Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldTravelerX
Jul 15, 2007
I've got a quote/scene that I'm trying to track down.
From a movie that I've never seen.
I once heard Roget Ebert describe the scene, but I've not been able to get enough key words to find it on Google.

My recollection of what I think I heard Ebert say:
There is a scene on a train.
There are two people, male and female.
And Ebert says that the guy has maybe the best pick up line ever.
Something like:
"You know, we just met on a train. We don't know each other all all.
You could ignore me. And your life would go on unchanged.
Now maybe I'm not your usual type. But since you aren't doing anything right now, what harm would it do to have a drink and talk with me on the train?
Maybe you'll like me."

Or something like that --- the concepts being we've just met, you aren't doing anything else, and maybe I'll change your life.

I think I remember this from my high-school/college days. Back when I needed good pick up lines. So maybe it is an 80s movie?

I'd like any leads, so I don't have to wonder about this for another 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pud
Jul 9, 2001

WorldTravelerX posted:

I've got a quote/scene that I'm trying to track down.
From a movie that I've never seen.
I once heard Roget Ebert describe the scene, but I've not been able to get enough key words to find it on Google.

My recollection of what I think I heard Ebert say:
There is a scene on a train.
There are two people, male and female.
And Ebert says that the guy has maybe the best pick up line ever.
Something like:
"You know, we just met on a train. We don't know each other all all.
You could ignore me. And your life would go on unchanged.
Now maybe I'm not your usual type. But since you aren't doing anything right now, what harm would it do to have a drink and talk with me on the train?
Maybe you'll like me."

Or something like that --- the concepts being we've just met, you aren't doing anything else, and maybe I'll change your life.

I think I remember this from my high-school/college days. Back when I needed good pick up lines. So maybe it is an 80s movie?

I'd like any leads, so I don't have to wonder about this for another 30 years.

It's been a million years since I've seen it, but this might be Before Sunrise.

WorldTravelerX
Jul 15, 2007
Great! Thanks!

And searching Ebert and Before Sunrise I get this:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=129161766

It also is, without question, one of the greatest pick-up scenes in the history of American film. It also is utilitarian. I am giving you a scene tonight. If you're in the sound of my voice or this afternoon, whenever this plays you will be able to use this. You will meet men and women using this line.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. SISKEL: Nothing else that will transpire in this interview will be as valuable as what you're about to hear.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. SISKEL: Here we go, from Richard Linklater's "Before Sunrise."

(Soundbite of film, "Before Sunrise")

Mr. ETHAN HAWKE (Actor): (as Jesse) All right, I have an admittedly insane idea. But I don't ask you this, it's just, you know, it's going to haunt me the rest of my life.

Ms. JULIE DELPY (Actor): (as Celine) What?

Mr. HAWKE: (as Jesse) I want to keep talking to you, you know. I have no idea what your situation is, but I feel like we have some kind of connection, right?

Ms. DELPY: (as Celine) Yeah, me too.

Mr. HAWKE: (as Jesse) Yeah, right. Well, great. So, listen, here's the deal. This is what we should do. You should get off the train with me here in Vienna, and come check out the town.

Ms. DELPY: (as Celine) What?

Mr. HAWKE: (as Jesse) Come on, it'll be fun. Come on.

Ms. DELPY: (as Celine) What would we do?

Mr. HAWKE: (as Jesse) I don't know. All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30, and I don't really have enough money for a hotel. So I was just going to walk around. And it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.

All right, all right, think of it like this. Jump ahead 10, 20 years, okay? And you're married. Only your marriage doesn't have that same energy that it used to have. You know, you start to blame your husband. You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life and what might have happened if you picked up with one of them, right? Well, I'm one of those guys. That's me.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. HAWKE: (as Jesse) So think of this as time travel from then to now to find out what you're missing out on. See, what this really could be is a gigantic favor to both you and your future husband to find out that you're not missing out on anything. I'm just as big a loser as he is, totally unmotivated, totally boring, and you made the right choice, and you're really happy.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Ms. DELPY: (as Celine) Let me get my bag.

(Soundbite of applause)

Mr. EBERT: That's what Mr. Bernstein should have said to that lady with the white parasol.

Mr. SISKEL: Isn't that fabulous? I mean, it'll work, I guarantee you. This should be shown in every sales seminar in the world.

GROSS: Okay, but here's the thing. You were offering this scene somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Mr. SISKEL: I'm not offering it tongue-in-cheek at all.

GROSS: But have you...

Mr. SISKEL: I love the movie. That's fully scripted. It's beautifully done. I mean, obviously the gestures that he's making that you listeners couldn't hear were wonderful acting choices. You know, he's doing with two thumbs up, oddly enough, or sideways.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Um hello, I've got these two movies that I've been trying to remember the names of, but I just can't.

The first is an early 1980s movie probably. I remember just the starting scene, because that's as far as I got before making GBS threads my pants and trying to go to sleep. This schoolbus full of kids rolls under a bridge and out of loving nowhere a dead, skinned bloody body hanging from a rope jumps in front of it scaring the poo poo out of both the kids and me. Now that I'm a grown man I'd like to see what it's really about.

The second movie is probably from the 1960s or the 1970s, very possibly australian (or british). It takes place in Australia, where this little boy (or was it a girl) somehow gets lost in the bush and falls asleep under a tree or something. He wakes up and meets with an aboriginal kid (or was it a man) who leads him somewhere for a while, and eventually he gets back to a small town of shacks and green lawns with sprinklers and the movie ends. Somebody told me it might be Rabbit Proof Fence but that movie's from 2002 so I have to exclude it.

Thanks in advance.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

necroid posted:

The second movie is probably from the 1960s or the 1970s, very possibly australian (or british). It takes place in Australia, where this little boy (or was it a girl) somehow gets lost in the bush and falls asleep under a tree or something. He wakes up and meets with an aboriginal kid (or was it a man) who leads him somewhere for a while, and eventually he gets back to a small town of shacks and green lawns with sprinklers and the movie ends. Somebody told me it might be Rabbit Proof Fence but that movie's from 2002 so I have to exclude it.

Walkabout

necroid
May 14, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Walkabout

Hey thanks that was quick!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Movie about a young guy who gets into boxing with a total dick of a boss. I remember him getting threatened at knifepoint by someone around the middle of the movie, and it ends with him beating his dick of a boss in a boxing match to get out of his contract, using all the tricks his boss taught him like using his forehead to defend against a hit.

Slightly too few details to google, hopefully enough that someone will know what it is. :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nastyman posted:

Movie about a young guy who gets into boxing with a total dick of a boss. I remember him getting threatened at knifepoint by someone around the middle of the movie, and it ends with him beating his dick of a boss in a boxing match to get out of his contract, using all the tricks his boss taught him like using his forehead to defend against a hit.

Slightly too few details to google, hopefully enough that someone will know what it is. :(

Gladiator with Brian Dennehy as the dick boss

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

oldpainless posted:

Gladiator with Brian Dennehy as the dick boss

Thanks!

necroid
May 14, 2009

necroid posted:

The first is an early 1980s movie probably. I remember just the starting scene, because that's as far as I got before making GBS threads my pants and trying to go to sleep. This schoolbus full of kids rolls under a bridge and out of loving nowhere a dead, skinned bloody body hanging from a rope jumps in front of it scaring the poo poo out of both the kids and me. Now that I'm a grown man I'd like to see what it's really about.

Does anybody have a clue about this? I remember vaguely the title being localised as something close to moments of fear, but after checking imdb I'm not sure anymore...

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

necroid posted:

Does anybody have a clue about this? I remember vaguely the title being localised as something close to moments of fear, but after checking imdb I'm not sure anymore...

I know I'm way off in the timeframe but that sounds like a scene in Jeepers Creepers 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4TNzuqSbo

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I caught part of a movie on tv the other night. It had John Cusack in it. He was on a plane with his wife and he was subtly hinting that she was cheating on him. Then she got angry and said something like "Look me in the eyes and tell me you never cheated on me." and he said nothing.

I only caught this little snip of the movie, it seemed like a decent movie but I don't like watching things part way through. What is it and is it worth watching?

necroid
May 14, 2009

Fistboy posted:

I know I'm way off in the timeframe but that sounds like a scene in Jeepers Creepers 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4TNzuqSbo

Thanks for helping but it's not that. Oh poo poo I just thought that maybe it was a boat and not a bus going under the bridge, like a school trip on a river (in a city), gotta check!

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

JustinMorgan posted:

I caught part of a movie on tv the other night. It had John Cusack in it. He was on a plane with his wife and he was subtly hinting that she was cheating on him. Then she got angry and said something like "Look me in the eyes and tell me you never cheated on me." and he said nothing.

I only caught this little snip of the movie, it seemed like a decent movie but I don't like watching things part way through. What is it and is it worth watching?

Pushing Tin

It's an okay comedy, mostly notable that it's probably the last movie that Angelina Jolie did before she became a megastar.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for two arty farty movies and one horror movie.

-Arty farty. Lonely tiny town, just a cafe really, in the middle of nowhere. There is some kind of a love story, a neon sign, and something to do with a boomerang probably as a symbolic close to the movie (I believe it belonged to one of the characters). I think the story involves someone coming in from the outside and the local girl falling in love with him and then leaving with him. I remember it mostly because it's odd and slow paced and the cinematography is leaned on pretty heavily. I think it won some award. I thought the movie Paris, Texas was going to be it when I was searching for something related but maybe it's not so perhaps the movie is just named after the town? There is a cafe that plays a large role as a set in the movie so maybe it's Blahblahblah Cafe or something? Also I'm pretty sure the girl is a black girl, but could be wrong. There is also an old man and I believe a fat lady. Every character in the movie is exceedingly eccentric.

-Arty farty / emo. Second one I have more to go on. It's a crime spree kind of movie where two boys and a girl (whom they both want to gently caress) go running around, probably robbing places, I think at one point they rob a pharmacy for pills. The number 666 keeps coming up (like when one character buys some poo poo at a store the total is 6.66 etc., the number comes up whenever numbers are involved but is not really tied in to the plot, it's just a scholocky thematic element). There is one scene where the cool guy is loving the girl and the dork guy is watching through a cracked open door (keyhole?) and decides to jerk off then he gets come on his hand and then walks in eating the loving cum off of his hand (barf).

-Horror movie?. This one is really hard for me because I'm sure I saw it at one point. At various times I've been sure it was one of the stories in one of the Creepshow movies (it isn't, I've recently re watched those) or just my imagination playing tricks on me regarding the pie eating contest scene from Stand By Me. The plot of the movie is very similar to the pie eating contest -- a fat kid gets his revenge on a large group of people through some complicated plot. It was probably released in the 2000s and I believe he has an evil mentor or perhaps just helper, and that either the mentor lives in a dusty shack full of garden tools or the kid at some point goes into such a shack to gather implements or maybe cry about being fat or something.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Sheep-Goats posted:

-Arty farty. Lonely tiny town, just a cafe really, in the middle of nowhere. There is some kind of a love story, a neon sign, and something to do with a boomerang probably as a symbolic close to the movie (I believe it belonged to one of the characters). I think the story involves someone coming in from the outside and the local girl falling in love with him and then leaving with him. I remember it mostly because it's odd and slow paced and the cinematography is leaned on pretty heavily. I think it won some award. I thought the movie Paris, Texas was going to be it when I was searching for something related but maybe it's not so perhaps the movie is just named after the town? There is a cafe that plays a large role as a set in the movie so maybe it's Blahblahblah Cafe or something? Also I'm pretty sure the girl is a black girl, but could be wrong. There is also an old man and I believe a fat lady. Every character in the movie is exceedingly eccentric.

I want to say this is a misremembering of Delicatessen but even though a lot of it fits you would probably have remembered it being in French. Could be Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle-Stop Cafe, maybe?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Sheep-Goats posted:

-Arty farty / emo. Second one I have more to go on. It's a crime spree kind of movie where two boys and a girl (whom they both want to gently caress) go running around, probably robbing places, I think at one point they rob a pharmacy for pills. The number 666 keeps coming up (like when one character buys some poo poo at a store the total is 6.66 etc., the number comes up whenever numbers are involved but is not really tied in to the plot, it's just a scholocky thematic element). There is one scene where the cool guy is loving the girl and the dork guy is watching through a cracked open door (keyhole?) and decides to jerk off then he gets come on his hand and then walks in eating the loving cum off of his hand (barf).

Pretty sure this is The Doom Generation, and if so do yourself a favor and never watch it again.

Tommy Callahan
Sep 17, 2008

OH MY GOD! WE'RE BURNING ALIVE!

Sheep-Goats posted:

The Doom Generation

That movie is really hosed up. Not even arty, just..hosed.

Edit: ^^^:argh:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bagdad Café?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Baghdad Cafe and Doom Generation are both right, thanks folks.

Any help on the whole fat / outcast kid getting revenge horror movie? It was kinda campy (nowhere near Troma campy but still) / light horror.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 21, 2010

libberlibber
Apr 14, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok I have been trying to remember this movie for the last decade..

- animated fantasy movie. There was a giant or possibly cyclops who took the good guys (a group of them I think) from an inn at night and stuffed them into a bag. He may have punched a wall and grabbed them. I also believe there were dragons but could be wrong. I dont remember the plot, I just remember in, possibly-flawed retrospect, it was semi hobbit-like. I think there was a princess? I also remember a lot of evil glowing red eyes.

I was born in 1985 and I think I watched it when I was between 6 and 10. It scared the poo poo out of me and I had nightmares for months. Got in on VHS from a video rental store

I wish I could give more details.

movie is flight of the dragons - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKJl9oZVB0

libberlibber fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 22, 2010

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

libberlibber posted:

- animated fantasy movie. There was a giant or possibly cyclops who took the good guys (a group of them I think) from an inn at night and stuffed them into a bag. He may have punched a wall and grabbed them. I also believe there were dragons but could be wrong. I dont remember the plot, I just remember in, possibly-flawed retrospect, it was semi hobbit-like. I think there was a princess? I also remember a lot of evil glowing red eyes.

I was born in 1985 and I think I watched it when I was between 6 and 10. It scared the poo poo out of me and I had nightmares for months. Got in on VHS from a video rental store

This sounds a lot like the Big Friendly Giant, except they're in an orphanage, and I think they maybe only took the one girl. I was born in 1985 as well, which is why I think this may be it, but I'm probably wrong :)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
They made a BFG movie? You learn something every day.

On topic: I'm looking for an indie zombie/horror flick from the past 2 or 3 years. Judging from the trailer, the film focuses on the protagonists trapped in a radio station as the world goes to mayhem outside. For some reason I thought it was the remake of The Crazies, but my weekend viewing of that film proved me wrong. So what's the one I'm thinking of?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Pontypool

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks! Netflix doesn't have it yet. :(

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The first half is great and they drop the ball pretty bad in the second half, but it's actually the only movie to ever give me a nightmare.

libberlibber
Apr 14, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elbow posted:

This sounds a lot like the Big Friendly Giant, except they're in an orphanage, and I think they maybe only took the one girl. I was born in 1985 as well, which is why I think this may be it, but I'm probably wrong :)

Sadly that isn't it. I did watch and really enjoy the BFG movie though. The only other hint I have for the movie im thinking of is that it seemed dark, not in narrative but actually dark. lots of dark colors and things happening at night.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

libberlibber posted:

Sure you're not thinking of Lord of the Rings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGs39MiEHM

libberlibber
Apr 14, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sizzlechest posted:

Sure you're not thinking of Lord of the Rings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGs39MiEHM

I am sure its not lotr, I saw those animated ones as well and loved them. I wish I could think of more details :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

libberlibber posted:

Its a long shot, but Flight of Dragons? It has dragons, glowing eyes, and although I dont remember cyclops being in it I think there is a scene with people being snatched from an inn.

DRLLRKLLR
Sep 22, 2010
I think Flight of Dragons is a good suggestion. It sounds like libberlibber is describing this section in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cma45JBbAZc&feature=related
There are glowing red eyes, people get snatched from an Inn, and although the ogre has three eyes (with one poked out) he looks a bit like a cyclops.
It seems like the whole thing is up on youtube, I remember quite liking when I was younger James Earl Jones plays the evil red wizard, Omadon, and Don Mclean sings the theme tune.

(edited for grammar)

DRLLRKLLR fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 22, 2010

libberlibber
Apr 14, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh my god that is the movie. Thank you so much! I have been, no hyperbole, trying to figure out what movie it was for the last 11 years. Thanks!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
So, I remember a movie from when I was a kid and I remember seeing this movie on public access. All I remember are the following:
  • It was a british movie
  • It seemed to be a bit on the surrealist side
  • People kept slowly turning into furniture and, in one case, a house
  • In one scene, a man comes and delivers a death certificate to one of the female characters that was meant for her husband. To keep him from finding out that he was dead, she put the certificate in her breast pocket, which was actually a drawer
  • The final scene involved all the people having turned fully into furniture inside a man who turned into a house. The man told them to stop bickering and that they had to listen to him because he was God.

I'm certain that this was an actual movie and not a fever dream.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Unexpected EOF posted:

So, I remember a movie from when I was a kid and I remember seeing this movie on public access. All I remember are the following:
  • It was a british movie
  • It seemed to be a bit on the surrealist side
  • People kept slowly turning into furniture and, in one case, a house
  • In one scene, a man comes and delivers a death certificate to one of the female characters that was meant for her husband. To keep him from finding out that he was dead, she put the certificate in her breast pocket, which was actually a drawer
  • The final scene involved all the people having turned fully into furniture inside a man who turned into a house. The man told them to stop bickering and that they had to listen to him because he was God.

I'm certain that this was an actual movie and not a fever dream.

The Bed-Sitting Room. Never seen it, but it's based on a Spike Milligan play which probably explains the surreality.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Oh my god, it actually exists.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
First one I only remember a very small part, where some gangsters are meeting up under a bridge or something like that, maybe in the L.A. River. The head guy sees some lone dude spray painting over the gang's tag, yells at him, the guy tries to run, but the leader shoots him. The scene ends when the gang (I seem to recall there wasn't a lot of guys in the gang, like three or four), walks by the still-living victim and the head guy shoots him a few more times as they go by him. I think I saw this probably in the mid-90s.

Second one is one I haven't actually seen, but I had it described to me. I'm not sure I am remembering it correctly, but basically these two guys that live together wake up one day to find the world has disappeared, and by that everything is gone and they are left in a big white void. That's about all I can recall.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Detective Thompson posted:

First one I only remember a very small part, where some gangsters are meeting up under a bridge or something like that, maybe in the L.A. River. The head guy sees some lone dude spray painting over the gang's tag, yells at him, the guy tries to run, but the leader shoots him. The scene ends when the gang (I seem to recall there wasn't a lot of guys in the gang, like three or four), walks by the still-living victim and the head guy shoots him a few more times as they go by him. I think I saw this probably in the mid-90s.

Second one is one I haven't actually seen, but I had it described to me. I'm not sure I am remembering it correctly, but basically these two guys that live together wake up one day to find the world has disappeared, and by that everything is gone and they are left in a big white void. That's about all I can recall.

The latter movie is called "Nothing", the end of which still freaks me out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Unexpected EOF posted:

The latter movie is called "Nothing", the end of which still freaks me out.

I saw this movie and barely remember anything about it. How did it end?

VelvetEvoker
Jan 13, 2008

Migi!
Okay, this'll be a stretch because I'm not even sure if it was a movie or a scene from a TV show, because I only saw the one scene. This came on TV when I was about 4 or 5 (that would be mid-nineties) and this scene freaked me out so much I ran out of the room.

There was a guy, presumably a criminal of some sort, who was executed by being dropped into a large pool, which immediately froze solid. There were two people watching (one man, one woman if I remember correctly), and it showed the guy being dropped into the pool and trying to swim out but not quite making it, freezing with his arm outstretched and a look of terror on his face.

Again, I know it'll be a stretch that anyone would know this, but for some reason that one scene has stuck with me all these years and I really want to know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

VelvetEvoker posted:

There was a guy, presumably a criminal of some sort, who was executed by being dropped into a large pool, which immediately froze solid. There were two people watching (one man, one woman if I remember correctly), and it showed the guy being dropped into the pool and trying to swim out but not quite making it, freezing with his arm outstretched and a look of terror on his face.

Could you have misinterpreted and misremembered the cryo scene at the beginning of Demolition Man?

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdA7TRAZWU#t=9m0s