Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
They got pissed recently about people talking poo poo about them on VLV and basically somehow called out VLV on stage at some fest show :rolleyes:

EDIT: New page, no context, etc. This is about TRAP THEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Specific
Aug 14, 2003

I am going to jump on your face, and now some serious dancin'...
I always go out of my way not to see trap them whenever I'm at a show they're playing. I kind of wish I would've went in and saw the whining.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

nosophoros posted:

I just discovered TRAP THEM and uh, holy poo poo, this stuff is amazing.

Here's their MySpace; 'Pulse Mavens' is loving incredible:
http://www.myspace.com/trapthem

Anything similar out there?

http://www.myspace.com/blackbreath

I think they're better than Trap Them tbh

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Black Breath is pretty sick (fun show too), but I think I like Trap Them more

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I'm on the Black Breath better than Trap Them bandwagon. That album is massive. I came in during their last two songs when they played on the Converge/Gaza/Black Breath tour and was really sad I didn't make it for the whole set... still, Gaza rules too.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

baberaham lincoln posted:

I'm on the Black Breath better than Trap Them bandwagon. That album is massive. I came in during their last two songs when they played on the Converge/Gaza/Black Breath tour and was really sad I didn't make it for the whole set... still, Gaza rules too.

I think people into black breath might enjoy transistor transistor (maybe ruined lives the most). Also entomed obviously. Oh and mammoth grinder (who are a million times better live. they have the thickest, loving hate filled sound, it's insane).

I was so stoked on going to that converge/black breath/etc show but then I realised I didn't have a passport :(

Pantalones! fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 20, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pantalones! posted:

I think people into black breath might enjoy transistor transistor (maybe ruined lives the most).

The last 2 tracks on Ruined Lives own so hard.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Great and similar to Trap Them are Cursed and Backstabbers Inc. (obviously). And Transistor Transistor is absolutely awesome but I'm not digging the Black Breath comparison in the least.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

ChrisFarley posted:

Great and similar to Trap Them are Cursed and Backstabbers Inc. (obviously). And Transistor Transistor is absolutely awesome but I'm not digging the Black Breath comparison in the least.

Really? It's mostly the huge rock and roll aspect. I think they sound alike.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I'm not overly familiar with Black Breath but I'd call 'em hardcore f.f.o. black metal and stoner/doom while TT is for hardcore kids who grew up and got sad (me).

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

ChrisFarley posted:

I'm not overly familiar with Black Breath but I'd call 'em hardcore f.f.o. black metal and stoner/doom while TT is for hardcore kids who grew up and got sad (me).

black breath is pretty much death n roll with a huge hardcore influence and I'd call TT skramz n roll (but I wouldn't cause that's a dumb rear end name).

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I have this really terrible 7" from the 90's that I bought in a store because I liked the artwork / packaging that is by a band called Transistor Transistor. It's really really uninspired emo made by untalented musicians. Anyway, I'm pretty sure unrelated to that band. I like Transistor Transistor, but I'm not sure the Black Breath comparison is at all sensible...

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
New Envy leaked.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

baberaham lincoln posted:

I have this really terrible 7" from the 90's that I bought in a store because I liked the artwork / packaging that is by a band called Transistor Transistor. It's really really uninspired emo made by untalented musicians. Anyway, I'm pretty sure unrelated to that band. I like Transistor Transistor, but I'm not sure the Black Breath comparison is at all sensible...

Obviously they don't sound the same and are from 2 different genres but they have enough similarities (huge hardcore, rock and sludge influence) that someone who's into one might like the other.

and they're both awesome driving music with rad vocals.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

ChrisFarley posted:

I agree with this completely. A lot of people have said that Black Breath is just a newer Trap Them and I dont agree at all. Trap Them is so much better than Black Breath there shouldnt even be a comparison between the two.

Parachute Underwear posted:

I really really like Kvelertak. They sound pretty much exactly like if hosed Up played metal and were Norwegian. Plus I guess it helps that I'll give a chance to any band who got their CD artwork done by John Baizley v:shobon:v

If you havent heard Haust, you should The new album is crazy good. Personally, I like them more than Kvelertak.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

nosophoros posted:

I just discovered TRAP THEM and uh, holy poo poo, this stuff is amazing.

Here's their MySpace; 'Pulse Mavens' is loving incredible:
http://www.myspace.com/trapthem

Anything similar out there?

I think Rise and Fall might work out well if you like Trap Them

Seance Prime was so loving good I've been hooked on TT ever since.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Clothes Optional posted:

New Envy leaked.

And it is pretty loving awesome. Only 1 week till they play Boston I am fuckin' pumped.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Inspector_71 posted:

And it is pretty loving awesome. Only 1 week till they play Boston I am fuckin' pumped.

I haven't listened to it yet but I'm glad you like it, I'm way stoked after that weird one I linked a few days ago

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Where should I start with Envy?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Eight Is Legend posted:

Where should I start with Envy?

That depends. There's the hardcore punk side of Envy and the post-rock influenced sound they've been playing for a while. Start with All the Footprints if you're into the former, and probably Insomniac Doze if you're into the latter. A Dead Sinking Story pretty much stands firmly in the middle and is flat-out their best (in my opinion, some of us disagree about it but hey).

Their side of the split with Thursday was enjoyable and their EP Abyssal was pretty good too. From there on you can branch out some more. Much like their LPs the earlier EPs have the hardcore sound and the later ones the post-rock sound.

If you really like them, try to track down their live DVD, Transfovista. It's pretty great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I recommend All The Footprints... because in my opinion it's flat-out their best. And my opinion is righter than Parachute's.

But yeah either that or A Dead Sinking Story, then get newer if you prefer the post-rockier stuff or go older if you prefer the hardcore/punk stuff. Honestly outside of like 1 of the earlier EPs (The Eyes of a Single Eared Prophet), I don't really think anything pre-All The Footprints... is very good.

Also get Compiled Fragments: 1997-2003 because the first track on it (A Far Off Reason) is one of their best.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 21, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
New Bad Religion album leaked. Turns out that it's really good. Who knew? (I knew, I like their recent output)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

All The Footprints >> A Dead Sinking Story >>>> everything else, and it's not even close.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

A Dead Sinking Story is their best. Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I almost preemptively told you you were wrong in my previous post because I knew you were going to say that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

acup posted:

I will fight you.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

acup posted:

This guy knows what's up.

Not digging the new envy either, giving it some more listens but it probably won't come back in rotation ever.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
New Envy is amazing, Insomniac Doze is my favorite album ever.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access

Pantalones! posted:

This guy knows what's up.

Gonna third this opinion. Seeing them next Friday, I can't wait.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Dickeye posted:

New Bad Religion album leaked. Turns out that it's really good. Who knew? (I knew, I like their recent output)

I found it pretty boring and forgettable, except for maybe the first track and "Someone to Believe". I can't imagine anyone singing along with any of these songs at a future Bad Religion show. It's still better than the last piece of poo poo they put out though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sharon is Karen posted:

I found it pretty boring and forgettable, except for maybe the first track and "Someone to Believe". I can't imagine anyone singing along with any of these songs at a future Bad Religion show. It's still better than the last piece of poo poo they put out though.

I have listened to the song "Only Rain" a bunch of times and really like it, it seems like a strong track that will work its way into my regular playlist. I'll sing along to it for sure.
The rest of the album hasn't caught my attention as greatly through 2 listens but it sometimes takes me a while to appreciate an album. I did notice that when remembering sections from some of the songs that they seamlessly morphed into older BR tracks which then captured my train of thought so maybe forgettable is a somewhat accurate description. I'll stick with it though, I still listen to New Maps of Hell (which also has songs I'll sing along to...).

Any Aussies heading to the No Sleep 'til festivals around the country? I'm looking forward to seeing NOFX again, and seeing the Descendants and MF&TGG will be great as well. Of course the highlight will be seeing the cunts in Frenzal Rhomb give it their all. Cunts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

act five posted:

Gonna third this opinion. Seeing them next Friday, I can't wait.

I see them on Tuesday uuuuuugggggggghhhh never have I wanted a weekend to be over so badly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharon is Karen posted:

The last piece of poo poo they put out was New America, everything since then has been great.

e: Seriously, out of the last four albums there's been one I didn't like, and that wasn't even a bad album, just not my thing (Process of Belief). Empire Strikes First and New Maps are pretty great, and this is good. Cyanide and Devil In Stitches are probably my favorite tracks

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 24, 2010

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

RandomCheese posted:

Any Aussies heading to the No Sleep 'til festivals around the country? I'm looking forward to seeing NOFX again, and seeing the Descendants and MF&TGG will be great as well. Of course the highlight will be seeing the cunts in Frenzal Rhomb give it their all. Cunts.

Descendents are not playing NZ. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why, Descendents? Why just in Australia?

Why hath you forsaken me Milo?

e: Seriously, I would give both nuts and a hunk of my dick to see them play.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 25, 2010

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Dickeye posted:

The last piece of poo poo they put out was New America, everything since then has been great.

e: Seriously, out of the last four albums there's been one I didn't like, and that wasn't even a bad album, just not my thing (Process of Belief). Empire Strikes First and New Maps are pretty great, and this is good. Cyanide and Devil In Stitches are probably my favorite tracks

I definitely agree with you that New America was poo poo, and I honestly didn't like The Process of Belief that much, but New Maps of Hell was garbage. I can't even name one track off that lovely album. I do love The Empire Strikes First, though. Almost every track is memorable and awesome.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Why, Descendents? Why just in Australia?

Why hath you forsaken me Milo?

e: Seriously, I would give both nuts and a hunk of my dick to see them play.

And I absolutely agree with you here. I would give up my firstborn, and my firstborn's firstborn to see the Descendents live. I would only give up my firstborn to see All.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharon is Karen posted:

I definitely agree with you that New America was poo poo, and I honestly didn't like The Process of Belief that much, but New Maps of Hell was garbage. I can't even name one track off that lovely album. I do love The Empire Strikes First, though. Almost every track is memorable and awesome.

New Dark Ages, Requiem For Dissent, Dearly Beloved, Grains of Wrath, all awesome songs, all off New Maps of Hell

Xenu
Apr 28, 2004

Wow, I haven't listened to hardcore for some time now, but last night I popped in Slapshot's "Greatest Hits, Slashes and Crosschecks" and now I'm really in the mood again! :) Does anyone have any recommendations for bands that have that oldschool sound, yet are still around playing? Government Warning for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Xenu posted:

Wow, I haven't listened to hardcore for some time now, but last night I popped in Slapshot's "Greatest Hits, Slashes and Crosschecks" and now I'm really in the mood again! :) Does anyone have any recommendations for bands that have that oldschool sound, yet are still around playing? Government Warning for example.

Everyone else on the Grave Mistake / No Way records' roster