Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Okay, here we go!

First, the open box:

Mini-figs and vehicles first of course, and an observance. I could tell from the box that the transport would be pretty basic, and it is:

Lots of wasted space, but of course, it's not the centerpiece of the set. Here they are all together:

The aliens are pretty cool, but there's clearly a superior character, whom I think I shall call Captain Winchester:

Anyway, onto the lounge. Its pretty simple, but has plenty of nice pieces. The coffee maker is only 3 pieces but it's a nice touch. It also shows how this set has a LOT of bricks, short and tall, with the grove in it for sliding doors. You could make a really tall sliding door with all of them.

There's two launchers for the space scooters (whatever) that feel kinda... useless. I get the idea but I wonder if its a piece count that couldn't have been put to better use. The security fence as well feels tacked on, but I'm just nit-picking.

Now for the fun part, the main building. I thought the sideways garage door was awesome on the box, and the actual mechanism doesn't disappoint. It's quite simple, but I just like it at the same time. I think it's easily the best part of the set.

After the garage comes the command center, but first, another observation! The instructions and Bricklink show that this set has a new style of gun/blaster, but my particular set at least, only has the old style. I'm sure that they're trying to use up the old style before including the new.

The command center is complete with a Bush-style Terror Alert Meter, and proves what I've always suspected; frogs are not to be trusted, and this one is safely contained in an evidence locker.

The sensor station/prisoner management is pretty boring and predictable, so here's pics of the main baseplate all done:

I do like the target practice range in the back though, and the stickers remind me of District 9 (but of course I haven't applied them :smug:)

And finally, the extra pieces:

I really like this set. Like, REALLY like it. I spent enough time just opening the garage door to drive through it to qualify for OCD. I don't think it's as well furnished as some of the City Police Stations, but it's futuristic, modern and retro at the same time. It's not perfect; the main structure is a little flimsy and can't resist sideways pressure very well, and some of it is obvious afterthought.

But I daresay... it's my new favorite base. I have very fond memories of Ice Station Odyssey (which in comparison, is rather expensive), the Monorail Transport Base was huge and impressive (and again, quite expensive!), but this somehow is better. I like that all the buildings are made, not molded, and it has a more cohesive architectural sense. I love it so much, Red Shirt isn't allowed to smash it:

Oh yeah, final thought. This set is even better on sale, and I got it for about $57. If you want it and its on sale, I would definitely say "Get it."

EDIT 2: I've just realized, the sticker for the frog's box says "Sniffer Frog". So I guess it's not a criminal, but a specially trained amphibious detector. I still don't trust 'em :colbert:.
EDIT BLARG: There's also a sticker for the alien speeder that says 'Insectoid Rule'. HMM.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Oh my god, look at all that Official SNOTing on that garage door thing. Nice!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would not stop playing with that garage door either if I had this set.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
And you gotta make whooshing noises as it opens. The Fire Brigade has a giant garage door on it. I like to do a little "door goes up, door goes down" myself.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm sure all the regulars to this thread check TBB, but this is just too much fun to not post here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's a sweet looking Police Base! I dig.

Finished up the 599 last night:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

That's a sweet looking Police Base! I dig.

Finished up the 599 last night:

This looks pretty nice, too bad I'll never find one discounted, ha.

I should visit Big Kmart more often, since I just found 8075 Neptune Carrier at a huge discount. Normally $60, it was on clearance for $45, and on top of that, all clearance is marked down an extra 20%.

So I got it for $38.47 after taxes :dance:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I let out an audible moan when I scrolled down and saw that 599. Did you get it at Lasting Toys, aka the store that I should raid to but never go to?

Today was double-time pay at work, so I'm rewarding myself with the Lamborghini Polizia and Medieval Market Village. Had no idea that the Polizia was even available until someone mentioned it a few pages back; tempted to get the Gallardo too, because every cop needs a speeder to chase.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

InfinEight posted:

What a thing I have made!

What is it? I dunno! But I'm forcing myself to go to bed.

It looks like you started building a Metal Gear RAY but gave up v:shobon:v

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

emoltra posted:

I do Lego doodles like that all the time. Sometime I use them right away other times I just file it away for later inspiration.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So I got it in my mind to start building a tank. What I have so far looks OK, considering I'm stuck using the rubber tracks you see on the 7248 excavator. My wife's pump truck is starting to come along decently but she's hit a road block parts wise and wants to place an order on bricklink. Perfect time to pick up some proper tracks for my tank.

Now I'm stuck wondering how many I need. I'm thinking of picking up enough of the wide technic track for wide tracks and a bunch of chain that I can use either in single width or doubling up for smaller tracks.

Now, how much do I need? I'd want at least enough to do a 20 stud long tank with either one string of 3873 track per side or 2 strings of 3711 track per side while using the 24 tooth gears for the wheels.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Now, how much do I need? I'd want at least enough to do a 20 stud long tank with either one string of 3873 track per side or 2 strings of 3711 track per side while using the 24 tooth gears for the wheels.

Well, for example, the Bat-Tank came with 158 of them to make really long tracks. For you I'd say 60-80 would be safe, but if you like, I could actually mock it up for you myself and give you a more accurate count :shobon: Basically you're looking for how many it takes to make a full loop using only two 24 tooth gears 20 studs apart, right?

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2010

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

InfinEight posted:

The aliens are pretty cool, but there's clearly a superior character, whom I think I shall call Captain Winchester:

You can't have more than one neckpiece on a minifig, that looks retarded. Look how big his stupid neck is!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Sockser posted:

You can't have more than one neckpiece on a minifig, that looks retarded. Look how big his stupid neck is!

Captain Winchester has no time for your complaints! [zooms off on his space scooter]

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Dano on flickr is usually up on new set pics. He's posting some for 2011 now. I think I like the direction Atlantis is going:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Holy poo poo that is a beautiful set

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

New Space Shuttle and Spaceport, too. The new Shuttle uses that new one-piece airplane nose, and I do not approve. The new Spaceport, though, that's pretty hot poo poo. Fuckin Delta booster, man.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Well, for example, the Bat-Tank came with 158 of them to make really long tracks. For you I'd say 60-80 would be safe, but if you like, I could actually mock it up for you myself and give you a more accurate count :shobon: Basically you're looking for how many it takes to make a full loop using only two 24 tooth gears 20 studs apart, right?

If you have the time that'd be awesome, even if it's just the smaller chain. After looking at the bat tank I'm in a better position to guessstimate how much of the wide track I'll need.

That pump truck my wife is putting together is going to cost me a fortune. She's rainbow warrioring it, picking out a color scheme after wards, handing me a parts list and saying 'this is my birthday gift'.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jordanis posted:

New Space Shuttle and Spaceport, too. The new Shuttle uses that new one-piece airplane nose, and I do not approve. The new Spaceport, though, that's pretty hot poo poo. Fuckin Delta booster, man.

I agree with the 'begin hating' comment about that monstrous ninja bike. It's the size of some of the bikes in the creator line but for a mini-fig? Come on.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Clearly you never built anything cool enough for your minifig space chief to ride.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm in Target, and looking at the collector's edition of Halo: Reach. I'm kinda waffling on getting it, and my wife says to me.. "You've hated every game you've bought in the past year. Why don't you just get that Lego set you've been wanting? You stand there and stare at it for ten minutes every time you see it."

I feel like it was definitely the right choice.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

TremorX posted:

I'm in Target, and looking at the collector's edition of Halo: Reach. I'm kinda waffling on getting it, and my wife says to me.. "You've hated every game you've bought in the past year. Why don't you just get that Lego set you've been wanting? You stand there and stare at it for ten minutes every time you see it."

Your wife is a wise woman, and you're a very lucky man.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That new Slave 1 is just ridiculously cool looking. I think they really nailed it, and it's a far cry from the original, which was bright green and very blocky.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

TremorX posted:

That new Fett minifig makes me a lot angrier than it should. At this rate, in another 10 years the Star Wars minifigs will be detailed to the point of basically being small action figures.

And don't even get me started on the Slave 1, between all the technic bits and large specialized rounded pieces there's barely any Lego in the friggin thing.

But oh that Bossk and Carbonite block...

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2010

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Dano on flickr is usually up on new set pics. He's posting some for 2011 now. I think I like the direction Atlantis is going:

Oh. My. DICK

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

Oh. My. DICK

Now you have something to live for!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Captain Invictus posted:

Now you have something to live for!

Except I'll never be able to buy it without a job!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

emoltra posted:

It's definitely too small for a RAY, but I have good news! My Robin Williams Fruit Combine continues to evolve.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

Except I'll never be able to buy it without a job!

Then follow the suggestions some people including myself have made to get one, and then you can buy this Atlantis set, and then you Will Be Happy Soul!

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

djfooboo posted:

I'm sure all the regulars to this thread check TBB, but this is just too much fun to not post here.

I love this. However, it does remind me that now there are about 3-4 colours of bricks which appear nowhere in my collection - pink, orange, sky blue, pale green.

But then again, the last model I had bought for me was this wonderful beast:

And the last one I bought (for me) was this:

And just for nostalgia, I think this was the one model I always wanted and never got (apart from the really big pirate ship that "that one kid" always had, and everyone secretly wanted:

Some day soon, I'm going to get some cash together and go ebay/bricklink the hell out of some weights of Lego.

Edit: Just looked on bricklink - there must be 20 colours I just don't have. Whatever happened to red/blue/yellow/white/black (green boards)? When I was a lad...

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 20, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I know this is kind of off-topic, but I figured if anybody can appreciate this its a bunch of legoons.

I am actually in a position right now where being a lego hobbyist may actually help me get laid.

Has hell frozen over?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If hell has frozen over they will need an AstroZamboni for sure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Death of Rats posted:

apart from the really big pirate ship that "that one kid" always had, and everyone secretly wanted

Does that make me "that kid" because I have the Imperial Flagship?

I urge everyone who can to buy that one. It rules.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I was so tempted to nab it at the LEGO store. It's expensive, but drat does it look sweet. I have $20 in LEGO rewards points or whatever, too. I've also really been eyeing that Cargo Train set for the last week or so now.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
:siren: Toys R Us is doing a buy 2 get 3rd free sale on all LEGO (except Star Wars and tubs) :siren:

Wasn't able to pick up the perpetually out of stock motorized excavator, so I had to make do with a couple of mobile cranes. They'll make pretty good gifts, and at effectlvely $67 a pop, it's not a bad deal.

Also apologies if this has been posted already, but according to the LEGO store, the Tower Bridge set being released next week is set at $239.99.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Series 3 Minifigs GO!

I want Space Pirate/Cyborg and Legolas. Also that samurai.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I particularly like the fly fisherman, the mustachioed aviator and the samurai.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

InfinEight posted:

Anyway, onto the lounge. Its pretty simple, but has plenty of nice pieces. The coffee maker is only 3 pieces but it's a nice touch. It also shows how this set has a LOT of bricks, short and tall, with the grove in it for sliding doors. You could make a really tall sliding door with all of them.

Are there any Castle sets with these sliding groove pieces that actually use a mechanism for raising/lowering the gate? I want to put one in my current project, but I want it to work on a principle other than "the giant hand of God reaches down and opens the gate for us."

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I remember when I was a kid I had a castle set that had a lowering drawbridge with a string, which I'm pretty sure connected to a crank or something.

edit: It was this bad boy, which apparently has no crank, but I think adding one would be pretty trivial. Make sure the handle is theoretically minifig-operable!

donut fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BrainWeasel posted:

Are there any Castle sets with these sliding groove pieces that actually use a mechanism for raising/lowering the gate? I want to put one in my current project, but I want it to work on a principle other than "the giant hand of God reaches down and opens the gate for us."

You could get the Hoth base set with the working sliding doors and mount it sideways? The pieces are all white/grey anyway so they'd 'go'.