Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

dividebyzero posted:

Writing courses own, own, own...gently caress issue spotter exams in the mouth.

Now I just have to figure out a topic in international trade law that can take up 30 pages :allears:

For me, of 5 courses this semester, 4 of them are paper courses :hfive: (but I have RA work to do too which is more paper research/writing sooooo)

Write about the ash crisis btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

GULC folks: anyone else notice a very sharp uptick in international students this year? Not that I mind, of course, it's just really pronounced this year.

There's more than one GULC student in this thread? Yuck.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

dividebyzero posted:

Yep. Unfortunately I didn't discover until third year that writing courses are the key to making non-Section 3 law school bearable.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: GOT AN OFFER :siren:

Congrats!

Also secondary journals are really good about pimping the value of membership without explaining what it is exactly that they cover.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Dean had an "all hands on deck" meeting with us today. His message, and I quote: "Re-calibrate your expectations" and "be entrepreneurial". :(

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

dividebyzero posted:

Now I just have to figure out a topic in international trade law that can take up 30 pages :allears:

GULC folks: anyone else notice a very sharp uptick in international students this year? Not that I mind, of course, it's just really pronounced this year.

yes, but on the other hand, LRW. Also, being able to pick a topic is dangerous; through no fault of my own, I received a bad mark for one paper wherein I suggested re-introducing pederasty into academia.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 21, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

How the gently caress do you search for docket number on westlaw? All I've got is No. 89–2980 from the DC District in 1992.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Tetrix posted:

How the gently caress do you search for docket number on westlaw? All I've got is No. 89–2980 from the DC District in 1992.

see Natural Resources Defense Council et al v. Reilly, D.D.C. No. 89-2980

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
When I put that number in as a term searching the DC Circuit, one case comes up, that case references another case with the same name with the docket number you want.

Basically it looks like you can get Natural Resources Defense Council v. Reilly, but it has a different docket number and may not be the exact thing you need.

However if you're looking for Natural Resources Defense Council v. Reilly, that's what you can get. I think the docket number you have is for a previous case (see FN8 of the case result you get) before Judge Lambreth. This is basically a trial court opinion, not all of which makes it onto westlaw...like the equivalent of a state court trial case, I think. The DC court site only has opinions back to 2005.

EDIT: If you have Lexis it comes right up on Lexis, just search the DC Circuit and put in that docket number with quotes around it.

EDIT EDIT: Beaten, but I couldn't get the case itself to come up on Westlaw but I could on Lexis. ymmv

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Thanks y'all, I'm guessing the author messed the date up.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

HiddenReplaced posted:

There's more than one GULC student in this thread? Yuck.

We're like the crust that accumulates in the corner's of old professor's mouths that they never seem to notice: we're ever-present and on the verge of sloughing off into oblivion.

Lykourgos posted:

yes, but on the other hand, LRW. Also, being able to pick a topic is dangerous; through no fault of my own, I received a bad mark for one paper wherein I suggested re-introducing pederasty into academia.

So you're gonna post that paper now, right? Cause' "LOL".

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dean had an "all hands on deck" meeting with us today. His message, and I quote: "Re-calibrate your expectations" and "be entrepreneurial". :(

Got packets from NYU and Penn today saying they'd waive their application fee if I'd apply.

ainsley, atlas, y'all need anything to burn to stay warm this fall?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley I have room in the crawlspace under my house if you need a roof over your head. Also, access to the crawlspace is right near the kitchen so you can steal food if the mood strikes you

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Civ 5 is out tomorrow morning. What disease can I fake that will get me out of school for a month? So far, I've got mono, leprosy, bubonic plague and lupus. Any ideas?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

dividebyzero posted:

We're like the crust that accumulates in the corner's of old professor's mouths that they never seem to notice: we're ever-present and on the verge of sloughing off into oblivion.

So you're gonna post that paper now, right? Cause' "LOL".

somebody else already posted it a year or so ago when I put it on IRC, I think it was Linguica. I honestly don't think I have the paper anymore, although I could try seeing if my old college e-mail is still active.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Vander posted:

Civ 5 is out tomorrow morning. What disease can I fake that will get me out of school for a month? So far, I've got mono, leprosy, bubonic plague and lupus. Any ideas?

Explosive diarrhea? H1N1? Shingles.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vander posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku497rURF8#t=2m08s

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Vander posted:

"Smartening up." Symptoms include dropping out, reading something that's actually useful, and/or not going to class for a month.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

BigHead posted:

"Smartening up." Symptoms include dropping out, reading something that's actually useful, and/or not going to class for a month.

I'm preloading it now so I can play it in class tomorrow.

One of my legitimate fears coming into law school was that Diablo 3 was going to come out my 1L year. Now it's 3L and it still isn't out! I have time now! Blizzard, have it out by Christmas, please, this is my last chance to spend six days in a row in my boxers playing video games!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Don't worry guys I got a letter from my utterly useless ex-Dean:

quote:

Dear Members of the Class of 2010,

[Bighead's personal info redacted]

In the meantime, I wanted to take a moment to update you on the [UMN] Law School's efforts to assist those of you who are still seeking permanent employment.

As all of you know, the market for entry-level positions remains very weak, not only here but across the country. The summer is a particularly slow period, even in ordinary years (in ordinary years we charge DOUBLE!), as many employers await bar exam results before addressing their hiring needs (which employers didn't hire during OCI again?). However, I am optimistic (thank god for your optimism) that hiring will pick up in the fall (it won't), assuming the economy does not slide back into recession (recession = $200k in debt with no job, I don't care what Wall Street says).

Last year, to assist members of the class of 2009, we created a post-JD fellowship program (THANK GOD just what I wanted). The Law School provided graduates without employment modest stipends (enough to pay our loans? I didn't think so) to work for judges, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. These fellowships provided recent graduates with work experience and networking opportunities (not jobs), not only in Minnesota, but around the country. For many (how many is "many"? 1? Almost all?) recipients, the program proved to be an important bridge to permanent employment (read = we assume you put it on your resume). We will run the same program again this year, starting in August and September (we were too lazy to start it earlier). If you are interested, please contact your career counselor for more information about the program.

We are taking a number of other steps. For example, [name redacted] in the Career Center reached outside our usual group of employers to over 80 small and medium sized firms and public service employers this past year ("reached out" =/ "got someone a loving job with," also why didn't you do this earlier you useless twats?), and we will expand that outreach effort significantly this year. We are adding another career counselor position (a job!) to the Career Center, to provide students and alumni with more individualized career counseling and assistance (thank god, I wanted more individualized unemployment assistance). We are seeking to establish (are too lazy to have already established)four VISTA attorney positions this fall - up from three last year (your big accomplishment is 1 part time lovely job?). The Career Center will continue its weekly job bulletin for recent graduates (which lists zero jobs), as well as individualized counseling services (read = unemployment collection services) and resume and cover letter review. If you are interviewing for a position (we doubt it), the Career Center would be happy to provide individual interview preparation. Further, the Law School will offer free CLE credits (!!!!!!!!) for recent graduates following the bar examination.

I spend much of my time talking to alumni(thank god you're "talking" and not acting), here and around the country. They know the extraordinary caliber of our graduates and want to help (but only zero of them are hiring). I will be working with our Board of Advisors this year to tap our alumni network more effectively (six times more effective than zero is still zero) in support of our recent graduates (gently caress next year's graduates). I have asked faculty to utilize their own networks to assist our graduates as well (I paid $200k to be a pity-TA).

For those of you still seeking employment, please be assured we will continue to work with you to help you reach your goals. (Help = "have optimism about," "will assist 1 of you," "modestly stipend you for poo poo work," "reaching out," "provide interview assistance," "keep you advised via bulletin of the zero jobs on a WEEKLY basis," "FREE CLES!!!!").

All best regards, (and thanks for the $200k each)

Dean Shitman.
Dean AND William S. Pattee Professor of Law

I'm so raging about this. And I'm one of the lucky ones who landed a clerkship. Jesus Christ, their one actual accomplishment is a singular VISTA job (whatever VISTA is), and a position as a career counselor (our dream job). And this letter is supposed to comfort us.

Edit: I think I can respond six times per sentence but will limit myself to these.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 21, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vander posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueW1i9kQao&feature=related

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nero posted:

I'm preloading it now so I can play it in class tomorrow.

One of my legitimate fears coming into law school was that Diablo 3 was going to come out my 1L year. Now it's 3L and it still isn't out! I have time now! Blizzard, have it out by Christmas, please, this is my last chance to spend six days in a row in my boxers playing video games!

One of my biggest fears is that when I find a job, I'll get fired because I took too many days off work to read A Dance With Dragons

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 21, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of my biggest fears is that when I find a job, I'll get fired because my performance will be affected by the release of A Dance With Dragons

Hahaha please like that's ever going to get released.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Hahaha please like that's ever going to get released.

It was that or a Duke Nukem Forever joke but I think they finally admitted they're never making that one

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
yes, trial practice professor, I know I was supposed to do the direct exam today and class was basically impossible to run without me

but there's hexagons and ranged attacks in this one

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was that or a Duke Nukem Forever joke but I think they finally admitted they're never making that one

Might want to stick w/ A Dance of Dragons cuz as of PAX a couple weeks ago the King is alive and well http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/09/duke-nukem-forever-from-vaporware-to-software/

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of my biggest fears is that when I find a job, I'll get fired because I took too many days off work to read A Dance With Dragons

That fat bastard will never publish the loving thing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
His death can't be too far away. Every time I stop thinking about it for a few months, thinking "Oh, there must be an imminent release, it's just been too long" and look at the thread and nope, nothing's changed.

Also, the interview process for vac clerkships has turned me into a fullblown, 5 time a week, alcoholic. It's so soul crushing.

The worst interview process: a firm gives out 170 ten minute interviews (for 40 places). They then have 6 hours of testing. They then have a cocktail function where you are given business cards to hand out to people you talk to. The next day, HR gets everyone into a room and shows a photo of each person on the screen, and if people like them they throw their cards at the screen. I'm sure you US guys have far more egregious examples but I found this utterly ridiculous.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Vander posted:

Civ 5 is out tomorrow morning.
You got me all excited and then I saw that it's not out for OS X any time soon. Thanks for nothing, you big tease. :(

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
George RR Martin could bomb the LSAT, go through a Tier 3 Law School and graduate with a 2.0 GPA, and still find a stable highpaying job in Biglaw in the time it'll take for Dance to be released. Think about that.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Defleshed posted:

That fat bastard will never publish the loving thing.

I think at least he needs to write faster than HBO can produce.

Is feast for crows worth it I stopped reading like 10 years ago with storm of swords.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Draile posted:

I think at least he needs to write faster than HBO can produce.

Is feast for crows worth it I stopped reading like 10 years ago with storm of swords.

It's not bad but it is not as action packed as any of the previous novels by a long shot. It's popular to hate on it, and it is definitely the "worst" of the four published so far, but I don't think it is a bad book by any means.

In legal employment news, my JD actually helped me land a very nice promotion this week (as in a nearly 100% pay increase and a much nicer office). Still didn't make it worth it to go to law school but at least I don't feel like a total failure now. In fact, I am pretty loving stoked. I still work at the ABA though so it's often difficult to shake the feeling of being a sonderkommando.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
What is dancing with dragons? Is it some sort of childish new show like vampire diary? I had to watch that rubbish last night because the missus secretly tampered with our Netflix account and pushed rumpole off the list.

Also, civ 5 is going to suck just as hard as the last four incarnations. Since it’s coming out tomorrow, I’m going to see if they’ve made it historically accurate yet, but otherwise there’s no way I’m touching it. You lot always cry about tanks being defeated by hoplites (perfectly possible), yet never mention that Gandhi has been the leader of the Indian Empire for the last 2,000 years.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

What is dancing with dragons? Is it some sort of childish new show like vampire diary? I had to watch that rubbish last night because the missus secretly tampered with our Netflix account and pushed rumpole off the list.

Also, civ 5 is going to suck just as hard as the last four incarnations. Since it’s coming out tomorrow, I’m going to see if they’ve made it historically accurate yet, but otherwise there’s no way I’m touching it. You lot always cry about tanks being defeated by hoplites (perfectly possible), yet never mention that Gandhi has been the leader of the Indian Empire for the last 2,000 years.

You're just mad that he can beat the british

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Don't worry guys I got a letter from my utterly useless ex-Dean:

I'm so raging about this. And I'm one of the lucky ones who landed a clerkship. Jesus Christ, their one actual accomplishment is a singular VISTA job (whatever VISTA is), and a position as a career counselor (our dream job). And this letter is supposed to comfort us.

Edit: I think I can respond six times per sentence but will limit myself to these.

Class of 2009 UMN. They didn't give me squat even though I was working for free. F them.

Remember folks, UMN is a good law school (we used to be T20!), so those T2 and below, you're even more hosed than us. Have FUN! We're also notably the best law school in a giant region (UofI=scrubs), so we even have that advantage.

nm fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 21, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

Class of 2009 UMN. They didn't give me squat even though I was working for free. F them.

Remember folks, UMN is a good law school (we used to be T20!), so those T2 and below, you're even more hosed than us. Have FUN! We're also notably the best law school in a giant region (UofI=scrubs), so we even have that advantage.

Wisconsin is even more hosed than Minnesota. I had my Career Services 'forget' to tell me that I was going to have to buy a ticket to the east coast for an interview until the firm called me like a week before the interview to finalize plans.

Also, 30 actual firms at OCI? 10ish of them from Minnesota and thus only taking 1-2 Wisconsin students in a GOOD year?

Combine that with 3 of the four biggest firms in state only taking 2-3 students and we're all hosed. There are like 20 jobs worth the name for about 280 of us to pass around.

If you aren't in the t14 you should steel yourself for shitlaw. It's all you're gonna get.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

"Huffington Post posted:

At the Gorham House Of Pizza in Gorham, Maine, you'll find a rather unique combo: pizza served with a side of legal advice.

On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, George Soritopolous, 29, and an unemployed lawyer, fills pizza orders at his parents' restaurant.

He lives at home, enjoys his mother's cooking and dons a sauce-stained T-shirt with a cheerful, wistful smile. His wages, almost the same he earned while working there in high school, go towards paying off his $175,000 student loans (a figure he finds so ridiculous he can only joke about it: "I am stuck with my student loans till I die.").

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Soritopolous indulges in his higher education: he works pro bono as a foreclosure prevention lawyer at Pine Tree Legal Assistance.

So uh, anyone in the Denver metro area/Boulder know of any openings? I've got experience. And very little shame.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JudicialRestraints posted:

If you aren't in the t14 you should steel yourself for shitlaw. It's all you're gonna get.
Competing for rural Wisconsin pd/prosecutor. wooo!
Better than shitlaw.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

Competing for rural Wisconsin pd/prosecutor. wooo!
Better than shitlaw.

A > A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

A > A?
Rural prosecutors get dental and a pension. Also they tend to avoid traffic tickets.