Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

im_sorry posted:

Not when they unexpectedly pop underneath you. :gonk:

(I had one, and this happened to me.)

I wonder if gog.com is going to have some sort of a private torrent tracker. I imagine that their servers would probably not be able to handle hundreds of people downloading hundreds of gigs of installers at once.

DO NOT PLAY ON MY FEARS.

I actually fear this, but still should get one for my back.

And now to wait for Wednesday around midnight. Hopefully they post early morning Thursday in Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paul Barnett is an eccentric brit who was the lead designer on Warhammer Online and currently does some PR stuff with EA. Currently he's been tweeting about using DOSBOX to release old Origin games: "Talking to the dosbox people, so far they have been awesome, gives me hope for releasing old old origin product to the faithful!"

If there's a change in leadership at GoG, and maybe a change in their DRM policy, this could be prompting EA to take part in the service. Or maybe they're finally going to open up their back catalog on Steam. Who knows.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paul Barnett is an eccentric brit who was the lead designer on Warhammer Online and currently does some PR stuff with EA. Currently he's been tweeting about using DOSBOX to release old Origin games: "Talking to the dosbox people, so far they have been awesome, gives me hope for releasing old old origin product to the faithful!"

If there's a change in leadership at GoG, and maybe a change in their DRM policy, this could be prompting EA to take part in the service. Or maybe they're finally going to open up their back catalog on Steam. Who knows.

The problem with GoG & Steam is that when an older title comes out on Steam, Valve doesn't bother to make sure that the game is actually playable/well-represented on modern systems.

Maybe, if it is Valve acquiring GoG, they've learned their lesson.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Replaced an incredibly stable, slickly-designed frontend client with a WEB 2.0 browser plugin that launches on every page of their website regardless of whether you're attempting to play a game or not, requiring you to kill each process. A plugin that attempts to de-encrypt executables but fails at least 50% of the time, and (until 6 months ago) didn't support 64-bit systems or Windows 7.

Changing to a WEB 2.0 browser plug-in was really the number one thing that made me cancel my subscription. Everything else that came after it only justified my cancelling. It didn't help that even the most simple games would require far more effort to get working on any browser I had installed than was really necessary. Prior to the Metaboli acquisition, I mostly used it to play Neo Geo and arcade titles several times a week, with the occasional game of Zork: Grand Inquisitor and any random game that caught my interest. Now, I can't even play loving Burger Time without screwing around with the browser plug-ins that won't install half the time and I'd have to re-install ten seconds after.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The problem with GoG & Steam is that when an older title comes out on Steam, Valve doesn't bother to make sure that the game is actually playable/well-represented on modern systems.

If it uses DOSBOX, it's going to be equally playable wherever you get it from.

All DOS games on steam use DOSBOX, and are all perfectly playable on pretty much every OS.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Would be funny if EA had bought them out, seeing as how they've been trying to get their hands on EAs back catalogue since they launched.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If it uses DOSBOX, it's going to be equally playable wherever you get it from.

All DOS games on steam use DOSBOX, and are all perfectly playable on pretty much every OS.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about your example specifically. The dos games on Steam are fine, but games like Jedi Knight had serious issues that required some forum hunting to solve.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Orgone Accumulator posted:

http://www.3drealms.com/towers/index.html

Eh, it's a limited life download. I mean, better than nothing I guess, so I might pick it up, thanks. I'm just not sure if I can stomach sending George Broussard more poker money.

I'm just happy I got Raptor: Call of the Shadows and the Creatures series before they went down.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Sorry, I wasn't talking about your example specifically. The dos games on Steam are fine, but games like Jedi Knight had serious issues that required some forum hunting to solve.

Really? I had a crashing issues that resulting from going into the menu or checking the map (which you need to do to find some secret areas to get jedi points :saddowns:). Otherwise it wasn't too bad.

What was the deal with Steam having the first Knights of the Old Republic, but not the second?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

Really? I had a crashing issues that resulting from going into the menu or checking the map (which you need to do to find some secret areas to get jedi points :saddowns:). Otherwise it wasn't too bad.

3D support was completely busted unless you used a 3rd party patch, and even then it didn't really work right. It might've been an ATI-specific issue, though.

Beyond Good and Evil also has horrible problems with modern computers that weren't entirely fixed by messing with the config utility.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GOG is dead. GOG remains dead. And we have killed it. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become pirates simply to appear worthy of it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
For those wondering how terrible GameTap has become, here's the new games list.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A lot of shovelware but a couple good games, seems like a good microcosm of the modern game industry as a whole.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
A lot of those games have 2 at the end, when you wouldn't even expect a 1. But Smash Frenzy 4? How much Frenzy can you smash? I guess 4 so far.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They're migrating stuff from Metaboli, the company that now owns Gametap.

And yes, they have a lot of shovelware. But in the past two months, Metaboli (EU) has given me Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction and The Settlers 7 among others, and currently has the newest Prince of Persia game on their 'coming soon' screen. Tell me that ain't good. Oh, and they've confirmed that they're getting King's Bounty: Crossworlds soon, too.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Another feature that will be dearly missed: No 1 USD = 1€ bullshit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Oh man, if GoG had Mystic Towers I would have bought that in a loving heartbeat. Just sayin'.

Squiggle posted:

Mystic Towers is, to this day, one of my favorite games ever.

Please tell me how you get it working if you do. I still have the disks. :(

Well, I went to the official website:

And ordered it for $6. It's a one-time download ($3 more for a year's worth, but I just put it on my Dropbox and a CD). It comes as an .exe installer that also installs DOSBox with correct settings. If you want me to give you the settings from the pre-configured DOSBox, just tell me what to type. But for $6 I just didn't think it was worth it to screw around with it.

Do note you can also download the shareware version. It might be the case that if you install that and then move your registered files in, it'll work. I'm assuming, of course, that they have the same DOSBox thing set up with the shareware version.

edit: Oh yeah, there's no DRM, so it's basically GoG without the promise of downloading in the future (unless you pay extra).

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

It comes as an .exe installer that also installs DOSBox with correct settings. If you want me to give you the settings from the pre-configured DOSBox, just tell me what to type. But for $6 I just didn't think it was worth it to screw around with it.

How about you stop trying to make me buy games, rear end in a top hat. Have you seen my Steam games list? I don't need any more :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It's too bad the Virtual Console has slowed to a trickle- Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, and Twinkle Star Sprites would fill in the gap nicely. TSS and Sam & Max are the only games left that I'm super interested in playing. The only thing that's kept me in is having a lock on the old subscription rate... but at this point it's just wasted money anyway.

(EDIT: talking about Gametap.)

I expect GOG to come back as MAGOG.com - Mediocre And Good Old Games.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 20, 2010

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Achmed Jones posted:

Well, I went to the official website:

:aaa: It looks like Solstice. I should check this game out, I had never heard of it before people started talking about it in this thread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Discount Viscount posted:

I expect GOG to come back as MAGOG.com - Mediocre And Good Old Games.

:golfclap: (seriously, I get the biblical reference, well done)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Discount Viscount posted:

It's too bad the Virtual Console has slowed to a trickle- Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, and Twinkle Star Sprites would fill in the gap nicely. TSS and Sam & Max are the only games left that I'm super interested in playing. The only thing that's kept me in is having a lock on the old subscription rate... but at this point it's just wasted money anyway.

(EDIT: talking about Gametap.)

Gametap introduced me Twinkle Star Sprites and it rules so much. I wish it did show up on VC. The last two games I bought on the VC were Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TG-16/CD) and Space Harrier (arcade), and I have no idea how how long ago Space Harrier was released on the service.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Crappy Jack posted:

GOG is dead. GOG remains dead...

Photoshop 5's new content-aware fill feature is amazingly handy for... for defiling graves.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Good Old Graves Dot Com.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dominic White posted:

They're migrating stuff from Metaboli, the company that now owns Gametap.

And yes, they have a lot of shovelware. But in the past two months, Metaboli (EU) has given me Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction and The Settlers 7 among others, and currently has the newest Prince of Persia game on their 'coming soon' screen. Tell me that ain't good. Oh, and they've confirmed that they're getting King's Bounty: Crossworlds soon, too.
Sounds great. Wish I could play them. However, Gametap refuses to work properly on any of my computers, so I don't care about your anecdotal evidence, and based on the fact that the Gametap thread went from multiple posts per day to 1 post per month, neither does anyone else. I'm not exactly sure how Gametap will even exist in 5 years. Maybe Metaboli is a great service in Europe, but it is not in America.

And they've been "migrating" games from Metaboli ever since the acquisition. One-two games per week, SOMETIMES. Guess how many of those games are legitimate retail games as opposed to casualware? You won't need your toes to count this one.

quote:

Gametap introduced me Twinkle Star Sprites and it rules so much. I wish it did show up on VC. The last two games I bought on the VC were Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TG-16/CD) and Space Harrier (arcade), and I have no idea how how long ago Space Harrier was released on the service.
I would love a Steam for Arcade/Neo-Geo titles. But I'm not sure the developers would be able to come together and agree on appropriate pricing. At least, based on how much some JAMMA boards seem to go for.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just realized, I had been wanting to buy Decent 1, 2 and 3 on GoG for the longest time but couldn't due to unemployment. I finally get a part time job and they pull this poo poo. ARGHHH

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

I just realized, I had been wanting to buy Decent 1, 2 and 3 on GoG for the longest time but couldn't due to unemployment. I finally get a part time job and they pull this poo poo. ARGHHH

I know, same here. It's painful.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And they've been "migrating" games from Metaboli ever since the acquisition. One-two games per week, SOMETIMES. Guess how many of those games are legitimate retail games as opposed to casualware? You won't need your toes to count this one.

drat. Sucks to hear that that US version is so mismanaged, then. EU gets about 2-5 games a week. Usually one larger release and a few minor ones. Kinda underwhelming some weeks, but I reckon I get my moneys worth each month.

To be fair, the fall of Gametap US began long before the takeover, though. They'd been on a downward slide, losing content and features for quite some time.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sounds great. Wish I could play them. However, Gametap refuses to work properly on any of my computers, so I don't care about your anecdotal evidence, and based on the fact that the Gametap thread went from multiple posts per day to 1 post per month, neither does anyone else. I'm not exactly sure how Gametap will even exist in 5 years. Maybe Metaboli is a great service in Europe, but it is not in America.

This. GameTap != Metaboli despite being owned by the same people. And this is from someone who defended GameTap up through the transition. Metaboli had their chance with it and failed.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Robot Hobo posted:

I just checked on their site: 863 games total
Filtered by those that will work on 64-bit systems: 486 games

I remember when GameTap got their 1,000th game. It looks like they've been working backwards since then.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I remember when GameTap got their 1,000th game. It looks like they've been working backwards since then.

The numbers back when were massively padded out by emulated stuff. Between console and DOS emulation, I'd say that probably added a good 400 games alone.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
So what exactly does the update tell us except for a date that we can have access returned to us for items we own?

It's a sad state of affairs when I can torrent a game but cannot access a legally purchased copy of the same game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dominic White posted:

The numbers back when were massively padded out by emulated stuff. Between console and DOS emulation, I'd say that probably added a good 400 games alone.
They still are padded by emulated stuff. They consider emulation to count as 64-bit compatible. They've converted games over to 64-bit compatibility one. at very. long. time. The current total of non-emulated 64-bit compatible games stands at 164 (out of 537).

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Industrial posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when I can torrent a game but cannot access a legally purchased copy of the same game.

Uh, commonplace activation/install-limited DRM has meant that pirating a game is easier than installing a legit copy of it for a few years now. You should probably just get used to it.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Mug posted:

Uh, commonplace activation/install-limited DRM has meant that pirating a game is easier than installing a legit copy of it for a few years now. You should probably just get used to it.

I don't agree with that, DD services are the fastest and most convenient way to get a game downloaded and installed into a playable state. The obvious exception being when you are denied access to your products.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Industrial posted:

I don't agree with that, DD services are the fastest and most convenient way to get a game downloaded and installed into a playable state. The obvious exception being when you are denied access to your products.

Yeah, I guess you're right, Steam is pretty easy to use. I guess I mean it's not uncommon for your off-the-shelf boxed copy of the game to be a pain in the arse to install.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh yeah, nothing like playing some king's bounty or mount and blade on Gametap.

At least they have 3 decent games in that list, but I still can't believe Gametap hasn't gone under.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 21, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Industrial posted:

So what exactly does the update tell us except for a date that we can have access returned to us for items we own?

I don't think GOG was ever about stopping people from pirating games. It was about giving people a chance to say, "Yeah, if you made this game available did all the monkey work to make it run, I'd give you money instead of continuing to download these old DOS games" and also I guess strange European titles from the last few years.

You can burn a copy of a movie or download the PPV before you can buy a movie legally, doesn't turn the movie industry in on itself. GOG is doing what they can (poor Polish PR aside) to keep giving you easy access to games. Except of course in this downtime, which they apologized for and told you would be fixed on Thursday.

Unless you want them to build a cross out of old copies of Commander Keen and hang themselves on it, not much else they can do.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

Just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

AxeManiac posted:

Unless you want them to build a cross out of old copies of Commander Keen and hang themselves on it, not much else they can do.

Now I kinda want to see this just for the novelty of it.