Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AxeManiac posted:

I wonder if GOG came back and said, "well, we lost our records of what games you had" would any of you be able to list %100 the games you paid for? I don't think I could list them all.

I don't have the installers anymore, but I did save all the "special material" for each game I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

AxeManiac posted:

would any of you be able to list %100 the games you paid for?
I could tell you the drat file sizes of the bonus wallpapers for any of my GOG games.

I actually just sort of assumed everyone downloaded everything and kept them all backed-up. Each game in a folder (subfolders for series) with all included bonus materials downloaded and stored, plus text files noting any handy tweaks or extra instructions I found that made the games run better. (resolution tweaks, etc) That was sort of the point of the DRM-Free thing, wasn't it? Their part is to give me files I can effectively keep around forever, and my part is to keep them around. Or am I just OCD when it comes to file organization?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Robot Hobo posted:

I could tell you the drat file sizes of the bonus wallpapers for any of my GOG games.

I actually just sort of assumed everyone downloaded everything and kept them all backed-up. Each game in a folder (subfolders for series) with all included bonus materials downloaded and stored, plus text files noting any handy tweaks or extra instructions I found that made the games run better. (resolution tweaks, etc) That was sort of the point of the DRM-Free thing, wasn't it? Their part is to give me files I can effectively keep around forever, and my part is to keep them around. Or am I just OCD when it comes to file organization?

If you are, I am too (down to the helpful textfiles and 3rd party addons). The DRM-free, client-free model (plus the experimental nature of it all) said to me that the service was placing both the ability and responsibility to backup and archive my stuff.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

How about we just rename the thread to "Good Old Games - Braindead Business Decisions For Marketing Schemes? Yes, please!"

Also nthing that Metaboli buying these guys would be the worst thing. They've already cannibalized what was left of GameTap. Granted, GT sort of screwed themselves up before the buyout, who knows how. Maybe TheRedEye can give us some dirt. All I know is that when I got turned on to them, they had a great blog run by the UI designers, and that in their beta community they encouraged outside ideas for improvement (a lot of the tweaks to the stand-alone client came from our input and suggestions). Last time I actively bothered with giving them any kind of promotion they were about to lose their entire Sega and Konami emulated catalogs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tito Smiley posted:

How about we just rename the thread to "Good Old Games - Braindead Business Decisions For Marketing Schemes? Yes, please!"

Also nthing that Metaboli buying these guys would be the worst thing. They've already cannibalized what was left of GameTap. Granted, GT sort of screwed themselves up before the buyout, who knows how. Maybe TheRedEye can give us some dirt. All I know is that when I got turned on to them, they had a great blog run by the UI designers, and that in their beta community they encouraged outside ideas for improvement (a lot of the tweaks to the stand-alone client came from our input and suggestions). Last time I actively bothered with giving them any kind of promotion they were about to lose their entire Sega and Konami emulated catalogs.

You used to run the old Gametap thread when they was still good. After I quited, I still followed the thread, but I noticed the site getting worst and worst.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AxeManiac posted:

I wonder if GOG came back and said, "well, we lost our records of what games you had" would any of you be able to list %100 the games you paid for? I don't think I could list them all.

Just a handful of them, I already owned all the games in CD/floppy form 'cause I'm not a scrub :smug:.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Robot Hobo posted:

I'm sure as hell not, I thought part of what I was paying for was the convenience to redownload games whenever I wanted.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
Honestly when I buy something from a DD service I'm not buying the game, I'm buying the ability to redownload a legal copy of it anytime at will. People put trust into GoG and they basically just said "gently caress you". Not to say I wouldn't continue buying stuff there every once in a while if they came back (and still had my games).

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Last week I had a few extra bucks kicking around and I went over to GOG and I had a hard time choosing between Master of Magic and Master of Orion 2 and said okay, I'll get MoM and play it now and wait until next week when I have a few more extra bucks kicking around for MoO2 and now it's next week and my few extra bucks are kicking around and GOG is dead and and and and well poo poo.

At least I have my invisible flying warships :unsmith:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

r2x posted:

Honestly when I buy something from a DD service I'm not buying the game, I'm buying the ability to redownload a legal copy of it anytime at will.

That's how I thought about it. I feel like a dumbass for it now.

Discount Viscount posted:

Stuart Campbell

That dude is a tremendous prick.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

r2x posted:

Honestly when I buy something from a DD service I'm not buying the game, I'm buying the ability to redownload a legal copy of it anytime at will. People put trust into GoG and they basically just said "gently caress you". Not to say I wouldn't continue buying stuff there every once in a while if they came back (and still had my games).

No, they said "Sorry, we had to take down the site due to business and tech reasons ( ie we had no say in the matter, and had to do it on the fly ), we are currently trying to figure out what the future of GoG is, and we promise you will get your games back on Thursday"

And then the internet exploded with rage over the fact they can't download their games RIGHT NOW, even though 90% of these people wouldn't have downloaded anything between today and Thursday anyway. Oh, also some random guy on a forum mentioned its probably a PR stunt, and suddenly everyone is saying its a PR stunt, SHAME ON YOU CDPROJECKT, despite the fact CDProjeckt has said nothing of the sort, and pretty much all signs point to either merge or never coming back.

Someone said people are acting like entitled little brats about this issue. I wouldn't go that far because you did buy the games, and not being able to have something you own does suck. But dear god, the amount of rage at them is getting silly. Chances are they had absolutely no choices in the matter, and just got told to shut it all down. Yelling at them is not going to fix anything, at all, and is probably just making their days alot worse, which is a dick move as they probably all just got sacked, and the next few days will be them trying to set everything up so you can get your crap back before going back to trying to find jobs. I mean, no offense, if Valve suddenly popped up and said they'd be bringing down the servers for a week, then an hour later turned everything off, would you all be this up in arms? Its basically the exact same thing here, actually, in this case if you have the installer you can still download most of your games, wheras with Steam you'd be stuck with whatever you had installed at the time.

Cue 20 people telling me I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008

Rookersh posted:

No, they said "Sorry, we had to take down the site due to business and tech reasons ( ie we had no say in the matter, and had to do it on the fly ), we are currently trying to figure out what the future of GoG is, and we promise you will get your games back on Thursday"

And then the internet exploded with rage over the fact they can't download their games RIGHT NOW, even though 90% of these people wouldn't have downloaded anything between today and Thursday anyway. Oh, also some random guy on a forum mentioned its probably a PR stunt, and suddenly everyone is saying its a PR stunt, SHAME ON YOU CDPROJECKT, despite the fact CDProjeckt has said nothing of the sort, and pretty much all signs point to either merge or never coming back.

Someone said people are acting like entitled little brats about this issue. I wouldn't go that far because you did buy the games, and not being able to have something you own does suck. But dear god, the amount of rage at them is getting silly. Chances are they had absolutely no choices in the matter, and just got told to shut it all down. Yelling at them is not going to fix anything, at all, and is probably just making their days alot worse, which is a dick move as they probably all just got sacked, and the next few days will be them trying to set everything up so you can get your crap back before going back to trying to find jobs. I mean, no offense, if Valve suddenly popped up and said they'd be bringing down the servers for a week, then an hour later turned everything off, would you all be this up in arms? Its basically the exact same thing here, actually, in this case if you have the installer you can still download most of your games, wheras with Steam you'd be stuck with whatever you had installed at the time.

Cue 20 people telling me I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
I don't give a poo poo if I can download my games over the course of the week. I guess it was naive to figure a service would be alive for a long time, especially one that seemed (from the front) to be running smooth. It teaches me to not buy from any place except steam, or real copies.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

r2x posted:

I don't give a poo poo if I can download my games over the course of the week. I guess it was naive to figure a service would be alive for a long time, especially one that seemed (from the front) to be running smooth. It teaches me to not buy from any place except steam, or real copies.

Good luck getting your "real copies" to work six years down the line like a GOG installer would, bro.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I think a primary complaint that I can totally understand is that their site should not have gone down without warning, regardless of whether it's going back up or not.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

The problem isn't that they pulled their site down.

The problem is, they've established themselves as being incredibly consumer friendly and upfront about everything before this. When the Codemasters racing games were removed, we got plenty of advance warning.

It's difficult to understand why they handled it (whatever it is) this way, and they still haven't really provided sufficient explanation so as to save face. Probably after Wednesday, I dunno.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
What if computers stopped working, like they made new ones that ran on plants or monkey brains. loving GOG, didn't think of that, did they.

I'm sure steam would work on my biometric computer pod.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Man I'm really glad I'm one of the 3 people who actually downloaded the games he payed for and am totally unaffected by this apocalyptic situation.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008

flamedrake posted:

Good luck getting your "real copies" to work six years down the line like a GOG installer would, bro.
Luckily I don't have the intelligence of a fly so generally I could probably get things working without too much effort.

r2x fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tito Smiley posted:

The problem is, they've established themselves as being incredibly consumer friendly and upfront about everything before this. When the Codemasters racing games were removed, we got plenty of advance warning.

It's difficult to understand why they handled it (whatever it is) this way, and they still haven't really provided sufficient explanation so as to save face. Probably after Wednesday, I dunno.

They'll explain it. You may not be happy with the explanation, but they will. Everyone will get access to everything they paid for, and beyond that, it will depend on the specifics. They don't really need to save face until we know exactly why they did this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Rookersh posted:

:words:

You're overlooking something.

GoG posted:

We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided

From this sentence alone it seemed like it was a long-term thing, with options available to them; not a "you have to do this now or else!" thing.

Also, it wasn't random guys on forums posting that gave rise to the possibility of a marketing stunt. It was Good Old Games spokesman Tom Ohle talking to the tech news site Kotaku.

Seriously, do some sleuthing before you start laying down walls of text.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 21, 2010

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Tito Smiley posted:

You know what's the best part about the whole Codemasters thing? As long as you had already bought them, they never actually got removed from your game shelf, even after their hosting license expired. People mostly seemed to have adopted a don't ask/don't tell stance on it. :ssh:

Of course, given the state of things now, I kind of doubt they'll show back up for download along with everything else...

At least I had enough brain cells to back those up.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Mithaldu posted:

From this sentence alone it seemed like it was a long-term thing, with options available to them; not a "you have to do this now or else!" thing.

But we don't know, there may very well be some legal or business reason for them not giving any warning, and I'm content with waiting to hear their argument as to why rather than flipping my poo poo based on assumptions.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

You know what's the best part about the whole Codemasters thing? As long as you had already bought them, they never actually got removed from your game shelf, even after their hosting license expired. People mostly seemed to have adopted a don't ask/don't tell stance on it. :ssh:

Games removed from Steam are like that as well, did they ever explicitly say they were removing them from your library as well? I would assume their contract running out just means they can no longer sell new copies.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

there may very well be some legal or business reason for them not giving any warning
Wrong. They warned investors on a public forum (in advance!) as well as talked to several blogs directly. If they can do that there was nothing to stop them from out-right saying "GoG will be back (in one form or another)." to their paying customers; instead of making it seem like the site is dead and they'll only provide some last-minute backup possibilities.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Games removed from Steam are like that as well, did they ever explicitly say they were removing them from your library as well? I would assume their contract running out just means they can no longer sell new copies.

Part of the license expiry for those two games stipulated that not only were they no longer allowed to be sold past a certain date, but about two weeks following the termination of sales, they were also to be removed from any and all digital download servers. Don't think anything quite like that has befallen a Steam release yet.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Ive got a theory.

What if they never had the license agreements to sell any of these games and were using some weird polish law to get away with it for a long time?

:tinfoil:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Part of the license expiry for those two games stipulated that not only were they no longer allowed to be sold past a certain date, but about two weeks following the termination of sales, they were also to be removed from any and all digital download servers.

Must have just been sticking it to the man, then. Those silly Poles.

Mithaldu posted:

Wrong. They warned investors on a public forum as well as talked to several blogs directly.

All they said was "don't worry" and "wait until Wednesday for more info". They never said the site was going down, that the service was returning, or anything specific ahead of time.

And they did pretty much say that GoG would be back in some capacity

quote:

...we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form...

...This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever...

And then when everyone wasn't sure of what that meant, either by the meaning being lost in translation or just because you lot are downright dumb, they clarified. That would be the "talking to several blogs directly part", which, as a reminder, happened after the fact as well and really revealed nothing new.

The proper thing to do is wait until they put up their defense. Considering no matter what they say, nothing will really change our lives, I'm willing to give them a week to get their poo poo together. If their excuse is appropriate I will be willing to forgive them. Otherwise I too will bust out my pitchfork.

I think the spelling errors on the main page now as opposed to the pristine appearance it used to boast speaks a great deal of what is probably going on in their offices at the moment.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wow, I admit i jumped to some conclusions there after gathering information and carefully thinking about everything they let people know. You however seem to like to treat the whole jumping thing as an olympic event (including time shenanigans).

Also, you need to learn to read more carefully.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 21, 2010

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Wow, I admit i jumped to some conclusions there after gathering information and carefully thinking about everything they let people know. You however seem to like to treat the whole jumping thing as an olympic event (including time shenanigans).

Also, you need to learn to read more carefully.

So wait.

You pulled that they are doing this as a PR stunt, are secretly planning to hatefully deprive you of your entertainment forever, planned this out weeks in advance, and god knows what else from the statement "We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided" yet when everyone else points out all the other stuff they've said, suddenly we are jumping to conclusions, and need to read more carefully?

Chill down, you'll get your games back on Thursday. Don't shoot the messenger before you know why he was late in the first place, or however that phrase goes. So far it looks like they have no idea whats going on themselves, and are basically trying to settle everything down, kicking them while their down won't get you your games any faster, and we will see what happened on Thursday.

If Thursday rolls around, and they pull some bullshit "IT WAS A JOKE HA HA" bullshit, then yeah, get your pitchfork. But if its not, which is looking like the safe bet right now, you'll look like an idiot who overacted in the worst way possible.

Just saying.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So wait.

You pulled that they are doing this as a PR stunt, are secretly planning to hatefully deprive you of your entertainment forever, planned this out weeks in advance, and god knows what else from the statement "We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided" yet when everyone else points out all the other stuff they've said, suddenly we are jumping to conclusions, and need to read more carefully?

Chill down, you'll get your games back on Thursday. Don't shoot the messenger before you know why he was late in the first place, or however that phrase goes. So far it looks like they have no idea whats going on themselves, and are basically trying to settle everything down, kicking them while their down won't get you your games any faster, and we will see what happened on Thursday.

If Thursday rolls around, and they pull some bullshit "IT WAS A JOKE HA HA" bullshit, then yeah, get your pitchfork. But if its not, which is looking like the safe bet right now, you'll look like an idiot who overacted in the worst way possible.

Just saying.

It's really not very professional for a business website to go down without warning and stay down for this long, so as I said I can certainly understand why people are disappointed with GOG regardless of when they may be "getting their games back".

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rookersh posted:

You pulled that :words:
No, i didn't. All i pulled out of that sentence is that it would have been WELL within their range of options to warn their userbase and inform their userbase with cold hard facts instead of the wishy-washy crap they put up. That's all i really want: Honesty. I paid them enough to expect that.

And i don't consider myself as paying for the games, i have those already and can get those anywhere anytime i want. I pay them for the service of making them available to me without me needing to fiddle with physical copies or torrents or my own backup solution. And this is the crux for me: I still do not know whether that will be gone or not.

The part where i talked about the spokesman was merely to explain to you that the "PR action" theory was not spawned by random people on random forums.

Sorry i didn't split up my post more clearly.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Rookersh posted:

Just saying.

It's not "kicking them while they're down" to say that you won't give them your business anymore.

I'm not angry or insulted, I just don't have any faith that this company will have the kind of perpetuity that I was expecting in a download service.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Xythar posted:

It's really not very professional for a business website to go down without warning and stay down for this long, so as I said I can certainly understand why people are disappointed with GOG regardless of when they may be "getting their games back".

They are shutting down. Do you think "being professional" matters at this point? Quit bitching and be patient.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

dnz posted:

They are shutting down. Do you think "being professional" matters at this point?

Yes, actually.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think GOG accidentally put a YouTube video up earlier than they should've and some guy capped it.

gnomeslair on Twitter said "There's a weird new private (!) video on the GOG.com YouTube channel. Something about 40 publishers..."

A conversation on GOGcom's YouTube profile:

GOGcom (12 minutes ago) Spam
@DooMDrat it will be visible here soon.

DooMDrat (16 minutes ago) Spam
I took a screenshot of that little hint in the video you removed, FYI.

The image he screenshotted:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blodskur posted:

The image he screenshotted:

ALL IS FORGIVEN!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Haha, like half the people who have sworn off gog will now renege on that if they seriously have got Bioware

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Whalley posted:

Haha, like half the people who have sworn off gog will now renege on that if they seriously have got Bioware

Yeah gently caress rage, when they come back I'll just be a bit more careful about keeping my installers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Blodskur posted:

Also the new price points are $2.99 and $0.99, and there's negative DRM, and the tooth fairy will now pay in GOG Points.

I want to believe. :(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't see what the big deal is about BG, though. You can get it new directly from Amazon, and as far as I know the games work fine on modern operating systems. It's good to see it being on DD, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, if they come back with this, all is forgiven.