Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

rt4 posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but their favicon is different now. Smells like redesign!

Yeah, my current guess is that gog has basically decided that owning the store frontend is a bit pointless, so they've tried to get on Steam/Impulse/Gamersgate and publish their games there. However, none of those parent companies are going to allow GoG to sell their games on their services with a competing website, so the website is pulled (and immediately due to some legalese)

At least that's what I hope :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Hemish posted:

Is it just me but they removed the information about waiting until today to know what's up? I checked Twitter this morning by following the link on gog.com and I can't see the 2-3 messages they had talking about that yesterday. Now it only shows a very negative message dated last Friday.
We must be reading different Twitters, because this is what I see:

quote:

The official statement from GOG's management about the situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Here's hoping for an FTP site to access our new installers with Starforce! :)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Gashroom posted:

We must be reading different Twitters, because this is what I see:

Ah yes I'm at work and everything is set to canadian french and for some reason it means the page is not up to date. Going back to the main page, selecting english and returning to Good Old Games Twitter fixed it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PC Gamer's website says they'll have an interview with the GOG guys on Thursday.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

The Kins posted:

PC Gamer's website says they'll have an interview with the GOG guys on Thursday.

Twitter will beat that by around two days. But keep it up, PCG!

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
There's a new post on NeoGAF saying that some polish website has contacted GOG.com and was told that it was supposedly bought by one of it's competitors:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23435805&postcount=559

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sudbina posted:

There's a new post on NeoGAF saying that some polish website has contacted GOG.com and was told that it was supposedly bought by one of it's competitors:

Please let competitors mean Steam, Impulse or GamersGate and not Atari/EA/Ubisoft/etc.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Sudbina posted:

GOG bought by Steam? That would be awesome, but that's got to be complete bullshit.

I'm with those folks who don't believe this is a marketing/PR thing, but rather that GOG is simply closing its doors. I've been through a few tech company meltdowns and inevitably you have some PR or management type person telling the press that everything is going to be fine, the service will stay up, etc. while at the same time they are just laying everybody off and selling all their equipment as fast as possible.

All we really know is, the site is down, our stuff is inaccessible, and the same one or two quotes from some random guy are being reposted all over a bunch of forums and gaming blogs. It's nice to keep hope alive and everything, and I do certainly hope I get a chance to redownload all the installers I didn't back up, but I doubt GOG will continue to exist in any form.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
As a few other posters have mentioned, if this is a PR thing, this is the worst loving marketing move ever. They'd have definitely lost a bunch of customers from the whole thing, and gotten a lot of negative press from it. There's really no chance that's the case

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sudbina posted:

Of all the ways this could end, this is the best

In fact... It's almost a good thing

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Please let competitors mean Steam, Impulse or GamersGate and not Atari/EA/Ubisoft/etc.

"One of its competitors" would probably mean a competing DD site and not a publisher.

I just hope it's not loving Impulse.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

"One of its competitors" would probably mean a competing DD site and not a publisher.

I just hope it's not loving Impulse.

Honest question: why?

Impulse is an awful platform mechanically, but stardock is at least philosophically aligned with GoG to an extent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lamacq posted:

GOG bought by Steam? That would be awesome

I don't see how if it means GOG games are distributed through Steam only.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I think Gamersgate would be a good fit, to be honest.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Ansob. posted:

I don't see how if it means GOG games are distributed through Steam only.

Personally I really don't care about the DRM, as long as it's unobtrusive and just works, like Steam does. I just want the games I bought to remain accessible, and I want classic PC games available and supported on modern OSes for $6 or $10. If they have to wrap the executables in DRM to keep them available, then so be it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

ikanreed posted:

Honest question: why?

Impulse is an awful platform mechanically, but stardock is at least philosophically aligned with GoG to an extent.

They're really not. Their "Gamers' Bill of Rights" isn't even supported anymore and their CEO throws a bitch-fit on their forums whenever there's any widespread complaints about the platform.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Ok its monday so wheres our goddamn announcement?

:argh:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The impulse software is a big old bag of puke.

I think the new business plan should be for every gog installer to give you a free copy of bonzi buddy whether you want it or not.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lamacq posted:

Personally I really don't care about the DRM, as long as it's unobtrusive and just works, like Steam does. I just want the games I bought to remain accessible, and I want classic PC games available and supported on modern OSes for $6 or $10. If they have to wrap the executables in DRM to keep them available, then so be it.

It would make some sense; Valve are the guys with the money and they do get a bit of flak for selling games that won't actually work on modern systems. Buying up the talent from GoG wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I must say that from all the options to get DRM into old games, Steam is the one that I would prefer. I'm only using Steam and GoG to buy my digital games so only one source would be great.

I kind of doubt Steam is really the buyer.

One thing is for certain, I'm with Nthman, it's Monday so where is the announcement or the promised explanation! :argh:

Alchenar posted:

It would make some sense; Valve are the guys with the money and they do get a bit of flak for selling games that won't actually work on modern systems. Buying up the talent from GoG wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I forgot about that, a talent to fix the few old games that are already on Steam but kind of iffy would be nice too.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Steam would be terrible. They don't update their old games and make sure they work on newer systems. If they took those same principles that GoG had, then it'd be cool, but as of now it's even more shadier.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Well here is some sort of update about the situation with GOG.

http://translate.google.com/transla..._old_games.html

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Nthman posted:

If true, I guess that just confirms that they are morons.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Calling it now, it's a PR Stunt and to make up for the upset, they either give previous users massive discounts on something or a free game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Calling it now, it's not a PR stunt. Something unexpected happened, probably when the new shareholders got majority. All these "sources" saying it's a PR stunt are just random people on forums. Why is anybody believing them?

You don't post a weekend deal, then have a planned shut down for the weekend.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If that is really a publicity stunt, Im ready to forgive then if they reopen with some new features and some great new games and still true to its principles.

If it aint, well, is not only sad, but also very disappointing, considering that is a really lovely way to go out of business and betray the confidence of your costumers.

I do think is just a prank, though, for the wording on that announcement and for the fact they just had done releasing a great title.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A bit late, but

Achmed Jones posted:

My favorite part about the whole GOG shutdown/relaunch thing is that I've never ordered from them. My girlfriend mentioned that she tried to get some old game called Mystic Towers to run on her computer and couldn't make it work, so I thought maybe GOG would have an easy-to-use version for $5 or something. The first time I went to their site with an actual intent to purchase something, it was down.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Oh man, if GoG had Mystic Towers I would have bought that in a loving heartbeat. Just sayin'.

Squiggle posted:

Mystic Towers is, to this day, one of my favorite games ever.

Please tell me how you get it working if you do. I still have the disks. :(

:confused:

Mystic Towers is a DOS game, it works fine in DOSBox. Grab dosbox + your frontend of choice (such as DBGL), install Mystic Towers in it, done. No need for GOG patch voodoo.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
My guess is that they left the wording open because they're still fighting with the people who matter about if they can stay open or not. They were probably forced to shut down, but are still trying and negotiating to keep something open.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nthman posted:

And now the article is gone. :tinfoil:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

MMAgCh posted:

And now the article is gone. :tinfoil:

The german Gamestar is not exactly a reputable source. And i say this as a german.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What'd it say anyway?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Wow this is just nuts. I get back from a busy weekend, there's 500+ posts in the gog thread and the site is gone-but-maybe-not-gone.

All I know for sure is this:

Party Plane Jones posted:

edit: thanks AxeManiac for making me paranoid enough to redownload all my stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope it's not Steam. My Steam games list is already mountainous. I don't need more games I'll forget to play.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Healbot posted:

What'd it say anyway?
That according to some guy at CD Projekt, it's only a PR stunt to prepare for the site's upcoming second anniversary.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wanted to redownload UT2004 and noticed that the site was gone. Please tell me that this is a joke. I PAID FOR THOSE GAMES ARGH. Luckily I got my backups, but still.

I bet the installers are gonna show up on torrent sites now as an angry response to this.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 20, 2010

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I have serious trouble believing this is a PR stunt or a hilarious prank or what have you. My guess is whatever's going on is something they had planned for a while, but then someone high up in corporate dropped the hammer on Sunday and said DO IT NOW and they had to shut the site down within the half hour instead of doing things at all gracefully.

If they do add DRM, I'm not too heartbroken as long as it's not one of those schemes that requires versions X, Y and Z of Windows to work, and gives the middle finger to whatever version you have six years down the line (the disc versions of Still Life and Beyond Good & Evil refuse to install on Windows 7 64-bit; I was planning to get them on GOG, but, welp). The main value of the service to me has been their effort to patch the games to mostly work on current systems, and if they continue doing that, it'd probably take an EA-style "be online at all times" DRM to make me cut and run forever.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

flamedrake posted:

If they do add DRM.

They better not. One of their main selling points was that there was no DRM whatsoever. I liked the ability to back up my installers and have no restrictions on how many computers I install the games to.

I really do hope it's a joke, it'd be the best prank online since the invention of the Rickroll.

Blodskur posted:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

That is not good enough. There were so many games on my wishlist that I wanted to buy. :cry:

This isn't a joke is it? I'll never trust another digital distributor again. Oh well, all good things have to come to an end, I guess. :sigh:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Problem is: being DRM-free was the major selling point of GOG.

To me they were trying to prove a point, that selling good games, DRM-free with good support and service is more effective in convincing people to buy than annoying intrusive DRM schemes.

Me and I lot of people here were actively supporting GOG because of its principles. I bought many games on GOG that I already had rather have then DRM free as a file I can download anywhere, anytime, and also to support this incredible unique new initiative.

And thats why, if they come back with DRM, they lost all their credibility with me and Im not buying from then again.

I really wish they would come back as GO ("Good Games"), same principles, same quality, now also selling new games. If that happens, I will be buying poo poo like crazy just to support their business model.

Not likely to happen, It would be awesome.