Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hey swatjester did you see the CQ Weekly Researcher this week on social media privacy? It was pretty good.

e: http://www.cqpress.com/product/Researcher-Cyber-Socializing-v16-27.html

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Tetrix posted:

woah congrats. got any tips on writing it?

Try to find a circuit split on an issue, then analyze it and either pick a side or propose a third option. Some people take the route of trying to predict a case that's been granted cert (like a whole bunch of IP folks did Bilski), but that kind of puts a time limit of your note as far as publication is concerned. I was lucky enough to have a circuit split on an issue involving preemption of my state's law by the Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act, with the Supreme Court doing me a favor of having Roberts recuse himself and issuing a 4-4 opinion so it was basically worthless for precedential value.

Also I got the idea from reading drug and device legal blogs, if you're interested in a legal topic try to find what the practitioners are writing and worrying about.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Petey posted:

Hey swatjester did you see the CQ Weekly Researcher this week on social media privacy? It was pretty good.

e: http://www.cqpress.com/product/Researcher-Cyber-Socializing-v16-27.html

Hmm, interesting. I'm gunning for a privacy counsel position and I'll definitely have to read up on this.

Also Petey, have you seen the IGDA/AIAS brief on Schwarzenegger v. EMA? It just got filed the other day, as did EMA/ESA's Respondent's merits brief: http://bit.ly/IGDAAmicus

It's actually really interesting. California's briefs look like they were argued by a 0L gunner, while EMA and IGDA's are much better and much more direct.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 18, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SWATJester posted:

Hmm, interesting. I'm gunning for a privacy counsel position and I'll definitely have to read up on this.

Also Petey, have you seen the IGDA/AIAS brief on Schwarzenegger v. EMA? It just got filed the other day, as did EMA/ESA's Respondent's merits brief: http://bit.ly/IGDAAmicus

It's actually really interesting. California's briefs look like they were argued by a 0L gunner, while EMA and IGDA's are much better and much more direct.

yes

I haven't had a chance to read it - work has been crazy lately so I'm way backlogged on anything besides my direct daily duties. That said, I'll definitely print this out to read on the bus ASAP. It looks like a really interesting read.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I love how the state's least restrictive means analysis (which they were dinged on at both courts below) is literally one page basically saying "It's the least restrictive means", without addressing the Ninth Circuit's ruling that existing ESRB ratings are a lesser restrictive means.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Law School Trip Report:

WHY THE gently caress CAN'T I WRITE A LEGAL MEMO.

WHY.

WHY.

OH GOD IT HURTS.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Jove posted:

Law School Trip Report:

WHY.

WHY.

OH GOD IT HURTS.

Someday down the road you will crank out a legal memo in like 1 day and you will look back on this time of your life and laugh at how hard you thought it was.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

Someday down the road you will crank out a legal memo in like 1 day and you will look back on this time of your life and laugh at how hard you thought it was.

1 day my rear end. An hour and a half.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
what is a legal memo?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

what is a legal memo?
Like a motion but internal or something.

I have submitted a memo to the court in a criminal case (because PC1385 says I have to make an invitation to dismiss instead of a motions and you attach a memo to it). I won too.

-----

Thanks you C&P motions, I can draw up a suppression motion in like 20 minutes. Woo! (This amde possible because cops always do the same things)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jove posted:

Law School Trip Report:

WHY.

WHY.

OH GOD IT HURTS.

Remember this: if you want to win the big-dollar lottery, you will literally only write memos 12hrs/day for 6-7 days/week for, oh, 7 years before you become a partner.

Then you can write for 18hrs/day! Hooray!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 20, 2010

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

In case it hasn't been posted already

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Lemonus posted:

In case it hasn't been posted already

Savvy to market your firm to that wealthy demographic of People Who Pick Law Firms Based on Music They Like.

I suppose now is a good time as any to announce the opening of my new divorce law firm, Sex Pistols and Associates. Our motto will either be "I'm not your stepping stone," or just just "Liar."

Seriously though, what attorney would be stupid enough to infringe on the IP of a somewhat well known one hit wonder by ripping off their name and best known song?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 20, 2010

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
What is the best way to deal with a cop during a routine traffic stop? How would a lawyer/law student handle things ideally?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Feeling this:

Jove posted:

Law School Trip Report:

WHY.

WHY.

OH GOD IT HURTS.
But knowing this:

J Miracle posted:

Is frustrating as hell.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GamingHyena posted:

Seriously though, what attorney would be stupid enough to infringe on the IP of a somewhat well known one hit wonder by ripping off their name and best known song?

How dare you, sir!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Totally Negro posted:

What is the best way to deal with a cop during a routine traffic stop? How would a lawyer/law student handle things ideally?

"Yes sir."
"Here is my license and registration."

I don't get the question.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Totally Negro posted:

That would depend on whether I wanted to make some stand about "my rights" or just cooperate and get on with my day. I've been pulled over four times. The three times I had actually broken a law (speeding, speeding, and expired tags), I politely answered all the questions and proceeded on my way without anything more than a warning.

The other time I had not broken a law. I was pulled over by an off-duty detective in an unmarked car who was mad that I'd passed him on a two-lane road while he sat chatting with someone out his window. I took a stand with that guy and, although it worked out, I did end up sitting there for a long time.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Thanks you C&P motions, I can draw up a suppression motion in like 20 minutes. Woo! (This amde possible because cops always do the same things)

Also made possible because cops/defs often do different things. Because apparently def attys don't care about using old motions in literally every single case, almost entirely untouched if possible. Hmm a reconsider sentencing motion, claiming that the def has a loving and supporting family... in a case where he murdered them all? oops, but just wait until you see the new trial motion with bullet points that have persisted since before my birth.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Totally Negro posted:

Start with a 20 minute diatribe entitled "legalize it brosef". Then just rant on some obscure issue that you feel violates the constitution (I recommend city code compliance).

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Totally Negro posted:

Ideally you would want to be a white person when stopped.

Hope this helps.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

GamingHyena posted:

The band's name is taken from something that already existed during the Holocaust. The song is "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and not "Love will tear you apart." Would Joy Division really get anything from this law firm?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Totally Negro posted:

The most important thing is to immediately identify yourself as a law student so that the cop knows you know what you're talking about. Then your arguments will be treated with respect so you should make as many as possible; he'll understand, he's only a cop (explain that to him if you feel it's necessary).

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

The most important thing is to immediately identify yourself as a law student so that the cop knows you know what you're talking about. Then your arguments will be treated with respect so you should make as many as possible; he'll understand, he's only a cop (explain that to him if you feel it's necessary).

For the full experience, I suggest asserting strongly that you are, in fact, a pre-law major and you know things.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Lykourgos posted:

For the full experience, I suggest asserting strongly that you are, in fact, a pre-law major and you know things.

Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?"
"Or somebody important or somethin'?"
Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MoFauxHawk posted:

The band's name is taken from something that already existed during the Holocaust. The song is "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and not "Love will tear you apart." Would Joy Division really get anything from this law firm?
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that a) Queen Victoria Furniture Store can't sue Queen Victoria Chocolates, for example, and b) Ian Curtis is deader than disco.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?"
"Or somebody important or somethin'?"
Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my poo poo

We'll see how smart you are when the K-9 come.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that a) Queen Victoria Furniture Store can't sue Queen Victoria Chocolates, for example, and b) Ian Curtis is deader than disco.

I only wish disco and everything it spawned were that dead.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
"The Associates" (pt.1)

"The Associates" (pt. 2)

"Look, I need this job! I owe $27,000 in student loans!"

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
OCI update despite being very firmly in the top quarter of a T30 school and being on a secondary journal with a ton of soft factors including 2 clerkships and financing/budgeting experience I just received word from the last of my first round interviews.

Like everything else, it was a rejection letter.

Oh well, time to move on to personal injury I guess.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
:siren: GOT AN OFFER :siren:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: GOT AN OFFER :siren:

Congrats, what's the job/firm like?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
In sadder news, I got rejected by my lateral position :( Apparently, I don't have quite the experience they're looking for, but I want to leave because I'm not getting the experience I want, so I'm kind of stuck.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

evilweasel posted:

Congrats, what's the job/firm like?

V20 in SoCal, not the power center of the firm (and never will be) but they're in growth mode. Lots of litigation, some corporate. And thanks bud.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sigmachiev posted:

V20 in SoCal, not the power center of the firm (and never will be) but they're in growth mode. Lots of litigation, some corporate. And thanks bud.

drat, sounds pretty good.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

Nice, that's a lovely place to practice

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

1 day my rear end. An hour and a half.

Well I gently caress around on facebook a lot

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MoFauxHawk posted:

I think you're right in that it's highly doubtful that they would. But I'm a patent person so my opinion on copyright and trademark probably isn't worth that much.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

Well I gently caress around on facebook a lot

I spend the rest of the day loving around while my boss reads it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Writing courses own, own, own...gently caress issue spotter exams in the mouth.

Now I just have to figure out a topic in international trade law that can take up 30 pages :allears:

GULC folks: anyone else notice a very sharp uptick in international students this year? Not that I mind, of course, it's just really pronounced this year.

dividebyzero fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 21, 2010