Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Dyna Soar posted:

I've had both of my pedals stop working within a week. First my fuzz, then my tuner. I don't even know if should repair them, I could get both for like 150€ and the repairing is 60€ per hour.

So loving annoying.

Details? What kind of pedals, battery powered? A/C powered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Schatten posted:

Details? What kind of pedals, battery powered? A/C powered?

Big Bass Muff and a Korg Pitchblack MK II (I think) tuner. Both just plain don't work anymore. Not with a battery or a power source. No idea whats wrong, I opened the Muff and nothing looked damaged to my untrained eye. Haven't opened the tuner yet.

I know next to nothing about electronic though so it could be something really simple.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'd worry about my power supply if I were you... were you running them off batteries before they died, or off a DC brick? If they've just been surged it could be something really simple to repair...

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Ackbarf posted:

I'd worry about my power supply if I were you... were you running them off batteries before they died, or off a DC brick? If they've just been surged it could be something really simple to repair...

Good call. I've seen a whole 6-10 pedal pedalboard fried in a single unfortunate surge. Sucks rear end.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Does anyone have experience with baby Hartke amps? I could only get a glimpse through a pawnshop window today, so I have no model name or approximate time of manufacture. It should have a 10" speaker at the most, I'd say. I'd use it for miking various bass models at both clean and breaking-point volumes. Would be grateful for any info re. personal experience with these things.

e: The same shop has a (new) Chinese-made 3/4-size double bass for the ridiculous amount of ~$600 US. I know that quality-wise this should amount to a cardboard box with strings, but I think I want it just the same. Anyone used (been a victim of) one of these things? I don't care about the sound, 'cause I can work on certain things myself, but will it last longer than a year or so?

Underflow fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 19, 2010

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm learning the Cake version of I Will Survive and it's mostly a lot of roots, octaves, minor sevenths and fifths - when you're playing this kind of thing do you tend to keep a bar going with your first finger (for the roots and 7ths) or just fret the notes as they come? It's fairly fast and my tendency is to fret them individually, I'm just wondering if I'm making it harder on myself by not keeping my finger in one place

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

baka kaba posted:

I'm learning the Cake version of I Will Survive and it's mostly a lot of roots, octaves, minor sevenths and fifths - when you're playing this kind of thing do you tend to keep a bar going with your first finger (for the roots and 7ths) or just fret the notes as they come? It's fairly fast and my tendency is to fret them individually, I'm just wondering if I'm making it harder on myself by not keeping my finger in one place

I don't bar on this bass line, and it doesn't look like their bassist does either from the youtube video I found

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
While dicking around just a moment ago I became curious as to how you guys physically play basic root-5th-octave power chords. I always use my index finger for the root and pinky for the 5th and octave, but sometimes it's awkward and kind of a strain to quickly shift into that position...not like power chords are common on bass anyway, but...I dunno, does anyone make use of three fingers for that?

Actually, I always use my pinky for playing the 5th or octave (when available) even when not chording. I stick to one-finger-per-fret generally but find this to be way more comfortable, but I don't know if this might be a bad habit developing. Do you think I should be using the ring finger more often?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Underflow posted:

e: The same shop has a (new) Chinese-made 3/4-size double bass for the ridiculous amount of ~$600 US. I know that quality-wise this should amount to a cardboard box with strings, but I think I want it just the same. Anyone used (been a victim of) one of these things? I don't care about the sound, 'cause I can work on certain things myself, but will it last longer than a year or so?

Can you get a name brand? Some Chinese brands are actually very good if you know a good setup guy, in particular Shen.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Achtane posted:

While dicking around just a moment ago I became curious as to how you guys physically play basic root-5th-octave power chords. I always use my index finger for the root and pinky for the 5th and octave, but sometimes it's awkward and kind of a strain to quickly shift into that position...not like power chords are common on bass anyway, but...I dunno, does anyone make use of three fingers for that?

Actually, I always use my pinky for playing the 5th or octave (when available) even when not chording. I stick to one-finger-per-fret generally but find this to be way more comfortable, but I don't know if this might be a bad habit developing. Do you think I should be using the ring finger more often?

Whatever floats your boat, really. I use my pinky quite a bit, especially on the lower end of the neck, because my hands aren't crazy big. In the upper register, I use my ring finger more because the frets are closer together. I mix it up quite a bit, and I guess it probably varies based on what I am playing before or after, if I need one finger or the other for a certain thing. The more you mix it up, the stronger and more leathery all of your fingers will get! Also it is super fun to pluck all of the strings in a power chord at the same time rather than strum them, which is called a double stop or triple stop, depending on how many notes you are playing. Bottom line, whatever is most comfortable and sounds best is probably the right way, though I am sure there are folks who disagree with that.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Noise Machine posted:

Can you get a name brand? Some Chinese brands are actually very good if you know a good setup guy, in particular Shen.

That sounds promising, thanks. I'll go back as soon as they're open again and check. I've done some violin and cello set-up work in the past, so with a little luck I can work on it myself if needed. drat, you really got my hopes up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plastic Snake posted:

I don't bar on this bass line, and it doesn't look like their bassist does either from the youtube video I found

Ah right, that's good to know - it's more of a general question though, this kind of playing seems to come up a lot (especially in funk lines) and a lot of videos I've seen have people casually barring with their first finger, which is tough for me but seems to make it easier to play stuff quickly. I'm still new to bass so I don't want to take any technique shortcuts if possible!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

baka kaba posted:

Ah right, that's good to know - it's more of a general question though, this kind of playing seems to come up a lot (especially in funk lines) and a lot of videos I've seen have people casually barring with their first finger, which is tough for me but seems to make it easier to play stuff quickly. I'm still new to bass so I don't want to take any technique shortcuts if possible!

I'd recommend studying Gary Willis' Progressive Bassics, there are 7 videos of the whole thing on youtube. It mainly focus's on 3 finger plucking technique and good form with your fretting hand. Might not sound like it would be all that useful, but I wish I could have seen this when I started playing. Alot of bass players will leave there plucking hand up to its own thing when playing faster lines. Even though your probably not going to be playing scales lightning fast right now, its good to see these things early. He makes everything look so insanely easy, his hands hardly even move when hes switching positions.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

baka kaba posted:

I have honestly never heard of anyone using a barring technique on bass. I thought that was strictly a guitar thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of effects I should be looking at to get a tone like Peter Hook has on the Joy Division records? I recently started playing that stuff with a pick and that definitely makes a difference, especially for Atmosphere(even though I can play pretty quickly with my fingers, the bridge just did not sound right), but it's still not really the same at all. There's this dirty sound he has that I'm not sure what effect it is.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 20, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Nail Rat posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of effects I should be looking at to get a tone like Peter Hook has on the Joy Division records? I recently started playing that stuff with a pick and that definitely makes a difference, especially for Atmosphere(even though I can play pretty quickly with my fingers, the bridge just did not sound right), but it's still not really the same at all. There's this dirty sound he has that I'm not sure what effect it is.

The main component of his sound was a Rickenbacker 4001, although his was actually a Hondo II (early Korean brand) copy. I had the chance to play one of those copies, and own a real 4001 myself - the copy was a little dirtier sounding. The sound of those basses, especially when played with a pick near the bridge and with only the treble p-u selected is pretty unique. It doesn't really matter what amp you use.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Underflow posted:

The main component of his sound was a Rickenbacker 4001, although his was actually a Hondo II (early Korean brand) copy. I had the chance to play one of those copies, and own a real 4001 myself - the copy was a little dirtier sounding. The sound of those basses, especially when played with a pick near the bridge and with only the treble p-u selected is pretty unique. It doesn't really matter what amp you use.

Well poo poo. Guess I have more impetus to move on from baby's first ibanez within the next year or so, then. Thanks for the info!

edit: Actually, while it's not a Rick for sure, playing with a pick near the bridge on my bass instead of where I was(around the pickups) actually gets me a tone that's closer to what I'm looking for, so thanks again, at least it's a step in the right direction.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 21, 2010

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My new GKmb115 combo has just begun to rattle as of last night. I assumed at the time it was the stack of junk I had resting on the amp, but today I realized that most of the low notes on E, A, and D register a really obnoxious rattle. Could this be a DIY repair or am I gonna have to bring it in :smith:

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

My new GKmb115 combo has just begun to rattle as of last night. I assumed at the time it was the stack of junk I had resting on the amp, but today I realized that most of the low notes on E, A, and D register a really obnoxious rattle. Could this be a DIY repair or am I gonna have to bring it in :smith:

I had this problem with mine, and it turned out to be the GK logo on the front grill coming loose. I just took it off. You could probably tighten the screws on it or something, though.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
So I'm looking to lighten my current rig. I haven't played shows in years and I really don't have the space for my setup.

Right now I'm running a Mesa 400+ to an Ampeg BXT 410. I think I've already decided on a Sansamp RBI/power amp with a 210 speaker set. My thinking is that this is small enough to haul around to practice spots without much trouble and if I end up playing more shows I can just DI the RBI.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on a decent and not too heavy power amp? I've been a tube guy most of my life and have no idea what to even look for. I'll take any suggestions for a good 210 too. I've been running with nothing but Ampeg speakers for a long time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Juaguocio posted:

I have honestly never heard of anyone using a barring technique on bass. I thought that was strictly a guitar thing.

Well drat it, now I feel like a dumbass. I'm sure I read it in a few places, varying pressure with your first finger to fret different strings without having to move it, now all I can find is the chorus of some dude's Hysteria cover :saddowns:.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Sacred Cow posted:

My question is, does anyone have any advice on a decent and not too heavy power amp? I've been a tube guy most of my life and have no idea what to even look for. I'll take any suggestions for a good 210 too. I've been running with nothing but Ampeg speakers for a long time.
At one time I was trying to reduce gear to haul around and reduce gear space. I was headed in the direction of a Line6 XTLive + Power amp + speakers, but ended up going with a Mark Bass CMD102P, which is the 2x10 combo with an LMII head. Works well for small to medium sized venues. Pushes 300watts and more with an extra cab. Small, compact and only 42 pounds. Nothing to worry about - only an input cord, power cord and a DI to the board.

I haven't gigged with mine in about two years and have pondered selling it. If you are interested, it comes with a vinyl cover (black with yellow piping) and an auralex pad. You don't need the pad, but it helps at home and on gigs too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Well drat it, now I feel like a dumbass. I'm sure I read it in a few places, varying pressure with your first finger to fret different strings without having to move it, now all I can find is the chorus of some dude's Hysteria cover :saddowns:.

I bar sometimes when I play - off the top of my head, I can think of a few songs where I always bar. Don't worry about it. If it helps you, do it. No one's gonna call you out on it. I did it before I learned to play guitar at all, too.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Randel Candygram posted:

I had this problem with mine, and it turned out to be the GK logo on the front grill coming loose. I just took it off. You could probably tighten the screws on it or something, though.

Did you just rip the logo off?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Sacred Cow posted:

http://www.peavey.com/products/ipr/index.cfm

There's a very light power amp.

I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 12" combo and I have yet to find a venue where the amp doesn't cut it. More often than not, I just DI out of it and use it as a personal bass monitor. Maybe I'm just lucky that I've been playing places that have a decent sound set-up.

Randel Candygram
Jun 21, 2008

College Slice

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

Did you just rip the logo off?

I took off the front grill, unscrewed the logo from the back, and it just came right off. No ripping or mangling was involved.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

So I'm looking to lighten my current rig. I haven't played shows in years and I really don't have the space for my setup.

Right now I'm running a Mesa 400+ to an Ampeg BXT 410. I think I've already decided on a Sansamp RBI/power amp with a 210 speaker set. My thinking is that this is small enough to haul around to practice spots without much trouble and if I end up playing more shows I can just DI the RBI.

I'd also recommend taking a close look at the Markbass offerings. They all have DI built in, the newer Little Mark III's have a line out volume control, and to top it all off they sound as smooth or glassy or however you want them to sound - the EQ is really powerful and they take effects/amp emulators really well (VT bass, the Flipster for instance). Not to mention, 500 watts in under 8 lbs.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Manky posted:

I bar sometimes when I play - off the top of my head, I can think of a few songs where I always bar. Don't worry about it. If it helps you, do it. No one's gonna call you out on it. I did it before I learned to play guitar at all, too.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that barring isn't practical, or that it might not work for you- I have just personally never felt the need to, and I haven't seen many players do so either.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Randel Candygram posted:

I took off the front grill, unscrewed the logo from the back, and it just came right off. No ripping or mangling was involved.

The first thing I did was take out the 5 visible screws inside the grill, but the grill still won't shake off even with some tough love. Do I have to remove some of these outer screws? I just don't want to hurt my baby :smith:

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
I actually bar pretty often, but not with my index finger. When playing octaves with the high note on the G string, a lot of times I'll fret it with the first knuckle on my pinky, giving myself the option of barring to the fifth right below if it I want. When I hit the low note (on the A string) with my index finger, my pinky naturally comes across those strings when it's relaxed, so I don't even have to really move my hand much.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Rifter17 posted:

http://www.peavey.com/products/ipr/index.cfm

There's a very light power amp.

Speaking of Peavey, I got a MAX 115 in a trade and while built like a tank (about 60 pounds) and no doubt powerful... it's EXTREMELY muddy sounding which I did not realize until later. Reviews online are widely diverse from "this is awesome" to "drat this thing is sludgy". It's not bad, just not great.

I need to go amp hunting.

Toast of Change
Nov 30, 2007
Once you pull the lever, you can never return...
Okay, probably stupid question time. I just got my first bass and have started to play around with it, and I'm wondering if I can do one finger per fret at all. Every time I've told musician friends of mine that I wanted to try playing, I heard that my hands were too small (yet none of them were bassists :downs: ). To be fair, they're tiny. 6 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my longest finger. I can barely even reach the E string with my pinky when I'm playing OFPF, let alone produce a pure-sounding note, and I'm not sure if I just have a longer way to go in finger strength and dexterity than other players or if I should try something else entirely. Am I wasting my time trying to learn it or is there another style I should be looking into?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Toast of Change posted:

Okay, probably stupid question time. I just got my first bass and have started to play around with it, and I'm wondering if I can do one finger per fret at all. Every time I've told musician friends of mine that I wanted to try playing, I heard that my hands were too small (yet none of them were bassists :downs: ). To be fair, they're tiny. 6 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my longest finger. I can barely even reach the E string with my pinky when I'm playing OFPF, let alone produce a pure-sounding note, and I'm not sure if I just have a longer way to go in finger strength and dexterity than other players or if I should try something else entirely. Am I wasting my time trying to learn it or is there another style I should be looking into?

Use it when you can, when comfortable. I don't have very large hands myself, and I don't always use 1-for-1 fretting. I will if I'm up say past the 5th to 7th fret where things start to narrow-out a bit more.

Is it necessary for "good" technique? No. Is it useful and helps develop pinky-strength, absolutely!

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Toast of Change posted:

It'll happen easier and easier over time and after a couple years you'll be able to stretch noticeably further, for sure.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can someone give me any tips on how to get a good sound tone wise from playing bass?

I'm primarily a guitarist, but I've been playing bass more for a recording project, I just have no idea how to go about getting a "good tone".

To clarify, it reminds me of when I first picked up a guitar and know what a pickup selector switch does, but having no idea if for rock I should be playing with it up or down (neck pickup is bassier and bass is good right?) or when I started tweaking an amp and the months I spent thinking turning your presence up full and your mids to zero is a good sound. I eventually got a feel for it but I dont have any reference in terms of bass sound and since I'm not likely to be playing out with a band as a bassist I'm not going to pick it up that way like I did with guitar.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Three Red Lights posted:

Can someone give me any tips on how to get a good sound tone wise from playing bass?

I'm primarily a guitarist, but I've been playing bass more for a recording project, I just have no idea how to go about getting a "good tone".

To clarify, it reminds me of when I first picked up a guitar and know what a pickup selector switch does, but having no idea if for rock I should be playing with it up or down (neck pickup is bassier and bass is good right?) or when I started tweaking an amp and the months I spent thinking turning your presence up full and your mids to zero is a good sound. I eventually got a feel for it but I dont have any reference in terms of bass sound and since I'm not likely to be playing out with a band as a bassist I'm not going to pick it up that way like I did with guitar.

"Good tone" is incredibly subjective... But depending on what kind of music you're playing and what kind of bass you're working with, you can definitely make it "sound better."

What kind of bass is it?

Edit: And for the most part, good tone comes from good technique; being able to sound and mute notes well, etc.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 24, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its just a cheapo pawn shop bass, but it plays fine.

I'm mainly just looking for some eqing tips for a nice warm rock sound that doesent crap all over everything else in the mix. Should I start by boosting midrange? Cutting treble? What?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you boost the midrange the bass will be more audible to the listener. Whether you want this or not depends on what sound you are going for. Very subjective.

I recommend imagining how you want the bass to sound and experimenting with your technique until it sounds that way. Then you can EQ it to fit in the mix the way you want. Once again experimenting is the key.

If you want something warm that you can feel more than hear the notes of clearly, then try picking closer to the neck and removing some treble and maybe some mids according to taste. May not be what you were going for at all though.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Three Red Lights posted:

I'm mainly just looking for some eqing tips for a nice warm rock sound that doesent crap all over everything else in the mix. Should I start by boosting midrange? Cutting treble? What?

For that kind of sound, on the amp side I usually turn treble up, mids way down, bass a little low, and on the bass I turn the neck pickup low and the bridge pickup high. Somewhere in that area I get what I like, a pretty nice warm thump.

But yeah, it all depends on style of play/bass hardware/amp hardware. Take some time to dick around, finding what you want is way more likely to come from trial and error than any magical formula from a bunch of goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Manky posted:

For that kind of sound, on the amp side I usually turn treble up, mids way down, bass a little low, and on the bass I turn the neck pickup low and the bridge pickup high. Somewhere in that area I get what I like, a pretty nice warm thump.

But yeah, it all depends on style of play/bass hardware/amp hardware. Take some time to dick around, finding what you want is way more likely to come from trial and error than any magical formula from a bunch of goons.

See this is a perfect example of how subjective terms like "warm" and "good tone" are. In my mind, those settings are the complete antithesis of "warm" and would find that incredibly bright and biting.

When I hear "warm," I think of vintage tone. Slightly boosted lows, moderately to heavy boosted low-mids, with a very slight to maybe even flat setting for the high-mids, and a slight decrease in the highs.

This is "warm" to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE