Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Shutting down to relaunch isn't terrible, but the way in which they did it is stupid.

Since I am not interested in Baldur's Gate, it'll be interesting to see what other changes they've made that required them to shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

BigJoe posted:

He means that PC gamers are incredibly weak willed and have no integrity. They constantly cry and complain how X game is dumbed down console trash or Y game is going to fail because it doesn't have dedicated servers or whatever and yet they still keep buying and playing games that they say they hate so much.
That's a pretty gross generalization of an entire community of gamers based on a small subsection who post on forums loudly.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

That's a pretty gross generalization of an entire community of gamers based on a small subsection who post on forums loudly.

Especially given that the same could be said of console gamers. There's no difference at all in the consumer base here. If a whole bunch of console gamers "boycotted" a very popular game on consoles, the same amount would still buy it once it came out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How the gently caress could they even get Baldurs Gate?

I mean, I'd love to see it go up, but uh, its currently in IP hell right now, which is why Bioware hasn't put it on Steam yet. I don't think anyone really knows who has the full rights to the Trilogy, unless that court case between those two companies whose names I forgot but who handle DnD related games got settled with someone getting Baldurs Gate.

Like, I thought Bioware held the publishing rights, but Atari held the IP, and since neither of them want to give it up, the games couldn't be released?

I forgot a bunch, but I remember emailing the hell out of Valve, Atari, and Bioware a few years ago, to see why it wasn't on Steam, and the response I got from all three was basically "Sorry, we don't fully own the whole package, we can't get it up on Steam, although we'd love to", what did GoG do that makes it so they can?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love how it's always when I'm in the mood to buy something (anything) that poo poo doesn't work.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oh look what is this.

E: yeah I thought Optimus were the new owners, couldn't find anything about the old. Well whatever

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 22, 2010

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh look what is this.

E: for easier reading

Good for them!

Oh they'll be known for their services alright :rolleyes:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Node posted:

Why? I don't get this. Baldur's Gate isn't a hard game to purchase at other places. This publicity stunt was loving stupid. I don't think gog.com has lost me as a customer but I definitely will look other places first. I'm taking my pitchfork and ramming it up their asses since that is apparently where their brains are.

It's not a hard game to find, but people like me like having at least most of their games in one place. This "shutdown" hooplah have people buzzing about the service and Baldur's Gate aka One of the Best RPGs Ever coming along with the eventual Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale is icing on the cake.

The only thing that was kind of stupid was taking the site down for a week so people couldn't download their files.

HAIL SATAN
Apr 26, 2007

Eating puppies and giving guns to the poor since 1842
E: ^^:argh:

Node posted:

Why? I don't get this. Baldur's Gate isn't a hard game to purchase at other places. This publicity stunt was loving stupid. I don't think gog.com has lost me as a customer but I definitely will look other places first.

It's not that there's a lack of sources from which to purchase the game, though that might be true in some areas. If that were the case, GOG wouldn't have had much of a customer base to begin with. It's a combination of convenience (guaranteed to work on modern operating systems / sans DRM / no physical media) and renewed interest in the series that would result from being released on a well-known digital distribution platform. Baldur's Gate in particular was near the top of their users' list of requested games for a reason, and I'm willing to bet that a good portion of those votes were from people who already owned the game and would happily plunk down another 6 or 10 bucks just to see it get the GOG treatment.

I definitely agree that they are going about this latest marketing stunt in a profoundly stupid way, and for that I almost hope I'm somehow wrong and that this Baldur's Gate revelation is just their last-ditch effort to troll the living gently caress out of angry nerds before vanishing into the horizon.

quote:

I'm taking my pitchfork and ramming it up their asses since that is apparently where their brains are.

do go on :allears:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Oh look what is this.

E: for easier reading

Good for them!

I don't know what this is supposed to be. Optimus has owned CD Projekt/GOG for years, hasn't it?

Edit: The text itself says 2009. So why were you posting the picture? I don't understand its relevance.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Although this whole thing has been really unpredictable I'd guess that Baldur's Gate is a taster rather than the main event in terms of new games. So people who care enough to comb through it know something good is coming but they've got a big reveal at the Press conference.

Then again the big reveal could be Goatse the way things have gone with this so far.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Some of us are still boycotting. :colbert:

:hf:

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Not really. Every attempt by PC gamers to rally around some kind of cause and use their clout as a market force has met with miserable failure. See Left4Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 2 map packs, etc etc. PC gamers haven't proven themselves capable of affecting anything at all and that's not a generalisation, that's reality. When in recent memory has it ever successfully occurred? Users will go right back to GoG if it relaunches, there'll be no appreciable negative impact on sales, hell the publicity may even replace the tiny minority that do have the backbone to stop using the site out of principle. There will be angry posts on the forums that won't affect sales one bit and that'll be the end of it, because that's always the end of it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm probably gunna buy Icewind Dale when it comes out on gog even though Baldur's Gate 2 bored the hell out of me, purely because I've heard it's more like Torment than BG. Who cares, at most it'll be $10 of disappointing myself again and adding another game to my gog shelf I never play.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Whalley posted:

I'm probably gunna buy Icewind Dale when it comes out on gog even though Baldur's Gate 2 bored the hell out of me, purely because I've heard it's more like Torment than BG. Who cares, at most it'll be $10 of disappointing myself again and adding another game to my gog shelf I never play.
Whoever told you that is using a really weird metric for comparison. Torment is a game where everyone agrees the combat is weak but it's worth it because it's a stellar piece of interactive fiction - and Icewind Dale is an extended dungeon crawl.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Threep posted:

Whoever told you that is using a really weird metric for comparison. Torment is a game where everyone agrees the combat is weak but it's worth it because it's a stellar piece of interactive fiction - and Icewind Dale is an extended dungeon crawl.

Oh, drat. You just saved me ten dollars, buddy.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Icewind Dale does however have an amazing soundtrack, and is probably the only reason I bothered playing that game at all.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Threep posted:

Yeah, Icewind Dale is more like Baldur's Gate with all of the story elements stripped out. It's a pure combat game.

Bats posted:

Icewind Dale does however have an amazing soundtrack, and is probably the only reason I bothered playing that game at all.

Didn't one of the releases come with the soundtrack?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

TotalBiscuit posted:

Not really. Every attempt by PC gamers to rally around some kind of cause and use their clout as a market force has met with miserable failure. See Left4Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 2 map packs, etc etc. PC gamers haven't proven themselves capable of affecting anything at all and that's not a generalisation, that's reality. When in recent memory has it ever successfully occurred? Users will go right back to GoG if it relaunches, there'll be no appreciable negative impact on sales, hell the publicity may even replace the tiny minority that do have the backbone to stop using the site out of principle. There will be angry posts on the forums that won't affect sales one bit and that'll be the end of it, because that's always the end of it.

Consumer boycotts seldom work for anything though. That said PC Gamers still generally get their games cheaper than one would on a console and attempts to make PC multiplayer have a monthly fee have largely failed so it would seem they have more backbone than console gamers. Also the reaction on the Blizzard forums to the real ID thing caused them to back down on the idea within days. Sure PC gamers haven't had many successes but as I say very few consumer boycotts ever achieve anything.

At the end of the day its very hard to deny yourself luxury goods on rather minor matters of principle. Boycotts of Apartheid South Africa and more recently Israel work to an extent because of the knowledge that your purchase of a luxury good from there contributes to actual human suffering, theres a strong disinsentive. This is very much the exception. Not buying because a map pack costs too much or because an online store went down for a few days? Most people have more important things to worry about.

Duckandor
Aug 7, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I don't know what this is supposed to be. Optimus has owned CD Projekt/GOG for years, hasn't it?

Edit: The text itself says 2009. So why were you posting the picture? I don't understand its relevance.

There is a Prospectus on the Optimus Site that was approved 30 August 2010.

Here are some quotes from it

quote:

Group strategy in this segment is assumed to build on the basis of recognizable and acceptable to have gog.com service, global digital distribution platform for their games, as well as other games producers, issued under license. This will allow not only to significantly increase profit margins by reducing costs, but will also increase revenue from license fees when selling their own games. At the same time launch of this segment will provide distribution Group a significant competitive advantage at the time of shifting the focus from distribution traditional to digital.

and

quote:

Ultimately gog.com page may serve as a platform for the distribution of games produced by
Group.

quote:

Digital distribution of computer games

The market for digital distribution of games on GOG Ltd. which operates in the recent past shows dynamic growth - particularly in the U.S. of America and Western Europe, which markets are the main sources of revenue GOG Ltd.
Due to an innovative business model and addressing niche classic games, in which competitionLtd. to offer the GOG is very limited, GOG Ltd. looks forward to continuing the upward trend. The Company does not have stocks. Products traded are based on licenses purchased - in this Ltd., the GOG does not provide for significant increases (increase in licensing costs should remain
at a level corresponding to the increase in sales revenue).

Other operating expenses increased slightly with increasing speed - GOG Ltd. provides for the continuation of this trend.

Due to the limited competition in the segment structure of the classic games, money has not change in the near future is not expected to change in current prices (current price thresholds is USD 5.99 and USD 9.99 per game).

No idea if any of this is relevant or has been discussed before. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

Duckandor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

TotalBiscuit posted:

I would add that this just makes PC gamers seem to be the bitter and self-entitled stereotype people accuse them off. That's why when something happens that actually deserves to have genuine fury (like Ubisoft's always-online DRM attempts), a lot of the console-centric news sites and podcasts still either mock the outrage or just shrug their shoulders in their coverage, because the PC gaming community cried wolf so many times in the past that it's hard to tell what actually is a big deal.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

TotalBiscuit posted:

Boycotts never work because most of the people who try to rally and boycott games are part of a vocal minority whose wheelhouse is overreacting and being angry on the Internet. The majority of consumers aren't obsessive enough to care.

But GOG has such a niche audience that maybe there might actually be consequences this time.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

TotalBiscuit posted:

Every attempt by PC gamers to rally around some kind of cause and use their clout as a market force has met with miserable failure.
Not entirely true. With Dwarf Fortress for example it worked perfectly fine. :)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

xarph posted:

I wouldn't say that they refused to support 64-bit, more like the DRM wrapper they used on all the windows games (I want to say it was from a company called Excel, but searching for 'excel drm' just comes up with tons of people using the wrong tool for the job) couldn't support 64-bit windows.

Exent. Exent was Gametap's original DRM provider. All PC games that support 64-bit were encoded by another vendor named Yummy. (Whose DRM was far superior since it supported modding as well.)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 22, 2010

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

emoticon posted:

Boycotts never work because most of the people who try to rally and boycott games are part of a vocal minority whose wheelhouse is overreacting and being angry on the Internet. The majority of consumers aren't obsessive enough to care.

But GOG has such a niche audience that maybe there might actually be consequences this time.

It has a niche audience because it's cornered a niche market. Sorry, but if you want your old games ready to go in Windows then you can't take your buisness anywhere else.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

macnbc posted:

Exent. Exent was Gametap's original DRM provider. All PC games that support 64-bit were encoded by another vendor named Yummy. (Whose DRM was far superior since it supported modding as well.)

Yeah, it really sucks to hear that Gametap has been so mismanaged, but ever since Metaboli dumped Exent and moved to the new DRM wrapper system, I've been really happy with it. Pretty much the only file you're not allowed to mod/play with is the main EXE, just like Steam.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Alchenar posted:

It has a niche audience because it's cornered a niche market. Sorry, but if you want your old games ready to go in Windows then you can't take your buisness anywhere else.

You can take your business nowhere, which hurts them just as much.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

emoticon posted:

Exactly. Hardcore PC gaming nerds made a huge hooplah about MW2, judging by internet message boards you'd think it was the biggest thing in history and that the entire audience wasn't going to buy it, then MW2 broke all sorts of day-one dales records because internet message board people are just a ridiculously vocal minority.

Games are a business. When you pirate or "boycott" games all you're doing is making it so that games that target you are less feasible. That's why "mainstream" gaming is so popular: you could craft a deep, complex, beautiful game and nerds will still pirate it because they're entitled babies, but if you make a game that targets people too technologically inexperienced or moral to pirate you'll make a ton of money because they actually buy things.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Skeezy posted:

I could care less if this was all for publicity. I never played Baldur's Gate so I'm going to buy it once GOG reopens :colbert:

Me too, is one of those mandatory classics I missed.

Even though I did pirated it a couple of times in the past,, I never got around to play it.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Now if GoG could go the whole mile and bundle BG1 + expansions, BG2, and Throne of Baal in a ready to go tutu package I would be on it the second it reopens... and the second after I finish backing up my installers.

Edit to avoid thread de-rail:

There's nothing like taking a level 1 monk from a pussy who runs around kiting ogres and tossing the odd dart to a badass quivering palm mage destroyer.

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 22, 2010

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

synertia posted:

Now if GoG could go the whole mile and bundle BG1 + expansions, BG2, and Throne of Baal in a ready to go tutu package I would be on it the second it reopens... and the second after I finish backing up my installers.

Same here. I actually discovered Tutu last week and never played any Baldur's Gate before... well beside trying the french versions I have somewhere at my parents'. When a friend told me about Tutu for Baldur's Gate 1 it was the push I needed to try to play through them at least one time (once I finish some of the games I'm currently playing).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

synertia posted:

There's nothing like taking a level 1 monk from a pussy who runs around kiting ogres and tossing the odd dart to a badass quivering palm mage destroyer.

I only got vanilla BG2 (after buying NWN as my first ever DnD RPG and going back for Bioware's back catalogue)and I'm relishing the chance to play through the whole story.

e: also being a bit older and wiser and able to work out what the hell is going on with 2nd edition rules.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

emoticon posted:

The majority of consumers are too stupid to care.

I've fixed that for you. Sadly, the real problem is the majority of cretins out there for whom critical thinking is too complicated and political action is boring because they'd rather be watching the latest reality show and playing Modern Warfare 2 with their bros. The worst part is probably the people who are smart enough to realise that things aren't the way they should be but who are so apathetic and lazy that they'd rather sit around insulting the people who actually try to start boycotts than do something productive.

Hey, if you enjoy being treated like cattle by businesses it's your choice, but please kill yourself so people who'd rather not be pushed around by corporate entities can actually have an impact on those entities' business practices. Thanks!

Hemish posted:

the french versions

:hf: fellow victim of Imoen's even-worse-in-French-oh-god-it's-so-bad voice acting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Industrial posted:

You can take your business nowhere, which hurts them just as much.
I can't believe how upset you are by this and how much you've whined. It's as if you had pinned your entire week's plans on being able to access GOG and are now left with utterly nothing else to do.

I agree their communication has been abysmal, but they always claimed you'd have access to your purchases again. There was no sense for you, or anyone else, to freak the gently caress out over this until at least the week elapsed and they hadn't made good on their promise.

In the minute scheme of things, this has been a slight nuisance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

I can't believe how upset you are by this and how much you've whined. It's as if you had pinned your entire week's plans on being able to access GOG and are now left with utterly nothing else to do.

I agree their communication has been abysmal, but they always claimed you'd have access to your purchases again. There was no sense for you, or anyone else, to freak the gently caress out over this until at least the week elapsed and they hadn't made good on their promise.

Something else that I have found amusing is that he has only purchased 3 games from gog and is infinitely more outraged than some of the others here who have 30+.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I've got 35 backed up and I'm sure that's not all of them. If nothing else this is a good reminder to make sure I have the rest.

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
As annoying as this is and as dumb as it is if it turns out to be a publicity stunt (which actually worked I might add, if you follow the all publicity is good publicity philosophy), I'll be right back on GoG without a care in the world when and if it comes back. I'll just be less inclined to believe them the next time they do something silly.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Duckandor posted:

quote:

to have gog.com service, global digital distribution platform for their games, as well as other games producers, issued under license

So basically GOG.com are re-opening as a service whereby other services (Steam, D2D, GG, Impulse etc.) can license their service and therefore sell their Good Old Games for them?

At least, that's what I get from this badly translated Polish.

Edit: Then again, because it is badly translated Polish, they could simply be restating how GOG.com currently works - that is, they license games and sell them through the service.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 22, 2010

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Centipeed posted:

So basically GOG.com are re-opening as a service whereby other services (Steam, D2D, GG, Impulse etc.) can license their service and therefore sell their Good Old Games for them?

Edit: Then again, because it is badly translated Polish, they could simply be restating how GOG.com currently works - that is, they license games and sell them through the service.

It makes sense though. gog.com as an entirely independent store is a flawed buisness model and we saw that when they started selling games that were neither that old nor that good. The unique service they provide is rendering old games workable on new systems; that's something that's easily licensable out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Centipeed posted:

The way I read that is CD Projekt's games, and games from other publishers under license, can be sold through GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Ansob. posted:

I've fixed that for you. Sadly, the real problem is the majority of cretins out there for whom critical thinking is too complicated and political action is boring because they'd rather be watching the latest reality show and playing Modern Warfare 2 with their bros. The worst part is probably the people who are smart enough to realise that things aren't the way they should be but who are so apathetic and lazy that they'd rather sit around insulting the people who actually try to start boycotts than do something productive.
Most of the time, yeah, people aren't even really aware this is going on. That's why raising a fuss can be the best strat, simply because a small group can't effectively boycott but can make themselves a bloody nuisance.

That requires something a bit more than just message board posts, though. gently caress, even twitter trending would be more useful than THAT.

teethgrinder posted:

Meh, I think it's a bit more significant than that. It highlights just how ephemeral digital "purchases" really are, and how you can never truly rely on a company to act in your best interests, only theirs. It's just mitigated because most people aren't truly affected by it; if GOG had had some sort of phone-home DRM scheme on their games, people would be shouting a LOT louder.

(Well, shouting, and then getting the damned things cracked. Let's be honest, here, people tolerate DRM as long as they have unimpeded access to the product, and no farther. If a DRM service died, that poo poo would be gone in minutes for everybody who even knows that cracks exist.)

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 22, 2010