Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ansob. posted:

It exists on basically every version of amazon, and it's also easily available in most large game retailers. How do Brazilians usually buy their video games?

In small stores and supermarkets, the selection is very limited and the prices are high.

Thats why digital distribution is a bless for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Magellanicice9 posted:

Yeah, I can honestly say I have no clue what the hell is going on.
Obviously "Here's what new features we had in store and also Baldur's Gate, but you'll never get them now. Nyah."

Gerry Saddams
Jul 17, 2009

لدينا اليوم سيأتي

Nagual posted:

Incidentally, the European prices (and Steam prices in general) are entirely publisher set, it's not like Valve decides at what price to sell a game (apart from their own ones of course).

Yeah I know, and I'm concerned that it could lead to the publishers demanding more money from Europeans for the gog range if they merge.

However I would still like the option of picking up really old games, modified so that they work on modern systems over nothing at all, thats all I'm saying, you're the one that thinks steam controlling gog would be a bad thing, I was just pointing out that I have some reservations as-well.

It's all bullshit at the moment anyway, since we have no idea what the hell is happening.

I think gog has been bought out by Richard Garriot, and soon the only game you'll be able to buy is a remake of Tabula Rasa made in flash, end game content is boarding a shuttle and flying up into space in an attempt save the container with Gene Roddenberry's ashes from burning up in the atmosphere, but Beware the EA monster and his sidekick NCsoft, he'll gobble you up and drain your idea's!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zat posted:

drat Poles, stop being so vague! :argh:

Refusing to let hitler re-download his games is how World War 2 started.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

dflanny posted:

Holy poo poo. I already have all these games anyway, but installing 5 CD games isn't fun. If this is real, and not some elaborate troll, it could open the floodgates...
Make a DVD from the main game and expansion CD's and put the original BG CD's back in The Ark.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Does anybody happen to know how many publishers they had before they went down?

Edit: You know, that video kind of calmed my fears. I think everything is going to be ok, and I'm already starting to think this is going to be remembered as pretty funny.

Farquar fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2010

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Farquar posted:

Edit: You know, that video kind of calmed my fears. I think everything is going to be ok, and I'm already starting to think this is going to be remembered as pretty funny.

It's been a fun ride. I think I've spent more time in this thread than I have playing my 30 games on their site (:smithicide:)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It's been a fun ride. I think I've spent more time in this thread than I have playing my 30 games on their site (:smithicide:)

Truth. Also made me all excited to buy more games I will possibly never play. Oh well.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
And so the Five Stages have come to terminus and we have beautiful Acceptance.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Overwined posted:

GoG be praised!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Seems pretty obvious they're going to rename their service under some new ownership. Hope it isn't activision, but whatever gets me some Baldur's Gate vOv

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm pretty sure this means they will relaunch potentially under a new banner. However, based what their twitter/their current page I can guess there will be changes. My guess if they had a huge list of games that would only release with DRM, and they finally decided to pull the trigger and go that way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lockback posted:

I'm pretty sure this means they will relaunch potentially under a new banner. However, based what their twitter/their current page I can guess there will be changes. My guess if they had a huge list of games that would only release with DRM, and they finally decided to pull the trigger and go that way.

If they're introducing something called "GOGMixes," then maybe they're keeping the name.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nagual posted:

Incidentally, the European prices (and Steam prices in general) are entirely publisher set, it's not like Valve decides at what price to sell a game (apart from their own ones of course).

They own the loving store. Of course Valve has control over the prices.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

No, they don't. Valve can only price games that THEY publish. It's why Activisions stuff is about twice the US price in Europe - they jack up EU prices simply because they can.

Goon-published RPG/shop-sim Recettear, on the other hand, has perfectly calculated international prices, because the guys publishing it went and spent the ten minutes to do the math so they wouldn't screw over global audiences.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Well yes, we know they negotiate the prices with the publisher, but obviously Valve has final say. I remember them rejecting Bionic Commando Rearmed because Capcom wanted to charge more (I think $5) for the PC version than was being charged on consoles. Eventually it did come out, but it's at the $10 price now.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

This isn't a brick and mortar store where Valve buys x copies of a game and then resells them at a higher price. Think of Steam more like eBay, except the auctioneers are the publishers and everything is Buy It Now. Valve gets a cut for each transaction but ultimately the publishers decide what goes on Steam (so long as it meets their quality standards, which games like Fort Zombie did not) and at what price it is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

This isn't a brick and mortar store where Valve buys x copies of a game and then resells them at a higher price. Think of Steam more like eBay, except the auctioneers are the publishers and everything is Buy It Now. Valve gets a cut for each transaction but ultimately the publishers decide what goes on Steam (so long as it meets their quality standards, which games like Fort Zombie did not) and at what price it is.

That doesn't seem completely feasible to me, because that would mean anytime that Steam had a big sale (like Christmas, or the Summer one), that they'd have to get price approval for every single game from every single publisher involved in the sale, which strikes me as a HUGE PITA, so I would imagine that Valve has somewhere buried in the contract that they can adjust the price.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Funny thing. They actually do have to get approval.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

quakster posted:

Funny thing. They actually do have to get approval.

loving hell. I'm glad its their business and not mine then. I don't know how any sane person would want to go through THAT minefield.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

macnbc posted:

That doesn't seem completely feasible to me, because that would mean anytime that Steam had a big sale (like Christmas, or the Summer one), that they'd have to get price approval for every single game from every single publisher involved in the sale, which strikes me as a HUGE PITA, so I would imagine that Valve has somewhere buried in the contract that they can adjust the price.

And/or a lot of pretty graphs showing how sales are boosted by deep short-term discounts.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

It's probably just showing what could have been, then saying goodbye. I don't really get how you guys seem to think it's coming back but hey, if it does I can re-download simon the sorcerer :downs:

I liked the service but considering the site just shut down then posted a video that pretty much says "thanks for using us bye" well :|

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thievery posted:

It's probably just showing what could have been, then saying goodbye. I don't really get how you guys seem to think it's coming back but hey, if it does I can re-download simon the sorcerer :downs:

I liked the service but considering the site just shut down then posted a video that pretty much says "thanks for using us bye" well :|
No way. No way would they show Baldur's Gate and a feature called GOGMixes if they weren't coming back.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since this whole kerfuffle started, it's become painfully obvious that people really don't appreciate all the cryptic bullshit.

And then they release that video. :psyduck:

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
According to Aaron Connor, one of the creators of the Tex Murphy games:
According to my sources, this is a temporary shut-down that has been scheduled for some time. I'm not privy to what will be changed, but I think GOG will be back better than ever in a few days.

AC

That's from the Unofficial Tex Murphy message boards, on which Aaron's posted for years.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

macnbc posted:

loving hell. I'm glad its their business and not mine then. I don't know how any sane person would want to go through THAT minefield.

Steam sales are actually famous for bringing in massive piles of money. Developers specifically add Steam achievements to games so that they can get on the shortlist for a weekend or other major sale event.

In a lot of cases, developers ask Valve if they can do a special discount price run, not the other way round.

And back on the topic of Cryptic Bullshit.. I'm sure some guy in marketing thinks he's being really clever. I want to punch that guy. I'd like to redownload Blood and Giants, but can't, because the site is down for this clusterfuck of an event.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Advertise a sale right before a scheduled shutdown? Doubtful.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GreenNight posted:

Advertise a sale right before a scheduled shutdown? Doubtful.
Why do you think the sale was scheduled to end on Sunday at noon instead of Monday like they normally are?

I noticed that over the weekend and thought it was weird, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together until the site "closed."

EDIT: So now that we've all had a few days to process this marketing event, I think I'm coming around to it more. This has caused a lot of buzz around the Internet, and while we might think of it as negative press, it'll mellow out with time. Depending on how good the new service is, most people will forget about the anger they felt a few days ago and it'll seem like a funny prank they fell for.

If GOG had given a few weeks' notice about a scheduled 4-5 day downtime while they set up the new site, no one would have really cared or spread the word. It still would have been the same core set of buyers. This "sudden site closure" has gotten people who would have never visited the site in the first place talking about GOG. It's a very risky game, and it might just pay off for them.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 21, 2010

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thievery posted:

I really doubt that. Why would they blatantly tease one of the most requested games and loads of new features in what would amount to little more than a kick to the nuts? Either gog is coming out of beta with Baldurs Gate and who knows what else or they are colossally dumb. Also, the video has way too much polish to be a hastily thrown together goodbye vid. It just screams coming out of beta.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

macnbc posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some intense competition from Publishers to get exclusive sale slots during certain time periods. That's why we've gone from having a weekend deal to having a weekend deal and a midweek deal to having those two and the occasional week long deal.

Deciding the sale discount isn't going to be too much of a chore either: virtually all sales are multiples of quarter or thirds off so it's a matter of agreeing which is appropriate.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Overwined posted:

Acceptance of what? Nothing happened. Keep collecting games dudes.

(denial)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Haha, that video confirms this was a stunt then. Bad marketing IMO.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

And/or a lot of pretty graphs showing how sales are boosted by deep short-term discounts.

I can't find anything on Google, but I remember Valve reducing the price of one of their games (Or perhaps a third party game? I can't remember which game it was.) to something ludicrously low for a weekend, and then reporting 1300% profits compared to the usual income.

Which they now obviously show publishers so that they'll get on board with sales.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

AxeManiac posted:

(denial)

Gotta catch'em all!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

I can't find anything on Google, but I remember Valve reducing the price of one of their games (Or perhaps a third party game? I can't remember which game it was.) to something ludicrously low for a weekend, and then reporting 1300% profits compared to the usual income.

Which they now obviously show publishers so that they'll get on board with sales.

I know that Introversion made a public statement that they would have gone bankrupt if it weren't for a Steam sale.

also, here is a link to what you were saying.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57308

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AxeManiac posted:

(denial)

*hands talking pillow*

Is there anything you'd like to share with us today, AxeManiac? You don't have to be afraid to speak out, this is a safe place. You are among friends. Just let it all hang out, like Garfield.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
So... New game today? ...or not?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Haha, that video confirms this was a stunt then. Bad marketing IMO.

You have to agree that if they do come back with Baldur's Gate or Planetscape Torment that would be the only way to make almost everyone forget and make people worship GoG even more.

I have the french Baldur's Gate versions somewhere... maybe back at my parents' house. I hate french games since a good while ago. I would still like an english digital and fully patched version, to replace any shady versions you can find everywhere online illegaly, as I don't really like to buy physical copies online from websites I don't really know (which would be the only option, drat Canada and their lovely Amazon! :argh:).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I look forward to Good Old Games' rebirth as OldAndMoreRecentGamesOfVaryingQuality.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I'm not that excited about Baldur's Gate but I understand how much demand there is for it. I would have preferred if they came out with System Shock 1&2.