Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrZig posted:

Hahaha I had the same lights on my GSXR750 when I picked it up. Those fuckers were heavy, there's no way the wheels were balanced for poo poo. Also it had LED lights everywhere around the bike. :suicide:

Light emitting diode lights?

(gently caress you Phy you pagesniping pedant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phy posted:

Light emitting diode lights?

(gently caress you Phy you pagesniping pedant)

It's even worse when your pedantry is wrong. You would have a case if he said he needed LED diodes, but he didn't. There's nothing fundamentally wrong or repetitive with saying LED lights. The light is made using Light Emitting Diodes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My god, you're right! I am dogshit.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Cycle Asylum: Where the healing begins.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My 07 SV650S, minor mods, GSXR1000 rear shock, Viper slip on, reflective rim tape, grip heaters blah blah

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
How much is installing a tail tidy on my k7 SVs going to be an issue with riding in the rain?

I commute rain or shine and would rather avoid a massive skunk stripe, at the same time the rear guard is kinda gross.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You're gunna get poo poo on you back and the rear end of the bike, that's just all there is.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does a rear hugger prevent said poo poo accumulation?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If its big enough, but if its big enough it usually looks super goofy itself. So, can you have good looks and a clean back? I'm not sure it can be done.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Spiffness posted:

You're gunna get poo poo on you back and the rear end of the bike, that's just all there is.

First thing I did after I got my SV was reinstall another tail fender thing. That and install godawful looking DIY luggage :q:

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
How do SV650's fair on unpaved roads. I'm torn between a KLR650, and a SV650. I would be doing a lot of regular roads (96-98%), but would be taking it up onto some USFS roads, or maybe easy logging roads. Maybe once a month, but something I would like to do once in a while. More often than not, I would be riding around Seattle, Bellevue area, and long jaunts on road trips around the PNW.

I like the KLR as being able to do all that, but the more street oriented task list has me looking at a SV650 style bike. I like the Honda 599, SV, and V-strom, so I'm kinda torn right now.

This would be most likely a daily driver bike, as I currently share a car with MY WIFE. It would there for need to be a rain or shine bike.

Edit: for clarification, I have ridden a R6 on two-tracks, and crappy back roads, and while not horrible, not something I want to repeat. I'm not sure what the condition of most USFS roads are like around here, but I've been down a few, and they are not bad at all. Like I could take a normal Honda Civic down them no problem.

MidasAg fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 21, 2010

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Flyboy925 posted:

How do SV650's fair on unpaved roads. I'm torn between a KLR650, and a SV650. I would be doing a lot of regualr roads, but would be taking it up onto some USFS roads, or maybe easy logging roads. Maybe once a month, but something I would like to do once in a while. More often than not, I would be riding around Seattle, Bellevue area, and long jaunts on road trips.

I like the KLR as being able to do all that, but teh more street oriented task list has me looking at that sort of bike. I like the 599, SV, and V-strom, so I'm kinda torn right now.

This would be most likely a daily driver bike, as I currently share a car with MY WIFE. It would there for be a rain or shine bike.

I took an SV up a muddy rutted mountain road within 2 months of riding. It wasn't the most enjoyable ride I have been on.

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Flyboy925 posted:

How do SV650's fair on unpaved roads.

I don't have experience with a SV650 on unpaved roads, but do to some totally rad street construction, I've been taking my '05 SV1000 over gravel, dirt, and mud all summer.

Gravel is the biggest thing -- the bike just kinda starts to drift around, dirt (as long as it's packed) is just a bumpy ride, and mud really depends on your area.

If your USFS roads are mostly packed dirt and you keep an eye out, the SV would be fine, but out of the two I'd go for the KLR.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

uncrfe posted:

I don't have experience with a SV650 on unpaved roads, but do to some totally rad street construction, I've been taking my '05 SV1000 over gravel, dirt, and mud all summer.

Gravel is the biggest thing -- the bike just kinda starts to drift around, dirt (as long as it's packed) is just a bumpy ride, and mud really depends on your area.

If your USFS roads are mostly packed dirt and you keep an eye out, the SV would be fine, but out of the two I'd go for the KLR.

Yeah, I figure any street oriented bike is going to be worse in the dirt at any real speed, but I'm not planning on tearing them up yet. The USFS roads I've been on so far, and they are the more traveled ones, are pretty well packed, and decently maintained. More like regular dirt roads.

The KLR would be a more friendly 'starting' bike, as I haven't ridden in 6 years. I just know for the price of a decent KLR around here, I could get a SV, or V-strom, and I don't want to be kicking myself in a year or so, wishing I had gotten something more street oriented.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you considered a sumo?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Immediate knee jerk response from Z3n!

(sumos are awesome)

From lovely muddy B roads,

To hilly sweeping gravel roads,

To the motherfucking race track.

They really are go anywhere, do anything bikes. I'm a recent convert and loving love it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

Immediate knee jerk response from Z3n!

(sumos are awesome)

From lovely muddy B roads,

To hilly sweeping gravel roads,

To the motherfucking race track.

They really are go anywhere, do anything bikes. I'm a recent convert and loving love it.
We all know SVs were my first love. But if you're cross shopping a KLR and a SV650, the real compromise between the 2 is some form of sumo. DRZ if you don't mind less power at lower cost, new KTM if you want more power and reasonable maintenance at much higher cost, and any of the other ones if you want more power, more maintenance, and a midrange cost.

With the sumo, you need to address a few issues if you want to ride it distance, (seat, potentially some form of wind protection), but I'd take a properly set up supermoto over either of the 2.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

We all know SVs were my first love. But if you're cross shopping a KLR and a SV650, the real compromise between the 2 is some form of sumo. DRZ if you don't mind less power at lower cost, new KTM if you want more power and reasonable maintenance at much higher cost, and any of the other ones if you want more power, more maintenance, and a midrange cost.

With the sumo, you need to address a few issues if you want to ride it distance, (seat, potentially some form of wind protection), but I'd take a properly set up supermoto over either of the 2.

You forgot something important for distance riding... a tank that holds enough fuel to go further than 75 miles before getting really nervous about finding a gas station :saddowns:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

You forgot something important for distance riding... a tank that holds enough fuel to go further than 75 miles before getting really nervous about finding a gas station :saddowns:

Oh yeah, a 4 gallon tank is nice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Additional data point: If you do gravel roads once in a blue moon and they aren't deeply rutted and muddy, a street bike will cope just fine. Just go a bit slowly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Additional data point: If you do gravel roads once in a blue moon and they aren't deeply rutted and muddy, a street bike will cope just fine. Just go a bit slowly.

This is true, however, it's way more fun on a supermoto/DS bike. Long travel suspension and shorter gearing means that you've got a lot more options fun when you're heading up a dirt road, especially as a more novice rider. You can crash a DS/Sumo in the dirt and not have a problem, wadding your SV out in the middle of nowhere would be an issue.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good points well made.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
I miss my supermoto... but i needed a road bike to pillion my GF.

I just picked up this 2008 SV650 ABS that has some damage on it for $1500 USD.

Been riding to work in heavy traffic with the girl on the back, lanesplitting and filtering.. Not as easy as the supermoto but definitely more stable at low speed with a passenger.
Tried pillioning a few times on the SM and it gets all wobbly and weird. Also love how smooth it is to ride around, the SM would be vibrating and exhausting to ride at times on the highway.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
^^^^^ That is awesome. What damage is there really?

Z3n posted:

I actually have, but out on the Olympic peninsula, and up in the Cascade mountains, you do go aways between gas stations (50+ miles sometimes), and I am looking at something I can take long distance right off the bat. I would be open to almost anything, as I know anything can be made into anything. I am a fat rear end though, and while I am losing weight, I want something that can still haul me around from the get go, without dropping 500+ to redo suspension. I know I will need to, but the cheaper I can get the bike, the better the gear I can get right off the bat.

I was looking at a local dealer, and they have a KTM Duke 2, for $3k, and thats mighty tempting as well.

But coming off a R6 before, the more dirt oriented bikes, and sumo's just seem too small and skinny to me. Its something I would have to get over. I do know that this weekend I am going to try and hit up some of those said USFS roads, and see what kind of condition they really are in, and that will really tell me if I need a Sumo, KLR, or if a SV, or V-strom will work. Ideally, I want to be able to ride all day, set up camp on a beach, puts around,and ride back the next, all while taking back roads, etc.

But if it gets to far off track, I'll take it to the "Tell me which bike to buy thread". Just really looking to see other's experience with the SV in less than ideal conditions.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think a V-Strom would match that requirement perfectly. Good range, good engine, comfy for the rider, comfy for the girl (which none of the others are) and will go on any road. Tsaven Nava can tell you more, but he doesn't know what he's doing. Takes a Virago down mud roads and a V-strom to the track. :v:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm selling my slip-on. Check out the marketplace thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Flyboy925 posted:

^^^^^ That is awesome. What damage is there really?

I actually have, but out on the Olympic peninsula, and up in the Cascade mountains, you do go aways between gas stations (50+ miles sometimes), and I am looking at something I can take long distance right off the bat. I would be open to almost anything, as I know anything can be made into anything. I am a fat rear end though, and while I am losing weight, I want something that can still haul me around from the get go, without dropping 500+ to redo suspension. I know I will need to, but the cheaper I can get the bike, the better the gear I can get right off the bat.

I was looking at a local dealer, and they have a KTM Duke 2, for $3k, and thats mighty tempting as well.

But coming off a R6 before, the more dirt oriented bikes, and sumo's just seem too small and skinny to me. Its something I would have to get over. I do know that this weekend I am going to try and hit up some of those said USFS roads, and see what kind of condition they really are in, and that will really tell me if I need a Sumo, KLR, or if a SV, or V-strom will work. Ideally, I want to be able to ride all day, set up camp on a beach, puts around,and ride back the next, all while taking back roads, etc.

But if it gets to far off track, I'll take it to the "Tell me which bike to buy thread". Just really looking to see other's experience with the SV in less than ideal conditions.

Well, a tank swap is pretty cheap and easy. I bought mine used for around 120$, new they're around 250$.

The Duke 2 is going to have many of the same issues at that a sumo has, without the crashability. Plus the LC4 engine vibrates like CRAZY and has short maintenance intervals, an insane oil change routine (you gotta burp the engine), if you're planning on doing any sort of distance riding I'd take the DRZ over the Duke 2, due to the vibration alone.

You'll get over the skinny feel of the dirtbikes really quickly.

Unfortunately, you're going to need to resign yourself to redoing the suspension right off the bat. Especially on an SV, which is made for 130 pound jockies. The sumos will handle it better, thanks to 12 inches of suspension travel, but should probably be resprung/valved too, but they're not great for 2 up.

Really, what it comes down to is do you want to have fun ripping up dirt roads or are you content to just cruise up them? How much 2 up will you really be doing? Because an SV is acceptable but not the best bike for 2 up either. Sumos are pretty much the best solo, do it all rides you can have, with the right setup, SVs are good if you'll be doing a lot of street/freeway and very minimal offroad (the oil filter sits in a really exposed spot).

You can offroad on any bike, the question is how much you'll enjoy it and how quickly you'll be able to do it. I'm happy when I see dirt and gravel on my sumo. I'd be possible on a streetbike, but you're constantly going to be on the look out for a rut that's just a little too deep or concerned about conditions/crashing.

Yautja, that's an amazing deal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I think a V-Strom would match that requirement perfectly. Good range, good engine, comfy for the rider, comfy for the girl (which none of the others are) and will go on any road. Tsaven Nava can tell you more, but he doesn't know what he's doing. Takes a Virago down mud roads and a V-strom to the track. :v:

That and I woulda said the Strom was like a cross between the KLR and the SV in most respects, save weight and crashability. It's actually got more plastic than the SV, about as much as the 2nd-gen KLR, and if you're gravelroading it you'll probably want crash bars and a bash plate, especially with where it sites the oil cooler and filter. Oh, and it's got stupid range. You could use it as a mobile tanker service for people on sumos.

Next year I'm gonna see if I can hunt down some local people and go DSing again, the Strom's been a beautiful road bike but I'm kind of missing the unpaved.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Z3n posted:

words

And other words.

Good to know on the Duke 2. The dealer has had it for quite a while, so not sure what the deal is with that. As for riding, I am definitely headed up to the roads that I want to travel this weekend, to get an idea, and just to go, this weekend. Z3n, they will be similar to what you road on up here in the Seattle area this summer. Where you have to ride a little to get to decent off road areas, so range, and interstate comfort is a plus.

I finally have a job with PTO, Vacation, and sick days, so long 2 or 3 day weekend rides are a great possibility. As for 2-up, the wife says she has no desire to ride a motorcycle, which is fine with me. She has her Lady Gaga, I'll have my bike.

I was looking at the KLR as a decent starter bike with the required on road / light off road capability, but decent all around and not stupid amounts of power. We'd all (I'm assuming) like the new ducati Hyper, or Multi, but alas, we all start somewhere. I figured an SV, or V-strom would be a good compromise, as it will mostlikely be seeing dirt roads only once every 2-3 weeks or so, if that.

Sorry to keep derailing the SV thread.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The LC4 vibration issue is a little overblown. Ok, so when my bike is warming up at work it might move itself back a good foot or so while I put my helmet and gloves on so obviously it doesn't' have THAT much vibration.... :stare:

It's really not too bad over idle if you keep your cruising speed reasonable. I haven't done any serious trips on the KTM yet but there's enough positions you can get yourself into that I don't see it being horrible. Granted, I've done 1000+ mile weekends on a sportbike with a stock seat and aftermarket rearsets in their furthest back, one notch down from highest up position. And thought it was fun. My idea of a comfortable bike likely varies from most sane people :(

Really though, if you're not going to venture off pavement with any kind of regularity an SV would be an incredibly good choice. Gravel/hardpack dirt is not scary on even a full out sportbike if you just stay loose and take it easy. You're not going to be bashing over logs or anything but on normal gravel/dirt roads you won't have any problems on a SV.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Thats kind of what I am thinking as well. Hell, I've been surprised at what I would put my R6 through in terms of two tracks, dirt rodes, and such back in the country. And I felt that that bike was insanely comfortable. Put 350 miles on it the first day with no issues.

I guess what it will also come down to is whats available andat what price point as well. Its coming into fall/winter, so everythign should be dropping in price. Hell, I might even be able to pick up 2 bikes. Who knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Flyboy925 posted:

And other words.

Good to know on the Duke 2. The dealer has had it for quite a while, so not sure what the deal is with that. As for riding, I am definitely headed up to the roads that I want to travel this weekend, to get an idea, and just to go, this weekend. Z3n, they will be similar to what you road on up here in the Seattle area this summer. Where you have to ride a little to get to decent off road areas, so range, and interstate comfort is a plus.

I finally have a job with PTO, Vacation, and sick days, so long 2 or 3 day weekend rides are a great possibility. As for 2-up, the wife says she has no desire to ride a motorcycle, which is fine with me. She has her Lady Gaga, I'll have my bike.

I was looking at the KLR as a decent starter bike with the required on road / light off road capability, but decent all around and not stupid amounts of power. We'd all (I'm assuming) like the new ducati Hyper, or Multi, but alas, we all start somewhere. I figured an SV, or V-strom would be a good compromise, as it will mostlikely be seeing dirt roads only once every 2-3 weeks or so, if that.

Sorry to keep derailing the SV thread.

The dealer has had the Duke 2 for awhile because they occupy a really, really weird spot in the market. Most people don't shop for a single cylinder streetbike, which the Duke definitely is, and the vibey LC4 and intensive maintenance doesn't do wonders for their rep. The LC4 is a good engine but it's a dirt engine and does require more involved upkeep than your typical streetbike. My friend just bought one, and he's a long time rider who doesn't do a lot of riding anymore, shopping in the midrange, looking for something exotic-ish, and he's the vast minority of purchasers. The LC4 does have a smooth spot in the rev range, but it's still pretty vibey.

If you're leaning towards the KLR, I'd point you at the DRZ instead, mostly because of lack of drat near 100 pounds on the DRZ, which is a better upgrade than you could ever do to the KLR. Plus you can buy a dualsport and convert it to sumo.

But it sounds like the SV will be right up your alley though. Maybe a cheap SV and a cheap DRZ to convert to sumo at your leisure for a little bit of everything.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Picked up my first real bike over the weekend. Naked blue 06. I love it. I wish we had more time to get to know each other this week. I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Z3n posted:

The dealer has had the Duke 2 for awhile because they occupy a really, really weird spot in the market. Most people don't shop for a single cylinder streetbike, which the Duke definitely is, and the vibey LC4 and intensive maintenance doesn't do wonders for their rep. The LC4 is a good engine but it's a dirt engine and does require more involved upkeep than your typical streetbike. My friend just bought one, and he's a long time rider who doesn't do a lot of riding anymore, shopping in the midrange, looking for something exotic-ish, and he's the vast minority of purchasers. The LC4 does have a smooth spot in the rev range, but it's still pretty vibey.

If you're leaning towards the KLR, I'd point you at the DRZ instead, mostly because of lack of drat near 100 pounds on the DRZ, which is a better upgrade than you could ever do to the KLR. Plus you can buy a dualsport and convert it to sumo.

But it sounds like the SV will be right up your alley though. Maybe a cheap SV and a cheap DRZ to convert to sumo at your leisure for a little bit of everything.

That last part is what I am seriously starting to head towards. A SV or similar for road trips/light offroad, and just driving around, and a DRZ or similar for around town like work, and when I am specifically headed to the mountains for a day of fun. The weight of the KLR is starting to turn in to a real turn off. But seriously, anything I get will make me more than happy

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I have an 02 SV650, and lately it's been drinking down gas like nobody's business. 35-38 mpg under average riding (a few trips up to 9k on highway on-ramps, but mostly street riding around 3-5k rpm). This is distressingly low gas mileage, so I thought, "I know! I'll check the spark plugs!"

I pulled them out, and they looked like this:

Now as I understand it, that's pretty crusty for a spark plug. I replaced them with new NGK plugs, but I'm wondering: should I learn how to fiddle with my carbs, too? Is this, as I have heard, a symptom of running a rich mixture?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd check your air filter too, if you haven't.

Did you have good gas mileage before? If so, chances are your carbs are ok, your problem is probably elsewhere. Check tire pressures, air filter, etc.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Checked my air filter about a month back, it seemed fine. I put a bunch of air through it (in the correct direction!) just in case. Tire pressure was a little low back around the time I checked the filter, so I put a bit more in each, but I have yet to see a change in mileage.

If the trouble is in the carbs, is it an adjustment I can do with the carbs on the bike, or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and learn how to take them off/apart?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gonna have to bite the bullet. But it's not bad and we can definitely guide you through them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So... what would smell vaguely like fish oil around the engine/clutch after a lot of hard turning, shifting and accelerating through the city riding? Never smelt anything like it before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Something like oil burning on the headers?

• Locked thread