Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Sharing law:

http://www.legalrebels.com/profiles/sharing_her_vision

quote:

As a self-proclaimed sharing lawyer, Orsi drafts contracts for shared housing, cars and workspaces. She helps structure child care cooperatives, eco-villages and community-supported urban gardens. Orsi also explains the tax and regulatory issues that surround barter agreements and co-op small businesses.

“People haven’t told me it’s crazy because I won’t make money,” says Orsi, 30. “People say it’s crazy because they don’t think other people will want to share.”
•••
Orsi predicts every community will soon need the services of lawyers who specialize in helping people share.

LEGAL REBEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

nm posted:

Rural prosecutors get dental and a pension. Also they tend to avoid traffic tickets.

Sure, but you're living in Rhinelander. :barf:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Incredulous Red posted:

LEGAL REBEL

:ughh:

So embarrassing. Maybe it's because I'm watching it all from the inside, but this Legal Rebel bullshit is one of the most transparent attempts by a stodgy old institution to "get hip" in recent memory.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Huffington Post posted:

His wages, almost the same he earned while working there in high school, go towards paying off his $175,000 student loans (a figure he finds so ridiculous he can only joke about it: "I am stuck with my student loans till I die.").

Since I see people like 10-8 talk up things like IBR but don't know too much about it - how does this work in someone like this guy's case? If he kept that pizza job for 20 years, wouldn't he just not pay very much per month and eventually have most of the balance forgiven?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

HooKars posted:

Since I see people like 10-8 talk up things like IBR but don't know too much about it - how does this work in someone like this guy's case? If he kept that pizza job for 20 years, wouldn't he just not pay very much per month and eventually have most of the balance forgiven?

25 years, but yes.

Better to get a job as like a janitor at a middle school or something, and cut the forgiveness period to 10.

Of course the forgiveness only applies to Ford loans directly held by the Department of Education. Hope you consolidated when you graduated~~

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 21, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Defleshed posted:

In legal employment news, my JD actually helped me land a very nice promotion this week (as in a nearly 100% pay increase and a much nicer office). Still didn't make it worth it to go to law school but at least I don't feel like a total failure now. In fact, I am pretty loving stoked. I still work at the ABA though so it's often difficult to shake the feeling of being a sonderkommando.

That is excellent news, so congratulations. And it's kind of funny to think that being a lawyer is a big plus-factor for promotion at the ABA. Not even the ABA is willing to hire lawyers?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Draile posted:

That is excellent news, so congratulations. And it's kind of funny to think that being a lawyer is a big plus-factor for promotion at the ABA. Not even the ABA is willing to hire lawyers?

Thanks! It's nice and I am so so thankful for it, but I still will probably end up trying to turn my Army Reserve commission into an Active Duty slot, if for no other reason than I still have this crazy desire to actually practice law.

There are all kinds of different staff positions at the ABA. Since a lot of them involve working directly with lawyers to help form policy or create CLE or other informational programs about substantive areas of the law, having a JD can be a huge plus in applying for certain positions. It lends a little credibility to what you do or say when you provide guidance to the members (who are the actual people generating all the "output" from the ABA, with a few notable departments excepted).

That being said, I was lucky enough to get my foot in the door here while I was a 1L, working in a completely different entry-level job based on an entirely different set of skills and work experience. Essentially, I was looking for something to support my family and pay the bills while I was in law school and it just so happened that the place that hired me was the ABA. In other words, I do not recommend to anyone seeking a career in association management that they pursue the related degree, ESPECIALLY with respect to bar associations. Get a loving MBA you'll be much better off and infinitely more hireable.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dean had an "all hands on deck" meeting with us today. His message, and I quote: "Re-calibrate your expectations" and "be entrepreneurial". :(

If I had the creativity necessary to be entrepreneurial, I wouldn't have gone to law school.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

stingray1381 posted:

If I had the creativity necessary to be entrepreneurial, I wouldn't have gone to law school.

I'm going to India to start a company that out-sources Deans and Career Services Departments.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
9 interviews. Pre-bought alcohol just to assuage the sting of rejection.

Ahaha just kidding I'm never really out of alcohol

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ahaha just kidding I'm never really out of alcohol

Then you're not drinking hard enough

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but civilization v is a flop. I tried out the demo to see what you were all talking about, but let's be honest; it's childish drivel with no sense of culture or appreciation for the fine details. Truly the tttriple tier of games.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Husband applied for law clerk position for LA County. Then the hiring attorney went on vacation.

He worked for the county for free for the better part of most of his 4E program so those fuckers owe him. I have a feeling it's going to go to some judge's great nephew instead, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but civilization v is a flop. I tried out the demo to see what you were all talking about, but let's be honest; it's childish drivel with no sense of culture or appreciation for the fine details. Truly the tttriple tier of games.

What no it's not you're crazy etc etc

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Real men attempt to corner the market in Recettear.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

If this doesn't just ooze masculinity, I don't know what does

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
^ My thoughts exactly. :hfive:

CaptainScraps posted:

Real men prefer graphics that don't depict people as grotesque abominations whose bodies would literally snap in twain if they were real. Men of quality find japanese animation to be quite distasteful, I'm afraid.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Does that person have a talking navel? Also why is she standing in a pair of flowerpots? CpnScraps youre weird...

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Quick, my class is running six minutes past schedule. How do I gtfo without pissing off the professors?

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
OMG everyone keeps asking questions and the professors won't shut up, halp!!!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

just leave

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

Is that any good? It's on my 'unzip when really bored' list

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

dividebyzero posted:

Make eye contact with the profs and slowly shut your laptop. Other people will quickly follow suit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

that's what your wife said about you

:hellyeah:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
lmbo

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/20/pizza-soda-and-legal-advi_n_731927.html

Unemployed Lawyer Offers Pizza, Soda And Legal Advice

"He is the person most shocked by his current situation. In 2008, Sotiropoulos was an aspiring entertainment lawyer who had moved to Hollywood for a year to pursue his dream. Not only did he not make it, but after a year of working odd jobs unrelated to his field, he was forced to move back in with his parents and take on his old high school job of serving pies at the restaurant."

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

I walked out in the middle of a seminar yesterday when it went 1 minute over.

The seminar has 8 people.

It's a round table and I was sitting next to the professor.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

HiddenReplaced posted:

You...you are my new hero in this world.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Adar posted:

It's good if you're really bored.

I'm manly enough to play whatever, so I don't give no poo poo.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

this is pretty lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.reddit.com/r/law/comments/dh1jh/confused_1l_contemplating_withdrawing_2l_3l/

some person posted:

I am currently attending a T3 school on full scholarship however since day 1 I've felt I made the wrong choice in coming to law school. I do not find myself interested in any classes or engaged in any of the material. I sit through every class glancing at my watch wishing it was over. I dread doing my reading and briefing cases but have no problem completing the work. I'm not behind at all and am understanding the concepts taught thus far. Yet I cannot picture myself actually practicing law. It's a ordeal to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Since I'm only 5 weeks in is it too early to make this type of descision? Or is the fact I've felt this way since day 1 and it has only gotten worse tell me something?
choice responses:

quote:

If you were paying for it, I would be tempted to say that you should withdraw. However, if you're on a free ride, then gently caress it. Stay the course. There are umpteen million things you can do with a JD besides practice law.

quote:

full scholarship is amazing. give it a little longer. jds are worth a lot more than practicing law.

unless you feel like you have something better to do.

quote:

Hang in there; worst case scenario is that you come out of law school with a very valuable degree that can lead to very diverse career paths (you do not have to become a lawyer just because you have a JD).

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Real men prefer graphics that don't depict people as grotesque abominations whose bodies would literally snap in twain if they were real. Men of quality find japanese animation to be quite distasteful, I'm afraid.

does this help

(recettear owns)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

dividebyzero posted:

You...you are my new hero in this world.

I ran into someone earlier today from the class:

Her- "Hey, I just want you to know, I respect what you did yesterday, and I wish I had the courage to do it too."

Me- "I was hungry."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And then everyone applauded

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

that's what your wife said about you

:hellyeah:

fuuuck

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
Did any other 2Ls apply for DOJ SLIP? If so, I'm curious to hear if/when your application status changes from "application received."

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Grammar Fascist posted:

Did any other 2Ls apply for DOJ SLIP? If so, I'm curious to hear if/when your application status changes from "application received."

No change here.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
How long does it take to be prepared well enough to pass the MPRE? I haven't registered for it yet and really haven't done a drat thing for it yet, but was thinking about taking it in November. Could I be ready by then, or are there any secret prep courses that I don't know about?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

qwertyman posted:

Thinking about taking [MPRE] in November. Could I be ready by then?

Yes. The ethics rules are pretty intuitive. Unless you are a corrupt bastard, you could probably do okay without studying at all. But just to be safe, read through the rules. Personally, I spent a little more time (i.e. read these rules twice) on the rules applying to judges. They are under more restrictions and those rules often seem arbitrary to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Since LF gives me the shits, I thought I might post this here for general mockery since it is indeed relevant to our topic:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_profs_page_not_found_post_im_not_super_rich_enough_for_higher_taxes

The total disconnect between what everyday Americans must deal with to make do and his horrible dilemma of choosing between his maid or his gardener... its terrifying. This is why people are so angry. And of course he's a law professor, one of the most disconnected from reality groups of "professionals" in this country.