looks horribly underexposed. I'll generally use HC-110 3 or 4 times, and that hasn't given me any problems. If the roll is important to you, mix a new batch.

vv what I'm doing currently hasn't caused me any problems. I used to re-use developer a lot more, then got a feel for its limitations. If using a batch 3-4 times (or for a week, whichever happens sooner) ever causes issues, I'll change my methods. To me, it's not the end of the world if one roll comes out underdeveloped.

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 16, 2010

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Developer is really cheap...why chance it? Do you want to go out and spend time taking shots only to cheap out on something that may cost $1 or less?

Use Rodinal, HC-110, Diafine, or Xtol. These are all cheap developers. a 5L batch of Xtol mixed 1:1 or 1:2 will last a long, long time. I've never actually finished a batch before I have tossed it due to age.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

killabyte posted:

Developer is really cheap...why chance it? Do you want to go out and spend time taking shots only to cheap out on something that may cost $1 or less?

Use Rodinal, HC-110, Diafine, or Xtol. These are all cheap developers. a 5L batch of Xtol mixed 1:1 or 1:2 will last a long, long time. I've never actually finished a batch before I have tossed it due to age.

Says you. I go through XTOL like Kool-Aid.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

killabyte posted:

I've heard that you can make DIY C-41 processing much more economical if you freeze the chemicals each time after you use them. It doesn't seem to hurt them at all and it stops age degradation. Probably not worth it for b+w developers, though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Captain Briney posted:

(I think you can use diafine more than once but I'm not sure)

Since Diafine is a two-part developer, you can reuse the liquids. You soak the film in Part A for minimum 3 minutes, allowing the film to absorb it. Pour the Part A back into your storage container then pour in Part B. Part B only reacts with the Part A in the film, after three more minutes you pour the leftover Part B back into its storage container.

It's like MAGIC!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You should reuse diafine.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

HPL posted:

Says you. I go through XTOL like Kool-Aid.

So do I. But at, what, $8 for 5 liters of it, I'm not going to risk reusing it. Especially when all my tests are done with a 1:1 solution.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Ew, don't use developer more than once. :(

I used to re-use D76 stock, which is fine. I don't bother with HC-110 though.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've heard that you can make DIY C-41 processing much more economical if you freeze the chemicals each time after you use them. It doesn't seem to hurt them at all and it stops age degradation. Probably not worth it for b+w developers, though.

Hmmm....maybe I'll mix up that C41 chemistry I got at that yard sale and try it. What's the worst that can happen?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

McMadCow posted:

So do I. But at, what, $8 for 5 liters of it, I'm not going to risk reusing it. Especially when all my tests are done with a 1:1 solution.

I mix it at extremely high dilutions for processing 4x5 in a Combi-Plan tank to prevent uneven development, because the drat thing takes 30 seconds to fill and 30 seconds to drain, which is why it lasts so long.

I pretty much find Xtol to be the best, most versatile developer out there, along with HC-110 being a close 2nd. I hate mixing up the xtol powders though, I always inhale a bunch of it when I pour it out of the bag.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Email sent.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 17, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

killabyte posted:

I mix it at extremely high dilutions for processing 4x5 in a Combi-Plan tank to prevent uneven development, because the drat thing takes 30 seconds to fill and 30 seconds to drain, which is why it lasts so long.

I just flip off the lights and pour the developer in/out with the lid off in the dark, and do the rest in daylight. The HP employee who must search LFF on a semi-hourly basis claims it shouldn't make a difference, but...

Combi-plan :argh:

(Still better than tray development)

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Something a little different... I found a film behind a warehouse, just rusted enough I was sure it would be totally fogged. The canister had 'marina' written on it in white out. I almost threw it away but I was so curious I couldn't resist developing it.

FP4 @ 125; 4 Minutes in Ilfosol 3

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009
This is probably a really dumb and obvious question but I'll go ahead anyway.

If you get 5x4 film developed by a lab (C41/E6 so I can't do it at home) what do you take it in?

Do I just leave my film holders/darkslides with them?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

SimonomiS posted:

This is probably a really dumb and obvious question but I'll go ahead anyway.

If you get 5x4 film developed by a lab (C41/E6 so I can't do it at home) what do you take it in?

Do I just leave my film holders/darkslides with them?

I always saved a blackout bag from a used-up box of photo paper and put them in that. Taped up really well, of course. Just ask for it back afterward.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I just gave them the box. I wrote my name on it and taped it closed. They develop it and hand it back in the same box.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

I just gave them the box. I wrote my name on it and taped it closed. They develop it and hand it back in the same box.

Yeah, I mail mine in an empty 4x5 film box, inside ziploc bags to minimize the risk of dust. For the first time, (when I hadn't finished my first box), I asked someone I was buying some other LF stuff from if he could throw in an empty, which I used.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Holy gently caress, I thought the cold light head that came with my Pro-Lab Universal was junk (gives off really uneven light), but as it turns out the bulbs are readily available and only cost like $2 each. :toot:

Realize I need a bunch more gallon jugs for chemistry.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2010

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Zegnar posted:

Something a little different... I found a film behind a warehouse, just rusted enough I was sure it would be totally fogged. The canister had 'marina' written on it in white out. I almost threw it away but I was so curious I couldn't resist developing it.

If you fancy yourself as an eStalker you might consider searching Facebook for local people named Marina and see if you can find her. How old did the film look?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Zegnar posted:

That's kind of awesome. Makes me want to shoot a roll just to toss it out into the world and see if/when anyone finds it.

Are you gonna upload any decent scans of any of the frames?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

pwn posted:

That's kind of awesome. Makes me want to shoot a roll just to toss it out into the world and see if/when anyone finds it.

Are you gonna upload any decent scans of any of the frames?

On a related note, I picked up about eight rolls of free kodachrome (25, 64, 200) that had been bequeathed to a private school's lab... there were another six that had already been shot god knows when, just rolling around in the bag with the other rolls. I'll probably bite the bullet and get those ones developed too once I'm done with the rest.

I wonder, would that theme be worth having a "found photography" thread, or should we keep 'em in here?

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 18, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Got some film back from slideconverter.com. I gave them a bunch of Ektachrome slides and some color negatives (all 35mm). This was my first time shooting film in literally 15 years at least. Was a little disappointed in how some of the photos came out, I'm not sure if it's the camera, the medium, or just me.

Anyway, here are some pictures if you're curious to see the quality of the scans. To me the quality looks... okay. They left the borders around them all, some of them are slightly crooked. I guess that's probably normal. I had them scan it at 4000 pixels not realizing that 4,000 was the smaller end of the dimension, so really they are like 6,000 wide. Too big. Next time I'll just do the regular size.

This cost me $0.49 cents a scan when all was said and done. That's half as much as my local lab wanted so it was still a fairly decent bargain. If I had them done at the regular size it would have been $0.15 cents less so next time I would probably do that.

I didn't upload all of them at the full res because they were really big and it didn't really add anything to the photo. On some of them I trimmed the borders, on others I left them. I still have more to upload but I'll get to them at another time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God drat, you reminded me why I love 160NC, and that I'll have to get off my rear end and try Ekta :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 19, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Mannequin posted:

Got some film back from slideconverter.com. I gave them a bunch of Ektachrome slides and some color negatives (all 35mm). This was my first time shooting film in literally 15 years at least. Was a little disappointed in how some of the photos came out, I'm not sure if it's the camera, the medium, or just me.

Anyway, here are some pictures if you're curious to see the quality of the scans. To me the quality looks... okay. They left the borders around them all, some of them are slightly crooked. I guess that's probably normal. I had them scan it at 4000 pixels not realizing that 4,000 was the smaller end of the dimension, so really they are like 6,000 wide. Too big. Next time I'll just do the regular size.

This cost me $0.49 cents a scan when all was said and done. That's half as much as my local lab wanted so it was still a fairly decent bargain. If I had them done at the regular size it would have been $0.15 cents less so next time I would probably do that.

I didn't upload all of them at the full res because they were really big and it didn't really add anything to the photo. On some of them I trimmed the borders, on others I left them. I still have more to upload but I'll get to them at another time.

some of those are pretty nice, man. that lens is nuts.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
They're really just boring snapshots, but thanks.

edit: goddamnit, I just realized I labeled the pics with the wrong films. :ughh:

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 20, 2010

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Okay, now what? I'm getting a Pentax P30t tomorrow. I got five rolls of this poo poo and barely one roll of inspiration.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dongsmith posted:

Okay, now what? I'm getting a Pentax P30t tomorrow. I got five rolls of this poo poo and barely one roll of inspiration.

Send some to me :]

Edit: how bright is a cold light head supposed to be? Maybe I got a distorted impression from the busted bulb that came with it originally, but it seems pretty darn blinding. OTOH, I guess if it's just that and no condenser lenses it makes sense?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dongsmith posted:

What better way to shoot the last rolls of a dying film format than to photograph things, places, people that are also going the way of the dinosaur?

Or anything red and yellow in equal measure, those look great in kodachrome

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

gently caress. I really need to finish shooting my last roll of Kodachrome and mail it and the other one I shot years ago to Dwayne's before it's too late.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I have one freshie, and one and a half expired. Running out of time :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Three rolls and about three months to go. :-/