Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sith Happens posted:

At least that's one element of the EU that can be remembered fondly. :allears:

The easily excitable gullible idiot massacare of 7 ABY. Never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The easily excitable gullible idiot massacare of 7 ABY. Never forget.

4 ABY :eng101:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DougieFFC posted:

4 ABY :eng101:

Okay, correct. But some idiots died in 7 AYB.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
See, that's why I want to see what the gently caress happened to normal people in the Galactic Civil War. I didn't notice anyone being un-free at all. Not to mention that Naboo was Palpatine's home planet, so why would he go out of his way to brutally subjugate the denizens of a sleepy backwater that is also his childhood home?

gently caress you, George Lucas.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Do any books or media explore Palpatine's character when he was younger? I'm normally against excessive backstory, but seeing some of his motivations in younger years, and how he got involved with the Sith, might be interesting. Also, if this was explored in any books, were those books any good?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

orange lime posted:

why would he go out of his way to brutally subjugate the denizens of a sleepy backwater that is also his childhood home?

It would certainly draw attention away from him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Or maybe Naboo isn't really his home planet.

In any case, the whole point of blockading Naboo was to give him, already a very popular senator, enough backing to push Valorum out of the Chancellor position.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DorianGravy posted:

Do any books or media explore Palpatine's character when he was younger? I'm normally against excessive backstory, but seeing some of his motivations in younger years, and how he got involved with the Sith, might be interesting. Also, if this was explored in any books, were those books any good?

Didn't Lucas say that the two things that were verboten were the backstories of both Yoda and Palpatine?

'Course, that could fly out the window at any moment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you were to trust some EU writer to do Palpatine's back story who would it be? Zhan? Allston?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you were to trust some EU writer to do Palpatine's back story who would it be? Zhan? Allston?

Karen Traviss, if only to see things from Palpatine's POV.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Palpatine's backstory will presumably be covered at least a bit in Luceno's upcoming Darth Plagueis novel. For those who don't know, the novel was announced a few years ago, then said to be dead, then appropriately enough revived a few months ago. I don't know if it's changed since, but Luceno said that the original version at least not only included young Palpatine, but also contrasted Plagueis' search for immortality with Qui-Gon's discovery of how to join with the Force for quasi-immortality as implied by the ending of ROTS.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

orange lime posted:

Not to mention that Naboo was Palpatine's home planet, so why would he go out of his way to brutally subjugate the denizens of a sleepy backwater that is also his childhood home?

Supposedly his home. And even if it is true, sacrificing something you're attached to to further your goals is rather Sith-like, so its not like its much of a stretch that he'd do it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheLoquid posted:

Mynocks :eng101:

:rolleye: Dunno where I got gundarks from.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Torael_7 posted:

Supposedly his home. And even if it is true, sacrificing something you're attached to to further your goals is rather Sith-like, so its not like its much of a stretch that he'd do it.

Not like he lost anything good anyways.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe his encounters with the Gungans on Naboo turned him into a hateful hell bent Sith bent on conquering the galaxy and enslaving aliens.

Gungans will do that to you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe his encounters with the Gungans on Naboo turned him into a hateful hell bent Sith bent on conquering the galaxy and enslaving aliens.

Gungans and getting lost all the time without a compass because of the planets loving hollow core.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I bought KOTOR off Steam a few months ago but only recently got around to playing it. Now I see why people like HK-47 so much.

Also...

[Carth seems like something is bothering him. Again. Ignore him?]

1. Yes
2. Hell yes

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gungans and getting lost all the time without a compass because of the planets loving hollow core.

And freezing/burning to death all the time, because the hollow watery core means that there would be no volcanic activity and too little gravity to maintain an atmosphere and no internal heating, and no magnetic field to deflect stellar wind. Let's just ignore the fact that the water at the core of the planet is somehow still liquid with trillions of tons of pressure on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I bought KOTOR off Steam a few months ago but only recently got around to playing it. Now I see why people like HK-47 so much.

Also...

1. Yes
2. Hell yes

3. Locate equally whiny son, execute.

Seriously though, shut up Carth your drowning out HK-47.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

orange lime posted:

And freezing/burning to death all the time, because the hollow watery core means that there would be no volcanic activity and too little gravity to maintain an atmosphere and no internal heating, and no magnetic field to deflect stellar wind. Let's just ignore the fact that the water at the core of the planet is somehow still liquid with trillions of tons of pressure on it.

I'm now waiting for an EU book that explains that Naboo is being held together either by a Force nexus or some ancient alien machine. Or some combination of the two.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

orange lime posted:

You know those generators on naboo? They cover all that. :smug:

They should if they don't.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Fox of Stone posted:

gently caress, I didn't even think about that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

Is that really what they do?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Replace Gungans with black people :colbert:

It had to be intentional on Lucas' part.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dick Trauma posted:

Also...

1. Yes
2. Hell yes

3. Play a female character, listen sympathetically to all his whining about how hard it is to trust you, save his son from the Sith, go Dark Side, watch as he comes to the Star Forge to confess his love and try to convince you back to the Light Side, and kill him. Guess he shouldn't have trusted you after all, hmm? :smug:

EDIT: Then play KOTOR II and make friends with G0-T0. You'll be surprised at what he reveals. Yes, it's obvious that the droid is really the crime lord, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'll just say that you'll find out the weighty import behind his claim that he's "something of a patriot."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 21, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Casimir Radon posted:

Replace Gungans with black people :colbert:

"WEEESA FREEE!!!"

:ughh:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Was the planet core ever actually stated as being hallow you know instead of just a name? IE. Deaths Pass, Devils back bone, Happy Puppy Fields.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Darth Freddy posted:

Was the planet core ever actually stated as being hallow you know instead of just a name? IE. Deaths Pass, Devils back bone, Happy Puppy Fields.

Yep. Boss Nass (fat gungan leader) says outright that the fastest way to Theed is through the planet's core. That's where the two Jedi and Jar-Jar go when they're in the submarine.

I feel vaguely irritated that the fastest way from A to B is apparently a submarine when they have spaceships, but I supposed the blockade could account for that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Pththya-lyi posted:

3. Play a female character, listen sympathetically to all his whining about how hard it is to trust you, save his son from the Sith, go Dark Side, watch as he comes to the Star Forge to confess his love and try to convince you back to the Light Side, and kill him. Guess he shouldn't have trusted you after all, hmm? :smug:

EDIT: Then play KOTOR II and make friends with G0-T0. You'll be surprised at what he reveals. Yes, it's obvious that the droid is really the crime lord, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'll just say that you'll find out the weighty import behind his claim that he's "something of a patriot."

Mockery: Oh Master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you, or anyone else ever again!

The best part of KOTOR 2 is how awesome it made KOTOR 1.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is that really what they do?

I like to think that Darth Maul's body falling into one caused a disturbance that fluctuated the gravity fields so much that a sizable portion of the gungan population fell off naboo.

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

Fox of Stone posted:

I like to think that Darth Maul's body falling into one caused a disturbance that fluctuated the gravity fields so much that a sizable portion of the gungan population fell off naboo.

It explains why hes really happy! look at his face! so happy!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I always wondered why they bothered to show the blood spraying out when Maul was cut, it was so easy to miss.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I know this sounds horrible but I'm glad that I'm young enough to see the day that Lucas dies. I'm looking forward to someone else getting a chance to make Star Wars great again. I can't wait till we get some new OT movies or TV shows. I can't wait till we get a Rogue Squadron series like Battlestar Galactica, or an Heir to the Empire movie Trilogy.

There's so much material that would make incredible movies, TV shows and video games but Lucas is too much of a loving douche bag to let it happen. Lets just hope that his droopy looking son doesn't pull a "Lucas" and try to come up with new movies and poo poo without listening to anyone else.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I like how in the same thread we can bitch about the terrible state of the EU and then go on to talk about how we wish there was a reboot/someone else taking charge from Lucas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
At the very least, I wish Lucas would cut it out with all the Clone Wars poo poo. We have more material covering a 3 year period that isn't even all that important than we do for the 19 year period during which the Empire took over and the Rebellion was formed.

That just seems wrong.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hellsy posted:

drat he looks creepy as all gently caress, for some reason. :gonk:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At the very least, I wish Lucas would cut it out with all the Clone Wars poo poo. We have more material covering a 3 year period that isn't even all that important than we do for the 19 year period during which the Empire took over and the Rebellion was formed.

That just seems wrong.

This. Revenge of The Sith came out in 2005. Five goddamn years ago. Move the gently caress on!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hellsy posted:

I'll get you Boss Nass and your little falumpaset too!

Tetzel
Mar 2, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That just seems wrong.

I'm not sure if I'd want to see what Lucas could (or would) do with that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Mister Roboto posted:

I always wondered why they bothered to show the blood spraying out when Maul was cut, it was so easy to miss.

I thought lightsabers cauterized wounds?