Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, the speakers for my computer (an old Boston Acoustics 5.1 set from like 2002) finally poo poo themselves - there's a ton of crackling. So I guess I'm in the market for new speakers. I'm on a pretty strict budget (poor college student), but I'd like something that doesn't sound like crap, preferably of the 2.1 variety, since I have nowhere to put rear speakers. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
If you can scrounge up the cash, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 pretty much blows away everything else, and even gives full sterio setups a run for their money.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nomenclature posted:

If you can scrounge up the cash, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 pretty much blows away everything else, and even gives full sterio setups a run for their money.

I have a home theater set up in the same room (it's a Panasonic SA-HT40) would connecting it to my computer with a fiber optic cable be a good solution? Just trying to figure the cheapest way out of this.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KillHour posted:

I have a home theater set up in the same room (it's a Panasonic SA-HT40) would connecting it to my computer with a fiber optic cable be a good solution? Just trying to figure the cheapest way out of this.

Why didn't you mention that in the first place?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10229&spcWord=Audio+Cables+-+Optical+Toslink&keyword=toslink

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't think about it, since I'm a retard. The front speakers are to my right, though. Wouldn't that sound weird playing games?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

What's the best value 5.1 or 7.1/2 receiver? I'm looking to spend under a grand for the whole setup including speakers, so I've been looking at Onkyo (which I have been recommended). This is just going to be replacing a cheap-o 2.1 setup I currently have on my TV.

I'm guessing 5.1 is on its way out, so I'm probably not going to find some great deals on those, and 9.2 seems way to expensive and overkill for what I want.

I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-SR508 and Onkyo HT-RC260, any word on the two of them?

I don't know if I'll even use a 7 speaker setup at the moment, so a Onkyo TX-SR308 might be better, but if I get the 7 speaker setup I could always just expand on it in the future...

Also open to recommendations on any other recievers, like Pioneers or Denons.

I'm tech savvy but don't know a lot about sound systems, so I'm kinda in the dark here.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 14, 2010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
So my Cambridge Audio A3 made a loud popping noise today and the transistor has cracked in two, apparently not economic to repair.

I want a new amp so I can listen to 128k MP3's through my existing crappy speakers that came free with a Denon integrated Midi system. I don't mind if it sounds awful, I don't mind if it looks awful, and I would prefer it if I could find it second hand, but I cannot afford more than £30 and I would preferably like to spend less.

When I say this people seem to be absolutely horrified, and the last shop I called tried to persuade me to instead buy something that cost eight hundred pounds.

Surely two transistor amps, a heatsink, and a few capacitors must be available for less than the £50 that even second hand Cambridge Audio A3's go for?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zegnar posted:

So my Cambridge Audio A3 made a loud popping noise today and the transistor has cracked in two, apparently not economic to repair.

I want a new amp so I can listen to 128k MP3's through my existing crappy speakers that came free with a Denon integrated Midi system. I don't mind if it sounds awful, I don't mind if it looks awful, and I would prefer it if I could find it second hand, but I cannot afford more than £30 and I would preferably like to spend less.

When I say this people seem to be absolutely horrified, and the last shop I called tried to persuade me to instead buy something that cost eight hundred pounds.

Surely two transistor amps, a heatsink, and a few capacitors must be available for less than the £50 that even second hand Cambridge Audio A3's go for?

For that kind of budget, look at some of the t-amps from china all over eBay. They're all based on the same Tripath chip, and built straight from the same manufacturers spec sheet. Not wall-shakingly powerful, but they work.

An example that comes up just searching "t-amp" http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripath-TA2020-...#ht_4617wt_1137

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

For that kind of budget, look at some of the t-amps from china all over eBay. They're all based on the same Tripath chip, and built straight from the same manufacturers spec sheet. Not wall-shakingly powerful, but they work.

An example that comes up just searching "t-amp" http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripath-TA2020-...#ht_4617wt_1137

Thanks I've found a used 'Lepai 550' for £4 shipped :)

So by the Monster Cables formula that means I should leave 40p for interconnects... for once that sounds about right!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kaboobi posted:

What's the best value 5.1 or 7.1/2 receiver? I'm looking to spend under a grand for the whole setup including speakers, so I've been looking at Onkyo (which I have been recommended). This is just going to be replacing a cheap-o 2.1 setup I currently have on my TV.

I'm guessing 5.1 is on its way out, so I'm probably not going to find some great deals on those, and 9.2 seems way to expensive and overkill for what I want.

I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-SR508 and Onkyo HT-RC260, any word on the two of them?

I don't know if I'll even use a 7 speaker setup at the moment, so a Onkyo TX-SR308 might be better, but if I get the 7 speaker setup I could always just expand on it in the future...

Also open to recommendations on any other recievers, like Pioneers or Denons.

I'm tech savvy but don't know a lot about sound systems, so I'm kinda in the dark here.

There's a "Best receiver under $500" thread in this subforum. I'm still in love with my Pioneer 9040TXH, but I don't think there's a 2010-equivalent.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

eddiewalker posted:

There's a "Best receiver under $500" thread in this subforum. I'm still in love with my Pioneer 9040TXH, but I don't think there's a 2010-equivalent.

Didn't even see that, thanks!

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Can anyone suggest a sound effects site where I can either purchase or find free downloads? Specifically, I'm looking for rain and thunder sounds. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm more concerned about quality than price, really.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Where can I find a male to male headphone cord that won't break at the jack after a month?

I plug my phone into my cars stereo and each cable I use only ever lasts me about a month before the wires breaks inside the insulation right at the jack, it's rather annoying as it doesn't matter how I baby it, they always last a month.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ashex posted:

Where can I find a male to male headphone cord that won't break at the jack after a month?

I plug my phone into my cars stereo and each cable I use only ever lasts me about a month before the wires breaks inside the insulation right at the jack, it's rather annoying as it doesn't matter how I baby it, they always last a month.

Are you buying straight jacks, or 90 degree bent jacks? If you've been using one, try the other. I've used the same one that I bought for like 1.99 at radio shack for like 4 years now. Maybe you need to find a heavy duty cable or something.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

Are you buying straight jacks, or 90 degree bent jacks? If you've been using one, try the other. I've used the same one that I bought for like 1.99 at radio shack for like 4 years now. Maybe you need to find a heavy duty cable or something.

I tried using a 90-degree bent jack last time around and had the same issue. Would temperature be a factor? It's pretty cold in the morning when I first plug it in so that cable is a bit stiff.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ashex posted:

I tried using a 90-degree bent jack last time around and had the same issue. Would temperature be a factor? It's pretty cold in the morning when I first plug it in so that cable is a bit stiff.

Well, I'm in Michigan and never had that problem, so I doubt it's temperature. Are you really rough with them? Do you pull them out by the wire or by the plug?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

Well, I'm in Michigan and never had that problem, so I doubt it's temperature. Are you really rough with them? Do you pull them out by the wire or by the plug?

I generally pull it out by the jack (should mention that sometimes the phone slides off the seat onto the ground which might jerk the cable) and leave it sitting on the seat. I've been using standard computer audio cables since they're a bit thicker which I figured would help. Odd thing is when I had a cassette adapter I used the same one for 5 years before I got this stereo now I'm replacing cables every 1-2 months :(

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Ashex posted:

I generally pull it out by the jack (should mention that sometimes the phone slides off the seat onto the ground which might jerk the cable) and leave it sitting on the seat. I've been using standard computer audio cables since they're a bit thicker which I figured would help. Odd thing is when I had a cassette adapter I used the same one for 5 years before I got this stereo now I'm replacing cables every 1-2 months :(

Maybe you broke the plug in your stereo or something? That seems really crazy.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

This might be obvious, but if you are pulling the plugs straight out, try rotating them back and forth as you are pulling to minimize the force that you need.

Otherwise, it sounds like a bad jack or plug. I would grab a cheap M-F extension cable from DealExtreme or MonoPrice, leave it plugged into your stereo and plug your headphones into that. If you keep breaking cables, your headphone plug is bad. If it stops, your stereo’s jack was bad.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Nomenclature posted:

This might be obvious, but if you are pulling the plugs straight out, try rotating them back and forth as you are pulling to minimize the force that you need.

Otherwise, it sounds like a bad jack or plug. I would grab a cheap M-F extension cable from DealExtreme or MonoPrice, leave it plugged into your stereo and plug your headphones into that. If you keep breaking cables, your headphone plug is bad. If it stops, your stereo’s jack was bad.

I'll try rotating as I pull out to see if that helps. The cable I'm using started going out so I plugged the bad one in the stereo, loosely wrapped the cable around the cup holder and plugged the good one into my phone and it's working fine. If I touch the other side I get static and either channel cuts out so I'm pretty sure the stereo is fine. I've got a M-F extension cable that came with some headphones that has a really nice synthetic fabric sleeving so it's pretty flexible, I'll find a replacement cable and try that out.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 18, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Currently researching out a 3.1 setup for $600, only caveat is that the center channel has to be less than 4" high to fit on the fireplace mantle below the TV. Mounting the TV any higher means we'd have to lean our heads head back pretty far, current height is comfortable. Receiver is an Onkyo TXSR607 just passing audio to TV speakers currently. I already have 16ga wire ran for speakers, and RG-6 Quad with RCA ends ran for the sub. Room diagram is below, has a vaulted ceiling with the peak going in the tv-couch axis. Due to WAF and room layout, that is the only place the sub can go. Will eventually add in-wall rears to bring it up to 5.1.

Infinity Primus P162s for L/R
Bose VCS-10 Center Channel
Infinity PS28 Side-Firing Sub

Are there other options that would give me a better bang for the buck?

Edit: Room is 20x15

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 21, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You really should voice match your L/R and center speakers [note that I'm not advocating Bose], there's a lot of shared material between them. That said you're not going to be able to voice match much of anything 4" or less high with main speakers with 8" drivers.

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?

Eight Is Legend posted:

Sorry to repost, but can no one help me with this?

I've got these exact speakers. What you are calling the receiver is really just the control unit for the whole system - there's no receiver to speak of in this system. The amp is inside the subwoofer itself.

Is your control unit just not getting any power at all (no lights)? I don't think you'll be able to find a replacement for it since that connector is proprietary. A quick google search tells me that the control unit is pretty much impossible to buy. Check your actual power plug that's plugged into the wall if you haven't already. I've knocked mine loose a couple times.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
I'm looking at buying this receiver and home theatre set up but it only has one HDMI output.

This is a problem as I have different settings on my TV for games and movies. The settings are saved but input, and I don't want to be swapping the HDMI lead from one slot to another everytime I want to watch a film or play a game. I'd rather not go through the menus to adjust the settings each time either.

Looking around, it seems the best way to solve this problem would be with an HDMI splitter as that will be much cheaper than purchasing a receiver with multiple HDMI outputs.

Is a splitter the best solution to my problem? Are there any issues with splitters that I should be aware of? I guess another option would be to find a Home Theatre set up with two or more HDMI outputs but am I likely to find that for around the same price as this?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Amused Frog posted:

I guess another option would be to find a Home Theatre set up with two or more HDMI outputs but am I likely to find that for around the same price as this?

You'll probably have to pay double the price. When I surveyed the situation 6 months ago, 2 HDMI outs were very expensive.

A decent enough splitter is around $30. Don't get the cheapest, don't get one without reviews, get one which can send signal to both outs at the same time without fiddling and if you run into trouble, return the splitter without analyzing it too much and get something else.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Hob_Gadling posted:

You'll probably have to pay double the price. When I surveyed the situation 6 months ago, 2 HDMI outs were very expensive.

A decent enough splitter is around $30. Don't get the cheapest, don't get one without reviews, get one which can send signal to both outs at the same time without fiddling and if you run into trouble, return the splitter without analyzing it too much and get something else.

Thanks very much. I'll start looking.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Is there such thing as an insertable volume wheel for 6.35mm headphones? I want something like those volume wheels you get on cheap airline headphones, but which can be placed between headphones and the source to change the volume.

If not, is using a 3.5mm wheel with two 6.35mm adapters (one for each side) going to damage sound quality? I don't know why the separate sizes exist, so I don't know how useful those adapters are.

This is to reduce the volume on a digital piano's headphone output, if that helps.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Janin posted:

Is there such thing as an insertable volume wheel for 6.35mm headphones? I want something like those volume wheels you get on cheap airline headphones, but which can be placed between headphones and the source to change the volume.

If not, is using a 3.5mm wheel with two 6.35mm adapters (one for each side) going to damage sound quality? I don't know why the separate sizes exist, so I don't know how useful those adapters are.

This is to reduce the volume on a digital piano's headphone output, if that helps.

1/4" and 1/8" TRS are electrically identical. The smaller 1/8" is more fragile, but that's a compromise made to keep portable gear small. Realistically, you're not going to notice any degradation in quality, or harm anything in any way.

Does the piano not have a volume control? If it does and you're just wanting to do this so that two people can listen but at different volumes, something like this is the right way to do it: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rolls-HA43-Stereo-Headphone-Amp?sku=483850&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26040294

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 26, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

eddiewalker posted:

1/4" and 1/8" TRS are electrically identical. The smaller 1/8" is more fragile, but that's a compromise made to keep portable gear small.

Realistically, you're not going to notice any degradation in quality, or harm anything in any way.
So the only difference between the sizes is one's harder to break? That sounds weird, but helpful! Thanks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Janin posted:

So the only difference between the sizes is one's harder to break? That sounds weird, but helpful! Thanks.

That's the only difference. 1/8" is a relatively recent invention for the walkman-age.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking to buy a 5.1 surround sound system. Nothing too high-end, it's for a very small area and will be used mostly for gaming. Is this a decent one? Does it work well with Logitech Harmony remotes? Anything in that price range with more HDMI inputs? There's a warning in its user manual about unshielded speakers, is that an issue when they're placed near an LCD computer monitor?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
How many HDMI inputs do you need? Fiddling with splitters is really annoying and it's the only way of getting more HDMI inputs barring a new receiver.

It's a decent set (I think quite a lot of goons have already bought it based on recommendations here, maybe one of them is reading this thread), it should work with Harmony and unshielded speakers shouldn't damage LCD monitors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have 4 HDMI devices: A Tivo, 2 consoles, and soon one of the new Apple TVs. I'd like to have them all connected at once, but pushing one of them down to component wouldn't be the end of the world since I can have the Harmony take care of all the input switching.

Thanks, I'll almost certainly get it now!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

qirex posted:

You really should voice match your L/R and center speakers [note that I'm not advocating Bose], there's a lot of shared material between them. That said you're not going to be able to voice match much of anything 4" or less high with main speakers with 8" drivers.

Went and browsed the audio demo area of the company I work for, and the Polk Blackstone TL1600 set caught my eye, primarily because of the center channel being the right size. Cranked it up with some Batman Begins, and i'm sold. Gonna pick up a set tomorrow, the basically 50% employee discount on it doesn't hurt either. :D

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I have 4 HDMI devices

I'd rather get a HDMI 2-to-1 connector than connect anything with component. Just connect the two least used devices to Onkyo with it and you're set.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd rather get a HDMI 2-to-1 connector than connect anything with component. Just connect the two least used devices to Onkyo with it and you're set.

You can get a 1 to 2 HDMI "Y" adapter, but the other way around? Considering handshaking and CEC signals, HDMI is a two way street. If you had two output devices plugged into one display or receiver port, and the TV or receiver issued an "on" command, which device would respond, which would display, etc?

Even though sometimes it works, improperly Y-ing analog signals into one input isn't a good idea. With HDMI there are good reasons that for needing a real switch.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 27, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Xbox 360 does most of the gaming, so it gets HDMI. The PS3 is the Blu-Ray player, so it gets HDMI. The Apple TV is HDMI only, so it gets HDMI (it will be used for streaming Netflix and HD content from the computer). The Tivo is just displaying lovely Time Warner digital cable, so it can get busted down to component. Problem solved.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 27, 2010

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Even though sometimes it works, improperly Y-ing analog signals into one input isn't a good idea. With HDMI there are good reasons that for needing a real switch.

You're completely right, adapters are for analog stuff and switches for digital. Still, something like this solves the problem of having to mess with anything except HDMI. I swear I tried so very hard to get my own receiver to work with other cables. The first component to give up was my special other who just wanted to watch movies and thus forced me to go shopping.

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.
I'm trying to get hold of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set now that I've decided my room is too small for a proper setup of bookshelf speakers, but they seem to be nonexistant in the UK. I'm not sure if I even want to look at getting them shipped internationally with the weight/possible warranty issues.

Any UK/EU people had luck finding them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

WizardShotFood posted:

I'm trying to get hold of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set now that I've decided my room is too small for a proper setup of bookshelf speakers, but they seem to be nonexistant in the UK. I'm not sure if I even want to look at getting them shipped internationally with the weight/possible warranty issues.

Any UK/EU people had luck finding them?
Klipsch says that they only make a 120V version.