Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Malkar posted:

You've apparently never heard of the difference between a privately-held company and a publically-shared one.

I thought Valve was public. Are they not? Even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Drox posted:

Nope, private.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Drox posted:

Privately held by Gaben. It use to be co-owned by Gaben and Mike Harrington, but Harrington left the industry and sold off his share of the company to Gaben.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sudbina posted:

Privately held by Gaben. It use to be co-owned by Gaben and Mike Harrington, but Harrington left the industry and sold off his share of the company to Gaben.

Well, there you go. I would be incredibly surprised if he didn't actually have the company willed to someone he trusts in the event that tomorrow's second breakfast kills him.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Drox posted:

That's a good point. All they need to do is say "hey guys we are shutting down here's a week, connect one last time to turn on Offline Mode, it's been good."

Offline mode in its current state only lasts 30 days. Sure, they could patch that, but in that case they could patch it in some other, better way anyway.

Also, people are referring to how Valve has promised to patch this if they go under, but when did they last make this promise? Because I remember them saying it years ago, when the Steam catalog consisted of only Valve games plus Rag Doll Kung Fu. Things have changed since then.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Say what you want about GabeN but he's always done right by me, the loyal fan and customer, so I don't have any reason to doubt his decisions. Throwing around hypothetical situations are only going to receive hypothetical answers anyway.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Drox posted:

They say it because Valve has said before that they would distribute something to allow people to continue playing their purchases. I don't know if this was a DRM removal tool or just perhaps a fake Valve authentication server that you might run in the background or what.

Yeah I've read Valve's comments, and I think they're just trying to make people feel secure about buying things on Steam. There is no way in hell that the legal agreements they've signed with publishers give them permission to just disable their DRM if Steam is being shut down, we all know how much publishers love DRM.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

There is no way in hell that the legal agreements they've signed with publishers give them permission to just disable their DRM if Steam is being shut down,

Unless publishers realize this is literally never going to happen.

e: I imagine the conversation between Gabe and the publisher (Let's say Bobby Kotick) takes place in Gabe's swimming pool full of money, them sitting on rafts sipping on Tom Collinses, and Gabe turns over to Kotick after laughing about poor people or something and then says, with as straight a face as possible, "Hey, just a small thing but before Modern Warfare 67 goes on Steam, you need to agree to let us disable the DRM if we go out of business". Kotick just stares at him for about five seconds, and then they both burst out laughing.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 20, 2010

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
You guys keep posting like we actually play the games we buy on steam. :rolleyes:

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Methodis posted:

You've apparently never heard of the Activision Blizzard merger and all the shenanigans involved with the former.

If you're all that worried about steam screwing you over in the far future, then don't buy games on steam? :confused: Go to a real store or buy some console games or some poo poo, the rest of us who aren't crazy hoarders just want to buy games so we can play them until we're done playing them.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Really? Steam will literally never be shut down? Hundreds of years from now people will still be using Steam?

I think it's pretty safe to say Steam will still be here in 5 years. But 10 years, that might be another story. When it comes to the internet, it's insane to make any predictions about how popular/successful something will be in the future.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

emoticon posted:

If you're all that worried about steam screwing you over in the far future, then don't buy games on steam? :confused: Go to a real store or buy some console games or some poo poo, the rest of us who aren't crazy hoarders just want to buy games so we can play them until we're done playing them.

That doesn't help at all when more and more games come with Steam integration. For example, no matter where you buy Dawn of War 2 - even directly from a store, you are forced to register the game on Steam and log in at least once every 30 days.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

Really? Steam will literally never be shut down? Hundreds of years from now people will still be using Steam?

I think it's pretty safe to say Steam will still be here in 5 years. But 10 years, that might be another story. When it comes to the internet, it's insane to make any predictions about how popular/successful something will be in the future.

Nope, it will be here forever. Of this I am sure.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

emoticon posted:

Wanting to be able to legally keep something you have paid for = hoarder

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still say they're just prepping to launch a new website. Probably took the old one down to do so, hence the message. If it's a prank then yes it's a dick move, but the moment the site comes back we'll all be buying their games again. I can see why people are getting worked up but it's not that big a deal to me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Gabe does not live a healthy lifestyle.

It's ok. He has an exercise ball which he puts to good use.

(note: i do <3 gabe)

And, personally, I think it really is just a horrible marketing move on their part. Keep in mind that for the longest time gog has had that 'beta' bit in their name unless they removed it and I completely missed it. This is probably just a relaunch with a snazzy new website and maybe even a downloader-nee-client software to go along with it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Do I spot a sandwich on his desk?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
One day everyone you know will be dead.

I'm still sore about somehow not jumping on Another World the week it went on sale. I was waiting for that! I started playing the freely-released GBA ROM once but figured the 15th Anniversary release would be a much more beautiful option.

Only bought a handful of things, so only a handful to redownload, but I really loved the site philosophy, especially as someone who didn't have a PC until this past decade, and who's usually a few years behind the upgrade curve anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If they truly are going under, my only regret is that I didn't pick up Two Worlds in anticipation for my new laptop. But I'll wait to hear them say "pack it in boys" first.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If GOG comes back with DRM, that'll be a shame, since I do enjoy the ability to back up files. As for people wondering why not everyone backs up their files, well, not everyone backs up their files. Not everyone has auto-save configured in Photoshop or Microsoft Office.

There are a lot of people who, much like during a Steam sale, buy a game with the intent of playing it at a later date. Or how about purchasing while at work, and then just forgetting about it? I don't know that the appropriate response to those people is "tough poo poo", I feel like it's human nature. Because having an offsite backup is like a safety net. And right now people are feeling the shock of missing the net and hitting the floor. I think its acceptable to be upset.

But, they've said they'll offer a way to re-download, so find a way to survive until then.

And then this time, THIS TIME, I'll remember to back up the installers :I

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

O God loving damnit. I was literally going to buy Masters of Orion 1 + 2 tonight when I got home from work.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

e: I imagine the conversation between Gabe and the publisher (Let's say Bobby Kotick) takes place in Gabe's swimming pool full of money, them sitting on rafts sipping on Tom Collinses, and Gabe turns over to Kotick after laughing about poor people or something and then says, with as straight a face as possible, "Hey, just a small thing but before Modern Warfare 67 goes on Steam, you need to agree to let us disable the DRM if we go out of business". Kotick just stares at him for about five seconds, and then they both burst out laughing.

I'm not so sure this conversation would even need to take place since they're obviously already agreeing that their games will support offline mode, and I imagine the "DRM removal" patch would actually not be DRM removal at all, but simply a patch that ensures you can continue to use offline mode without connecting to the servers any more.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I start off the day by finding out that someone tried to steal my car, as the driver-side door lock and the ignition are completely hosed.

Then I come into work, see hundreds of new posts in the GOG thread. feel a sense of foreboding, and discover that GOG has apparently shut down?

What a day. :suicide:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dflanny posted:

I start off the day by finding out that someone tried to steal my car, as the driver-side door lock and the ignition are completely hosed.

Then I come into work, see hundreds of new posts in the GOG thread. feel a sense of foreboding, and discover that GOG has apparently shut down?

Well, look on the bright side... you still have your car and GOG is potentially going to return! :3:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

dflanny posted:

Look on the bright side, at least your car will never leave you now.
Unlike GoG. :smithicide:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Haruharuharuko posted:

O God loving damnit. I was literally going to buy Masters of Orion 1 + 2 tonight when I got home from work.

Well, according to some people in this thread, you should just throw away all your money because capitalism as we know it is over.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So does AoW2:SM not work in Vista or was it general unavailability that makes people want it? Because I found my disc and want to know if I'm wasting my time.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ymgve posted:

Offline mode in its current state only lasts 30 days. Sure, they could patch that, but in that case they could patch it in some other, better way anyway.

Also, people are referring to how Valve has promised to patch this if they go under, but when did they last make this promise? Because I remember them saying it years ago, when the Steam catalog consisted of only Valve games plus Rag Doll Kung Fu. Things have changed since then.

He's said it several times.

So has Doug.

So has Robin.

You know, the three people who have almost all say with what Valve does.

You know, the people who actually make choices, because the company doesn't have another larger company telling it what to do?

And what the hell Offline Mode only lasts 30 days? Up until recently, I had to live on a farm that couldn't get any internet at all, it lasted me close to 3 months without doing anything funky, Offline Mode works just fine, not sure where you got your 30 day information from.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Zachack posted:

So does AoW2:SM not work in Vista or was it general unavailability that makes people want it? Because I found my disc and want to know if I'm wasting my time.

Mine works fine. Had a single crash randomly, but other than that, it's smooth sailing.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, what happened? Is GOG gone for now?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rookersh posted:

He's said it several times.

So has Doug.

So has Robin.

You know, the three people who have almost all say with what Valve does.

You know, the people who actually make choices, because the company doesn't have another larger company telling it what to do?

Saying they'll remove the DRM is one of those easy things to say when you're trying to sell someone on the service and pretty much impossible to do when it comes time to pull the trigger. The people who said they would won't be the ones making the decisions when that time comes; it'll be lawyers and managers at another company.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Well, according to some people in this thread, you should just throw away all your money because capitalism as we know it is over.
Yeah what's all that about anyway? I keep seeing the odd post about it but I just stepped in.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Update from their Twitter:

GOG's Twitter feed posted:

The official statement from GOG's management about the situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.

This sucks, I literally had like 3/4 of their catalog. It seems I have about 35 gigs of installers stashed away, although I'm definitely missing some stuff. Definitely hoarding like crazy once it comes back.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The CEO posted on an investing forum that investors &c should ignore what's on the GOG front page. Given that and the wording ("cannot remain in its current form"), it's pretty clear that they're just coming out of beta and going into the real release. It's a really dumb publicity stunt, but it's still just a publicity stunt.

See http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/19/digital-distribution-retailer-good-old-games-shuts-down/

and

http://www.bankier.pl/forum/temat_re-info-od-cdp-male-podsumowanie-z-mojej-strony,8841141.html

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it is a publicity stunt, they should fire every single one of their PR people. I honestly can't imagine anyone thinking this is how you go out of beta.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Yeah that's a pretty lovely way of treating your current customers.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ImpAtom posted:

If it is a publicity stunt, they should fire every single one of their PR people. I honestly can't imagine anyone thinking this is how you go out of beta.

Yeah, I could see doing that for an hour or so while you switched over or whatever, but a complete down turn like that is a bit harsh.

This is a horribly stupid move. I'm not done with the company, I'm waiting to see what they are setting up, if DRM is added, I'm going to grab everything they have and just stick to steam.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I still find it impossible to believe this is just a stunt. If they're not really shutting down then they're only doing things this way to distract from some other controversial change (like adding in DRM). No corporation that actually wanted to continue making money would do something like this simply for shits and giggles.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
If it is indeed a publicity stunt, it has effectively killed whatever good will I had for GOG. A tremendous mis-step. When a way to download all my games again becomes available i'm just going to download the install files, back them up, and never buy anything from them again. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

And gently caress you for making Freespace 2 no longer abandonware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Very late to the party, but after seeing 450 new replies, I thought we finally snagged EA or something, so I go to the site, and...WHAT THE gently caress?!

This is horrible on so many levels. There were a ton of games I still wanted to buy from the service. Now I'm even more glad I just bought a PS3. :(