Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

The Darjeeling Limited reviewed. Looks like there's a glitch on this one that may warrant a new pressing.

I saw the pic with the supposed error, looks exactly like a lens flare.... Someone with the DVD said it was there as well. I mean, I guess good diligence to the reviewer for contacting Criterion about it, but I personally would have held the review until I got the response since the title doesn't come out for another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not a bug, it's a feature :v:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

What the hell ever happened to Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane? Weren't they (more or less) officially announced at one point?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
gently caress Citizen Kane, give me Touch of Evil (affordably priced) and we'll call it a day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

StickySweater posted:

gently caress Citizen Kane, give me Touch of Evil (affordably priced) and we'll call it a day.

This and The Trial and F for Fake are all movies I'd want more than Kane. The difference is I still have those on DVD, but (foolishly) sold my copy of Kane when they said a BR was forthcoming.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Captain Charisma posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature :v:

Are you just trying to be funny, or are you seriously saying I'm putting spin on something you consider a flaw?

FitFortDanga posted:

What the hell ever happened to Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane? Weren't they (more or less) officially announced at one point?

Neither was ever officially announced. Retailers had put listings up for Taxi Driver a few times, but Sony has never officially said a word, and Sony insider Penton at Blu-ray.com said those listings were erroneous. And WB has mentioned Citizen Kane in press releases as "Coming in 2011", but no official date either.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I saw the pic with the supposed error, looks exactly like a lens flare.... Someone with the DVD said it was there as well. I mean, I guess good diligence to the reviewer for contacting Criterion about it, but I personally would have held the review until I got the response since the title doesn't come out for another month.

Darjeeling was shot anamorphic, which tends of have weird flares. See the Playboy concert scene in Apocalypse Now.

It looks gorgeous. The DVD is still my reference for how far DVD can go when properly mastered.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Taxi Driver was cancelled (or I guess indefinitely postponed, nobody knows for sure)
Citizen Kane is 2011 along with Ben-Hur http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4526

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe Taxi Driver will be through Criterion now that Sony and Image are joint-producing stuff.

Seconding the yearning for Welles in HD. The Trial is StudioCanal, so no hope for a Criterion. I'd like to see Universal try out Touch of Evil if just for having all three cuts on one disc. F for Fake would be a GREAT opportunity if just to include the original Reichenbach documentary as an extra and the restored trailer. Maybe even upgrade One Man Band and that trailer to 1080p, plus add the Masters of Cinema commentary.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Are you just trying to be funny

yes

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Santa Sangre 1/25 :aaa:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?optio...news&Itemid=167

quote:

One of the most-desired titles by Stateside disc collectors has long been Alejandro Jodorowsky’s shocking and fascinating 1989 feature SANTA SANGRE. Now, Fango has received word that the acclaimed hallucinatory fantasy-chiller will make its American DVD/Blu-ray debut early next year.

Severin Films will release the discs January 25, 2011, derived from a restored print of the uncut European version. There will also be more than five hours of extras on the two-DVD set and Blu-ray, accompanying the saga of a young man, once a circus performer with his family, who escapes from an asylum and helps his armless mother get murderous revenge. While final details have yet to be confirmed, the supplements currently slated include:

• Audio commentary by Jodorowsky

• Deleted scenes

• Multiple documentaries

• New on-camera interviews with the majority of the film’s cast and crew

• Domestic and international trailers

• Coverage of Jodorowsky’s forthcoming NYC appearances

The latter includes the director’s first-ever American retrospective, titled “Blood Into Gold: The Cinematic Alchemy of Alejandro Jodorowsky,” which takes place this Thursday, September 23-Friday, October 8 at New York City’s Museum of Arts and Design (2 Columbus Circle). Jodorowsky, whose classic films also include EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, will be in attendance to conduct a rare master class on his films and philosophy; go here for more details.

“SANTA SANGRE is a landmark acquisition for us,” says Severin co-founder and CEO David Gregory. “Jodorowsky is one of the few true visionaries of cinema, and the opportunity to bring his modern masterpiece back to America is a genuine honor. Our restoration of the film, combined with an unprecedented collection of bonus features, will now introduce this brilliant film to a whole new audience.” Look for final details on the SANTA SANGRE disc contents shortly.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Santa Sangre 1/25 :aaa:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?optio...news&Itemid=167

Nice! One of my favorite Jodorowskys.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe Taxi Driver will be through Criterion now that Sony and Image are joint-producing stuff.

If criterion (who wants to do Scorsese) is going to do Taxi Driver what are they odds the color correct the final shootout so it's as Scorsese originally intended.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SneakySneaks posted:

If criterion (who wants to do Scorsese) is going to do Taxi Driver what are they odds the color correct the final shootout so it's as Scorsese originally intended.

Not a chance in hell. Scorsese loved the effect of the color change.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

StudioCanal managed to not gently caress up on Mulholland Drive, they get a sticker.

The first screenshot here says otherwise.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Um, have you actually watched the movie before? That is meant to happen. Think Jacob's Ladder

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Sporadic posted:

Um, have you actually watched the movie before? That is meant to happen. Think Jacob's Ladder
Did it? It's been years since I've seen it. Don't recall such an effect, thought it was ghosting.

Disregard my previous message, I am an idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to admit that it wouldn't be impossible for StudioCanal to actually gently caress up that much

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I know like absolutely nothing about these "blue rays" and what have you, but...

Region-free possibilities is really what's interesting me with blu-ray, since there are so few regions in the first place. And while alot of releases are region-free right now, I'm not sure I see that lasting for the long run. So I'm wondering if I bought a player that was region-free, and I had to update it to watch a movie, but that update also locked it out from being region-free...how much of a possibility is that? Would I be better off just buying region B and C players at some point?

This is a dumb post but I don't know anything about this stuff. Being able to reliably delve into other region dvds while at the same time being able to play blu-rays is a pretty big draw for me, so I was just wondering.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I know like absolutely nothing about these "blue rays" and what have you, but...

Region-free possibilities is really what's interesting me with blu-ray, since there are so few regions in the first place. And while alot of releases are region-free right now, I'm not sure I see that lasting for the long run. So I'm wondering if I bought a player that was region-free, and I had to update it to watch a movie, but that update also locked it out from being region-free...how much of a possibility is that? Would I be better off just buying region B and C players at some point?

This is a dumb post but I don't know anything about this stuff. Being able to reliably delve into other region dvds while at the same time being able to play blu-rays is a pretty big draw for me, so I was just wondering.

I can't speak for all players, as some may have region free capabilities via software holes or hacks, and those could be "fixed" with future firmwares.

However, for the player I am using, that isn't a problem. I have the Oppo BDP-83, and there's a simple hardware mod to make it region free for both BDs and DVDs - just needed a screwdriver, no soldering or anything of the kind required. The software of the player is untouched, so any firmware upgrades go through fine and the player is still region-free afterwards. The player is a bit pricy, but it's also one of the best players out there even without the easy region-free modification, so I think it's worth it. They have a cheaper version, the BDP-80, that also has a region-free mod available, though some of the premium features of the actual player are dropped.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is set for release on November 9th.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Darjeeling was shot anamorphic, which tends of have weird flares. See the Playboy concert scene in Apocalypse Now.

Punch-Drunk Love made me fall in love with anamorphic flares.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I posted earlier in the thread that my individual copies of Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers from Amazon had digital copy discs (and no codes) in place of the special features dvds. I received my replacement shipment today and the exact same thing has occurred. Amazon is and has been no help in determining how this happened and to what magnitude, so I'm just chalking it up as a loss. Anyway, if you're going to buy the single releases of LOTR, buy from a B&M store. That's the only way you seem to be guaranteed to get what's promised on the back of the case.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OGB posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is set for release on November 9th.

Speaking of which:

quote:

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK:

* INSIDER DOCUMENTARIES:

o Making of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
o Music Featurette
o You Too Can Be Sex Bob-Omb

* ALTERNATE FOOTAGE: A special look at alternative edits to the film.
* PRE-PRODUCTION: A look inside the film’s pre-production process including storyboards, pre-visualizations, animatics, motion capture tests, rehearsal footage, casting tapes, hair/make-up tests and more!
* THE MUSIC OF SCOTT PILGIRM VS. THE WORLD: This feature includes four complete music videos and video remixes from legendary DJ Osymyso.
* VISUAL EFFECTS: This feature takes a second look at the movie’s inventive visual effects.
* SOUND WORK: A mini documentary about the creation of the film’s super-powered sonic landscape.
* TRAILERS & TV SPOTS from the theatrical release of the film
* ADULT SWIM™: Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation
* SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE CENSORS: TV safe version
* BEHIND-THE-SCENES PRODUCTION BLOGS from the set of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World by director /producer/ co-writer Edgar Wright.
* FREE BONUS MOVIE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY: Blu-ray Combo Pack consumers will have instant access to stream action hits Tremors or Pitch Black via BD-Live, Smartphone or computer.
* U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to delve into the making of the film with the click of the remote without ever leaving the movie.

o STORYBOARD PICTURE-IN-PICTURE

* POCKET BLU™ app: USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, iPad™, Blackberry®, Nokia® Android™, PC and Macintosh to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player and offers advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o virtual Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard that will facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

* DIGITAL COPY OF THE FILM: Blu-ray™ consumers can download a digital version of the movie to their Mac® and or Windows® PC for a limited time only.
* BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch the latest trailers and more.
* MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.
* AND LOTS MORE!

BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD:

* DELETED AND ALTERNATE SCENES with commentary from director/producer/ co-writer Edgar Wright
* SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE BLOOPERS

* FEATURE COMMENTARIES:
o Feature Commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright, co-writer Michael Bacall and Author Bryan Lee O’Malley
o Technical Commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright and director of photography Bill Pope
o Cast commentary with Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong and Brandon Routh
o Cast commentary with Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Kieran Culkin and Mark Webber
* BEHIND-THE-SCENES PHOTO GALLERIES including Edgar Wright’s photo blog
* TRIVIA TRACK
* GALLERIES: Production photos, art galleries and marketing concepts.

God I love when Edgar Wright puts together a home video release.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I hope the trivia track is a bit less intrusive than on Shaun of the Dead. That crap covers like 1/4 of the screen with a giant black box. Hopefully these are not on a solid background like that, completely unnecessary.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Egbert Souse posted:

Seconding the yearning for Welles in HD. The Trial is StudioCanal, so no hope for a Criterion.

Hell, I'd just settle for a copy of The Trial that didn't look like complete rear end.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Playstation 3 has been updated tonight with 3D support for blu-rays that have it. You of course need a 3D HDTV to take advantage of this, but it's finally there for when you are ready.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Not a chance in hell. Scorsese loved the effect of the color change.

The HD remaster used for Sony's 2-disc SE has better color throughout, but the shootout has more of a red/amber tint than the drained salmon tint. I'm not sure if it's how it originally looked or a byproduct of the old DVD having the wrong color timing. I recall a lot of early Sony DVDs having weird color timing (like Lawrence of Arabia's pink sand).

Given Sony's ace track record and Scorsese usually participating in remasters, we'll at least know it'll be right when it comes out.

ClydeUmney posted:

Hell, I'd just settle for a copy of The Trial that didn't look like complete rear end.

The StudioCanal DVD looks great. Besides ugly digital French credits, it's at least uncut and the image quality is excellent. It's ultra-rare, though. Optimum's DVD is 16x9, I think, but it apparently has the "Before the Law" prologue cut out. :wtf:

Citizen Kane will be a knock-out, no doubt. I just hope Warner also puts out The Magnificent Ambersons without making it DVD-only.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver on Darjeeling. Gary, who doesn't get hopelessly confused by lens flares, gives it a thumbs up.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit
I think that part is in 3D. Or at least that more interesting version of 3D that us poor folks simulate by drinking until our eyes go cross-eyed.

I do see at least see one half-booby in those shots though, so it makes me wonder about DVDBeaver's dedication to the art.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Blu-Ray.com says The Karate Kid is a reference audio/video disc. No surprise coming from Sony.

Iron Man 2 looks pretty good as well. Shame about the movie.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Bambi posted:

Blu-Ray.com says The Karate Kid is a reference audio/video disc. No surprise coming from Sony.

One thing that still confuses me for such a big-time site as Blu-ray.com is why all of their reviewers besides Dr. Svet Atanasov can't be bothered to actually check region codes, especially since they have a system for entering these prominently displayed on their site. Maybe they don't all have BD-ROM drives on their computers to make this easy, but can a reviewer really be considered legitimate without one?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Digital Bits interview with Lions Gate/American Zoetrope on Apocalypse Now

This set is loving loaded front to back. They even included the trailers in HD :allears: But most importantly:

:aaa:

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Return of the Living Dead is $10.49 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B003WTO5S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1285075748&sr=8-1

Awesome price that I couldn't pass up.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

This set is loving loaded front to back. They even included the trailers in HD :allears: But most importantly:

Yeah, I only have my VHS version, but the film did always look a bit dark to me. The pictures on the second page of that link are even more dramatic (because it's a more pivotal scene). It's been about 10 years since I saw it last. I should probably look into this.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Return of the Living Dead is $10.49 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B003WTO5S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1285075748&sr=8-1

Awesome price that I couldn't pass up.

Awesome! Thanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

That keeps up my confidence in my preorder.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Moulin Rouge! screencaps:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19221092&postcount=28
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19221519&postcount=32

:golfclap:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
In The Shadow Of The Moon has dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NOGNPQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003NOGNPQ

Ebert gave it four stars and it looks great in HD

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070913/REVIEWS/709130306

----------

And The Prisoner: Complete Series is down to $40 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C68WOG?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002C68WOG

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 21, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My copy of Bright Star came in a lovely purple case:

So simple, yet so elegant~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this