Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

wigtrade.cc posted:

how far has science progressed in eliminating farts I would like to enjoy my breakfast cereal without worrying about how im going to handle it

I heard someone invented underwear with a charcoal filter to capture smells, but it might have been a hoax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any brick-and-mortar stores these days (US) that don't sell ridiculously overpriced HDMI cables? I thought RadioShack would, but they've given in, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Are there any brick-and-mortar stores these days (US) that don't sell ridiculously overpriced HDMI cables? I thought RadioShack would, but they've given in, too.

Fry's Electronics and Walmart seem to have some sub-$10 HDMI cables.

Schism
Jul 8, 2007

Lord of Laziness.
Could someone tell me some awesome costume ideas that are easy/cheap to make? The theme is forbidden fruit. If you can, work a giant penis into it (I am pro at making 2 foot long penises).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schism posted:

Could someone tell me some awesome costume ideas that are easy/cheap to make? The theme is forbidden fruit. If you can, work a giant penis into it (I am pro at making 2 foot long penises).

Try the giant Halloween costume megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347270

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is gift cert/buy others stuff gone from samart? If so is it coming back (when?).

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 21, 2010

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

madlilnerd posted:

I heard someone invented underwear with a charcoal filter to capture smells, but it might have been a hoax.

that was a clip on the soup from that american invention show. It dosen't provide a silencer for your butt though so its just as dumb as having a charcoal filter in your undies and what if you were a free baller :ohdear:

talkin bout farts

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

Not a hoax! under-tec.com
Although, if you're lactose intolerant to a degree (such as a lack of dairy) and milk makes you have toxic farts, I recommend drinking milk every day for 2 weeks to rebuild your tolerance. Unfortunately, everyone will have to suffer for those 2 weeks.

I was wondering, is there an "advanced" or "ultimate" edition of the board game Guess Who? I want to play a hard version of this, with like 50 cards or something.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 21, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Where can I get pumpkin ale in the UK? Two years ago there were tons of varieties in supermarkets, but since then there's been nothing, ever, anywhere that I can find.

Or is there a better thread for asking this in?

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
How do I get a program to permanently run in administrative mode on Windows 7? It never remembers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Paccione posted:

How do I get a program to permanently run in administrative mode on Windows 7? It never remembers.

Right-click on it and hit Properties. You'll find what you're looking for under the "Compatability" tab.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television

Mak0rz posted:

Right-click on it and hit Properties. You'll find what you're looking for under the "Compatability" tab.

Thank you very, very much.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
welp nvm, Answered my own question.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 21, 2010

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Bored but curious but did the old furry=ban still hold up to this day or did the conditions change? On top of that. Are there any other potentially bannable offences that are not written as rules?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SkySteak posted:

Bored but curious but did the old furry=ban still hold up to this day or did the conditions change? On top of that. Are there any other potentially bannable offences that are not written as rules?

It's the golden rule of "Don't be creepy". Furries are creepy.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
OK, thanks for clarifying.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally bought a bike from the local bike store, and the large caps at the top of the front shocks are differing colors; the one on the left is silver and flat while the one on the right is raised and black. Is this normal from the factory? The thing was supposed to be brand new.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Danger Mahoney posted:

So I finally bought a bike from the local bike store, and the large caps at the top of the front shocks are differing colors; the one on the left is silver and flat while the one on the right is raised and black. Is this normal from the factory? The thing was supposed to be brand new.

Lower range front forks on bikes usually have one adjustable shock, and one non-adjustable one, so they look different.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kapalama posted:

Lower range front forks on bikes usually have one adjustable shock, and one non-adjustable one, so they look different.

Ha, should have known, thanks. Man, I know I shouldn't get caught up in materialism but it stings to spend what feels like a lot of money on something and it's still low-end. :(

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Where did "SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT COM!" (as in yelling that) come from?

I think it was some thread where a goon wrote about his IRL interaction with real humans and he yelled that out as a final parting, sorta like a gang member would yell out "5th street crips!" after a drive-by.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Pogo the Clown posted:

Like this or this? I also found a company called Acorn that seems to specialize in stuff like that.

Found those 3, and a few more varieties, by Googling "rubber sole slipper sock" without the quotes.

You're a lot closer than the other person, but still far off.

WillieWestwood posted:

He could also mean "water socks," of which there is a great variety.

On second thought, they don't have a sweater knit on top.

She, and no, sorry, very far off.

The closest I can describe them is like this shoe but more slipper-like and made of sweater-knit.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
^^

These?

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 22, 2010

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

nm

wheres my arm fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 22, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Kobalt posted:

I was wondering, is there an "advanced" or "ultimate" edition of the board game Guess Who? I want to play a hard version of this, with like 50 cards or something.

I'll sometimes bust out a game of "Judgmental Guess-Who". It's like normal Guess-Who, except you're only allowed to ask about the personalities and life-styles of the characters. ("Does your person have more than three cats?" "No. Did your person attend University?")

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Was originally going to post this as its own thread, but changed my mind when I realized it's probably only of interest to me.

This sounds pretty weird, even to me, but it's something that I'm quite curious about at the moment. I'm about to start work at a haunted house this weekend for the second year in a row now, and as a part of my costume for this year I'm hoping to use a sheep's ribcage and somehow secure it around my own chest. The bones came from my girlfriend's family's farm where the sheep died some time around June and basically rotted and was eaten up by scavengers. They are pretty clean and I plan to further clean them up by hand, but the problem is that they seem to be sort of delicate and the haunted house will require me to be running around in a maze in the dark, which is a recipe for shattered bones if I'm not careful.

I've come across one interesting resource here, but I'm very much in the dark as to what a great deal of the content there means. For example, how do I know whether these bones are considered dry or wet? Is it regarding actual water content, or what? Does this even apply to non-fossilized bones? I really don't know, but I'm hoping that somebody can enlighten me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'll be really embarrassed if it turns out that I have no actual use for this skeleton.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Akuma posted:

Where can I get pumpkin ale in the UK? Two years ago there were tons of varieties in supermarkets, but since then there's been nothing, ever, anywhere that I can find.

Or is there a better thread for asking this in?

There's a beer megathread in GWS.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Robin Sparkles posted:

You're a lot closer than the other person, but still far off.

She, and no, sorry, very far off.

The closest I can describe them is like this shoe but more slipper-like and made of sweater-knit.

I think you mean Ugg's 'Cardy boots':

That's what they look like fully stretched out but you can fold them down to ankle height, too. There are zillions of knockoffs around as well if you don't want to pay the Ugg price.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

creepy sheep skeleton stuff

Why don't you use the bones as a mold for papier mache or plasti-dip or something? There'd be a ton of options, and you'd run less risk of them breaking.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

marshmallard posted:

I think you mean Ugg's 'Cardy boots':

That's what they look like fully stretched out but you can fold them down to ankle height, too. There are zillions of knockoffs around as well if you don't want to pay the Ugg price.

They weren't long uggs, not folded down or anything, they started at the ankle like the picture I showed. I wish it were as easy as a pair of uggs though, haha.

Alderdash posted:

^^

These?

Those are very close, but the ankle had more to it so they could stay on. Those look so comfy though!

Thanks anyway guys, maybe I'll see some more sprout up in the next few weeks and can ask about them.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

[Bizarro post about wearing sheep bones.]

I used to work in a lab breaking down human bodies for their skeletal remains, so I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

Regarding the dry versus wet issue, don't over-think it. It means exactly what it sounds like. If you feel like they are fragile to handle, then they are dry. If they sat out in the sun baking all summer, they are going to be more brittle than if they'd been dried in a controlled environment. But if you build your bone-suit correctly, then breaks and fractures could add to the charm.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from notifying me that I'm about to view a page that contains secure and unsecure items? I'm on a work computer that can only connect to one website where we check our corporate email. It gets old having to agree to display secure and unsecure items every single time I want to check my email.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eyeball posted:

Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from notifying me that I'm about to view a page that contains secure and unsecure items? I'm on a work computer that can only connect to one website where we check our corporate email. It gets old having to agree to display secure and unsecure items every single time I want to check my email.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Click on Tools

3) Click on Internet Options

4) Click on the Security Tab

5) Click on the Custom Level button

6) Under the Miscellaneous section look for "Display Mixed Content"

7) Click on Disable for Display Mixed Content instead of Prompt

8) Click on OK twice

9) Close Internet Explorer and reopen

10) Open the webpage that was displaying the warning message, the message should not appear now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eyeball posted:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=408

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Has anyone else noticed youtube changing your settings back to show annotations again and again? I have, many times, turned off the 'show annotations' setting in my preferences yet it keeps getting turned back on after a while.

Also, is there a way to always make it use the larger player? That's another setting it seems to remember for a few days then magically forget.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there still an alcoholic beverages thread, like where people talk about Whisky, Wine, etc?

Edit: V V V thanks! I searched for "alcohol" :downs:

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 22, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

FLX posted:

Is there still an alcoholic beverages thread, like where people talk about Whisky, Wine, etc?

There are several, have a look in GWS - they should be in the first couple of pages I reckon.

Edit: All 3 on the first page right now.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Anjow posted:

Has anyone else noticed youtube changing your settings back to show annotations again and again? I have, many times, turned off the 'show annotations' setting in my preferences yet it keeps getting turned back on after a while.

Also, is there a way to always make it use the larger player? That's another setting it seems to remember for a few days then magically forget.

If you ever figure this out, I would love to know the answer too, but...

(My impression, likely mistaken, is that they are working on the site so much that they themselves are breaking things. Example: they broke Flash a while back, and fixed it for the popular browsers quickly, but took a week and a half to fix it for Opera, which made it obvious that they are pretty constantly working on the code.

Google is remarkably bad at openness in their dealings, and never acknowledged that they broke Flash, or that they fixed it.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

Yes, that is infuriating to me as well. It also refuses to leave me logged in no matter how many times I say to do it. I asked about this myself a while back and got no good answer, so if you find a way please post it.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, guys. That totally worked. Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to not care that the name of a security certificate doesn't match the name of the site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eyeball posted:

Thanks, guys. That totally worked. Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to not care that the name of a security certificate doesn't match the name of the site?

On the advanced tab in the same dialog there is options for that towards the bottom:

"warn about certificate address mismatch"

Of course be careful, you're less secure... blah blah.