Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

I thought lightsabers cauterized wounds?

I think in that instance it didn't completely cauterize Darth Maul's wounds.

It's screwed up that I didn't understand anything going on in TPM until I read the novelization and Cloak of Deception. Basically, in the year leading up to TPM (spoilers for the book, I guess):

1) The Trade Federation kept minimal arms.
2) Palpatine secretly hires some people to hijack and blow up a Federation ship.
3) The Trade Federation bitches to the Senate, they want the right to build a droid army for defense. Palpatine proposes heavy taxes on the trade routes in exchange for the droids. The Senate plans to hold a special debate on Eriadu.

Basically a bunch of double- and triple-crossing poo poo happens here between Palpatine and groups of assassins. It culminates in:

4) The Trade Federation brings a dozen battle droids to defend them at the gathering on Eriadu. The droids are exploited, and they turn on the Trade Federation, KILLING THEM ALL*.
5) *Except for the stupid Neimoidians like Nute Gunray, who were called 15 minutes before the attack to tow their spaceship. They now become the de facto leaders of the Trade Federation.
6) The Senate agrees that the Trade Federation really needs an army to defend them. Senator Palpatine pushes the new taxes. Darth Sidious tells Nute Gunray to form a blockade around, and eventually invade, Naboo in order to protest Palpatine's actions.

And we also learn in the TPM novelization that the Nabooians were held in concentration camps, which is why we don't see any of them in the film, and also why Padme is able to escape (remember they were given to droids for "processing"?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Diacritical Mark posted:

And we also learn in the TPM novelization that the Nabooians were held in concentration camps, which is why we don't see any of them in the film, and also why Padme is able to escape (remember they were given to droids for "processing"?).
This is actually mentioned in the films. There is one line referencing that people were being taken to camps.

Also, I didn't have all that stuff in my TPM novelization. I do have a very early edition though...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You free some people from one of the camps (camp 14?) in Battle For Naboo (which owned).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Diacritical Mark posted:

I think in that instance it didn't completely cauterize Darth Maul's wounds.

It's screwed up that I didn't understand anything going on in TPM until I read the novelization and Cloak of Deception. Basically, in the year leading up to TPM (spoilers for the book, I guess):

It kind of makes you wonder whether it was supposed to be that way from the beginning, or if the EU had to make up that convoluted mess to try to make sense of the convoluted mess that is in the film :v:

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I like how in the same thread we can bitch about the terrible state of the EU and then go on to talk about how we wish there was a reboot/someone else taking charge from Lucas.

I've been working on an idea for a complete reapproach to Star Wars for my own amusement. Same basic story, but looks and executed different. For the most part, I've been playing with casting to make it fun.

For instance, would George Lopez or Cheech Marin be better for the role of Chuy?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Insane Totoro posted:

I thought lightsabers cauterized wounds?

Tell that to what's his face in the cantina, lots of blood attached to that lightsaber wound...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kingtheninja posted:

Tell that to what's his face in the cantina, lots of blood attached to that lightsaber wound...

And yet when Jango Fetts head fell off, nothing sprayed out. These Star Wars are pretty inconsistant.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

There's probably some stupid species thing going on, like Aqualish and zabrak blood is wetter or doesn't boil. Y'know, something sciency.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Kingtheninja posted:

Tell that to what's his face in the cantina, very small amount of blood which could easily be a result of inefficient cauterisation attached to that lightsaber wound...

Fixed that for you.

Rodya Raskolnikov
Jun 18, 2009
So if two of the greatest force users lost a hand does that mean that Jedi a thousand years after Yavin will like, ritually mutilate themselves. Because if so that would be nifty.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Anyone watch the latest Clone Wars? I like how they had Ventress subtly point out that Grievous doesn't have a cock.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Just watched the first two episodes of the new CG season, and I am honestly surprised.
Mixed into the usual kiddie moral-to-the-story crap there were a fair few bits that would qualify as true Star Wars. Space battles that feel like RotJ? Check. Lightsaber duel that brings back memories of Luke and Vader? Oh yeah. Protagonists who aren't whiny little bitches? Fuckin' A. It was actually good!

Just a crying shame that they're ruining it next week with a stupid slapstick Jar-Jar episode. Lucas!:argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rodya Raskolnikov posted:

So if two of the greatest force users lost a hand does that mean that Jedi a thousand years after Yavin will like, ritually mutilate themselves. Because if so that would be nifty.

Now I know what my next Star Wars 1000 ABY Fanfiction is gonna be about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bene Elim posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of the new CG season, and I am honestly surprised.
Mixed into the usual kiddie moral-to-the-story crap there were a fair few bits that would qualify as true Star Wars. Space battles that feel like RotJ? Check. Lightsaber duel that brings back memories of Luke and Vader? Oh yeah. Protagonists who aren't whiny little bitches? Fuckin' A. It was actually good!

Uh, star wars is based on the kiddie moral-of-the-story "crap" of the classic good vs. evil archetypes. BTW, I'm pretty sure that Luke was a whiny little bitch during his training on dagobah - as if that's a bad thing.

But yeah, clone wars is pretty awesome.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

On the other hand it was another two episodes that could have been spent killing Ahsoka... :smith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wish you guys would stop talking about the Clone Wars cartoon like its really good and that I'm missing out on something. I keep wanting to pick it up but I couldn't even finish the first season which I have on DVD.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I wish you guys would stop talking about the Clone Wars cartoon like its really good and that I'm missing out on something. I keep wanting to pick it up but I couldn't even finish the first season which I have on DVD.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I honestly don't understand the raving reviews it gets when the animation is so terrible, the plots and characterization so simplistic, it completely shits on any of the prior Clone Wars EU stuff that was actually good, etc. Also, Asohka is seriously as bad and annoying character as Jar Jar (who by now has had more screentime in the Clone Wars than the entire prequels put together).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Chairman Capone posted:

Don't worry, you're not alone. I honestly don't understand the raving reviews it gets when the animation is so terrible, the plots and characterization so simplistic, it completely shits on any of the prior Clone Wars EU stuff that was actually good, etc. Also, Asohka is seriously as bad and annoying character as Jar Jar (who by now has had more screentime in the Clone Wars than the entire prequels put together).

I am sorry, but that point about Asohka is just not true. Yeah, a teen girl is annoying (I should know because I was one), but I'd rather put up with her than with a rabbit-thing who steps in poopy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The show had a drat Jar-Jar episode and is even worse with the "ROGER ROGER" stuff than any of the prequels. I don't understand it when people trash the prequels for stuff like that and then talk about how the cartoon stands apart from the prequels in quality.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

The show had a drat Jar-Jar episode and is even worse with the "ROGER ROGER" stuff than any of the prequels. I don't understand it when people trash the prequels for stuff like that and then talk about how the cartoon stands apart from the prequels in quality.

Did you watch Trespass? The Ryloth episodes? The Lair of Grievous? You do own them, after all. The show really picks up halfway through season 1.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Pththya-lyi posted:

I am sorry, but that point about Asohka is just not true. Yeah, a teen girl is annoying (I should know because I was one), but I'd rather put up with her than with a rabbit-thing who steps in poopy.

I think his broader point was that there shouldn't be anything we have to "put up with" in a show that is meant for entertainment.

Every time I try to watch the show I find myself flipping away at a commercial break because it's so full of cheesy poo poo. Not charming cheesy but Power Rangers cheesy. It's just hard to care about any of the characters or stories when the way they act and the things they say are constantly taking me out of the story. I admit this is a failing of mine for being unable to turn my brain off and just enjoy but...meh. Not a very good show for me, but I can see why people like it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NGL posted:

Did you watch Trespass? The Ryloth episodes? The Lair of Grievous? You do own them, after all. The show really picks up halfway through season 1.

Yeah, I believe I got to episode 16 when I just stopped caring to put the DVD back in to finish it off. I'll finish it one day because I want to give season 2 a chance for some reason, I just don't understand all the raving about it or how it seems to get away with the exact same poo poo that people bitch about Lucas doing.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

TBH, I agree. 75% of the episodes are pure crap, 20% are watchable/meh. but there's a magic 5% which are hidden gems.

The Mace Windu based Ryloth episode, some parts of the lair of grievous and the second part of the season three opener fall into this.

Season two is more watchable, but I'm not sure if I remember any golden episodes from it.

Fox of Stone posted:

Uh, star wars is based on the kiddie moral-of-the-story "crap" of the classic good vs. evil archetypes.
Yes, and it's a good thing. The films though don't hammer this home week-on-week with a loving sledgehammer.

The films' message of 'Evil is BAD' comes through the story, making us realise that the empire is evil so we want to root for the rebels. The CG series just outright says 'Teamwork is GOODD! You won because of teamwork'. It's the lack of subtlety that just rubs me the wrong way.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bene Elim posted:

The films' message of 'Evil is BAD' comes through the story, making us realise that the empire is evil so we want to root for the rebels. The CG series just outright says 'Teamwork is GOODD! You won because of teamwork'. It's the lack of subtlety that just rubs me the wrong way.

Think about the fact that it airs on Cartoon Network. It might explain the moral of the story BS

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

Yes, and it's a good thing. The films though don't hammer this home week-on-week with a loving sledgehammer.

The death star firing on a civilian planet is a pretty big sledgehammer. The teamwork between the rebels and ewoks were what won the day in ROTJ. Do you really think that if Lucas had made a weekly TV show of the OT that it wouldn't contain the same? Remember that it did spawn the star wars christmas special. And hell, it might not be TV series, but most people even in this (pessimistic) thread loved the X-wing series. I'd say teamwork-is-good plays a pretty important part there and it had plenty of cheesy, funny bits.

WhyteRyce posted:

Guess it just depends on how much that bugs you, then. I love the "ROGER ROGER" stuff. :3: As for Jar Jar, my friends and I still look fondly with nostalgia when, after watching episode 1, I claimed that Jar Jar would be the cause of the fall of the entire republic. I won that bet. :smugdog:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Clemen posted:

Think about the fact that it airs on Cartoon Network. It might explain the moral of the story BS
Did they ever force those education imperatives over onto cable, I don't remember?

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah, I believe I got to episode 16 when I just stopped caring to put the DVD back in to finish it off. I'll finish it one day because I want to give season 2 a chance for some reason, I just don't understand all the raving about it or how it seems to get away with the exact same poo poo that people bitch about Lucas doing.

Yeah season 1 was pretty boo, Holocron Heist, Cargo of Doom and Children of the Force were a good three parter. There is a good part when Cad Bane tortures and kills a Jedi, the droids voice tone goes really low and says something like "hes dead sir" something you never saw in the prequels sure Anakin killed sand people and some younglings. But never torture. Then the Jedi torture him..... Also Vader tortures Han in the empire strikes back. Cad Bane is the walking infestation of the original trilogy!

Oh well </rant>

hellsy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 23, 2010

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

What really bugs me about the Clone Wars in general is that both of the opposing armies are made up of expendable and virtually identical units. Why should I care if a handful of clones are trying to escape from an enemy planet? They were created for the sole purpose of dying in combat! :saddowns:

Hopefully this season ends with Ventress killing Ahsoka.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Clemen posted:

Just like all their other quality edutainment such as The Boondocks...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Faerunner posted:

Just like all their other quality edutainment such as The Boondocks...

Adult Swim shows /= Other Cartoon Network shows

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2010

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Although some daytime Cartoon Network shows are pretty demented. That Flapjack show has more than a couple of horrifying moments by kids show standards.

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yea its like after 10pm it becomes a completely different network. (in a way it does)

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

That's fair. It really has picked up, though. It's matured a bit and come into its own (a few crap episodes notwithstanding, of course).

Incidentally, here's the TVIV thread on The Clone Wars: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347695

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clemen posted:

Yea its like after 10pm it becomes a completely different network. (in a way it does)

Since 2005 it has been considered a separate network, originally to track Nielson numbers independently.

As for the Clone Wars CGI-Show, Season 2 really was a lot more watchable than season 1 and I'm basically hoping the same step up in quality happens from 2->3. That or the green jedi girl whose name I can't spell dies.

Edit: It was Ahsoka. Ahsoka was the correct spelling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Going through the DVDs the show really has its moments when it has a more dynamic and dramatic look, like during the combat between Ventress, Ahsoka and Luminara. There's enough of that to keep me watching through the parts that are kind of sterile and empty. The last one I saw was that bounty hunter in the senate building and I liked what they did with him and his cronies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Cad Bane is a poo poo character.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cad Bane is a poo poo character.

Thank you for your insightful contribution. I'll keep it in mind next time I need someone from the internet to formulate my opinions for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

NGL posted:

Karen Traviss, if only to see things from Palpatine's POV.

:ughh:

Great, now I am going to have nightmares about Palpatine secretly being Mandalorian.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Hates the Jedi, lusts for power... I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clemen
Jul 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

WarLocke posted:

:ughh:

Great, now I am going to have nightmares about Palpatine secretly being Mandalorian.

I assume most of the characters have a mandalorian ancestor