Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

I think GOG accidentally put a YouTube video up earlier than they should've and some guy capped it.

gnomeslair on Twitter said "There's a weird new private (!) video on the GOG.com YouTube channel. Something about 40 publishers..."

A conversation on GOGcom's YouTube profile:

GOGcom (12 minutes ago) Spam
@DooMDrat it will be visible here soon.

DooMDrat (16 minutes ago) Spam
I took a screenshot of that little hint in the video you removed, FYI.

The image he screenshotted:

Holy loving poo poo. If this is a publicity stunt, it's probably the best one ever.

I just don't want them to close, and the way they did it with an immediate basic Frontpage webpage is fishy...here's hoping. When they reopen with Baldur's loving Gate, they're getting more of my money. Guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think this was a publicity stunt. I think it was just bad timing. They had to do a shutdown and (probably) make some changes to their scheme, they just communicated it a really bad way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lockback posted:

I don't think this was a publicity stunt. I think it was just bad timing. They had to do a shutdown and (probably) make some changes to their scheme, they just communicated it a really bad way.

Then why all the vague updates to make it looks like they are shutting down? Why no direct word "No worries, people! Is just an update, will be back in a soon with exciting new stuff". Why the mysterious video?

Is either a stunt (most probably), incapacity to communicate clearly (unlikely), or they really shut down (the video is almost proof that they did not).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then why all the vague updates to make it looks like they are shutting down? Why no direct word "No worries, people! Is just an update, will be back in a soon with exciting new stuff". Why the mysterious video?

Is either a stunt (most probably), incapacity to communicate clearly (unlikely), or they really shut down (the video is almost proof that they did not).

If it is some sort of business acquisition/takeover/change-of-hands that would explain it. They can't say anything to the public without informing their shareholders of that sort of thing first.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

macnbc posted:

If it is some sort of business acquisition/takeover/change-of-hands that would explain it. They can't say anything to the public without informing their shareholders of that sort of thing first.

Then why take the site offline?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then why take the site offline?

To go back to when Gametap was taken over by Metaboli, Gametap was offline for a day or two in the transition because they were moving from Turner's network to Metaboli's. Could be the same situation here.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

macnbc posted:

To go back to when Gametap was taken over by Metaboli, Gametap was offline for a day or two in the transition because they were moving from Turner's network to Metaboli's. Could be the same situation here.

Ok, but why make an announcement that reads like a goodbye letter? Then a couple of days later release a video that also might be interpreted as goodbye, but throw in some frames showing new games and features?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, but why make an announcement that reads like a goodbye letter? Then a couple of days later release a video that also might be interpreted as goodbye, but throw in some frames showing new games and features?

The theory is that:

1. They're ESL.
2. Their sense of humor is a bit off.
3. They probably didn't realize the power of internet bitching.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's like the start of a bad joke, "So two polish guys try to start a PR company..."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well this is weird. I didn't use GOG as much as you nerds but it sure was an awesome service.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

3. They probably didn't realize the power of internet bitching.

Internet bitching doesn't have any power, I think they understand that very well indeed. PC gamers are the most impotent and hypocritical market force there is.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So has anyone sent an email to update_users@gog.com to see what happens?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

rt4 posted:

They check the e-mail you sent it from, match it with one GoG account and delete said account. That way, when they reopen, all the rabid and foaming at the mouth people won't hammer the service to download their entire collections because they're the most likely to send an e-mail!

If this is a prank, this is the most likely third step from the best PR team in the world.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

rt4 posted:

Yes, I did this yesterday. No reply yet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This still looks like a bad management call to me, that is now (maybe) being played off as a brilliantly maverick marketing gimmick.

Still, I'll be checking the site out on Wednesday to see what all the fuss is about, so it worked kind of?

I guess in a way it raises the emotional stakes: unbelievable nerd rage if going full-DRM, unbelievable nerd joy if going two store (DRM-free and DRM-laden) to add new games.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

This still looks like a bad management call to me, that is now (maybe) being played off as a brilliantly maverick marketing gimmick.

Still, I'll be checking the site out on Wednesday to see what all the fuss is about, so it worked kind of?

I guess in a way it raises the emotional stakes: unbelievable nerd rage if going full-DRM, unbelievable nerd joy if going two store (DRM-free and DRM-laden) to add new games.

One thing for sure : If you love, hate, admire or whatever regarding this prank/hoax/closing down has one true result. Any people around to experience this "thing" means they will check online tomorrow to get the answer once they're done with their official statement.

So... success?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I guess I can tick "There's No Such Thing As Bad Publicity" off my checklist now, can someone post a "It Worked Since We're All Talking About It" so I can finish off? :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I could care less if this was all for publicity. I never played Baldur's Gate so I'm going to buy it once GOG reopens :colbert:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Hemish posted:

One thing for sure : If you love, hate, admire or whatever regarding this prank/hoax/closing down has one true result. Any people around to experience this "thing" means they will check online tomorrow to get the answer once they're done with their official statement.

Just watch as the "thing" they're getting us all to watch is http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-370

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

TotalBiscuit posted:

Internet bitching doesn't have any power, I think they understand that very well indeed. Gamers who post on forums are the most impotent and hypocritical market force there is.
I fixed that for you.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

TotalBiscuit posted:

PC gamers are the most impotent and hypocritical market force there is.

What do you mean by this?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I could care less if this was all for publicity. I never played Baldur's Gate so I'm going to buy it once GOG reopens :colbert:

This. Re-open already dammit!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Modern Warfare 2 dedicated server petition/boycott.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Elmo Oxygen posted:

He means that PC gamers are incredibly weak willed and have no integrity. They constantly cry and complain how X game is dumbed down console trash or Y game is going to fail because it doesn't have dedicated servers or whatever and yet they still keep buying and playing games that they say they hate so much.

A good example of this is Modern Warfare 2 and the lack of dedicated servers.

edit: Half beaten to this.

edit 2: Basically you can look at all the people who are leaving angry comments on GoG's youtube/facebook/twitter about how they were back stabbed and will not buy anything from GoG ever again and rest assured that 90% are going to keep throwing money at GoG when/if they open back up.

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 22, 2010

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is nothing more than a poorly-planned PR stunt. Yes it's bad that by taking their site down temporarily, they've locked paying customers out of their purchases. But who gets rid of their SA account when the forums go down for maintenance? We paid good money for these accounts, but even when we're locked out we come right on back.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Some of us are still boycotting. :colbert:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

C-Euro posted:

This is nothing more than a poorly-planned PR stunt. Yes it's bad that by taking their site down temporarily, they've locked paying customers out of their purchases. But who gets rid of their SA account when the forums go down for maintenance? We paid good money for these accounts, but even when we're locked out we come right on back.

Not that I'm saying you are wrong, but SA doesn't say they are shutting down for good and then coming back up a few days later with a "just kidding!"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Entorwellian posted:

Not that I'm saying you are wrong, but SA doesn't say they are shutting down for good and then coming back up a few days later with a "just kidding!"

But they say right there on the page that they're going to let people keep downloading their purchased games.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Yodzilla posted:

But they say right there on the page that they're going to let people keep downloading their purchased games.

Except the original message was like "eh, maybe".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Some of us are still boycotting. :colbert:
Heh. I'm still "boycotting," but I don't give a crap about dedicated servers. I'm just waiting for the price to drop on something that I'm only ever going to play through single-player once. Maybe twice if it turns out to be really good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Malkar posted:

No it wasn't. "On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games." This is unmodified from its original form.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

BigJoe posted:

He means that PC gamers are incredibly weak willed and have no integrity. They constantly cry and complain how X game is dumbed down console trash or Y game is going to fail because it doesn't have dedicated servers or whatever and yet they still keep buying and playing games that they say they hate so much.

A good example of this is Modern Warfare 2 and the lack of dedicated servers.

edit: Half beaten to this.

edit 2: Basically you can look at all the people who are leaving angry comments on GoG's youtube/facebook/twitter about how they were back stabbed and will not buy anything from GoG ever again and rest assured that 90% are going to keep throwing money at GoG when/if they open back up.

I don't really see how you can compare a niche service like GOG to one of the most popular video games of all time. Of course a boycott like that is going to fail. A better comparison would be Gametap, which provided a similar service and is more or less dead since it pissed off its customers (PC gamers).

You might have a point about returning customers if there weren't obvious alternatives. GOG isn't some huge juggernaut that can afford to say "my way or the highway" like Infinity Ward did. A burnt GOG customer can torrent everything they offer with relative ease and zero cost. Or they could buy many of the same games from Steam without worrying so much about the future of the company. GOG's entire business model is based around maintaining the goodwill of their customers and adding value (no DRM, free extras, etc.).

And really, what's the point of supporting a download service that has decided to make good on its right to cut your access without warning, whenever they want?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

This was last mentioned a couple of pages ago, but can someone describe to me what happened to GameTap? I used to be a member throughout all of 2007 and it was quite good for its price. Apparently another company took control of it and uploads terrible games?

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 22, 2010

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Their contracts on most of their popular games ran out, and they refused to support 64 bit operating systems. Now most of their catalog is shovelware, except for a few gems that are perennially on sale from places like GamersGate and Steam.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

BigJoe posted:

You forgot to mention those that use a "boycott" as an excuse to justify their pirating of the game. Sense of entitlement and all that.

HAIL SATAN
Apr 26, 2007

Eating puppies and giving guns to the poor since 1842

Charles Martel posted:

Holy loving poo poo. If this is a publicity stunt, it's probably the best one ever.

I just don't want them to close, and the way they did it with an immediate basic Frontpage webpage is fishy...here's hoping. When they reopen with Baldur's loving Gate, they're getting more of my money. Guaranteed.

How are more people not jumping all over this? PR shitstorm aside, the founders of CD Projekt could come to my home and personally jerk off into my Grape Nuts and I would still forgive them the minute they released Baldur's Gate :goonsay:

Here's the video in question, currently linked at the top of GOG's website:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ
The game is clearly visible for that split second near the 0:12 mark. If that doesn't quell suspicions about GOG shutting down, nothing will.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Malkar posted:

This thread is the greatest example of internet hysteria and misinformation I've ever seen :allears:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Their contracts on most of their popular games ran out, and they refused to support 64 bit operating systems. Now most of their catalog is shovelware, except for a few gems that are perennially on sale from places like GamersGate and Steam.

I wouldn't say that they refused to support 64-bit, more like the DRM wrapper they used on all the windows games (I want to say it was from a company called Excel, but searching for 'excel drm' just comes up with tons of people using the wrong tool for the job) couldn't support 64-bit windows. There was no off-the-shelf solution at the time that would slot into their codebase.
This was about the time they abandoned (their meager) mac support, so I bailed on them anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Charles Martel posted:

Why? I don't get this. Baldur's Gate isn't a hard game to purchase at other places. This publicity stunt was loving stupid. I don't think gog.com has lost me as a customer but I definitely will look other places first. I'm taking my pitchfork and ramming it up their asses since that is apparently where their brains are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

xarph posted:

I wouldn't say that they refused to support 64-bit, more like the DRM wrapper they used on all the windows games (I want to say it was from a company called Excel, but searching for 'excel drm' just comes up with tons of people using the wrong tool for the job) couldn't support 64-bit windows. There was no off-the-shelf solution at the time that would slot into their codebase.
This was about the time they abandoned (their meager) mac support, so I bailed on them anyway.

I was okay with the lack of 64 bit support for a while, but it eventually got to a point where it seemed like they were just dragging their feet and every bit of news would be "64 bit support will come next week!" and then nothing would happen.