Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ymgve posted:

I don't see what the big deal is about BG, though. You can get it new directly from Amazon, and as far as I know the games work fine on modern operating systems. It's good to see it being on DD, of course.

I'll pay for never having to deal with the hassle of fiddling with CD/DVDs. That's the main utility that DD gives and I never want to go back to the days of physical media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, if they come back with this, all is forgiven.

I, too, believe in the content of every possibly-photoshopped image posted by some random scrub on the Internet.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Holy poo poo. I already have all these games anyway, but installing 5 CD games isn't fun. If this is real, and not some elaborate troll, it could open the floodgates...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I, too, believe in the content of every possibly-photoshopped image posted by some random scrub on the Internet.

Hey, as long as everyone in the thread is grasping at straws you might as well choose the best-looking straw.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I too, refuse to actually read posts, or the sites they refer to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As I said, they'll release Planescape and everyone will be back to blowing them. As it should be.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If they've got Bioware games doesn't that mean that they've struck some kind of deal with EA? Hello Syndicate Wars.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

If they've got Bioware games doesn't that mean that they've struck some kind of deal with EA? Hello Syndicate Wars.

Nope, Atari owns the license to Baulder's Gate and GOG.com does sell Bioware titles, such as MDK 2, already.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Well, the video is up on youtube. Still kind of vague...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ohvee posted:

And yes, that frame posted above is there.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
They're probably taking this time to remove the word "beta" from their logo.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

But I just found out about this! I was going to buy Painkiller and...:smith:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I like how they took the time to make a video and still didn't bother to spell out what's happening.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I would have to say that the video is pretty much confirmation that this has been a marketing stunt, or at the very least the worst coming out of beta notification ever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All seems too intentionally vague. The updates, now this mysterious video.

I am back too believing this is an elaborate troll, a prank, a risky marketing scheme. When they open again, everyone will be angry. Then they will show us what the gently caress this was all about, and then we will love then more than ever.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Danger Kick posted:

They're probably taking this time to remove the word "beta" from their logo.

Whao, this might actually be it guys! :monocle:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
EDIT: Dammit you guys beat me to it

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Ohvee posted:

Man, I can't tell if this is supposed to be a 'Goodbye' kind of thing or a 'Welcome back' kind of thing. :(

edit:

Well, I guess I can hope for it being a 'Welcome back' kind of thing.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE 21.09.2010
We confirm that the official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events will take place on Wednesday at 12 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CET)

Thanks for being with us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

BigJoe posted:

Man, I can't tell if this is supposed to be a 'Goodbye' kind of thing or a 'Welcome back' kind of thing. :(
Yeah, this. I can't tell for the life of me if this is a goodbye or a "here's what's to come".

BigJoe posted:

Well, I guess I can hope for it being a 'Welcome back' kind of thing.
Mind elaborating as to why?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, this. I can't tell for the life of me if this is a goodbye or a "here's what's to come".

There's no way they would say "Goodbye, thanks for supporting us." and then flash Baldurs Gate for a microsecond. Not to mention the other flashes of site features which we haven't seen yet.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Mithaldu posted:

There are a bunch of things in that video that were never features on the site. "GOGmix" wtf

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oh, thanks. :)

My interaction with the site was limited to buying whatever new release i liked from the rss stream, and downloading. So i never noticed these things.

Makes me wonder if they managed to implement my pet peeve:

The ability to put games on a block list so they don't show up anywhere in the interface as long as i'm logged in. Would make filtering their catalogue for stuff i have already, or dislike, much easier.

Gerry Saddams
Jul 17, 2009

لدينا اليوم سيأتي
It looks like Atari bought them out, since they have Baldurs Gate and I noticed Master of Orion 3 in the background as-well. (and yes I'm sure it was 3, not 1 or 2.)

MOO3: a true classic!

I just hope that its a sign that Atari has signed over most of their back catalogue to gog, because Atari are loving terrible, Valve buyout/partnership or a relaunch is what I'm hoping for.

Nagual
Dec 16, 2003
Barum?-Dorum!

Gerry Saddams posted:

It looks like Atari bought them out, since they have Baldurs Gate and I noticed Master of Orion 3 in the background as-well. (and yes I'm sure it was 3, not 1 or 2.)

I just hope that its a sign that Atari has signed over most of their back catalogue to gog, because Atari are loving terrible, Valve buyout/partnership or a relaunch is what I'm hoping for.

Last thing anyone should want is a Valve buyout. Steam is extremely dominant in online distribution already, it needs competition or it'll turn poo poo.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ymgve posted:

I don't see what the big deal is about BG, though. You can get it new directly from Amazon, and as far as I know the games work fine on modern operating systems. It's good to see it being on DD, of course.

I checked on Amazon.ca and it's not in stock sadly. I hate Amazon because you have it so much easier with Amazon.com!

I'm also surprised it was listed at all, lots of stuff not listed on Amazon.ca.

Gerry Saddams
Jul 17, 2009

لدينا اليوم سيأتي

Nagual posted:

Last thing anyone should want is a Valve buyout. Steam is extremely dominant in online distribution already, it needs competition or it'll turn poo poo.

I'm not a big fan of Steam and its retarded european prices, but if its Steam, or no more gog, I prefer Steam.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gerry Saddams posted:

You're referring to this one? It's just showing the new "games series" feature.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Gerry Saddams posted:

I think they already have MoO3 on there, so that wouldn't really be anything new.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Gerry Saddams posted:

While Baldur's Gate would be new (and doesn't Interplay still own publishing rights to the original titles?), MOO3 had already been on the service for a few months now before they took the site down, so I don't see why that indicates an Atari buyout.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ymgve posted:

Well, not everyone is american, you know.

Gerry Saddams
Jul 17, 2009

لدينا اليوم سيأتي

BigJoe posted:

I think they already have MoO3 on there, so that wouldn't really be anything new.

macnbc posted:

While Baldur's Gate would be new (and doesn't Interplay still own publishing rights to the original titles?), MOO3 had already been on the service for a few months now before they took the site down, so I don't see why that indicates an Atari buyout.

Ah fair enough so, I didn't notice it there.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens on wednesday, this whole thing is a mess.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Which is funny, because that's just an import of the British compilation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blodskur posted:

Which is funny, because that's just an import of the British boxset: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baldurs-Gate-4-Compilation-DVD/dp/B002TOKQH2/

In any case, amazon does not ships games worldwide. And we dont have an "amazon.br" to buy from.

EDIT: To the poster bellow: the world is a bigger place than USA and Europe

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baldurs-Gate-4-Compilation-DVD/dp/B002TOKQH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285079347&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.fr/Mindscape-Baldurs-gate-compilation/dp/B001SL7IY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285079360&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.de/Baldurs-Gate-Compilation-englische-Version/dp/B002TOKQH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285079372&sr=8-1

It exists on basically every version of amazon, and it's also easily available in most large game retailers. How do Brazilians usually buy their video games?

Nagual
Dec 16, 2003
Barum?-Dorum!

Gerry Saddams posted:

I'm not a big fan of Steam and its retarded european prices, but if its Steam, or no more gog, I prefer Steam.

Incidentally, the European prices (and Steam prices in general) are entirely publisher set, it's not like Valve decides at what price to sell a game (apart from their own ones of course).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gerry Saddams posted:

They had MoO3 for sale. It didn't cause much of an impact.

e:f;b

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

drat Poles, stop being so vague! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme

Zat posted:

drat Poles, stop being so vague! :argh:

Yeah, I can honestly say I have no clue what the hell is going on.