Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

About Lake Mungo (which I actually liked): After the ending, did anyone go back and check to see if the daughter was actually present in the original scenes where her image was later revealed?

I remember being pleased when I rewound Timecrimes and spotted a hiding character's arm in the background of the first time travel machine scene after seeing it portrayed from that character's point of view toward the end. I like the idea of a movie playing things fair and betting that you'll miss details like those the first time around.

I also liked Lake Mungo, and although I didn't do the thing you spoiled out, I did find myself wondering if they actually found alternate explanations for every sighting or anomaly. I'm tempted to say there were one or two that were still left unexplained at the end. It requires careful attention and careful viewing, which I'd argue many modern horror movies don't. So it comes off as boring to some. Personally, I'm more bored by any of the Saw sequels, but I think I'm more freaked out by the stuff I figure out for myself than things that are handed to me by the movie.

On the other hand, I don't get the love for Timecrimes. It was a neat idea, but it just seemed like it was going to lead up to something much worse than it actually did. It wasn't bad, and it would have made a good short film, but it just wasn't all that scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I love The Changeling!! Along those lines, check out Peter Straub's Ghost Story as well for all your campy 80's spookiness featuring aging British theater actors!

Amazon posted:

Upon its release in 1981, John Irvin's version of Peter Straub's bestselling horror novel was deemed one of the worst adaptations that the genre had ever produced. Now it's available on DVD.

Wow, really sell it Amazon.

Changeling wasn't bad. I can't see George C. Scott as anything other than Patton, so it's basically Patton vs some ghost, which is good enough for me. The scares are kinda like an updated version of The Haunting (1963).

Anyone got an opinion on the actual remake of The Haunting with Liam Neeson? Most of the negative comments on Amazon seem to focus on it not being intense or scary enough, but sometimes that's a good sign and sometimes it's not.

EDIT: I also love this time of year, because it's when horror movies become not only more available, but cheaper as well. Can't wait until October.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2010

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

About Lake Mungo (which I actually liked): After the ending, did anyone go back and check to see if the daughter was actually present in the original scenes where her image was later revealed?

I did, and she was.

It was great because there I am, sitting in bed at two in the morning, unnerved all to hell by what I'm seeing, and I think to myself, "Man, wouldn't it be awesome if they had her hidden throughout the movie?"

And then they did. I was pleased.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Craig Spradlin posted:

I also liked Lake Mungo, and although I didn't do the thing you spoiled out, I did find myself wondering if they actually found alternate explanations for every sighting or anomaly. I'm tempted to say there were one or two that were still left unexplained at the end. It requires careful attention and careful viewing, which I'd argue many modern horror movies don't. So it comes off as boring to some. Personally, I'm more bored by any of the Saw sequels, but I think I'm more freaked out by the stuff I figure out for myself than things that are handed to me by the movie.

On the other hand, I don't get the love for Timecrimes. It was a neat idea, but it just seemed like it was going to lead up to something much worse than it actually did. It wasn't bad, and it would have made a good short film, but it just wasn't all that scary.

Lake Mungo bored me, and I dislike the Saw films for other reasons. I guess I'm jaded. I've loved the horror/gore/slasher/exploitation genres since I was a wee lad boosting issues of Fangoria and Gorezone from Waldenbooks.

I'll watch almost anything that bills itself as a horror movie (or some sub-genre thereof), and I can't explain exactly what it is that makes me like a movie... but it is hard to achieve.

I really like the recent influx of well done and shockingly gory European slasher/thrillers, but I don't like the senseless and ignorant brutality of say Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes or the Saw films. I'm not even sure I could articulate a distinction to someone who wasn't a horror fan, but I think some people know what I mean. Is it possible to be a snob about such a generally debauched genre of film?

I viewed Lake Mungo as "carefully" as I'm ever apt to view a movie and I just didn't feel it rewarded me for the time spent. Someone earlier compared it to Blair Witch, but I think even that is an unfair comparison as Blair Witch (as trite as it seems now) actually was somewhat suspenseful, at least during the first viewing, and the ending was disturbing despite how cliche it seems a decade later.

My wife asked me why after so many years of overall disappointment I continue to subsist on a film diet composed almost entirely of horror. I didn't really have an answer other than when I find a good one, it takes me back to being 10 years old and watching Creepshow on HBO at 11pm for the first time again.

As for a recent watch that was alright: I just finished watching "Dread", an adaptation from the short story of the same name by Clive Barker. The movie was surprisingly good for a film that emerged from the "After Dark Horrorfest" collection, which gets worse and worse (if that is even possible) each year. It wasn't very faithful to the story at all, so don't go in expecting that and you'll be OK. I wish they would have condensed the middle of the film to be about 20 minutes shorter, but overall the decent ending made for a decent film. I'll view or read anything with Clive Barker's name attached to it so maybe I'm a little biased but I feel like I can recommend this one to the thread based on some other movies people in here seem to like.

StickySweater posted:

Wow, really sell it Amazon.

Hah, yeah. When Ghost Story came out, people hated it. I think it has a lot of charm as a standalone movie though. You're bound to hate it if you're a die-hard fan of the book, I think. I'm one of the few people that like both on their own merits. Thematically though, the movie is quite similar to The Changeling.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I moved the slider forward to skip the dumb jump scare that it starts with only for the entire screen to freak out with stuff flying at the screen.

I do hope that they play up the distortion effect a lot in this one since it seems to have the budget to do so. It's been a while since I saw the first one but I remember the distortion on Katie's voice before the final scene to be pretty bad. Interesting that the entire thing seems to play up the Mother/Son angle a lot.

I think the thing to notice at the end was the kid's reflection showed him standing in the crib, but he wasn't actually standing in the crib. Kid is a ghost!

If this movie doesn't have a thick chick with big tatties, it will be a complete failure as a sequel.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Defleshed posted:

I really like the recent influx of well done and shockingly gory European slasher/thrillers, but I don't like the senseless and ignorant brutality of say Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes or the Saw films. I'm not even sure I could articulate a distinction to someone who wasn't a horror fan, but I think some people know what I mean. Is it possible to be a snob about such a generally debauched genre of film?

I really find that interesting.

Although I do enjoy the new wave of French horror (like Inside, Martyrs, Haute Tension, etc.), I think they're so much more brutal that they are on a different level than mainstream American horror like Rob Zombie's work. Inside and Martyrs in particular are so heavy and serious in their goal of beating the life out of the viewer that I think they become an experience wholly different than a stereotypical slasher film. I think they're definitely art, but (at least for me) they're experience is a much more difficult one to go through and I think that's part of their goal.

Whereas I can watch and rewatch Rob Zombie's Halloween (or the Friday films, or even older and bloodier films like The Prowler or The Burning), I can definitely say that Inside and Martyrs are films that I don't intend to watch again for fun. Are the French new wave more successful at really being horror then? I guess so.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because I find myself being less tolerant of realistic and/or depraved gore as I get older. I can watch traditional horror films like mainstream slashers fine, but I won't even attempt Human Centipede or Siberian Film, have a difficult time with Inside and Martyrs, and even find scenes like the leg breaking in Frozen difficult.

Edit: I obviously meant A Serbian Film, but I'll keep my error to show how dumb I am.

Violator fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 16, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Violator posted:

I really find that interesting.

Although I do enjoy the new wave of French horror (like Inside, Martyrs, Haute Tension, etc.), I think they're so much more brutal that they are on a different level than mainstream American horror like Rob Zombie's work. Inside and Martyrs in particular are so heavy and serious in their goal of beating the life out of the viewer that I think they become an experience wholly different than a stereotypical slasher film. I think they're definitely art, but (at least for me) they're experience is a much more difficult one to go through and I think that's part of their goal.

The distinction for me I think is that the violence in (for example) Inside serves to accentuate the direness of the situation the heroine faces and to ratchet up the tension and suspense, whereas Zombie's ham-fisted baseball bat beatings at the hands of his version of Michael Myers have only one perceptible effect on me, which is nausea. One feels like true horror, the other feels like pandering to the same meatheads who probably like Zombie's "music", and I say this as a fan of "House of 1,000 Corpses" which was a much more creative and fun movie than either of the Halloween remakes.

I have no desire to rewatch Inside or High Tension either, but I think that stands as a testament to their effect on my psyche and says nothing about their qualities as art (regardless of what people may say about our preferred genre, those films are art), whereas my lack of desire to rewatch something like Saw 2 stems from entirely different reasons.

As for things like A Serbian Film and to a much lesser extent The Human Centipede, I think those films approach their viewers from an entirely different angle. There is no desire for tension or suspense and no attempt is made to to create such an atmosphere. These films set out to confront you, to push the limits of what people will sit and watch for 90 minutes, and to leave you questioning yourself and your own tastes, in my opinion.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2010

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

StickySweater posted:

Anyone got an opinion on the actual remake of The Haunting with Liam Neeson? Most of the negative comments on Amazon seem to focus on it not being intense or scary enough, but sometimes that's a good sign and sometimes it's not.

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember it being pretty bad. It's not scary, or even funny in a "it's so bad it's good way" and the effects were awful even in '99.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember it being pretty bad. It's not scary, or even funny in a "it's so bad it's good way" and the effects were awful even in '99.

It's the perfect horror movie for a 12 year old girl. That's not a bad thing, and it might even be the market they were aiming for.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Phantom Goat posted:

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/

Another Paranormal Activity 2 teaser. This one might actually turn out to be pretty good.

I got the same one but with the flash in the middle and the weird zoom/distortion thing at the end

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Violator posted:

It's the perfect horror movie for a 12 year old girl. That's not a bad thing, and it might even be the market they were aiming for.

Yeah that's a pretty perfect description of it. I just always end up comparing it to The House on The Haunted Hill remake that came out the same year which I enjoyed more for being dumb fun.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Slasherfan posted:

I re watched Happy Birthday To Me last night, one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, it still holds up so well. Hysteria Lives just did an entire piece on it. I'd love to see a remake, a proper one, not one done by those hacks at Screen Gems. Also love to see a sequel to My Bloody Valentine, come on, it made 100 million worldwide on a 14 million budget, why no sequel :(, they did Halloween 2 and part 1 only did 80 worldwide.

I guess the line in the article about Melissa Sue Anderson's most famous role is wrong if the author cannot figure out that the show she was on was Little House on the Prairie. And color me confused that if you found the original so perfect (as did I minus the cheat), why you would want it remade. I mean, I love Casablanca, but I don't want to see a new version with Cate Blanchett and Joaquin Phoenix (and Johnny Knoxville taking Peter Lorre's role, gasp).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd be down with Knoxville in a Casablanca remake

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just watched the Last Exorcism. While I appreciate how they tried to keep the whole thing ambigous up until the end, I think that it was almost as if they wrote themselves into a corner and picked the lamest way to end it possible.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Bob Loblaw posted:

I mean, I love Casablanca, but I don't want to see a new version with Cate Blanchett and Joaquin Phoenix (and Johnny Knoxville taking Peter Lorre's role, gasp).

Shut up because now I want to watch this. :x

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Bob Loblaw posted:

I guess the line in the article about Melissa Sue Anderson's most famous role is wrong if the author cannot figure out that the show she was on was Little House on the Prairie. And color me confused that if you found the original so perfect (as did I minus the cheat), why you would want it remade. I mean, I love Casablanca, but I don't want to see a new version with Cate Blanchett and Joaquin Phoenix (and Johnny Knoxville taking Peter Lorre's role, gasp).

I don't know, I'd just like to see another take on it. I know I'm probably asking for trouble and I'd probably get another Prom Night or April Fools Day but I would love to see it done right.
Another part of me wants a remake cause of the lack of who done it slashers recently.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Waterhaul posted:

This. It's awful on every level.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Yes. My wife and I watched it twice because we wanted to show it to a friend. She's "really" in every single picture, in the same spots she's seen in during the credits. Great film.

EDIT: Beaten, hard. But, yes, the movie does reward you for watching it a second time.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

rxcowboy posted:

Just watched the Last Exorcism. While I appreciate how they tried to keep the whole thing ambigous up until the end, I think that it was almost as if they wrote themselves into a corner and picked the lamest way to end it possible.

Nope, it owned and I'll fight anyone who expresses such a dumb and wrong opinion

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Last Exorcism was awesome, and creepy as hell; I wonder how it got a PG-13 rating.
I gotta say one of my favourite parts was the minister going all The Exorcist.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I don't know if scariness necessarily has anything to do with rating- does it? Fear is very subjective- whether people are scared of ghosts, killers, zombies, monsters, aliens, whatever, but things like gore, torture, graphic murder etc are generally considered pretty disturbing overall. I don't know much about ratings so if anyone knows if "terror" is a qualifier for any specific rating then feel free to correct me.

Had they shown more cursing and weird pervy possession stuff and maybe a more graphic birth or some demon baby-eatin' then maybe it would have been R, but overall it was tame. Really, really tame. I love horror specifically BECAUSE I love being scared and nothing did it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the original premise of a guy losing his faith and filming his "last exorcism" to prove its all a hoax is an awesome idea, and it was going well, but I think it even lost some of its steam even before the ending.

I thought the anarchy A's and 666's and inverted pentagrams and poo poo scrawled all over the house was hilarious, it looked like a bunch of 14 year old angry kids vandalized their grandparents' house

And altogether more horrifying than any of that is that Uwe Boll is making a movie about Auschwitz. There's a thread about it here and in GBS. Maybe he heard about Serbian Film and decided he just could NOT be outdone in the tasteless explotative film category.

Whispering Machines fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 17, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They still showed a young girl delivering a demon baby and throwing that baby onto a fire, and there was also the body horror. It's not very explicit but I'm sure theres been movies slapped with an R rating for less.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think that without the girl who played Nell, it wouldn't have worked at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Whispering Machines posted:

I thought the anarchy A's and 666's and inverted pentagrams and poo poo scrawled all over the house was hilarious, it looked like a bunch of 14 year old angry kids vandalized their grandparents' house

I maintain that this is intentional, and Nell was actually just trying to get the priest to think she was possessed so he would perform a real exorcism or something.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Piling on the Last Exorcism talk I finally saw it today and really enjoyed it. It's a very odd film that keeps switching between different styles but it worked over all due to the great performances with Cotton and Nell.

I can see why people would hate the ending but the shot of Cotton walking up to take down the gigantic fiery demon with his fake crucifix in hand made it work for me. The only thing that irked me about it was the fact that it showed the faces of all the cult members rather than just alluding to them, I know the film gave up any pretence of being a found footage film due to it having tense music during the demonic scenes, but there'd be just no way that Caleb wouldn't have destroyed the camera the second after he'd killed Daniel.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Piling on the Last Exorcism talk I finally saw it today and really enjoyed it. It's a very odd film that keeps switching between different styles but it worked over all due to the great performances with Cotton and Nell.

I can see why people would hate the ending but the shot of Cotton walking up to take down the gigantic fiery demon with his fake crucifix in hand made it work for me. The only thing that irked me about it was the fact that it showed the faces of all the cult members rather than just alluding to them, I know the film gave up any pretence of being a found footage film due to it having tense music during the demonic scenes, but there'd be just no way that Caleb wouldn't have destroyed the camera the second after he'd killed Daniel.
Well, it's not said who finds it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Honest Thief posted:

Well, it's not said who finds it.

If there was an after the credits scene where the film was just the ridiculously fat woman/priests assistant watching the footage and being amazed that she was in it I would love the film even more.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Watched Girly off of Netflix instant que and it was surprisingly good, a 1970's British horror movie with good acting a hot babe who looks like Goldie Hawn in the titular role, and a nice twist.
No over the top gore or torture porn but worth the watch for sure.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I saw Lake Mungo a day or two ago on this thread's recommendation. It wasn't bad, but it definitely tries to create an atmosphere that is creepy rather than flat out scary. It sort of had to be that way though, when you consider the natural progression that the fake-documentary format forces you to take. It reminded me a bit of The Last Broadcast

I'm in the process of going through a lot of the old slasher franchises right now. A few short reviews for you.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I've been a fan of this series since I was about 10 or so. I even watched the TV Series even though it was nowhere near appropriate for my age (can't remember if it was any good though).
Part 1: Awesome of course.
Part 2: Kinda blah and broke the rules of the series. Great intro though!
Part 3: Back to awesome, as good as (if not better than) the original. "Welcome to primetime, bitch!"
Part 4: Passable despite 80s nonsense.
Part 5: Not terrible, but somewhat boring and dreary.

That's as far as I've gotten, but I did get the others in this set, which is a good value.

I'm also going through the Friday the 13th series as well. I'm up to part VI and I'm going to watch part VII soon. I'd rank them as well, but honestly, they're all pretty much the same. The first and second ones stand out as the best that I've seen so far though. Everything else is way to formulaic.

I got this documentary pretty cheap recently (about $10), but I want to hold off on watching it until I've seen them all.

The Halloween series will be the next I tackle after these. So far, all I've seen is parts I and II.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A friend and I have been going through the NOES series too. 1 and 3 are, hands down, the best. I'd also argue that 3 might be better than 1....

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Anyone into the NOES movies should really see the Never Sleep Again documentary. It covers the whole series, and it's really informative/entertaining. They interview a bunch of people involved with the movies, and it's put together really well. It's 4 hours long and there's never a dull moment.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Children is up on Hulu right now. It's an underrated, atmospheric slice of early-80s suburban horror that I don't think many people have seen. Think Village of the Damned crossed with Dawn of the Dead. Pretty good, y'all should check it out.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

"A nuclear-plant leak turns a bus-load of children into murderous atomic zombies with black fingernails."

Are their nails somehow very important to the movie? That just seems strange to mention in a one line summary.

The Devil's Backbone is up on Netflix Instant view, and I thought that was a really loving creepy movie. Spooky little black eyed ghost kid. Plus Eduardo Noriega is a total rear end in a top hat but still really hot. :allears:

In the same vein as The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth, it's creepy and weird AND sad!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

The Devil's Backbone is up on Netflix Instant view, and I thought that was a really loving creepy movie. Spooky little black eyed ghost kid. Plus Eduardo Noriega is a total rear end in a top hat but still really hot. :allears:

In the same vein as The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth, it's creepy and weird AND sad!

I recommend it as well. Saw it years ago, but it's definitely del Toro's spiritual predecessor to Pan's Labyrinth.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn

"A nuclear-plant leak turns a bus-load of children into murderous atomic zombies with black fingernails."

Are their nails somehow very important to the movie? That just seems strange to mention in a one line summary.

Are you referencing The Children? I don't recall that being anywhere near a correct description, if we are discussing the Northern European movie that just came out a year or two ago.

There are only a handful of kids in the Finnish? Swedish? flick, and they are all with their parents on a weekend getaway out in the woods, at a family's cottage. It's very slow, and atmospheric, and quiet and creepy and in my opinion, fantastic. It has this wonderful 70's feel to it that I can't quite describe but I get from the really good suspense/horror from that decade.

E: nevermind, I was wrong; on reread I see you guys are discussing something different. I'll leave this up as an intro to the movie I was vouching for, though. Apologies.

Mr.Graves fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 22, 2010

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Mr.Graves posted:

Are you referencing The Children? I don't recall that being anywhere near a correct description, if we are discussing the Northern European movie that just came out a year or two ago.

There are only a handful of kids in the Finnish? Swedish? flick, and they are all with their parents on a weekend getaway out in the woods, at a family's cottage. It's very slow, and atmospheric, and quiet and creepy and in my opinion, fantastic. It has this wonderful 70's feel to it that I can't quite describe but I get from the really good suspense/horror from that decade.

E: nevermind, I was wrong; on reread I see you guys are discussing something different. I'll leave this up as an intro to the movie I was vouching for, though. Apologies.

It was good and the whole tent scene made me really uncomfortable :ohdear:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Stupid question here:

I don't know if it's been discussed because I don't know the name of the film.

I remember maybe a year ago seeing a trailer for what looked like a western movie, but with, things... under the ground that would eat people at night. They showed people disappearing into holes and such.

I don't know if it came out yet or even the name.... if anyone does that would be superb. It looked at least interesting. (I have the thing for monsters)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Pooptron2003 posted:

Stupid question here:

I don't know if it's been discussed because I don't know the name of the film.

I remember maybe a year ago seeing a trailer for what looked like a western movie, but with, things... under the ground that would eat people at night. They showed people disappearing into holes and such.

I don't know if it came out yet or even the name.... if anyone does that would be superb. It looked at least interesting. (I have the thing for monsters)

I have never heard of this, but I really, really, REALLY hope it's a real thing.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

The Burrowers

I liked it. It has Clancy Brown in it! And like 2-3 guys from Lost. I thought the monster design was kind of meh, but overall I enjoyed it.

I wish the monsters looked more like mutated creepy humans than what they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Burrowers

I liked it. It has Clancy Brown in it! And like 2-3 guys from Lost. I thought the monster design was kind of meh, but overall I enjoyed it.

Awesome! Thanks! It's also up to stream on Netflix, so I know what I'll be doing tonight.