Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So what's your guyses ranking of digidistros?

For a long while I've had
1) Steam
2) GOG
3) GamersGate
4) Impulse
5) Everything else...

I guess GG moves up a spot now! :silent:

edit- but just GG, Impulse is still 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've found four more installers going through the random folders of my drive and old archive structures. I started comparing my receipts to what I have though and I'm missing Freespace 1 & 2 of all things :doh:

(Yeah yeah I know we'll supposedly be able to get them next week.)

edit:

final list of missing games:
-Freespace 1 & 2
-Fallout Tactics
-Duke: Manhattan Project
-Outcast

I never even downloaded Fallout Tactics and Outcast heh. Just hadn't gotten around to them.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wonder if this isn't some sort of publicity stunt and they aren't planning to relaunch next week out of beta.

Surely they wouldn't be that callous? But nothing else makes sense. :ohdear:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But there's one thing that makes this seem fishy. They just got Age of Wonders a few days ago, with the other two games coming soon. This isn't a decision you make overnight, this had to have been weeks or months in the making if true. So why would they announce games that are coming soon if they already knew they weren't ever going to be released?

The only thing that could make this make sense to me is big problems at CD Projekt. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Ansob. posted:

I wonder if this isn't some sort of publicity stunt and they aren't planning to relaunch next week out of beta.

Surely they wouldn't be that callous? But nothing else makes sense. :ohdear:

I don't think that making everyone actively dislike you and avoid using your service because it might suddenly shut down is a good way to get publicity.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great, I accidently deleted all my installers a while back. While almost all my games are installed, I only have the instruction manuals still in their zips.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

pyrotek posted:

The only thing that could make this make sense to me is big problems at CD Projekt. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

from their site, they recently (may that is) had to cut their hungarian and czech studios.

really, I only got Fallout 1 and 2 from them, but I'm more worried about the witcher 2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wow, good thing I just downloaded all 60(!) games I bought from them a week ago.

edit: thanks AxeManiac for making me paranoid enough to redownload all my stuff.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2010

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This sucks balls!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Bah, this is what I get for constantly postponing archiving all the games I bought.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wow, good thing I just downloaded all 60(!) games I bought from them a week ago.
I had 33, and possibly because I'm a bit OCD every single one of them was downloaded and stored on my backup HD already, including all of the GOG-exclusive bonus materials. Comes to 21.7 GB, which is only 5 or 6 DVD-R if I want to back them up to discs. That's not too bad, storage wise.

The Machine posted:

So what's your guyses ranking of digidistros?

In my mind Steam and GOG had been tied for first place for a while now.
Impulse was third, but generally only for things not found on Steam or GOG at all. (Stardock games, Jets N Guns)

Everyone else was mostly a distant 'whatever,' with the exception of indie games bought directly from their makers.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Well, that sucks. It's kinda weird that I would be openly worrying about GoG not doing well for the past month but at no point considered downloading backup copies. I lot of the games I actually don't care if I lose as they were impulse purchases that I got bored with 10 minutes after the nostalgia wore off. But games like Divine Divinity - that actually had some improvements like official widescreen support added on - are the ones I wished I grabbed.

Despite their promises, we're talking about a company clearly with financial problems so taking a gigantic hit to their bandwidth costs on something that now isn't providing any income seems like an unlikely move. I'ld love to be proven wrong though.

It'll suck if The Witcher 2 gets canned as well. What a depressing morale if a company that goes out of it's way to appease fans and customers ends up bankrupt, regardless of the reasons behind it.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 19, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

kuddles posted:

Well, that sucks. It's kinda weird that I would be openly worrying about GoG not doing well for the past month but at no point considered downloading backup copies. I lot of the games I actually don't care if I lose as they were impulse purchases that I got bored with 10 minutes after the nostalgia wore off. But games like Divine Divinity - that actually had some improvements like official widescreen support added on - are the ones I wished I grabbed.

Despite their promises, we're talking about a company clearly with financial problems so taking a huge hit to their bandwidth costs on something that now isn't providing any income seems like an unlikely move.

Well, what's their ToS? I wouldn't be surprised if the ToS says they have to give notice before severing the service, and the price of lawsuits would be higher than the bandwith hit.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I pulled the trigger on getting that Might & Magic collection two days ago.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm not sure how financial issues could be the issue. They could probably stay afloat with just Fallout 1 and 2 for christ's sake.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Machine posted:

I'm not sure how financial issues could be the issue. They could probably stay afloat with just Fallout 1 and 2 for christ's sake.

Games that weren't very successful on initial release? Unlikely.

Cyborgmatt
Aug 9, 2009

Honk.

Centipeed posted:

So, GOG.com is shutting down.

http://www.gog.com
Wow, that was unexpected, if they had given some notice I would have dropped a lot of money on games I wanted to keep hold of.

That really sucks.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well this feels bad. :( I also lack quite a few of my installers but more than that I'm really disappointed because I honestly wasn't expecting an end like this ever. Please let this be temporary.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Glad I re-downloaded and installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3 Complete before they closed. I didn't save the installer, though. :(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I am very, very glad that I never delete anything. But I still hope that they enable downloads again, or at best, resurrect from the dead. Apparently they've patched some games since their initial release on GOG, and a lot of my installers are from 2008-2009.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

what the gently caress

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Well, what's their ToS? I wouldn't be surprised if the ToS says they have to give notice before severing the service, and the price of lawsuits would be higher than the bandwith hit.
Have you ever read a ToS? The entire point of one is to remove liability altogether when unforeseen issues occur. I sincerely doubt there's anything like that in there.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nigh 30ish games I need to download...plus the supplemental stuff. Not to mention there was a lot of neat stuff afoot in their forums.

One of the worst Sunday's in recent memory. I really hope they can at least successfully wrangle this chance to download later this coming week or whatever.

This sucks so much.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Jesus loving Christ, talk about depressing news. :(

GOG.com was god-drat amazing, even if poo poo didn't work sometimes, and most of the times it did. I mean come on, they gave us cheap One Unit Whole Blood, which was next to impossible to find legitimately. Plus, a working copy of Outcast! loving poo poo. :(

I need to get some of those clients/installers... :ohdear:

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I really thought you guys were just being overreactionary children like games is always full of.

This is the worst thing to be right about.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

I visited their site all the time to look at the beautiful way they presented the games. And I probably bought 40 or so games. I thought it was too good to be true with no DRM and they would die any month but when they landed the Activision deal I assumed they must be doing decently enough. Maybe they planned on selling more copies of King's Quest and Space Quest not knowing they had been sold pretty recently on Steam for 1/4 the price? It really saddens me that they never got to the Quest for Glory, Thief, or the rest of the Journeyman Project games.

I don't see why they wouldn't let people have one last chance to actually BUY the games not just redownload them. I hadn't quite made up my mind on King's Quest VII/VIII or Age of Wonders but I'd want them both now!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

orborborb posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't let people have one last chance to actually BUY the games not just redownload them. I hadn't quite made up my mind on King's Quest VII/VIII or Age of Wonders but I'd want them both now!

For real, if they opened up for business for one more day I'd probably buy half the games on the site.

I also have some serious downloading to do. I didn't save any of the installers.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I was just about to buy Age of Wonders and Second Sight, too.

I actually had most of my installers downloaded at one point, but I deleted them because I needed the space. I have most of the games I bought installed, but I still needed to grab some of the supplemental materials.

This blows St. Bernards.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Whew, found my GOG archive.

I think I'm mostly upset because a) this obviously is a fly-by-night trigger-pull by the parent company with no regard for the people who work at GOG, and an outright disdain for the actual customers, and b) this is basically going to confirm any retarded superstitions that industry execs have about ditching DRM on older games.

And, of course, I no longer have an online store that I like.

I wonder if GOG-specific torrents are going to start showing up on the web.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Okay if this is true it's a stupid stunt
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

quote:

People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, if they really ARE shutting down, surely it wouldn't be wrong to distribute the DRM-free files, right? :)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress you GoG. If true that's a horrible prank.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Not to mention that old games actually worked on GoG. Never got Arx Fatalis on Steam to work worth a drat but the one from GoG ran beautifully.

Edit: Oh, gently caress those guys. This might be the first time I actually feel like an apology is warranted.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The sure way to make people want to give money to you is to make yourselves look like inept assholes.
The sure way to make people want to give money to publishers is to set them up as villains. Doubly so when you keep in mind that most likely $0 is going to any developers who made these games, seeing as most of them don't exist anymore, often because the publishers put them out of business.

If this is marketing, it's the worst marketing in history.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I'm really not buying that. And if it IS true, then even with the site restored, I'd be very hesitant to buy anything from them for the forseeable future.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Well, their wording is pretty dodgy in the letter...I hope that's true. :(

Also I didn't know CD Projekt had anything to do with GOG. Huh.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

I'm really not buying that. And if it IS true, then even with the site restored, I'd be very hesitant to buy anything from them for the forseeable future.

Same here. I would just download what I bought and leave.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Honest Thief posted:

Well, something weird is going on - they discuss it more at the next page in that thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407829&page=6

Maybe the "end of the beta" actually means "end of DRM free games" too, if their new shareholders don't like the idea.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
"Date of conference is about 22th of September, early evening. Information shortly on GOG.com, but please do not panic after seeing information presented there."

Looks like a bad marketing stunt to me, probably just updating gog out of beta and they just put up that bad joke on the mainpage while they upgrade the servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.
One thing bothers me : why would they introduce a new logo (both the "gog.com" and the little "G") with the announcement of them going under ?