Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

blackguy32 posted:

Other than those loving snowboard stages and Megaman's weird voice, I love Megaman 8. But then again, I am not really a fan of the NES megaman games so that colors my bias.

Also Wily Castle 1 from Megaman 7 is an amazing track. There is no debating this :colbert:

Seriously, one of the best tracks outside of 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5oi3vWXlw

7 had some really good music in general though, such as Shade Man, the intro stage, one of my favorite Megaman tracks The Robot Museum, and even if the robot design itself was retarded(spring-legged skull with a sombrero or whatever with a stick up its nose, what?), Wily Machine #7 had a good theme. Bass's was good too.

And I've always loved the title screen jingle. It's no Megaman 2, 3 or 5, but it's catchy and short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jibo posted:

At first I was wondering why the hell someone would want this on the PC. Now I think I understand.

Ease of use with the editor both in creation and sharing files would be great, and then the use of any gamepad you'd like for play. A boy can dream...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Captain Invictus posted:

7 had some really good music in general though, such as Shade Man

I always forget what Shade Man's default music sounds like since I always go for the alternate GnG remix.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 3 is the best. Protoman, the slide, all the MM2 bosses, and it's twice as long.

It had the slide and it didn't have the charge shot, which I think is the perfect balance.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I always forget what Shade Man's default music sounds like since I always go for the alternate GnG remix.

That level is just crazy overall because I remember it had two routes you could take depending on how you beat the mid boss. Megaman 7 is the game that got me "interested" in the series. I was a major fan of Megaman X, and then I transitioned over to 7 before eventually getting the anniversary collection.

Also, I remembered liking the cartoon, but its godawful now that I am much older.

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously, one of the best tracks outside of 2.

7 had some really good music in general though, such as Shade Man, the intro stage, one of my favorite Megaman tracks The Robot Museum, and even if the robot design itself was retarded(spring-legged skull with a sombrero or whatever with a stick up its nose, what?), Wily Machine #7 had a good theme. Bass's was good too.

And I've always loved the title screen jingle. It's no Megaman 2, 3 or 5, but it's catchy and short.

The ending music is great too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLqsaFYNxw

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 16, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, seeing X in the cartoon was AWESOME when I was little though, and Vile's voice was great. And Spark Mandrill was ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING looking.

And yeah 7's ending music is outstanding, I just couldn't find a loving playlist with all the music in it for some reason, they all had like 15 tracks and that's it

Mercury Crusader posted:

Either is good, really. One is a nice easter egg and the other is a great original.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So since I got my sweet sweet Rock Band Portable Drum Kit controller today for ten bucks of Amazon (which by the way I'll highly recommend to anyone with the 360 versions of 9 or 10), I decided to test it out with some Mega Man 9, much to the amusement of my roommates. I get through three levels and decide to give it a rest to go run some errands and study for a test tomorrow. I get back from doing things, and notice one of my roommates updated her Facebook status.

My Roommate posted:

"GET IN MY BLACK HOLE" - Deadwing

Apparently it's really amusing to watch me get angry at Mega Man. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

deadwing posted:

Apparently it's really amusing to watch me get angry at Mega Man. :v:

I think your roommate needs to watch the Megaman LPs done by Oyster. He'd probably be laughing non-stop at some of those videos.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007
I found this Astroboy's episode with lots of resemblances with the original Mega man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjK1qk8wzE&feature=related

you'll notice they fight Cut man first, the way it should be :colbert:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NotJesus posted:

I found this Astroboy's episode with lots of resemblances with the original Mega man:

Huh. Now I'd kind of like a Mega Man style game where you have to go kill a bunch of heroes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drox posted:

Huh. Now I'd kind of like a Mega Man style game where you have to go kill a bunch of heroes.

It already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy:_Omega_Factor

I'm totally doing a video LP of it eventually.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schwarzwald posted:

It already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy:_Omega_Factor

I'm totally doing a video LP of it eventually.

But that sounds like you're a hero robot killing villainous robots, like usual.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drox posted:

But that sounds like you're a hero robot killing villainous robots, like usual.

It's more like you're a hero robot killing hero robots that have goals that conflict with your own.

A lot of dialog is, "gee, you seem like a great guy, but you're committed to an opposing cause so I have to destroy you now. :nyoron:"

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

NotJesus posted:

Mont Blanc always makes me think of Bombman. With an axe. :shobon:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

blackguy32 posted:

Megaman 7 is the game that got me "interested" in the series. I was a major fan of Megaman X, and then I transitioned over to 7 before eventually getting the anniversary collection.

Too bad Megaman 7 runs like poo poo on the anniversary collection. SIGH

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Also no kick rear end ending with Mega Man walking away from Wily's castle as it bursts into flames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV3qdCeuoZ4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IXCE posted:

Also no kick rear end ending with Mega Man walking away from Wily's castle as it bursts into flames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV3qdCeuoZ4

Bitch I don't need no teleport. :megaman:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

There is a ton of poo poo wrong with the Anniversary Collection. If you play it on PS2, you have to worry about the mushy rear end analog buttons. On the gamecube, its hosed up controls. The presentation looks like they just slapped some poo poo together.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

There is a ton of poo poo wrong with the Anniversary Collection. If you play it on PS2, you have to worry about the mushy rear end analog buttons. On the gamecube, its hosed up controls. The presentation looks like they just slapped some poo poo together.

That's pretty much what people do with compilations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jibo posted:

That's pretty much what people do with compilations.

Which is odd, because Megaman X collection was put together much better than the anniversary collection. Actually, every other compilation game I own is put together much better than the anniversary collection.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

Which is odd, because Megaman X collection was put together much better than the anniversary collection. Actually, every other compilation game I own is put together much better than the anniversary collection.

I hear the X compilation was really good, and wanted it at the time. But I have pretty much every relevant game (Mega Man X) in it so I never got it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
How was the Xbox version of Anniversary Collection? I've thought about picking it up for some day in the future when I nab an original Xbox for the few worthwhile exclusives/multiplatform games with extra poo poo in them. I know it includes all the extras from both the PS2 and GCN versions but know little about the technical/control aspects.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jibo posted:

I hear the X compilation was really good, and wanted it at the time. But I have pretty much every relevant game (Mega Man X) in it so I never got it.

Well, it comes with Battle and Chase, so it's worth the purchase price.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jibo posted:

If you've got all the included games, Ebay that poo poo and buy the compilation. X3 alone is a 55-60+(more with box and such) sale easy.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
You know, I had the Gamecube version of the Anniversary Collection and I think I had acclimated to the controls within a day. I guess it would have been different had I grown up on the NES games and I certainly see why it was annoying but it really didn't seem like a Deal Breaker for me

Also it's probably because the AC was the first time time I played MM1-6, but you know I really enjoyed 4-6. I can certainly see why people see them as downgrades, and I'm have no doubt why people would look down at them after having to wait out development time and pay full price for them. But man, I sure like 4-6 a lot more than I do 1 and 8. They're fun titles in my opinion.

Also the X compilation is good, although I seem to remember wishing that they had used the SNES version of X3 for some reason. Wasn't the PS1 version they used a bit blurry in places? Never beat X6 though, man was it bad

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All I remember was playing X2 in the compilation and my eyeballs bleeding, but that may have had more to do with my awful TV than the game.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

WDIIA posted:

Also the X compilation is good, although I seem to remember wishing that they had used the SNES version of X3 for some reason. Wasn't the PS1 version they used a bit blurry in places?

The blurry bits are where they replaced cutscenes with encoded video. Let's be clear here, they replaced sprite manipulation cutscenes with encoded videos of those scenes themselves, not something uniquely animated. It's exactly as dumb and ugly as it sounds. Also the music is worse. Also they added some terrible animated cutscenes in places (boss intros for one). The SNES version would have been much better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I actually have the US PC version of X3 with all the upgrades. I wonder how much it's worth.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AzraelNewtype posted:

The blurry bits are where they replaced cutscenes with encoded video. Let's be clear here, they replaced sprite manipulation cutscenes with encoded videos of those scenes themselves, not something uniquely animated. It's exactly as dumb and ugly as it sounds. Also the music is worse. Also they added some terrible animated cutscenes in places (boss intros for one). The SNES version would have been much better.

Boy, them's fightin' words. The animated cutscenes were awesome, especially Volt Catfish's.

That version of X3 is the definitive one. :colbert:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Enjoying the hell out of mega man 10 at the moment. It's not as hilariously hard and assholish as 9, I've actually been able to beat all bosses and gotten to Dr W fortress.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

cat with hands posted:

Enjoying the hell out of mega man 10 at the moment. It's not as hilariously hard and assholish as 9, I've actually been able to beat all bosses and gotten to Dr W fortress.

Yeah, I hear you here. I decided to get 9 on a whim, and I realize that I suck at Mega Man. Maybe I'll grab the demo of 10 to test my luck.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Again I must be some sort of aberration because while it has its challenging points I thought MM9 was fairly easy

Maybe I'm better at MM games than I think I am, I don't know

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Again I must be some sort of aberration because while it has its challenging points I thought MM9 was fairly easy

Maybe I'm better at MM games than I think I am, I don't know

I felt the same way. I'm honestly kind of confused that it has such legendary difficulty, especially considering you get weapons like Jewel Satellite.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ImpAtom posted:

I felt the same way. I'm honestly kind of confused that it has such legendary difficulty, especially considering you get weapons like Jewel Satellite.

Jewel Satellite does nothing against the many, many pits and irritatingly placed spike traps. Almost none of my deaths in MM9 came from loss of health, but I still can't really get through it.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

King of the Cosmos posted:

Yeah, I hear you here. I decided to get 9 on a whim, and I realize that I suck at Mega Man. Maybe I'll grab the demo of 10 to test my luck.

Priced at 4.5 € it was a no-brainer. They seemed to have shifted the design slightly from memorization to twitch, which probably explains why I find it easier. Using protoman, easy mode or going overboard in the shop makes the game way too easy though, try to restrain yourself. Maybe the purists here will disagree but the only thing I miss is slide and charge shot for mega man himself.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Jewel Satellite does nothing against the many, many pits and irritatingly placed spike traps. Almost none of my deaths in MM9 came from loss of health, but I still can't really get through it.

Yeah, I think that's the big difference between MM9 and the other classic games - the other games would stagger the instadeath environmental hazards between longer stretches filled with enemies or gimmicky items or whatever, whereas MM9 is all killer, no filler and doesn't bother with anything that doesn't pose a real challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, I'm not doubting you or anything, I guess I just don't see it. In addition to Jewel Satellite, you get Concrete Shot and the various Rush things and other ways to make things easier even without dipping into the shop. I certainly agree there are some bullshit areas, but most of it seemed pretty reasonable to me.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the NES games have whole levels without single hit kills. Like Charge Man's for example.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, MM9's big thing is that you are just about required to memorize large sections if not entire levels in order to get past the plethora of instant death traps. I found it pretty drat challenging, but it was refreshing in most ways and I had no issue beating the game. It helps that you can stock up on things in the store to make your life a little easier. There's this one jump in Wily stage...3, I think, where there are spikes on the ceiling between two small platforms. I usually keep one spike guard for that moment, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megaman 9 is the Cave Shooter of Megamans