Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
After playing a couple hours of Alan Wake I started to ache for proper storytelling in a same sort of setting. I'm mainly looking for something with quirky townsfolk, things (owls) not being what they seem and the usual stuff. On the other hand, I also love movies with just Alaska or Northwestern US as the setting. So, recommend me movies that either nail the eerie, introverted town feel, take place in the colder regions or both. :)

The ones I've seen this far have been Insomnia and The Pledge. I'm also interested in redneck stuff à la Deliverance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

These Loving Eyes posted:

After playing a couple hours of Alan Wake I started to ache for proper storytelling in a same sort of setting. I'm mainly looking for something with quirky townsfolk, things (owls) not being what they seem and the usual stuff. On the other hand, I also love movies with just Alaska or Northwestern US as the setting. So, recommend me movies that either nail the eerie, introverted town feel, take place in the colder regions or both. :)

The ones I've seen this far have been Insomnia and The Pledge. I'm also interested in redneck stuff à la Deliverance.
Please tell us you've seen all of Twin Peaks! Other than that, there's the early '90s dramedy Northern Exposure (no creepiness, just quirky life in small-town Alaska) and the vampire movie 30 Days of Night.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please tell us you've seen all of Twin Peaks! Other than that, there's the early '90s dramedy Northern Exposure (no creepiness, just quirky life in small-town Alaska) and the vampire movie 30 Days of Night.

You missed my owl joke. So yeah, I'm sadly already familiar with Twin Peaks. :( Will give Northern Exposure a look although it doesn't seem like my thing. Thanks anyways!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So, watched Buffalo 66 and liked it. More!

These Loving Eyes
You might enjoy:

Into the wild (Alaska, very good movie)
Dogville (very artsy but it has the townsfolk thing you are looking for)
Whiteout (poo poo, but Alaska/snowy region. That and Cate Beckinsale were the only reasons I sat trough it)
The Thing (Alaska/snowy region, very, very good)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Popelmon posted:

The Thing (Alaska/snowy region, very, very good)

The Thing takes place in Antarctica. (Filmed in Alaska, yes, but that's not the setting.)

Not that he shouldn't watch it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That's why I said "/snowy region". Has been a while since I saw it and I wasn't sure where exactly it takes place :)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Xinlum posted:

I just signed up for Netflix today. After rating some movies it suggested Drunken Master starring a young Jackie Chan. I really liked it and want to watch some similar old school kung fu films. Anything like Drunken Master or the much more recent Kung Fu Hustle is the type of film I'm looking for.

Having seen all of Jackie Chan's films (with the exception of some of his recent Hollywood dreck) I count myself as something of an expert. That being said Jackie had three phases in his pre-Hollywood career, those being:

1) Jackie Chan in the 70's
My favourite period of his. Must see films include The Young Master, Hand of Death, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and The Fearless Hyena. Try to avoid anything Jackie did with director Wei Lo.

2) Jackie, Sammo and Biao Yuen: The Three Dragons
IMO Jackie was at his best when he was teamed up with his Peking Opera Schoolmates Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao throughout the 80's. I highly recommend the following: Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever and the Project A films. Jackie also did some of his best solo work in the 80's including Police Story 1 and 2, Miracles, Crime Story and the Armour of God films.

3) Jackie Chan in America
These are not the best of his filmography but there are some classics here and there in this most recent era. Look for Rumble in the Bronx, Who Am I? and even Mr. Nice Guy.

That should do you for awhile. If you enjoy those and want to dig deeper you probably will be happy with just about anything made between 1974 and 1998. Enjoy!

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Whats some good light sci-fi space movies? Something like Moon or even The Fountain, Sci-Fi without aliens and laser battles.

edit: also like COntact.

Another movie I remembered that someone didn't know the name of was where these guys get stuck in some sort of warp travel and watch the universe recreate itself?

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 21, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Whats some good light sci-fi space movies? Something like Moon or even The Fountain, Sci-Fi without aliens and laser battles.

I wouldn't call it "light," but if you're looking for realistic you should check out Primer.

Edit: Oops, missed "space." Sorry.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In space but not space opera is a pretty limited field, far as I can tell. There's 2001, of course, which even if you've already seen it you should watch it with Moon still fresh in your mind (or vice versa) because Moon is littered with nods and references to it.

I didn't like the more recent film adaptation of Solaris (and never saw the old one), but it does cover similar themes, and you might get more mileage out of it than I did, especially if you read the book after rather than before watching the film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I hate to recommend a TV show in this thread, but if you haven't you really should watch Battlestar Galactica.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I keep searching and searching for good serial killer movies, but keep coming back with the same ones (mainly The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Zodiac and the first couple of Saw films, Psycho). Everything else I find when searching seems to be pretty lowly rated, or classed as generic. I'm looking for the kind of film where the identity of the killer is at first unknown and we watch as its investigated or uncovered, or as the action unfolds. Any suggestions?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I keep searching and searching for good serial killer movies, but keep coming back with the same ones (mainly The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Zodiac and the first couple of Saw films, Psycho). Everything else I find when searching seems to be pretty lowly rated, or classed as generic. I'm looking for the kind of film where the identity of the killer is at first unknown and we watch as its investigated or uncovered, or as the action unfolds. Any suggestions?

Memories of Murder

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oceanside posted:

Profondo Rosso (Deep Red), and if you like that, the rest of Dario Argento's Giallo films (Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre, and Opera). They blend modern slasher sensibilities with police procedurals pretty well.

Also, Vengeance is Mine and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer are both great and deeply unsettling, but those ones are from the killer's POV, so you know who it is from the beginning.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Memories of Murder

Oh drat, I should have included that on my list. I watched it back before summer. Was a really good film, just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Profondo Rosso (Deep Red), and if you like that, the rest of Dario Argento's Giallo films (Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre, and Opera). They blend modern slasher sensibilities with police procedurals pretty well.

Also, Vengeance is Mine and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer are both great and deeply unsettling, but those ones are from the killer's POV, so you know who it is from the beginning.

Haven't seen any of these, going to check out Giallo now. Thanks a lot!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

edit: also like COntact.

Another movie I remembered that someone didn't know the name of was where these guys get stuck in some sort of warp travel and watch the universe recreate itself?

To your edit: Something like that was in one of the last Futurama episodes :v:

Generaly:

Total Recal. Brutal, Funny, very good.
Gattaca
(Children of Men. Not space, but scifi-ish and very good)
(Event Horizon. Scifi-Horror, but still good.)
Minority Report/Repo Men/Surrogates/I Robot/5th Element. There has been a lot of mainstream movies that are watchable or even good.

And maybe Firefly and Space: Above and Beyond. Space has space battles and lasers, but is an incredibly well made show that everybody has to see.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oceanside posted:

Oh, I should make it clear by the way that when I say "Giallo," I'm referring to the genre. Not Dario Argento's film from last year entitled Giallo, which I haven't yet seen, but is, by all accounts, a piece of crap.

Basically, unless you're a die-hard Argento fanboy, you should probably avoid everything he made post-1988 or so (right after Opera). But up until then, he was possibly my favorite director.

Also, thanks FFD for reminding me I need to see Memories of Murder. I'm huge into procedurals, and that one sounded right up my alley.

Speaking of procedurals, anyone here see Police, Adjective? It sounded pretty awesome, but I'm having a bitch of a time finding a copy.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Also, thanks FFD for reminding me I need to see Memories of Murder. I'm huge into procedurals, and that one sounded right up my alley.
See The Chaser while at it. It doesn't satisfy the criteria that the identity of the killer needs to be unknown, but that doesn't mean there isn't plentiful suspense, and in other respects it's right up there with Se7en or Silence of the Lambs.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

oceanside posted:

Citizen X is a very good made for TV (HBO or Showtime or something) serial killer movie. May or may not satisfy every single objective of what you're looking for, but it's very good and serial killer related. Why not watch it.

Also, it's based on a true story.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Speaking of procedurals, anyone here see Police, Adjective? It sounded pretty awesome, but I'm having a bitch of a time finding a copy.

I think I've seen it pop up on Sundance or IFC recently. Haven't watched it myself, but the mere fact that someone in here has mentioned it has put it on my radar for the next time.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's very good. It has one of my favorite climaxes in recent memory, by sheer virtue of how ballsy and thoughtful it is.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I'm going to be stuck watching a very young girl (~5 I think?) and I'm having troubles coming up with stuff to watch with her. She liked Ghostbusters so I'm going to dig out my copies of 1 and 2, but other than disney stuff that she isn't too ken on, I'm lost. Any recommendations for something an adult male could stand to watch alongside her?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Synnr posted:

I'm going to be stuck watching a very young girl (~5 I think?) and I'm having troubles coming up with stuff to watch with her. She liked Ghostbusters so I'm going to dig out my copies of 1 and 2, but other than disney stuff that she isn't too ken on, I'm lost. Any recommendations for something an adult male could stand to watch alongside her?

Labyrinth, or maybe the Wallace and Gromit series? They've both got a good number of jokes that fly right over the head of little kids, or in the case of some of the W&G shorts are just charming and funny in general.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
This is a really specific inkling, but you guys are pretty pro at this so I figured I'd ask. I recently watched From Hell, and while the movie itself wasn't particularly good, the gothy, seedy, morbid feel of the setting was right up my late-1800s London alley. Is there anything that might be somewhat similar? An 18th or 19th setting would be preferable, but really anything that has to do with seedy urban underbellies of society, grim gothic imagery, crypts and cemeteries, general feeling of decay, etc.

Some movies that I'm preemptively guessing people might suggest are Candyman which I loved, Bram Stoker's Dracula which was alright at best, and Sweeney Todd which looked nice but was also a bit too much black humor to be really involving.

Horror is fine, but I've seen just about every horror movie made since the late 70s and I think I'm looking for something that balances dread and believability.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mung Dynasty posted:

This is a really specific inkling, but you guys are pretty pro at this so I figured I'd ask. I recently watched From Hell, and while the movie itself wasn't particularly good, the gothy, seedy, morbid feel of the setting was right up my late-1800s London alley. Is there anything that might be somewhat similar? An 18th or 19th setting would be preferable, but really anything that has to do with seedy urban underbellies of society, grim gothic imagery, crypts and cemeteries, general feeling of decay, etc.

Some movies that I'm preemptively guessing people might suggest are Candyman which I loved, Bram Stoker's Dracula which was alright at best, and Sweeney Todd which looked nice but was also a bit too much black humor to be really involving.

Horror is fine, but I've seen just about every horror movie made since the late 70s and I think I'm looking for something that balances dread and believability.

Hangover Square and The Lodger, both directed by John Brahm.

You'd probably also like Perfume: Story of a Murderer.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm looking for political/allegorical Westerns, in the vein of High Noon. A standard revisionist Western isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I need films that commented on contemporary politics in the same way High Noon took on McCarthyism.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

FitFortDanga posted:

Hangover Square and The Lodger, both directed by John Brahm.

You'd probably also like Perfume: Story of a Murderer.

You know, I watched Perfume: Story of a Murderer the other day and didn't even think to recommend that.

Probably because I blocked out too much when I tried to throw a mental block over the last 25 minutes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm looking for political/allegorical Westerns, in the vein of High Noon. A standard revisionist Western isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I need films that commented on contemporary politics in the same way High Noon took on McCarthyism.

The Ox-Bow Incident is your baby.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

penismightier posted:

The Ox-Bow Incident is your baby.

Great, thanks.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Great, thanks.

Oooh also Silver Lode. Kind of like High Noon, but without the production values. Johnny Guitar hits those McCarthy-era persecution issues too.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I've been on a brando kick. On the waterfront was pretty good but I really loved A Streetcar Named Desire. I'm sure I'd get a lot out of watching The Godfather again, but does he do anything else with the magnetism of Streetcar?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

penismightier posted:

Johnny Guitar hits those McCarthy-era persecution issues too.

I've been recommended Johnny Guitar, but it doesn't seem to be available on Region 1 DVD. Oh well.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Are there any films about race relations that are as good as Do the Right Thing? I find I generally don't like Spike Lee (haven't seen a whole lot, admittedly) but Do is bar none the most honest and effective film I've seen in that area. I disliked American History X and loathed Crash with every fiber of my being.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

Are there any films about race relations that are as good as Do the Right Thing? I find I generally don't like Spike Lee (haven't seen a whole lot, admittedly) but Do is bar none the most honest and effective film I've seen in that area. I disliked [b]American History X and loathed [b]Crash with every fiber of my being.

I don't know if I would say any of these are as good as DTRT, but I liked them:

Odds Against Tomorrow
The Crimson Kimono
No Way Out (not the Kevin Costner one)
A Time for Burning
Mississippi Burning
Imitation of Life

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the Bunt posted:

Are there any films about race relations that are as good as Do the Right Thing? I find I generally don't like Spike Lee (haven't seen a whole lot, admittedly) but Do is bar none the most honest and effective film I've seen in that area. I disliked American History X and loathed Crash with every fiber of my being.

Probably in the minority here (no pun intended) but I thought Lakeview Terrace was very good. Give that one a shot.

And if you haven't seen The Wire yet, that's about as epic and well done as you can get. Race relations comes up a lot in it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

the Bunt posted:

It's a polarizing film (as with most of his work), but I thought Lars Von Trier's Mandalay raised some fascinating ideas about race that definitely left you thinking. It's more a piece of provocation than DTRT (which is more heightened drama), but it's got some interesting themes going.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

oceanside posted:

Oh drat, I should have included that on my list. I watched it back before summer. Was a really good film, just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's our Giallo Primer.

As LtKenFrankenstein said, Argento's newest film Giallo (2009) is only worth the 90 minutes to Argento completionists. If nothing else, save it for last.

My picks of the genre are Argento's Profondo Rosso, Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre and Opera. Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace and Lucio Fulci's New York Ripper (the grimiest movie Abel Ferrara never directed!)

Starscream fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 30, 2010

Sewer Cartographer
Aug 23, 2003
i like to watch.....stuff
I've always liked the atmosphere of movies set in 70's New York after dark.
Taxi Driver and The Warriors come to mind.
Are there any other movies you can recommend that have that same kind of feel to it?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sewer Cartographer posted:

I've always liked the atmosphere of movies set in 70's New York after dark.
Taxi Driver and The Warriors come to mind.
Are there any other movies you can recommend that have that same kind of feel to it?

It's not 70s, but After Hours, another Scorsese movie, is perfect for what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've been recommended Johnny Guitar, but it doesn't seem to be available on Region 1 DVD. Oh well.

I think it may be on TCM On Demand at the moment, if you've got that.

• Locked thread