Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

evil_bunnY posted:

Repeat after me: Am I under arrest or am I free to go, offissah?

seriously one of the most important things to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

squidflakes posted:

The H-hole office near the airport or the one in Midtown?

Neither, I think. Unmarked high rise near the Sam Houston Tollway.

I mostly wanted to point out that if I was a terrorist looking for a soft target I would be be shooting from a moving car or from a couple hundred yards away with a 600mm lens, but I thought that might not go well.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I know it sounds like an insane point of view, but whenever this topic comes up, I always get to thinking about it all again and I know, I absolutely know that I would prefer to live in a world where photography is illegal.

In some ways, I realize it will stifle creativity, but we have such an incredibly glut of it right now (I believe). And I realize it would be almost unenforceble. On the spot fines for all toting cameras, sure. And there will be criminal acts by law enforcement officials because there is no one out there documenting.

And of course, Nikon will die, and Canon will die. And tamronsigma and so on.

And I suppose the idea, this idea of mine, is born from jealousy and chagrin of all these cameras around me all the time. And because I will be one of the few who would continue to pursue outside photography.

But

really try and see it. A world where cameras are banned everywhere but your own home.

Wouldn't you want to see those outside images? Like, wouldn't the mundane suddenly be a little bit amazing.

And I've been harassed, I've been kicked out of train stations, cafes, malls, cinemas. I've been kicked out of all of them. I've had people try to charge me to take photos of things. I understand the pain. I'm not ignorant.

If there was a way, I would ban photography and I would make the photographer as reviled as the graffitist or worse. Link us with terrorism, link us with pedophilia, link us with cancer, link us with atheism and the absence of soul.

Thank you.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I took a panorama of a record-breaking crowd last year at one of our women's basketball games. We ran it the next day in our paper. I got an e-mail from the head coach asking for a copy of it because she liked it, so I sent one.

Today, I found my panorama displayed on the university's athletics website under an article about season tickets with the credit reading "Courtesy: Toledo Athletics"

Aw hell naw. Politely-worded e-mail, sent! :argh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helmacron posted:

:words:

I think that trying to work on 1,470dpi images may have made your mind go a bit funny.

Maybe you should sit down and rest for a while? Open a window and get some fresh air.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Quick question, I have a few product images going up on a website, I want to be using sRGB for maximum compatability, right?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Quick question, I have a few product images going up on a website, I want to be using sRGB for maximum compatability, right?

Yes.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Actually you might want to use Wide Gamut RGB color space, as the word 'wide' means it's pretty wide and it will be compatible with a wide arrange of profiles...

brad industry
May 22, 2004
^ That's not what 'wide' means in that context.

Anyone have any recommendations for blogs that feature commercial/editorial photography? Big or small. Things along the lines of Burstoid, Fubiz, Boooooom, Flak, etc.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

brad industry posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for blogs that feature commercial/editorial photography? Big or small. Things along the lines of Burstoid, Fubiz, Boooooom, Flak, etc.

designyoutrust has some cool stuff at times.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

I like https://www.touchpuppet.com but that's skewed a little more towards fashion, but there's some great editorials.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

brad industry posted:

Swiss Miss (more the design side), butdoesitfloat (also some graphic design).

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
http://abduzeedo.com/tags/photography Is this the sorta thing you're looking for?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

A circa 1908 Wollensak 35mm F5.0 Cine-Velostigmat hand cranked cinema camera lens mounted on a 5DmkII.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?p=133996

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
http://www.dentsulondon.com/blog/2010/09/14/light-painting/

Ok, so this is super creative. Stop motion animation with lightpainting done by an ipad in 3d Space, you gotta watch it to make sense.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

AnotherFreakboy posted:

A circa 1908 Wollensak 35mm F5.0 Cine-Velostigmat hand cranked cinema camera lens mounted on a 5DmkII.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?p=133996

I go to camera club stuff sometimes in Melbourne and there's a guy there who brings like, reverse connected voightlander on a D90 and so on. They invariably take awful photos and I don't quite see the point.

But hobbies are hobbies.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Repeat after me: Am I under arrest or am I free to go, offissah?

lol enjoy trying this in houston and getting several teeth knocked out

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Edit: Wrong thread

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

I know it sounds like an insane point of view, but whenever this topic comes up, I always get to thinking about it all again and I know, I absolutely know that I would prefer to live in a world where photography is illegal.

In some ways, I realize it will stifle creativity, but we have such an incredibly glut of it right now (I believe). And I realize it would be almost unenforceble. On the spot fines for all toting cameras, sure. And there will be criminal acts by law enforcement officials because there is no one out there documenting.

And of course, Nikon will die, and Canon will die. And tamronsigma and so on.

And I suppose the idea, this idea of mine, is born from jealousy and chagrin of all these cameras around me all the time. And because I will be one of the few who would continue to pursue outside photography.

But

really try and see it. A world where cameras are banned everywhere but your own home.

Wouldn't you want to see those outside images? Like, wouldn't the mundane suddenly be a little bit amazing.
This place exists, it's called Saudi Arabia.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Other than the M9 this is the first digital camera in a long time I would consider carrying around: http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Other than the M9 this is the first digital camera in a long time I would consider carrying around: http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

scanned that all the way through hoping to see 'four thirds' and nearly shat when I saw APS-C. Biiiig sensor in a compact.

I want one, but I do suspect that fixed focal length = horrible flop. Sigma already tried this.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ordering this

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Compact with a 35mm equiv f/2, from Fuji, who, despite not being a main digital player, has got to know what they are doing (the s series dSLRs are amazing), is going to be amazing. If it had manual focus it would be perfection. Please don't let it cost a mint.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Compact with a 35mm equiv f/2, from Fuji, who, despite not being a main digital player, has got to know what they are doing (the s series dSLRs are amazing), is going to be amazing. If it had manual focus it would be perfection. Please don't let it cost a mint.

That ring on the lens is probably focus, since it's a prime?

It is very very beautiful; the integrated ND filter is also a very clever idea which should become standard. I wonder if it is polarisation based, or something like smart glass

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 19, 2010

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Does this one have that crazy sensor technology that gives the Fuji DSLRs the highest dynamic range of all the other ones? If this one keeps crazy dynamic range that's even better.

I just don't see this thing *NOT* selling like proverbial hotcakes, unless, like you said, it costs a mint. Anything less than a grand and I predict this is going to be every serious photographer's 2nd camera.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Zegnar posted:

That ring on the lens is probably focus, since it's a prime?

It is very very beautiful.

Optical viewfinder without a rangefinder means it'd be zone focus, wouldn't it? The lens ring is for selecting aperture I assume.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Optical viewfinder without a rangefinder means it'd be zone focus, wouldn't it? The lens ring is for selecting aperture I assume.

Well, you could use the EVF for actual focusing, especially if it did that magnify focus area by 10x when moving the focus ring (if that is what it is).

Would be awesome to have the EVF turn on only when turning the zoom and having it magnify the center to confirm focus, then go back to off so you are using the optical viewfinder for all other than focusing.

Sucks it's not out till 2011

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Reichstag posted:

Could do it with the digital viewfinder. It's pretty clear in this photo that the 'focus' ring is distinct from the aperture ring, separated by a thin sliver (with the red line on). Could just be a multi purpose dial though.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 19, 2010

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Zegnar posted:

Could do it with the digital viewfinder. It's pretty clear in this photo that the 'focus' ring is distinct from the aperture ring, separated by a thin sliver (with the red line on). Could just be a multi purpose dial though.
There is no manual focus. It says in the link it's all contrast based AF.

also

quote:

While traditionalists prefer the clear, sharp view of an ‘optical’ finder, modern electronic displays, giving data like shutter speed, aperture, white balance, exposure correction and sensitivity can aid the photographer tremendously. The new Hybrid Viewfinder on the FinePix X100 aims to give the user the ‘best of both worlds.’
This statement is retarded. My 'traditional' optical 'viewfinder' showed me 'aperture', shutter speed, 'expo'sure', had a split prism, and is bigger, brighter, and more awesome than any new camera I've ever looked through. How can some laggy display beat that? If they had made this camera in the traditional SLR style I would actually have been interested.

I know reviews tend to have over the top specification lists, but this whole list takes it to a new level.

quote:

Optimization of the angle-of-incidence in conjunction with the specially developed lens maximizes light gathering efficiency extending to the perimeter of the sensor for a sharper image with exceptional clarity
:jerkbag:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

This statement is retarded. My 'traditional' optical 'viewfinder' showed me 'aperture', shutter speed, 'expo'sure', had a split prism, and is bigger, brighter, and more awesome than any new camera I've ever looked through. How can some laggy display beat that? If they had made this camera in the traditional SLR style I would actually have been interested.

Your optical viewfinder is 3" across?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Wow, I guess I'll stop lumping Fuji into the "who the gently caress buys that poo poo" category. I wonder what pricing will be.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Is a split prism the cat's eye thing? Because I always hated that thing. All to often, the problem with tradition is that as we move forward, it becomes regression. And there's always someone out there who forgot to update and still thinks it's the best thing out there.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Is a split prism the cat's eye thing? Because I always hated that thing. All to often, the problem with tradition is that as we move forward, it becomes regression. And there's always someone out there who forgot to update and still thinks it's the best thing out there.

It's about the right tool for the job. Shooting sports with a telephoto I'd go for even a cheap autofocus every time. Landscapes with a wide open wide angle, I'd rather have a larger viewfinder and a longer focus screw on the lens (and yes, a split prism)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Beastruction posted:

Your optical viewfinder is 3" across?
Go look up what a viewfinder is.

Beastruction posted:

I don't know why it's considered a step back, as far as I know it's the most accurate way to manually focus a lens.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

There is no manual focus. It says in the link it's all contrast based AF.

Those dpreview grids are pretty inconsistent, but usually focus refers to type of autofocus available (ie contrast detect or phase detect). Here is an example of a bridge camera with (not very good) manual focus listed as simply 'Focus:autofocus'.

I am not expecting actual geared autofocus but I wouldn't give up hope of decent focus-by-wire (as seen on many decent pro lenses) on this basis.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Oh, actually, I just got my Olympus OM10 out and fiddled with it and I can see how it's pretty aight. Apologies. I can see how it's good for film cameras. I don't think it makes sense on digital, especially if you're landscaping it up. I heart zoom in liveview, it was the most exciting thing when I realized my D700 had that feature.

EDIT: What I really want now, in professional digital cameras (and surely this could be some sort of firmware update), is the ability to watch the progression of a bulb exposure on the LCD back. Anybody else?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

the ability to watch the progression of a bulb exposure on the LCD back. Anybody else?

I'd be down for this and some :catdrugs:

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Reichstag posted:

Goddammit why are they releasing so many new cameras that I want.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If the X100 can do rangefinder-style manual focusing along with AF, that would be so loving cool.

I'm just scared about the price now. If they can keep it under $1000, I'm seriously going to be thinking about getting one. It's like a digital Contax T2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Helmacron posted:

Oh, actually, I just got my Olympus OM10 out and fiddled with it and I can see how it's pretty aight. Apologies. I can see how it's good for film cameras. I don't think it makes sense on digital, especially if you're landscaping it up. I heart zoom in liveview, it was the most exciting thing when I realized my D700 had that feature.

EDIT: What I really want now, in professional digital cameras (and surely this could be some sort of firmware update), is the ability to watch the progression of a bulb exposure on the LCD back. Anybody else?

Little late to this show but I will bet you 100 e-bucks that the printer hosed up her numbers and actually wants that file at 1440 dpi as it's one of the highest default resolutions supported by large format printers. You can almost assuredly get away with 720 as I'm pretty sure there's no surface capable of supporting that high a res unless you're Gursky and you're making C-Prints.