Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Crappy posted:

Getting thrown around by a 250 pound guy is bad enough, I can't imagine trusting a drunk or hungover 250 pound guy not to drop me on my head.

People worked well enough with Scott Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crappy posted:

Getting thrown around by a 250 pound guy is bad enough, I can't imagine trusting a drunk or hungover 250 pound guy not to drop me on my head.

You can't wrestle CM Punk every night. And even if you did, you might still have to trust a guy to not drop you on your head after sleeping with your girlfriend.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Was there ever any woman more sexy in the WWF than Sensational Sherri?

This is a rhetorical question; I know the answer is no.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shitty_Wok posted:

Was there ever any woman more sexy in the WWF than Sensational Sherri?

This is a rhetorical question; I know the answer is no.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Burrito posted:

:stare:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Something about the slight blurring on that picture makes me think of a N64 Gameshark code for a wrestling game.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Does ROH do anything to make it's stuff accessible to an internetiuonal audience?

I don't know much about ROH but the impression that I get from these forums is that they have a very limited American television deal.

ROH has me really curious, I have so many mixed seemingly incompatible impressions from what I've read about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Does ROH do anything to make it's stuff accessible to an internetiuonal audience?

I don't know much about ROH but the impression that I get from these forums is that they have a very limited American television deal.

ROH has me really curious, I have so many mixed seemingly incompatible impressions from what I've read about it.

They have signed deals for their HDNet show in Italy and France. They ship DVDs internationally which are region 0, and they offer their VOD site for anyone to order from.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Burrito posted:

I'll send my medical bills to you due to burnt lips. The gaze froze me solid, hot coffee locked against my lips, burning them into a shriveled oblivion. Viewing that picture makes my soul feel as if its being judged.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks MassRayPer, I was hoping they had a VOD service.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks MassRayPer, I was hoping they had a VOD service.

http://www.rohvideos.com/ Stuff goes on there after the initial DVD production run sells out.

You can also find the HDNet show on youtube on ROHBrazil's profile.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
So I'm going to my first Chikara show in Brooklyn today. I'm kinda familiar with most of the workers (and very stoked to see Manami Toyota) but I have no understanding of what seems to be a major faction in the company, the BDK. Can someone catch me up on that, and anything else I should urgently know, real quick?

Also do they throw streamers at these things like at ROH? I like throwing streamers.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Bikeage posted:

So I'm going to my first Chikara show in Brooklyn today. I'm kinda familiar with most of the workers (and very stoked to see Manami Toyota) but I have no understanding of what seems to be a major faction in the company, the BDK. Can someone catch me up on that, and anything else I should urgently know, real quick?

Also do they throw streamers at these things like at ROH? I like throwing streamers.

Might be worth asking in the Indie thread for more knowledgable answers, but a recap of what's happened since the BDK were revealed

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZcimoQO8bc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJjKGN3M4Q

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bikeage posted:

I would be shocked if the fans did not throw streamers for Toyota.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What is the connection between Soma's being banned and Matt Hardy? I keep seeing people mentioning that he is responsible but i cant find any specific mention about it.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Oasx posted:

What is the connection between Soma's being banned and Matt Hardy? I keep seeing people mentioning that he is responsible but i cant find any specific mention about it.

I don't know if there is any specific connection, but when Jeff was arrested there was 180 Somas in his house so people may be connecting them that way

The Jean Genie
Jan 1, 2010

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS
With what APS said, and that Somas might be the reason for Matt's bloated arse getting kicked off the European(?) tour, and that the WWE is making a note of this by banning the substance altogether.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
More opinion related question, who's career path in the past is most comparable with Orton's up to now? Rock?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Were Shawn Michaels' boots really padded on the bottom that he never broke anyone's jaw with SCM? Cause every instance I've seen of him doing it, it certainly doesn't look pulled in anyway.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Orgophlax posted:

Were Shawn Michaels' boots really padded on the bottom that he never broke anyone's jaw with SCM? Cause every instance I've seen of him doing it, it certainly doesn't look pulled in anyway.

In Bret's book, he complained about how unforgiving Shawn's "motorcycle boots" were but that very well could be him being Bret Hart...

I'm very curious now too.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

Orgophlax posted:

I believe the idea is to have the receiver make it look real, while Shawn just sticks his leg in vaguely the right spot.

Also deliver it with either a slack knee or with your body twisted so that any unspent momentum is transferred to Shawns leg, not the receivers chin. Slack knee bends on impact and looks kinda like a recoil.

Edit - That isn't to say that running into a boot of any kind face first wouldn't hurt. Using the Benoit theory, the best way to make it look real is to make it real. Some people hit his leg pretty drat hard. Probably just as much of a concern is the old mans knee's.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Also Shawn Michaels is the best ever so I would guess he just made it look good like everything else he did.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Orgophlax posted:

If you stand far enough away you won't hit someone. Also, don't you think padded boots would be a problem when running ropes, trying not to slip, etc?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

WeaselWeaz posted:

If you stand far enough away you won't hit someone. Also, don't you think padded boots would be a problem when running ropes, trying not to slip, etc?

Most boots I've seen have a significant amount of padding on the bottom

EDIT: compared to real boots

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 20, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Save Russian Jews posted:

Most boots I've seen have a significant amount of padding on the bottom

EDIT: compared to real boots

Padding or lifts? Two different things. Padding, to me, is like stuffing a boxing glove and does not support a firm standing surface.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WeaselWeaz posted:

Padding or lifts? Two different things. Padding, to me, is like stuffing a boxing glove and does not support a firm standing surface.

It looks to be more of a foam-rubberish kind of material, about the consistency of an amateur wrestling mat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Save Russian Jews posted:

It looks to be more of a foam-rubberish kind of material, about the consistency of an amateur wrestling mat.

That's about right; Kevin Nash talks about Scott Hall stiffing him constantly after he got his boots resoled because the new foam rubber slid on the mat.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CombineThresher posted:

That's about right; Kevin Nash talks about Scott Hall stiffing him constantly after he got his boots resoled because the new foam rubber slid on the mat.

Holy poo poo I haven't actually been right about something in forever

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Another question: Are there any other good behind-the-scenes look at wrestling (WWF/E & WCW in particular) movies, other than Wrestling with Shadows and Beyond the Mat?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Orgophlax posted:

Another question: Are there any other good behind-the-scenes look at wrestling (WWF/E & WCW in particular) movies, other than Wrestling with Shadows and Beyond the Mat?

Not with those two companies. Well, I mean there was the A&E thing The Untold History of Professional Wrestling, not sure if that counts.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Lamuella posted:

is there a recorded incident of any wrestling federation actually using a "stunt granny" as mentioned in "Exposed, pro wrestling's secrets"?
I distinctly remember Hulk Hogan getting into an argument with an elder lady on a Nitro in 1997. I think that's where that stupid show got the idea about a "stunt granny".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Not with those two companies. Well, I mean there was the A&E thing The Untold History of Professional Wrestling, not sure if that counts.

That wouldn't really count if someone wanted something good.

This was an in house WWE production, but "The Mania of Wrestlemania" is an interesting watch and probably ended up being a bit darker than WWE wanted at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And The Rise and Fall of ECW is probably as close to an objective look at that promotion as WWE will ever be involved with. Maybe supplement it with the Shane Douglas counterpart movie, the name of which I forget right now.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

This was an in house WWE production, but "The Mania of Wrestlemania" is an interesting watch and probably ended up being a bit darker than WWE wanted at the time.

This is a great documentary, especially the Stone Cold parts.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

And The Rise and Fall of ECW is probably as close to an objective look at that promotion as WWE will ever be involved with. Maybe supplement it with the Shane Douglas counterpart movie, the name of which I forget right now.

Forever Hardcore.

You honestly have to watch them back to back to get 50% of the story of ECW.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lone Rogue posted:

Forever Hardcore.

Directed by "JB" Jeremy Borash. To the back!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

ChampRamp posted:

That's like asking if The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pro Wrestling is on par with the Observer.

It isn't. In any way possible or theoretical.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

MassRayPer posted:

Is that the "Wrestlemania: The Movie" thing they were talking about during Wrestlemania 19 (i think) or is it something else?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MrMondayNight posted:

Is that the "Wrestlemania: The Movie" thing they were talking about during Wrestlemania 19 (i think) or is it something else?

Yep, same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

WeaselWeaz posted:

That's like asking if The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pro Wrestling is on par with the Observer.

It isn't. In any way possible or theoretical.

The A&E special isn't completely void of merit. The stuff on the early days of wrestling up to the Gorgeous George era is very interesting, and that's an era that WWE really doesn't do a whole lot on in their current DVD offerings.

When they get up to the 80s, then it gets fishy, because its a lot of guys pushing their own (circa 98) agendas. In particular, Hogan body slamming Andre in front of 420,000 sscreaming Hulkamaniacs where he wasn't sure if Andre was gonna let him go over and then Andre died the day after and blah blah blah.